gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:26:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342341 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 25, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »

Totally normal. That's one difference between Brian Wilson's crowds and "The Beach Boys" crowds...and thus has been the case their entire career. I actually wrote a paper about their ambiguity for my American Musical History class freshman year of college. They did this to themselves and created a "brand" for the media's eye instead of a "band". It's one reason why The Beatles had no trouble surpassing them (and many others) in popularity stateside.

When I end up discussing the Beach Boys in any sort of social setting, I'll always try to instigate just how much band member knowledge they have. Most people know Brian Wilson as the crazy genius behind it all. A few people know Mike Love, and always have a negative connotation of him. They are often aware of "Wilson Brothers" and that one drowned. Alan, Bruce, and David are seldom ever mentioned.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: August 26, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »

I didn't know they had been running background video of Carl and Jeff singing "Don't Worry Baby" from that 1987 Belgium concert. How odd.

I agree that it most likely was put in the show to play off of Jeff singing the song now in the band. Still tacky (both to continue to use video of a still-living member who Mike left in 2012, and also to use background concert video literally only as a visual without even using the Carl lead vocal), but makes some sense.

With Jeff not currently touring, the whole thing is just extra odd. I mean, assuming Mike can't pay someone to re-edit the background video if he's so intent on using it, they could, you know, just drop the video and do regular concert lighting for that song or something. The whole thing seems rather lazy. I feel like some of what they've run in terms of background video on stage at Mike's shows is like literally just pulled from YouTube. I recall seeing one video a few years ago that still had a timecode on it.

I'm curious how many other old bands are out there touring who play 30-40 year old video in the background featuring still-living members that the members on stage ditched. I'm sure it's possible there are some of those old Motown acts with like one original members who might run some old footage of the old band.

It's strange how much things have morphed in the BB world. Back in the late 90s and early-mid 2000s, Mike would barely ever even say Al's name, and I can't imagine he would have ever run video or even pictures of Al on stage. Now everything seems so entrenched and settled and, I dunno, maybe everybody is so burnt out on lawsuits that Mike just continually runs photos and videos of all the members that *aren't* on stage, and nobody seems to care. Kind of sad frankly. I'm not saying I want to see litigation again (apparently after a bit of kerfuffle back in 2012/2013; the camps seem to have hashed something out as far as Mike using Brian and Al's images on stage), but it's just sad that Brian and Al (and Carl and Dennis) are now like stage decorations on Mike's tour.

I thought the Carl and Dennis bits during C50 were the best thing they could have done to pay tribute to those guys. But it has now morphed into just using old imagery to capitalize on deceased and *still-living* members (who were ditched) without having to actually involve them (e.g. pay them) to be on stage.

I'm curious, how much background video of Lindsey Buckingham is Fleetwood Mac currently using on stage?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:43:56 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 26, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »

I didn't know they had been running background video of Carl and Jeff singing "Don't Worry Baby" from that 1987 Belgium concert. How odd.

I agree that it most likely was put in the show to play off of Jeff singing the song now in the band. Still tacky (both to continue to use video of a still-living member who Mike left in 2012, and also to use background concert video literally only as a visual without even using the Carl lead vocal), but makes some sense.

With Jeff not currently touring, the whole thing is just extra odd. I mean, assuming Mike can't pay someone to re-edit the background video if he's so intent on using it, they could, you know, just drop the video and do regular concert lighting for that song or something. The whole thing seems rather lazy. I feel like some of what they've run in terms of background video on stage at Mike's shows is like literally just pulled from YouTube. I recall seeing one video a few years ago that still had a timecode on it.

I'm curious how many other old bands are out there touring who play 30-40 year old video in the background featuring still-living members that the members on stage ditched. I'm sure it's possible there are some of those old Motown acts with like one original members who might run some old footage of the old band.

It's strange how much things have morphed in the BB world. Back in the late 90s and early-mid 2000s, Mike would barely ever even say Al's name, and I can't imagine he would have ever run video or even pictures of Al on stage. Now everything seems so entrenched and settled and, I dunno, maybe everybody is so burnt out on lawsuits that Mike just continually runs photos and videos of all the members that *aren't* on stage, and nobody seems to care. Kind of sad frankly. I'm not saying I want to see litigation again (apparently after a bit of kerfuffle back in 2012/2013; the camps seem to have hashed something out as far as Mike using Brian and Al's images on stage), but it's just sad that Brian and Al (and Carl and Dennis) are now like stage decorations on Mike's tour.

I thought the Carl and Dennis bits during C50 were the best thing they could have done to pay tribute to those guys. But it has now morphed into just using old imagery to capitalize on deceased and *still-living* members (who were ditched) without having to actually involve them (e.g. pay them) to be on stage.

I'm curious, how much background video of Lindsey Buckingham is Fleetwood Mac currently using on stage?

It's indeed very tacky and quite baffling.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:30:04 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 26, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »

There is also a video montage that runs during Fun, Fun, Fun that features the members of the band, including Jeff Foskett. It seemed a little odd and lazy to include that, as well.

I think they use the video screens well for parts of the show and others it just doesn't add anything. I fully agree, some of it is ripped directly from YouTube and I'm sure the source on a lot of it is ripped from a VHS recorded from television in the 80s or 90s. Makes me think they don't have access to the archives...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: August 26, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »

It's just super extra ironic if Mike's tour is sourcing stuff from YouTube, because BRI absolutely has someone going out on YouTube, eBay, and other places online and having things pulled all the time (not to mention separately the record labels having stuff pulled from YouTube, etc.).

And while more recent stuff I can find on YouTube seems to be missing it, here's a 2015 live performance of "Do You Wanna Dance" with the Dennis backing film where the video footage clearly has a timecode on it (which many version of it on YouTube have):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9z7PoN2S8
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:33:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 26, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »

Ironic considering the who-ha with the use of Mikes image on the UK Sunday paper album giveaway some years back.

Considering the powers that be do read these boards, what are the chances the Jeff/Carl video is gone by the next show?  Just tell the guy not to press ‘play’ on that one.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 26, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »

It's just super extra ironic if Mike's tour is sourcing stuff from YouTube, because BRI absolutely has someone going out on YouTube, eBay, and other places online and having things pulled all the time (not to mention separately the record labels having stuff pulled from YouTube, etc.).

And while more recent stuff I can find on YouTube seems to be missing it, here's a 2015 live performance of "Do You Wanna Dance" with the Dennis backing film where the video footage clearly has a timecode on it (which many version of it on YouTube have):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9z7PoN2S8

Student Demonstration Timecode 
Isn't it Timecode
Hot Fun in the Summertimecode
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »

The MO for years has been Mike seemingly doing whatever he wants and pushing the boundaries of what he can do under the terms with BRI, and like a war of attrition I think it's assumed other parties get fed up with the time and money to fight it, so Mike does what Mike wants to do anyway. Numerous examples are available.

As far as using that damn video screen, the irony again is how Mike didn't want to do more of a C50 setup, yet poached the video screen idea for his own tours and left the other surviving members behind. Now they're on stage with Mike in cheap quality video form instead.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 26, 2019, 07:17:19 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong as I only saw M&B once prior to C50: The Beach Boys (or the band that tours as them) never toured with a video screen prior to C50, yes? I don't mean, cameras projected THEM onto a screen, I mean a presentation was prepared the aligned with the music for the evening.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: August 27, 2019, 06:48:07 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong as I only saw M&B once prior to C50: The Beach Boys (or the band that tours as them) never toured with a video screen prior to C50, yes? I don't mean, cameras projected THEM onto a screen, I mean a presentation was prepared the aligned with the music for the evening.

I recall that when Mike went back out after C50, reports indeed were that he had poached the video screen idea from the C50 presentation, down to, in some cases, the literal same presentation/preparation (e.g. syncing to Carl's Knebworth lead on "God Only Knows").

Early on (in early-mid 2013 as I recall, but I can't be sure of the exact time frame), fans and spectators noticed that various video footage behind Mike's band included footage/pictures of Brian and Al. Supposedly, Brian and Al (or their "people") asked that their likenesses *not* be used on Mike's tour. Whether one actually has to pay for that type of likeness rights, I'm honestly not sure. If it were a film or TV show (or home video release, etc.), likeness rights would have to be cleared. But I'm not sure when it comes to that sort of live video presentation. In any event, Brian and Al's faces were removed from the video presentation. At some *later* point (I honestly can't remember when, but it was within a year or two, if not sooner), vintage Brian and Al footage/pictures reappeared on Mike's tour. I would assume/hope this was due to Brian and Al softening on the issue and allowing it, as opposed to Mike just doing it.

I think Mike using old pics and film of all the old members strikes many long-time fans as odd. I mean, I think some fans find it weird and arguably distasteful. But separate from that, it's also surprising for long-time fans that remember the early years after Carl and Al were gone from the touring band in 1998. In the case of Al in particular, Mike seemed to almost never even mention Al's *name*. I think there was, and I'm just guessing, an extra wariness about Al being associated with the band in the 1998-early 2000s time frame, due to Al *not* being on Mike's tour anymore, and also the ongoing BRI lawsuits over Al using the "BBFF" name to tour. I recall back in 2001 one insider claiming that there was consternation even when Al did something like go on an internet radio show to promote the "Hawthorne, CA" set. Certainly, I don't think back then that Mike would have *ever* put Al's face on a video screen behind his stage presentation. Again, it was surprising in that era to even see Mike say Al's name in an interview.

One has to remember that one of the many issues in the background of the various touring "camps", even after all of the naming lawsuits with BRI and Al and all of that were resolved, revolves around billing of their respective shows. A few years ago Al gave an interview where he indicated there was continued "reminders" to the Brian/Al tour to not too prominently use "Beach Boys" in their billing. I think Al, from what I've heard, has often been harangued over the years even when doing "Beach Band" shows at street fairs and other low-key events, over how he bills himself as a "Beach Boy." I think this sort of arguably borderline harassment on the issue (let's remember Brian and Al are allowed to say they are Beach Boys as a descriptor) is part of what may have taken Brian and Al aback when their faces were being used on Mike's tour.

But I again maintain, and I'm just guessing, that they are all content *enough* with no lawsuits flying, so the sort of status quo/possession is 9/10 of the law sort of mentality rules the day for better or worse.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: September 02, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »

I was at the show tonight, and there is a very brief shot of Carl's guitar from that one show in...was it Belgium? Anyway, that's all it was. I don't recall seeing Jeff's face in the video footage at all. The video footage was pretty much continuous throughout the show - I guess this is the new thing for aging rock bands; I saw America last fall, and they did the same thing. There were a lot of shots of Mike, Bruce, Carl, Dennis; there were even a few pics of Brian. I don't recall any close ups of Al, but he was in a lot of the group shots that were used. Brian and Al were not mentioned at all during the show, but Mike did talk about Carl having been the lead singer on God Only Knows until his death 21 years ago; then he mentioned that George Harrison died from the same thing - cancer - as a lead in to Pisces Brothers. Dennis was mentioned briefly by Bruce when they did Do You Wanna Dance.
Some people are always looking for something sinister, something to be offended by. I didn't see that. I saw a great band onstage playing the catalog of America's greatest rock and roll band. We are lucky that Mike is still in good health, still out there playing these songs with a great band. No, it's not the original band, it can never be the original band without Carl and Dennis.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 03, 2019, 12:37:26 AM »

yea so one of the reasons I havent seen Al jardine beach band show on tour is cause Mike wont have it?   Al IS a beach boys so he will always be Al Jardine of the Beach Boys
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 03, 2019, 12:37:52 AM »

i saw pics of Al tonight for sure but i didnt notice any Brian, but the other guy said he did, i dont focus on the screens to much,  but i thought the video production was well done, better than previous tours- also the intro music is very exciting and good, similar to what the stones are doing this tour- i liked it
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:40:08 AM by chewy » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 03, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »

I saw the Beach Boys a little over a month ago and they definitely used footage of Carl and Jeff from this concert during "Don't Worry Baby": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrn-K805ww
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 03, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »

I saw the Beach Boys a little over a month ago and they definitely used footage of Carl and Jeff from this concert during "Don't Worry Baby": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyrn-K805ww
Well, I probably wasn't 100% focused on the video screens - I mean, i'm there to see a live band. Would be funny if I just watched the videos all night. But I think you are wasting your time trying to find something sinister. Seriously, there are more important things in the world to worry about.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: September 03, 2019, 11:41:12 AM »

Nobody is finding something "sinister" about this stuff. Clearly, a few fans have noted the odd nature of running, relatively in sync apparently, a 1987 concert video of Carl Wilson and Jeff Foskett singing "Don't Worry Baby" while someone else (Bonfiglio or Eichenberger or whomever) sings it live.

Yes, some people find various elements of Mike's stage presentation (e.g. the video, the speeches) as tacky or distasteful, or whatever. But Mike's putting all that stuff out there; there's no need to go searching for it. Nobody is noting stuff that isn't there.

There's always going to be the "I got a beer and a seat and I recognize that song and it's all good!" sort of fan. Indeed, it's what Mike's tours are built on. I have no doubt anybody outside of some knowledgeable, hardcore fans are noticing or caring much about what's on the video screen at Mike's shows. Maybe a few casual fans are a bit confused by it, at worst.

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 03, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:39:14 PM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 03, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »

Well, I probably wasn't 100% focused on the video screens - I mean, i'm there to see a live band. Would be funny if I just watched the videos all night. But I think you are wasting your time trying to find something sinister. Seriously, there are more important things in the world to worry about.

I've been to multiple Brian Wilson and Mike & Bruce shows over the past few years, so I am truly Switzerland when it comes to all things Beach Boys in 2019. The first time I saw the video linked above paired with Don't Worry Baby and Jeff taking the lead a couple years ago, it had the intended effect on me--wow, Jeff has been with the group for some time now.

It seemed odd to me that they were still using that video with Jeff not in attendance--IMO, easy enough to not play it. I only shared the link in the hopes that it would spark a memory from the concert you attended. It's entirely possible that it was removed recently, but that might point to them reading (and reacting) to things posted on message boards.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 03, 2019, 02:06:10 PM »

Considering the powers that be do read these boards, what are the chances the Jeff/Carl video is gone by the next show?  Just tell the guy not to press ‘play’ on that one.

And what do you know....

https://youtu.be/O_1YaR4ZbBM

Edit: Looking again at the clip I could be mistaken. I still see a guitar behind the group.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 02:09:50 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 03, 2019, 04:08:21 PM »

Considering the powers that be do read these boards, what are the chances the Jeff/Carl video is gone by the next show?  Just tell the guy not to press ‘play’ on that one.

And what do you know....

https://youtu.be/O_1YaR4ZbBM

Edit: Looking again at the clip I could be mistaken. I still see a guitar behind the group.

It's the same video. It blends into the Foskett footage. The vocals were really thin and unsteady on that...damn.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 03, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »

Who is the new falsetto singer/third keyboardist in Mike's band?  ... Or Ike/Rob/Jeff's fill in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3EYd7qWuiA
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:47:11 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 03, 2019, 06:42:38 PM »

Who is the new falsetto singer/third keyboardist in Mike's band?  ... Or Ike/Rob/Jeff's fill in?

I don't know, but it's pretty amazing they're down to fourth on the falsetto depth chart this summer.

Just from the 5-second clips of each song, he doesn't sound very Beach Boys-y.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 03, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »

I don't know, but it's pretty amazing they're down to fourth on the falsetto depth chart this summer.

Damn rough vocals in that clip, too. Do they really need a second pretend keyboardist?
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 03, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »

Damn rough vocals in that clip, too. Do they really need a second pretend keyboardist?

Boy i second that, whoever he is he must have been apprenticing at the Bruce Johnston school of clapping, fake keyboard playing and microphone adjusting. All that aside he doesn’t sound that great.....

https://youtu.be/4h-BfCPmOmE
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 03, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »

It is funny how similar his mannerisms are to Bruce. It made me chuckle, like watching a mini-me, not in looks, but in movements. I think he's getting too harsh of a wrap, he looks young, he's probably nervous. He sounds okay to me. He's no Ike or Matt Jardine, but he does the job in my mind. Sometimes I really feel like, to everyone on here, Mike can do no nothing right.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx