gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:58:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342235 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 25, 2021, 11:44:20 AM »

Same here I don't hear any comparison to Carl's voice and Christians. He just has a bland kind of annoying voice. As much as I dislike Bruce's voice I also would prefer if he just sang these songs live on lead
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 25, 2021, 01:11:47 PM »

Christian and Carl sound like they're related, but their voices are quite different. Christian's sister Hayleigh has a strong voice, and she sings with more Carl-like intonations.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:12:54 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1177 on: July 26, 2021, 02:27:07 AM »

Just saw that The Beach Boys are slated to perform at the rescheduled New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, which will be taking place for two weekends in October. The exact day/time TBD.
October is cooler than the usual time (April/May). However it’s Hurricane season…

There will be another 60s band...

Don't miss The Rolling Stones on October 13, the first-ever Jazz Fest Wednesday!
Tickets on sale Friday, July 30 at 10AM.
Visit nojazzfest.com for more information.

Chickensh!t

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1178 on: August 04, 2021, 12:12:50 PM »

The Beach Boys Concert In Elk Grove Village (July 27, 2021) - 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9xYrzeHuI

"Feel Flows" is in the set. Haven't found "It's about Time", but then I didn't watch the whole thing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: August 04, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »

It will be interesting to see if this renewed push in some areas of the US to restrict and regulate both businesses and people's ability to go out and do things like see shows will have an effect on all the tours currently booked, especially the indoor venues.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 04, 2021, 07:06:46 PM »

I watched some of that Elk Grove concert and I have to tell you it really is not good. Mike and Bruce just don't sound good at all. And I have to say Christian love just doesn't sound right singing some of the songs, he does sing lead on it's about time and just doesn't do a good job on it. He seems too slow and too bland. It's a shame what's happened with this band now
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 04, 2021, 09:42:29 PM »

I, too, just flipped through the vid. Vocals are rough across the band, not just M&B. Instrumentally, tight, but the lack of frequent performing and age is on grand display.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 05, 2021, 04:14:34 AM »

To your point, Scott sounds like he sang a portion of add some music to your day and he didn't sound good at all, very rough. And the guy who sings the falsetto part now who usually has been pretty good in the past just sounds like he's screeching now. Boy at 80 years old can Mike ust hang this up  already, what he's doing to the beach boy name and Legacy is awful.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 05, 2021, 07:09:15 AM »

The irony here is that after many months of rest between performances, the vocals sound tired.

I have found with many aging performers that the momentum is what keeps them going and their instrument (vocal or otherwise) in-check.

I worry that this will be a common situation with our classic bands of members age 70+ as they emerge out from the pandemic again.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 05, 2021, 07:20:43 AM »

Just re watched the video and it was Cowsil who sang the Add Some Music parts, and not real well. Watching alot of the rest of the so, I must add that IMHO Christian Love is a real weak spot in the vocals. Don't know what he contributes on the guitar, but vocally, his leads are weak, generally lagging behind the music a beat, and extremely bland. He now does the lead on Rhonda, and it remains a weak spot. Nepatism at it's best I guess, but the other guys in the vocal blend don't sound much better. Hard to believe the name f this band is the Beach Boys...such a downgrade from what I remember growing up in the 60s'/70s, not to mention the live performances in the 80's and 90's. Very weak.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: August 05, 2021, 08:23:36 AM »

Just re watched the video and it was Cowsil who sang the Add Some Music parts, and not real well. Watching alot of the rest of the so, I must add that IMHO Christian Love is a real weak spot in the vocals. Don't know what he contributes on the guitar, but vocally, his leads are weak, generally lagging behind the music a beat, and extremely bland. He now does the lead on Rhonda, and it remains a weak spot. Nepatism at it's best I guess, but the other guys in the vocal blend don't sound much better. Hard to believe the name f this band is the Beach Boys...such a downgrade from what I remember growing up in the 60s'/70s, not to mention the live performances in the 80's and 90's. Very weak.
This is EXACTLY why the name should be RETIRED and laid to rest. Let this collection of subpar wannabees continue under some other moniker but NOT under the Beach Boys name for god's sake! Unfortunately, as long as Mike Love is still around and being the moneygrubber he is, it's doubtful that will happen. Such a shame to see a once great band go down in flames like this.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Cry Cry

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 05, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »

You guys are getting a bit ridiculous with this subltle and not so subtle Mike Love hate.  By My count this was a band that had 26 public performances since July of 2020, its a safe bet to say they "werent in the groove" when this performance was given.  Give the guys a chance to get back into the swing of things.  For a band that normally does 150 shows a year only doing 30 up to the date of this concert is tough.  Im sure that Brians band will be off when he gets back out there as well.   And for the love of Christ please keep in mind this is a shitty camera mic trying to pick up an extermely loud band being blasted at it.  Not all cameras/mics are created equal. 
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 05, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »

Dude, this is no attack on Mike Love, at least from me. Mind you, I don't care for the guy or his antics, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote. They sounded bad, even the younger guys and Christian in particular. Listen to the show, and what this great band has accomplished in the past. I don't believe additional "practicing" from more performances will improve much here, frankly, they sound lousy, and just  tired and old. If I owned the Beach Boys name, there's no way I would allow this act to rip apart a once proud legacy. Case closed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1188 on: August 05, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »

Mike's band in the past has sounded tougher and tired when they do *too many* shows, though. Sometimes the tour schedules have them doing like 7, 8, 9, 10 shows in a row every day without a break, and there's often a lot of 7 shows in 8 days and 11 shows in 12 days, etc.

I have no reason to doubt a long layoff could be a factor in sounding rough, though the more shows they do, the less that seems to become a legit excuse.

There was a period of time after Totten really got the band squared away in past years that they sounded very good. Not particularly authentic, but undeniably professional and solid. I mean that as clinically and objectively as I can possibly be. It's just a lot of less distinctive voices in the vocal stacks, and a lot of backing members singing leads. Anyway, I do think in the last year or two, the band has sounded less tight. I think age *is* a factor, probably both for Mike/Bruce and some of the other guys. Too much time off or too many shows can both play a role as well.

And the band, going all the way back to the 90s, always sounds worse the more Stamos becomes involved, because he's literally an amateur musician.

A few hyperbolic comments aside, I think most of the comments about Mike's shows in this thread have been honest and not intended simply to attack. I think it's worth mentioning when Mike's band is sounding more rough than they have in quite some time. I think some of that would undoubtedly improve with time. Some other age-related issues may just be catching up and might not get particularly better.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 05, 2021, 04:46:32 PM »

They sounded bad, even the younger guys and Christian in particular. Listen to the show, and what this great band has accomplished in the past.

I haven’t listened to this show yet (I will). But I will say that from what I saw on the 4th (via CNN’s special), Mike, Bruce, and Christian all sounded horrible. I thought Ike sounded pretty good, though. I couldn’t pick out Scott Totten or John Cowsill in the vocal mix but I’m stilll trying to train myself to hear individual parts of the harmony stacks.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 05, 2021, 11:04:31 PM »

You guys are getting a bit ridiculous with this subltle and not so subtle Mike Love hate.  By My count this was a band that had 26 public performances since July of 2020, its a safe bet to say they "werent in the groove" when this performance was given.  Give the guys a chance to get back into the swing of things.  For a band that normally does 150 shows a year only doing 30 up to the date of this concert is tough.  Im sure that Brians band will be off when he gets back out there as well.   And for the love of Christ please keep in mind this is a shitty camera mic trying to pick up an extermely loud band being blasted at it.  Not all cameras/mics are created equal. 
You can't win with this crowd. If this was Brian and his band, they would be falling all over themselves, making excuses for poor performances.
I do wonder, though, with the resurgence in Covid cases, what will happen with live concerts in the next couple of months. The Beach Boys will be here Labor Day weekend, and I'm not sure that I want to be packed into a big crowd like I was 2 years ago.
On the other hand, it's always possible that this time could be the last time.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: August 06, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »

There's some footage of the show in Castle Rock on Youtube. This is just one of the videos:

409, Shut Dow and I Get Around - Beach Boys Castle Rock, CO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sky66GryhGM

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 06, 2021, 11:16:26 AM »

Even though this is an audience recording to me it sounds worse than Elk Grove.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: August 07, 2021, 07:52:58 AM »

Even though this is an audience recording to me it sounds worse than Elk Grove.

Equally wobbly vocals. I will say, that is a damn good crowd. I can't tell ya how many times I've been yelled at for standing at Mike and Bruce show...
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 08, 2021, 04:30:32 AM »

I think he sounds fantastic on dance dance dance on this concert
https://youtu.be/qK9xYrzeHuI?t=1992
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: August 08, 2021, 06:24:40 AM »

I wonder what Bruce gets paid for his contribution to the live Act. Got to be the easiest gig and rock and roll for years and years and years now.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: August 08, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »

If I didn't have "Beach Boys" in a news feed I never would have noticed it, but there seems to be a different marketing strategy in play for Mike's shows, all published in the past week. Whatever the reasons, whatever the implications, if it's for a small cluster of tour dates or more overreaching in scope, it was hard to miss.

Check these links and headlines, and it literally jumps off the screen:

John Stamos to Join The Beach Boys For Free Concert at Indiana State Fair
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/john-stamos-to-join-the-beach-boys-for-free-concert-at-indiana-state-fair/2584536/

John Stamos of 'Full House' fame to join Beach Boys for Iowa State Fair concert
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/iowa-state-fair/2021/08/04/iowa-state-fair-2021-grandstand-beach-boys-concert-adds-john-stamos-hanson/5477552001/

MO State Fair: John Stamos to perform with The Beach Boys
https://www.koamnewsnow.com/mo-state-fair-john-stamos-to-perform-with-the-beach-boys/

John Stamos added to the Beach Boys' concert at the Factory
https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/kevin-johnson/john-stamos-added-to-the-beach-boys-concert-at-the-factory/article_8960a6c1-5016-5463-b8a5-60e50bc9361e.html

The special guest seems to be getting a bigger billing than the headline act.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 08, 2021, 10:52:04 AM »

If I didn't have "Beach Boys" in a news feed I never would have noticed it, but there seems to be a different marketing strategy in play for Mike's shows, all published in the past week. Whatever the reasons, whatever the implications, if it's for a small cluster of tour dates or more overreaching in scope, it was hard to miss.

Check these links and headlines, and it literally jumps off the screen:

John Stamos to Join The Beach Boys For Free Concert at Indiana State Fair
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/john-stamos-to-join-the-beach-boys-for-free-concert-at-indiana-state-fair/2584536/

John Stamos of 'Full House' fame to join Beach Boys for Iowa State Fair concert
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/iowa-state-fair/2021/08/04/iowa-state-fair-2021-grandstand-beach-boys-concert-adds-john-stamos-hanson/5477552001/

MO State Fair: John Stamos to perform with The Beach Boys
https://www.koamnewsnow.com/mo-state-fair-john-stamos-to-perform-with-the-beach-boys/

John Stamos added to the Beach Boys' concert at the Factory
https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/music/kevin-johnson/john-stamos-added-to-the-beach-boys-concert-at-the-factory/article_8960a6c1-5016-5463-b8a5-60e50bc9361e.html

The special guest seems to be getting a bigger billing than the headline act.

Wow… Some marketing person crunched the numbers and realized that more people  attend the shows if they bill John Stamos in that way.

As ridiculous as it is, I can understand if it actually packs more people into the venue why they would do it.

But shameless to be so relentless in the marketing about Uncle Jesse.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 08, 2021, 11:38:23 AM »

Whatever!. How embarrassing that Mike Love has to use the awful Stamos as a crutch to sell more tickets. Mike and Bruce with their band of unknowns are horrible enough but with Stamos in tow, I can't think of how the fake wannabe Beach Boys could be more embarrassing.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 08, 2021, 12:16:24 PM »

Mark McGrath: ‘Hold My Beer’.  Beer
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx