gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:20:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342373 times)
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 16, 2020, 09:53:49 PM »

Yeah these don't look like socially distanced/outdoor gigs at all, what's going on?
The shows were advertised as being sold at full capacity, and that everyone should wear a mask.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1076 on: November 17, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »

If those recent Utah shows were sold at full capacity with no gaps in seating, then that's even *crazier* than I thought.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 17, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »

If those recent Utah shows were sold at full capacity with no gaps in seating, then that's even *crazier* than I thought.

All Mike cares about is how many tickets he sells.

If he can get away with it, he will, that is his go-to mentality.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 17, 2020, 04:40:56 PM »

Very good, CD! I see you're starting to see through this jackass.  Cool

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 17, 2020, 05:34:08 PM »

Very good, CD! I see you're starting to see through this jackass.  Cool

Believe me I've always known he was a jackass, but I was willing to *try* to give him the benefit of the doubt for a very long time. His currency with me has completely expired as I'm sure is the case with many others. This year was the nail in his coffin for any respect or benefit of the doubt I ever gave him.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: November 19, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »

I think these clips prove that the recent Drive In show was a fluke...

Sloop/WIBN: https://youtu.be/OyVRuQQ9OxI

Bruce KILLS the lead. Sounds strong, considering his age.

California Sun: https://youtu.be/7PqP9hUGpNk

Mike sounds like Mike f*ckin Love!!! Not the warbly mess from the drive in show. A little shaky? Yeah, but still sounds fabulous.

Interesting, and to me very pleasing, to see Randell filling in for Scott. He’s an excellent singer, guitarist, bassist whose played with BBs, J&D, BW band, Dean/Alan/David “allstar” band— definitely earned his stripes. Of the best (non BW falsettos/BW Imitation)  my list goes in order goes  Al (62-early 80’s), Ike, Kirsch, Baker (on a good day), and lastly Foskett. That’s not to say I don’t love Jeff’s voice, but his mid range is where he shines in my opinion, and the falsetto could be very pitchy at times, my two cents.... a long tangent to say, that I’m happy to see Kirsch back in the picture, even if only temporary. All these sidemen are obviously so dedicated to the music, given that when they leave the BBs/Solo/J&D bands, they start/join tribute  bands.

Anyway, in my opinion the horrible vocals of the Drive In show were probably a combination of Mike being under the weather (G-d willing, not Covid) and shitty monitoring. And The Beach Boys, as a touring band, still seem to be a fabulous Unit.

Bruce sounds really rough in that Sloop John B lead . It sounds like 3 different people trying to fight over the lead . I’ve always felt that Mikes band is at their weakest on Sloop and WIBN that traditionally had strong leads from Al and Carl.
California sun is fine . It’s a good arrangement for Mike to sing .
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 19, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »

They've added a drive-in Christmas show in CA...it popped up on Facebook today...if anyone cares. The comments were overwhelming with folks calling out Mike for his recent associations with No. 45 ...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 21, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »

I have no problem with the band continuing to do shows where it's allowed. I would do the same if I could, but I live in one of those west coast liberal states where they don't even want us to visit our parents on the holidays.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 21, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »

I think these clips prove that the recent Drive In show was a fluke...

Sloop/WIBN: https://youtu.be/OyVRuQQ9OxI

Bruce KILLS the lead. Sounds strong, considering his age.

California Sun: https://youtu.be/7PqP9hUGpNk

Mike sounds like Mike f*ckin Love!!! Not the warbly mess from the drive in show. A little shaky? Yeah, but still sounds fabulous.

Interesting, and to me very pleasing, to see Randell filling in for Scott. He’s an excellent singer, guitarist, bassist whose played with BBs, J&D, BW band, Dean/Alan/David “allstar” band— definitely earned his stripes. Of the best (non BW falsettos/BW Imitation)  my list goes in order goes  Al (62-early 80’s), Ike, Kirsch, Baker (on a good day), and lastly Foskett. That’s not to say I don’t love Jeff’s voice, but his mid range is where he shines in my opinion, and the falsetto could be very pitchy at times, my two cents.... a long tangent to say, that I’m happy to see Kirsch back in the picture, even if only temporary. All these sidemen are obviously so dedicated to the music, given that when they leave the BBs/Solo/J&D bands, they start/join tribute  bands.

Anyway, in my opinion the horrible vocals of the Drive In show were probably a combination of Mike being under the weather (G-d willing, not Covid) and shitty monitoring. And The Beach Boys, as a touring band, still seem to be a fabulous Unit.

BOTH Bruce and Mike sound like they're singing from their deathbeds. They both need to retire to their rocking chairs in an assisted living facility. Mike Love could barely reach down and pick up something. Knowing that clown, he'll still try in vain to perform when he's in hospice which could be any day.  LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: December 07, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »

OmG, this was posted on Facebook:

Join The Beach Boys with special guests John Stamos and Mark McGrath for their performance at City National Grove of Anaheim’s Drive-In OC on December 13th. You can expect to hear songs from their critically acclaimed album Pet Sounds, as well as other Beach Boys classics. Tickets are available now via  AXS.com.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 07, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »

I see a few gigs are showing up in the UK next summer. Vaccine or not, possibly a bit early for considering concerts imo.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 07, 2020, 05:54:56 PM »

I grew up associating Stamos with Mike Love and the Beach Boys, but can someone tell me how Sugar Ray got wrapped up with Mike and crew? I'd be so upset if I paid for tickets and showed up.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 07, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »

I grew up associating Stamos with Mike Love and the Beach Boys, but can someone tell me how Sugar Ray got wrapped up with Mike and crew? I'd be so upset if I paid for tickets and showed up.

I seem to recall reading that a member of Mark McGrath's Sugar Ray was perhaps married to somebody associated with Mike? Or perhaps it's one of the parents of one of the SR members, or some in-law.

There's some connection there I just don't remember and can't be bothered to look it up at the moment, but in any event oddly enough those guys fit together so well (insert eyeroll) because they both have that lame orange county "bro" contingent that thinks they are really swell.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 07, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »

Carl Wilson's first wife, Annie Hinsche (Billy's sister), is married to Terry Karges and is stepmother to his son Murphy, who was in Sugar Ray.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:08:11 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: December 08, 2020, 06:50:50 AM »

Both Mark McGrath and Mike were represented by the same agency and agent, the late John Ferriter who passed away in 2019.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 08, 2020, 07:44:06 AM »

Carl Wilson's first wife, Annie Hinsche (Billy's sister), is married to Terry Karges and is stepmother to his son Murphy, who was in Sugar Ray.

Both Mark McGrath and Mike were represented by the same agency and agent, the late John Ferriter who passed away in 2019.

Thanks Emdeeh and GF. I tend to think they probably met at some sort of social event pertaining to these connections, but seeing as McGrath seems to fanboy out over Mike, like the infamous clip singing the horribly redone "Do It Again" front of the US Capitol where McGrath with eyes bugged out silently mimes to the audience something like "that's Mike Love!" - where it appears he's almost having a "I'm not worthy" Wayne's World fanboy moment - Mike probably just found a younger musician who has some female fans and is riding those coattails, and McGrath being a Mike fanboy is an added bonus.

Ironically that I say younger, because McGrath is in his 50s, but that's still almost 30 years younger than Mike.

The horrible redone studio version of "do it again" is the only evidence needed to show that this is not a match made in musical heaven - it's so very terrible, comparatively speaking I'd rather listen to the also awful "summer of love" then to that piece of drek.

Does anyone really want to see Mark McGrath of all people become yet another unofficial member of the Beach Boys? Because it seems that's what already happened. This reminds me of a late stage unnecessary add-on like Cousin Oliver from the Brady Bunch - a blatantly obvious, harebrained scheme designed to shore up falling ratings. His repeated presence is so completely unnecessary and ridiculous.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:01:29 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: December 08, 2020, 08:06:25 AM »

The irony in all this can be seen on full display when you factor in how Murphy Karges was one of two Sugar Ray band members who sued Mark McGrath in 2013 in a lawsuit that rings a familiar bell for Beach Boys fans regarding the actions of a frontman described as "egomaniacal", and the notion of band members using the name at will while effectively shutting out other band members. In this case, Karges was the bassist who was sidelined as "Sugar Ray" became a name band featuring Mark and the guitarist.

Read that saga here among other outlets: https://news.avclub.com/and-now-two-members-of-sugar-ray-are-suing-mark-mcgrath-1798241393?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_source=imdb

So unless some kind of blockbuster deal or settlement got struck between all these guys from Sugar Ray, and I have no idea if that's the case, I doubt there have been many warm and cozy feelings between Karges and McGrath since late 2013, if they've had any contact at all outside the legal actions. And worth noting that "Sugar Ray" got a new deal in recent years but "Sugar Ray" is now only the guitarist and McGrath working as a duo with other musicians backing them or filling in.

]I just find it ironic especially in this case how the stories of both Mike and Mark McGrath are intertwined this way, with these conflicts about the band name and how band members are treated and dismissed/replaced at will.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: December 08, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »

And I still have never heard of Sugar Ray or Mark McGrath, apart from the "Do it again" recording.

I will say this again, please don't read any further if you don't want to hear someone complain about the current "Beach Boys" situation:

Like it or not, this band is called "The Beach Boys" and like it or not, to the casual concert goer they represent that act. There was a time when "The Beach Boys" shared a stage with people like Elton John, Paul Simon, Ringo Starr, Jimmy Page, The Eagles, Billy Joel, Grateful Dead a.s.o. And now all they get is John Stamos and Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray?
It just goes to show you how the business looks at the Beach Boys' groups nowadays. Mike has McGrath and Stamos, playing Trump fundraisers (although it seems like they got some better gigs in the aftermath of the 2012 reunion) and Drive-Ins, while Brian plays Live Aid, the Queen's Jubilee, Glastonbury and Beach Life and has people like Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Idol, Bonnie Raitt and Paul McCartney joining him on stage every once in a while.

This is not to put down any single member personally, but it's just so exasperating.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 08, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »

And I still have never heard of Sugar Ray or Mark McGrath, apart from the "Do it again" recording.

I will say this again, please don't read any further if you don't want to hear someone complain about the current "Beach Boys" situation:

Like it or not, this band is called "The Beach Boys" and like it or not, to the casual concert goer they represent that act. There was a time when "The Beach Boys" shared a stage with people like Elton John, Paul Simon, Ringo Starr, Jimmy Page, The Eagles, Billy Joel, Grateful Dead a.s.o. And now all they get is John Stamos and Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray?
It just goes to show you how the business looks at the Beach Boys' groups nowadays. Mike has McGrath and Stamos, playing Trump fundraisers (although it seems like they got some better gigs in the aftermath of the 2012 reunion) and Drive-Ins, while Brian plays Live Aid, the Queen's Jubilee, Glastonbury and Beach Life and has people like Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Idol, Bonnie Raitt and Paul McCartney joining him on stage every once in a while.

This is not to put down any single member personally, but it's just so exasperating.

I think this is the issue so many of us fans have with this style of fast-food entertainment: it cheapens the brand - a brand that already has perpetual footnotes attached to the legacy in the form of the infighting, lawsuits, tactless comments barraged at certain members.

The other part of me wants to be naive and say: hey, Mike Love is up there having fun with some other musicians, why be a schmuck and complain about it?

But I also realize that The Beach Boys keep being dragged down into the mire thanks to little things like this. If it's not Pet Sounds being supposedly racist, it's Mike playing a damn trophy hunting gig or a Trump fundraiser. Or it's Mike making some snide and unnecessary comment regarding his cousin. Every time a major article comes out about the Beach Boys it most always includes how screwed up the band is in one way or another.

I'm not saying that recent guest artists are going to topple an unshakable legacy, but all these little things get attached to the legacy - every little bit adds up. Basically, in the last decade almost more bad things have been associated with The Beach Boys than good things. Yes, we got an amazing reunion but that energy and positivity flipped to utter disappointment overnight...and ever since then we have seen The Beach Boys name attach itself to horrendously stupid causes, band drama, and rather lackluster artists.

I literally can't hear the original 'Do It Again' without hearing Mark McGrath shout "Do it!" every 2 seconds in the back of my mind. Why on earth this was remade and why on earth it was promoted at concerts like it was a Beach Boys album is beyond me - I think the original album had a sticker on it with The Beach Boys logo. It's insane how this band has absolutely no quality control or management to speak of.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 08, 2020, 07:27:46 PM »

All I have to say about the whole mess is, if the other real Beach Boys don't like what Mike is doing to their legacy, all they have to do is revoke that touring license.
It's that simple.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: December 08, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »

All I have to say about the whole mess is, if the other real Beach Boys don't like what Mike is doing to their legacy, all they have to do is revoke that touring license.
It's that simple.

I’m not saying that they don’t thoroughly enjoy the extra money they receive from Mike’s touring...but even if they wanted to live without the extra cash, the legal hassle and fighting that would ensue if they tried to take away the license would be lethal to these guys now. It seems simple enough to say they can revoke the license, but like everything else regarding The Beach Boys: it’s not black and white and a billion strings seem to be attached to every decision that is made. Case in point: some thing apparently not even related to Feel Flows almost ended up canceling Feel Flows.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about The Beach Boys since becoming a fan it’s that nothing is simple when it comes to this band.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 09, 2020, 01:09:46 AM »

It's that simple.

And Mike would tie BRI up in litigation to the point where it is possible that their respective heirs would be inheriting the suit.

So, no. Not that simple.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 09, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »

To no one's surprise, this week's upcoming drive-in show for M&B has been postponed to an undetermined date in 2021, due to California's renewed Covid-19 restrictions.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/12/09/the-beach-boys-postpone-drive-in-oc-show-in-anaheim-due-to-covid-19-restrictions/
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 10, 2020, 02:03:33 AM »

Wish there'd been an 'alert' or something for the UK tickets... now only the crappy seats available
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 11, 2020, 01:01:44 PM »

Maybe we need to start a 2021 thread, since 2021 dates are starting to get rescheduled.

March 30 -- New Bedford, MA -- Zeiterion Performing Arts Center
The venue has postponed this show, new date TBA

Source:
https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/news/2020/12/11/zeiterion-performing-arts-center-postpones-indoor-shows-through-june/3894225001/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx