gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:55:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Janelle Monáe feat. Brian Wilson - Dirty Computer  (Read 12803 times)
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFK6k-pvXmI

3D

Officially out now
https://twitter.com/JanelleMonae/status/989714403867017216

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:20:08 PM by Fro » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »

Sounds good! Way to go Brian! Is that Matt on falsetto/high voice? On first listen I'd think it might be a couple of Brian's and a couple of Matt's
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:08:59 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:09:15 AM »

I really can't hear any Brian in this at all. Nice song though.
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 04:16:39 AM »

Sounds good! Way to go Brian! Is that Matt on falsetto/high voice? On first listen I'd think it might be a couple of Brian's and a couple of Matt's

Wikipedia says (I'm assuming from the physical album credits) that it's Brian Wilson & Matt Jardine on that track.

Also says Brian contributed backing vocals to Take a Byte and you can barely hear him in the background at 3:50ish here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuWyu7ipsJ8

I really can't hear any Brian in this at all. Nice song though.

The "ohhhhs" especially in the bottom of the stack are obviously Brian.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:16:19 AM by Fro » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 05:08:10 AM »

Lovely song, great textures. Maybe it's because we know, but I hear Brian in there too.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:21:42 AM »

Yes, the backing vocals are quite processed-sounding (which I think is probably justified for a song called "Dirty Computer"), and it does sound like a second voice like Matt is layered in there. But unlike some other past "guest" spots, I can *definitely* hear Brian's voice on this. It's quite prevalent. I can't imagine being familiar with his latter-day "vocal stack" sound and not being able to *easily* ID him on this.

I think Matt Jardine also does a much better job of blending *into* Brian's vocal stacks than Foskett (or Bennett, etc.) ever did. If Foskett had been on this, it would have sounded like a "wall of Fosketts." But here on Monae's track, Matt's high part sounds much more Brian-esque.

Also worth noting, and another reason I'm guessing the processing/autotune sound to the backing vocal stacks is a very specific stylistic choice is that Monae's voice *doesn't* sound heavily processed. It sounds surprisingly natural; you can actually hear the voice crack/break (although that's partly due to that style of singing), which I think is hugely refreshing.

The song itself is a nice little tune. It's short and does almost sound more like an opening prologue than a full song. But I'll be honest, if you made this a bit more rock/pop sounding in the *very general* framework of what Brian might do on his own albums, I'd frankly prefer a song like *this* to an album of Brian covering Little Richard and Buddy Holly.

I've never been one to overhype stuff like this and attack a ton of significance to the shocking idea of some young now-famous artist "allowing" an old fogey artist a bit of new exposure. But geez, it's pretty cool that this younger artist whose previous work doesn't exactly scream "much be a huge Beach Boys fan!" is into brining Brian in and prominently featuring him as a guest.

I'd have to scour previous Brian vocal guest spots from the last 20-30 years, but this might be one of the better Brian guest spots since his stack-o-vocals on that Anton Fig album from like 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:22:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »

Brian really needs to work with more super talented, relevant artists. This may be a small spot, but it's a lovely song and he sounds good on there. Still holding out hope that we'll get that Frank Ocean/Lana Del Rey collaborations in some shape or other.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »

Sounds great!    Smiley
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/janelle-monae-talks-enlisting-brian-wilson-for-new-album-w519575

Quote from: Rolling Stone
Janelle Monáe recruited stars from the worlds of indie (Grimes) and hip-hop (Pharrell) to contribute to her new album Dirty Computer. But the very first collaborator that appears on the LP is none other than Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

"Do you know how much of an honor it is to have him on [the title track]?" she tells Rolling Stone. "I am such a Beach Boys fan."

The Monáe/Wilson summit is a sunny slice of cooled-out funk. Wilson's backing vocals kick in almost immediately: His voice is the second sound you hear on "Dirty Computer," singing high, dreamy, instantly recognizable harmonies. A rim-shot backbeat and limber bassline push the song gently forward. "If you love me, won't you please reply?" Monae implores. "Can't you see that it's only me, your dirty computer?"

Monáe knew she wanted Wilson on Dirty Computer early in the album's creation process. "I was researching the Beach Boys, [and] I found out that the reason why their sound was so quiet, and their harmonies were blended but they were soft, was because they didn't want to wake up their parents," Monáe explains. "They were secretly recording softly so they didn't disturb their parents, and I just thought that was so cool.

"[After making that discovery], there was nobody that I thought that could sing those backgrounds [on the song] but Brian Wilson," she adds. "I tracked him down and ... let him know what I was doing."

Wilson tells Rolling Stone, "I was thrilled she asked me to sing on her song." He calls Monáe "a real talent," adding, "I love the melody on this track and the harmonies very much."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 07:40:13 AM by Fro » Logged
MugginsXOXOXO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »

Love it. So great to see Brian working with great new talents.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »

Nice song--actually one of the better ones on the somewhat disappointing album (said the Monae fan). I like the song and Wilson's part.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »

It definitely sticks in your head. I think the harmonies are great. Brian has a much greater presence on this track than Al and Matt had in that disappointing John Mayer track.  I don't quite get the title or the reference here, and I don't find anything special about Janelle's vocals.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

Monáe knew she wanted Wilson on Dirty Computer early in the album's creation process. "I was researching the Beach Boys, [and] I found out that the reason why their sound was so quiet, and their harmonies were blended but they were soft, was because they didn't want to wake up their parents," Monáe explains. "They were secretly recording softly so they didn't disturb their parents, and I just thought that was so cool.

Why were their parents sleeping at Columbia studios?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 12:14:58 PM »

Yeah, it kinda sounds like she Googled the Beach Boys and found some random story that kinda doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm also not sure "soft" or "quiet" is the precise word I'd use to describe the group vocal stack sound they achieved over their career.

But guess what?

She called Brian Wilson up and got him to sing on her record. How many people here can call him up and have him sing on their song? And she probably even did it without putting some free cheese pizza in the break room for the session.

But yeah, how many people of that age doing that type of music profess to be a "big Beach Boys fan" and *ACTIVELY SEEK OUT* Brian Wilson (as opposed to someone's manager broaching the subject, etc.) to record with? I'll forgive the wonky "story" about not waking Murry up.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »

Why were their parents sleeping at Columbia studios?

The only way there is any validity to the story is if you don't think of it as when they were recording, but they probably did practice late at night quietly.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

I watched a segment on CBS Sunday Morning today on Janelle and it was fascinating. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/this-week-on-sunday-morning-april-29/

I'm thrilled that Brian and Matt sound so great on this song.  She knew what she was doing.  Never mind that she grew up a few miles away from me - She was in a tougher part of town (and much later!) and I was in the suburbs - but my Dad taught me to love Kansas City's music scene and she's blended that energy with the heavenly sound of Brian amazingly.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:23:27 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

I remember reading something many years ago where Brian was talking about how special "In My Room" was. He said he taught Dennis and Carl the song "Ivory Tower," and they would sing it softly in three-part harmony in their room after Murry would get angry and violent. It would bring them comfort.

Maybe that's what she was referring to, and said "recording" by mistake.

A young, popular artist admires Brian's work and asked him to appear on her album. We don't have to go all Andrew G. Doe on her if her facts aren't 100 percent correct.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

I remember reading something many years ago where Brian was talking about how special "In My Room" was. He said he taught Dennis and Carl the song "Ivory Tower," and they would sing it softly in three-part harmony in their room after Murry would get angry and violent. It would bring them comfort.

A young, popular artist admires Brian's work and asked him to appear on her album. We don't have to go all Andrew G. Doe on her if her facts aren't 100 percent correct.

Amen!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »

It's not about facts, it's just an incoherent sentence. Maybe it's a misquote.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »

Amen!!!

It's amazing that a young musical artist from a different culture gets it about Brian's power (that great healing music).  I love the recording.  As the Dalai Lama said, "All religion is just about love and compassion."  Brian knows how to make that compelling sound that's irresistible.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »

It's lovely. I mostly hear Matt, but I can definitely also hear Brian. I do wish Matt was listed on the YouTube, so listeners would know about him.

Any mention anywhere of who arranged the vocals? Was it a case where Brian was sent a recording and asked to arrange/sing the harmonies, or did Janelle arrange and tell Brian and Matt what to sing?
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 05:37:10 AM »

It definitely sticks in your head. I think the harmonies are great. Brian has a much greater presence on this track than Al and Matt had in that disappointing John Mayer track.  I don't quite get the title or the reference here, and I don't find anything special about Janelle's vocals.

For context, Monae's last two albums and an EP were concept albums with her protraying an android robot name Cindi Mayweather

Or you could watch the first couple minutes of the film she made to go along with the album and it explains it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdH2Sy-BlNE

Amen!!!

It's amazing that a young musical artist from a different culture gets it about Brian's power (that great healing music).  I love the recording.  As the Dalai Lama said, "All religion is just about love and compassion."  Brian knows how to make that compelling sound that's irresistible.

Monae's a real student of music/film history, so that's not surprising.  You can find influences in her work from the 1920s all the way to modern (and things in-between like James Brown, Beach Boys, John Barry's film scores, Prince, MJ, Stevie Wonder, etc).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:48:12 AM by Fro » Logged
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:32 AM »

For context, Monae's last two albums and an EP were concept albums with her protraying an android robot name Cindi Mayweather

Or you could watch the first couple minutes of the film she made to go along with the album and it explains it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdH2Sy-BlNE

Here's the song credits, taken from that video:

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:33 AM »

Sounds like a BW arrangement to me, especially those bass vocal bits.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »

Harmonies that have that texture are Brian's calling card. Janelle gets it, and I mean beyond the notes themselves. There is an overall texture that Brian owns when he does harmony vocals.

What I really liked about this was how Janelle sees those harmonies on another level beyond the simple practice of stacking vocals. She saw the texture, the mood, the whole vibe that exists on all those harmony parts Brian had done his whole career. That aspect of singing quietly, it adds that unique texture that musicians like Janelle picked up on which is something an artist with very good ears and sensibilities would hear and gravitate toward.

I got a vibe similar to "The Lonely Sea" or "In My Room" on this new track Dirty Computer. You hear both of those tracks, from 62-63, and there is that kind of sensitive, almost reverent vocal harmony sound that is unlike a lot of groups or artists who stacked vocals. I call it the X Factor, that element which sets them apart. And it sounds like Janelle may have had Lonely Sea or In My Room in mind with her title track because they share similar chord movements and overall moods...and who better to call in than the architect of those original sounds.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx