gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:10:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342240 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #700 on: September 05, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »

It's interesting to watch Mike's band balloon in size considering his stated aversion to a larger band during C50. He noted there were too many members on stage competing for parts. This from the guy who now has three keyboardists on stage (and/or three guitarists) in addition to a non-vocalist bassist and a sax player. Plus Stamos when he shows up.

If you look at some of the C50 videos there's about 7 guitarists - way over the top!
Although I think Al's guitar goes into the same fader as Bruce's keyboard - all at zero. Ditto Brian's occasionally-played bass.

Nah, there was nothing over the top about the C50 band. Sure, that contingent isn’t needed to perform “409”, but it is needed to perform later era material. Just like when you have a sax player. They aren’t needed on every song, but they’re there for a reason. If ever there was a tour that shouldn’t cheap out because every person on stage isn’t needed on every single song, it would be that tour.

By my count, there were only six on guitar at max: Al, David, Foskett, Totten, Probyn, and Nicky. That was down to five when Nicky left the tour.

You can’t even really count Al and David towards the “needed musicians” count, as the five principal members were on that tour because they were the five principal members. Foskett was there mostly as Brian’s right hand man, and to do falsetto parts. It was really only three main integral guitarists: Totten, Probyn, and Nicky. And Nicky was gone less than half way into the tour.

I'm not saying the tour would have imploded if one or two members had been dropped; clearly part of the deal was to essentially keep Brian's band around him as a comfort and cushion. But all of the backing musicians from both bands added to that tour. The only musician spots that were *sometimes* not adding much to the show were Brian's piano, Bruce's keyboard, and maybe Al's guitar.

If having the large band is part of the deal to have Brian Wilson on that tour, then you make it happen.

I always contended, as a fan, I wouldn't have had any problem if the guys had actually tried to compromise to make another tour happen and wheel and deal and maybe shave a few members from the tour. But I never once felt there was anything detrimental to the show having that band on stage.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:02:22 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 05, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »

UEF, I disagree.

Al was often audible on Come Go With Me and Sail On Sailor to name a few, but I think he was audible the whole time, just buried in the mix. With Bruce its a bit more complicated, it seems like he's miming often, but I've been told by Scott Totten himself that Bruce's keyboard "is on the whole time" and he does play some important parts. I think Bruce and Al obviously coast instrumentally, and even more so during C50 with the huge lineup of musicians, but I highly doubt they're completely inaudible the entire show. I've seen them both live and can distinctly remember hearing them. Al throughout each show I saw him. Bruce during Hawaii, Disney Girls, Don't Worry Baby, Good Vibrations, Darlin, and some others when I've seen Mike's group through the years.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #702 on: September 05, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »

Brian, Bruce, and Al are all good musicians, and they're all playing during shows. How heavily they're in the "house mix" varies from tour to tour and song to song.

Sometimes they simply stop playing and only sing; those instances are obvious.

At other times, they're kind of there in the background and, as Bruce once said about his keyboard during shows, you only really notice it if it drops out of the mix completely.

In any event, to say Bruce's keyboard hasn't been an integral element to live shows for decades isn't to denigrate his musicianship. It's simply an observation. I think all five of the BBs could have just manned mics and not played at all on C50 if they had wanted. They all also could have played prominently.

The point is that everybody on that tour was nailing it. It wasn't rote like 90s shows. Everybody propped up everybody else where needed. It was amazing, and it will always simultaneously be remembered as a great tour, and also a blight on the band's late era story because some members stupidly threw it away to go back to being a high-end Motown oldies show instead of an arena band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 05, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »

Wow, that is a bit confusing. So now Bonfilgio is out and they have some other random guy, now on keyboards? They need three keyboardists? I always thought Totten could do a resonable falsetto.

If Bonfiglio is out to go back to Brian's band, it's weird they had Kirsch in just for two gigs with Brian? Not to mention, why wouldn't Mike just have Randell Kirsch come back and sub in again in *his* band? I guess I would normally wonder if that would be awkward if the speculation/indications were correct that Kirsch got elbowed out of the band to make room for Eichenberger back in 2015. But I recall that when Eichenberger left again a year or two after that, they had Kirsch back for at least a few gigs until they got a new bass player (which I think is still that Hubacher guy).

It's weird how Mike is now choosing to balloon his band more. It appears Hubacher rarely if ever sings, so I wonder why a couple years ago Mike chose to replace Eichenberger (who sang and played bass) with *two* members, one who sings (Christian Love) and one who doesn't (Hubacher)

For the life of me I couldn't figure out who was on the keyboards at the Puyallup show 9/2 (to Mike's direct left, with Bruce being at Mike's direct right). After some digging I figured out it was Matthew Jordan (https://matthewjordan.com/). Sounds like he did some shows with them in August, in place of Bonfiglio. Not sure if Bonfiglio is returning or if Jordan is filling in until someone else returns (Eichenberger?)
Thank you for the link. I am officially a fan of this guy now. I thought his falsetto leads were excellent.

Matt Jordan is scheduled to appear with M&B the next couple of months until Ike's return.

And I have no idea who Ike is.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: September 05, 2019, 09:49:51 PM »

Brian Eichenberger, who was briefly in Brian’s band (having replaced someone who was even briefer in the band) and then joined M&B

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 06, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

Brian Eichenberger, who was briefly in Brian’s band (having replaced someone who was even briefer in the band) and then joined M&B

Yeah, I think he may regret some of his past decisions, but I really don't know what's happening in his career these days.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #706 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:34 PM »

I’ve been trying to remember whom he replaced in Brian’s band for s while now. I know whomever it was only did a few shows

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #707 on: September 06, 2019, 02:20:18 PM »

I’ve been trying to remember whom he replaced in Brian’s band for s while now. I know whomever it was only did a few shows

I think the sequence of events was as follows:

- Foskett was gone after the late 2013 shows. When precisely he was gone versus when he ended up signing on with Mike's band isn't too clear. What we do know is that a replacement for Foskett wasn't mentioned until well into 2014, possibly after Foskett joined Mike's band.

- Foskett was first replaced by Matt Jardine. Matt did a few gigs with Brian's band (including a few July 2014 UK gigs, where Al also attended instead of doing that infamous Jones Beach gig with Mike's band).

- Matt then was gone. Whether temporary or permanent at that moment in time, I don't know. The first temp fill-in for Matt was Chad Odhner from the Fendertones. As I recall, he only did one or two gigs in 2014, and it was pretty clear he was both a *last minute* fill-in (suggesting Matt had to miss shows on short notice perhaps?) and almost certainly always a temp fill in.

- After a gig or two, Brian Eichenberger came on, filling Odhner/Matt Jardine's spot. He did the rest of the scattered 2014 tour dates that Brian Wilson had scheduled.

- Matt Jardine did *join* Eichenberger for the Las Vegas PBS taping on December 12, 2014.

- Eichenberger continued into 2015 with Brian's band doing at least one or two TV shows to promote NPP.

- Then, seemingly out of the blue, Mike Love announced on Facebook that Randell Kirsch was leaving his band and the replacement was Eichenberger. This certainly made it appear (to me anyway, and many other fans) that Mike actively poached Eichenberger from Brian's band, and sent Kirsch packing as a result.

- Very shortly after that (the same day or within a few days?), Brian Wilson announced that Matt Jardine was rejoining his band.

Since that time, Matt Jardine has been mostly full-time with Brian's band. It's clear from a variety of social media/online postings and whatnot that Matt works hard to balance family time and being out on tour, and so on occasion he does take time off. One such instance was last year's XMas gigs, where Rob Bonfiglio filled in for Matt.

Meanwhile, in Mike's band, Eichenberger replaced Kirsche on bass/vocals in 2015 (after Foskett replaced Christian Love in 2014), but within about two years or so, around early 2017, Eichenberger was back out for the birth of his child, and it seems at that point, or around that point, Mike brought back Christian Love and also then needed a bass player replacement. Randell Kirsch came back and did a few gigs on bass at that point, but the spot was quickly filled full-time by (mostly) non-vocalist bass player Keith Hubacher.

That lineup was intact for about two years, and since around the beginning of 2019, Foskett has been out on leave and his apparent temporary replacement was Brian Eichenberger, this time coming back on guitar instead of bass. It seems Eichenberger has had a similar thing going on as Matt Jardine as far as trying to balance family time and being out on tour, and thus Eichenberger has gone off the road several times, replaced by Rob Bonfiglio and later this Matthew Jordan guy. Eichenberger's absence has been described as "paternity leave", suggesting he will be back.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:32:36 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #708 on: September 06, 2019, 02:43:14 PM »

It's interesting that, typically, touring band's like Mike's especially, and to some degree Brian's, typically want to run a streamlined operation and seek out commitments from band members for set periods of time. I would imagine, in the past, generally speaking, if Mike Love approached you to join his band and you told him you'd need a number of breaks during the year to leave the road, he'd typically look elsewhere.

But apparently top-tier falsetto/high voice singer/musicians who can pull of all those Brian Wilson parts are in some kind of short supply, so we're seeing the inordinately large amount of (literal) musical chairs this year with both bands.

It appears maybe Mike's band might be hitting a few tiny bumps in the road as they choose to seek out new temps/fill-ins rather than calling up old associates like Kirsch, Farmer, Baker, Bardowell, etc. There are easily over a dozen players/singers in the BB-offshoot-cover band orb that they could be calling up, especially for temp fill-in gigs. I think Mike's main struggle at the moment is filling the falsetto spot. For a while he had two fully capable guys in Foskett and Eichenberger, and with both gone, and with Bonfiglio appearing to lean more into going back to Brian's band, Mike has few easy choices apparently. He's not calling back Baker or Kirsch (not calling back Kirsch is especially odd considering Kirsch already *has* come back for some gigs since being gone in 2015), and he's not apparently trying to lean on Totten to do more falsetto parts (which would then free him up to a much wider array of auxiliary musicians who could just fill in on rhythm guitar or keyboards, like Billy Hinsche or Chris Farmer or Phil Bardowell or even friggin' Ed Carter or Billy Hinsche). I think something else at play,and I'm just guessing, might be that Mike seems to prefer to add relatively younger players to his band. I have plenty of theories for why that is (for another time), some more obvious than others. But between possibly burned bridges with some ex-band members, and seeking out younger members, that would then limit that pool of players to work from.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:46:45 PM by HeyJude » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: September 06, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »

The first temp fill-in for Matt was Chad Odhner from the Fendertones.

Yeah, I don't remember that name, but I do remember it being from the Fendertones, and not being too impressed.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 06, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »

I think something else at play,and I'm just guessing, might be that Mike seems to prefer to add relatively younger players to his band. I have plenty of theories for why that is (for another time)

Okay, I'll bite. Why do you think this is?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 06, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »

Yeah, I think he may regret some of his past decisions, but I really don't know what's happening in his career these days.

Ike? Still touring with Mike and Bruce when he isn’t tending to his family.  It should be noted that Ike gave up a full time gig with the Four Freshmen to join Brian at a time when Brian wasn’t doing that much touring.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »

Regarding Matthew Jordan, I looked at his website, which also linked to his Instagram, and there is a video of him singing Don't Worry Baby, and Jeff Foskett is on guitar but not singing. In the post, Matthew says that he'll be filling in for all of September and October with Mike's band.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 08, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »

It's interesting to watch Mike's band balloon in size considering his stated aversion to a larger band during C50. He noted there were too many members on stage competing for parts. This from the guy who now has three keyboardists on stage (and/or three guitarists) in addition to a non-vocalist bassist and a sax player. Plus Stamos when he shows up.

Well, to be fair, Mike's band has only grown from 7 (including 2 principals) to 9. The C50 tour started with 15 guys (down to 14 when Nicky had to drop out), including 5 principals. Plus, I'm sure Mike's backline crew is still smaller than Brian's. And, as stated, Mike's band usually plays with rented gear, so right there you save a ton on transportation costs. All said, I doubt Mike's touring expenses come anywhere near Brian's, even now with the addition of two more band members.

Excellent point
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 08, 2019, 11:26:50 AM »

I don't think C50 was over the top. Think about how many musicians BW actually had in those sessions, to get his famous textured sound!

Get this. When I saw The BBs in August at Ravinia, this was the lineup...

Mike- Vocals, (Tambourine I guess  LOL)
Bruce- Vocals, Keys (I couldn't pick it out most of the night, but there were definite points I could, I was paying attention closely during songs that Totten told me plays on)
Stamos- Vocals, Drums, Guitar (possibly inaudible, I noticed him playing some odd chords)
Christian- Vocals, Guitar
Jeff- Guitar
Scott- Vocals, Guitar, Percussion
Ike- Vocals, Guitar
John- Vocals, Drums
Keith- Bass, some Vocals
Tim- Keys
Randy- Woodwinds, Percussion, etc...

The sound was HUUUGE. And for BBs music, it was perfect. Songs like California Sun, Little Deuce Coupe, Rockaway Beach, Fun Fun Fun, just exploded with a wall of sound. It was quite a thrill. I've been seeing Mike's band since 2014, and by this point it felt like I was watching a rock orchestra, not dissimilar from C50, which I was unable to see in person. Now, that's a lot of people on stage, but it was totally awesome, almost a "who's who" of BBs music, having Jeff return as a special guest was a pleasant surprise. His guitar playing adds a level of authenticity, he's just got those songs under his fingers, he strums with a great technique. Scott is obviously a great guitarist, and he was on fire, his solo on Pisces Brothers rocked. My point is, with BBs music, there's no such thing as too many layers, in a live setting (take what I say with a grain of salt here).  Having four (five if Stamos was audible) guitars chugging away made it really sound like The Beach Boys. That's why Brian would have multiple guitarists in the studio, or double via overdub, etc...

Now, it can be done with fewer musicians, if they know what they're doing. I saw Dean Torrence perform with a band that only consisted of ONE guitarist, Phillip B who you'll remember from Mike's band, but he's such a fantastic, intuitive guitarist, and Farmer's arrangements (based on Berry's and Wilson's obviously) were perfect, to the point where they had their own great 'wall of sound' too.

I guess the criticism comes from the fact that Mike seemed against the idea during and immediately after C50. First of all, C50 was a much more expensive operation that Mike's BBs ever have been or will be. Secondly, C50 was seven years ago now. Perhaps Mike (and/or Scott!) has looked at Brian's band, a "rock orchestra" as I called it, and decided that would better serve his group as well. Adding Randy on Sax made the band infinitely better. At the end of the day though, if the band sounds better , with more musicians on stage, what's the issue?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #715 on: September 09, 2019, 08:20:09 AM »

Ike? Still touring with Mike and Bruce when he isn’t tending to his family.  It should be noted that Ike gave up a full time gig with the Four Freshmen to join Brian at a time when Brian wasn’t doing that much touring.

I don't know any of the machinations behind the scenes of the current Four Freshman touring operation, but Brian's 2014 tour schedule would have been well known to anybody considering joining. 2014 was a very light touring year for Brian (one of many possible reasons I always figured Foskett wasn't too torn up about not being in Brian's band joining Mike's in 2014; there was a lot more steady work at that time with Mike's band).

Other guys in Brian's band moonlight with other side bands and/or have in the past, including "California Surf, Inc." which at various points has has included Probyn and Matt Jardine.

I'm not sure how rigorous the Four Freshman schedule was, but Eichenberger wouldn't have been trading the Four Freshman gig for very many Brian shows. Plus, I don't think Brian has typically kept most of his musicians on retainer, as especially prior to 2015/2016, he wasn't touring all year. Are we sure Eichenberger chose to quit the Four Freshman specifically and solely to be in Brian's band? Or were other factors at play? Was it a case of trying to go a bit more "big time"? Was he more interested in being a rock/pop band than doing Four Freshman style shows?

Brian did 12 gigs in 2014, and not even really 12 full gigs, and Eichenberger didn't even do all of *those* gigs. Brian did that Gibson tradeshow sort of gig in January (in between Foskett and Matt Jardine), then he did two July UK shows with Matt Jardine, did one August show, then one September show with Odhner filling in, and then finished out the year with *seven* scattered shows throughout the rest of the year with Eichenberger (one of which also included Matt Jardine). And only arguably four of five of those seven shows were full-length, regular shows. Two of them were short Bridge School Benefit sets, one was the PBS taping, and one was a benefit gig.

If Eichenberger really left his other gig to do seven shows with Brian Wilson (with no 2015 shows in the offing until June), I'd say he'd have to own that decision. I'm guessing other unknown factors were at play.

Whatever happened, it ended up working out presumably well enough for him, as it it obviously quickly got him noticed enough to be poached from Brian's band for Mike's band. And it seems subsequently that he's been willing to leave the Mike gig as well.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 12, 2019, 12:30:49 AM »

Actually pretty cool to be fair. Imagine your local bar/ restaurant and you get this...

https://youtu.be/E9Pp5hGrAH4

https://youtu.be/jpUWMpfzBLg
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 12, 2019, 12:53:13 AM »

sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 12, 2019, 08:25:20 AM »

Actually pretty cool to be fair. Imagine your local bar/ restaurant and you get this...

That's great! Love it.

Also fun to hear their typical setlist order.... or, dare I say, the "formula"... effed around with a bit. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 12, 2019, 09:18:43 AM »

Bruce sounds fantastic! Really cool to see them in a different environment. Thanks for sharing!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 12, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »

Bruce sounds fantastic! Really cool to see them in a different environment. Thanks for sharing!

That makes me wish they would do more intimate venues. I’ve seen Brian and his band do Pet Sounds and SMiLE in clubs. No reason why Mike and Bruce couldn’t.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 12, 2019, 12:01:54 PM »

Totally makes me wish M&B would do Al's "Storyteller" type shows, with their own spin of course.

These recent clips show it totally could be done- a scaled down version of The Beach Boys band, playing variations of BBs hits and M&B's favorites, with Mike and Bruce MCing in a more casual way than we're used to. Man, these clips were a blast to watch! Everyone was on fire! I wish Bruce would've strapped on a bass or gotten behind the keys to show off his insane instrumental chops, which we only really get to hear on Disney Girls these days.

I know I'm just dreaming now, but imagine a scenario where The BBs reunited for a C60 type event (possibly a farewell for Bri?) and played BEACH BOYS shows as a full unit with as many core members as possible, large "rock orchestra" backing band BW & Mike have been using, big production, etc... Then Mike could satisfy his "smaller market" needs with M&B "America's Band" or whatever type shows, Al could continue to do his storyteller shows, etc.... That would be a great scenario for fans in my opinion. But as we all know, internal politics and family/personal issues, which we will never have a grasp on without personal relationships, likely will prevent such a thing from happening
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 13, 2019, 12:44:06 PM »

There's currently a promotion for $25 tickets for their Louisville show in February if you use the code "SUM2019". That price includes fees and everything.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 20, 2019, 04:22:38 PM »

This isn't on the Beach Boys site yet but they're playing Treasure Island in Minnesota November 15th.
https://www.ticasino.com/live-entertainment/the-beach-boys/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 21, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

Just got a notice that Sammy Hagar's High Tide Beach Party, scheduled for next weekend in Huntington Beach, CA, with an appearance by Mike and Bruce on the 28th, has been cancelled.

The notice reads:

CANCELLATION NOTICE: Due to being denied the necessary permit submitted on 12-26-18 from California State Parks the High Tide Beach Party & Car Show scheduled for September 28 & 29, has been canceled.

Unfortunately, there is no possibility to relocate the event.

All ticket holders will automatically receive a refund through official ticketing outlets Front Gate Tickets and GroupOn.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:28:16 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx