gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:55:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342380 times)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 04, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »

I was at the concert in Het Nieuwe Luxortheater in Rotterdam yesterday (July 3rd). A good and solid show. See setlist below. I thought both Mike and Bruce's voice held up quite well. And Brian Eichenbacher and Christian Love leads were good imo. The number of leadvocs by John and Scott seem to decrease... Nice to hear Mike speak fondly on his memories of their stay in The Netherlands while recording the Holland album. The Dec. 1970 night concert in Amsterdam (which was delayed almost 5 hours due to fog) was mentioned as well. They do remember those bits of history.

The band (and families) are enjoying a free day today (very appropriate on July 4th). Tomorrow another show, near Rotterdam on the Tweede Maasvlakte. The exact location is unknown, but it's most probably on the beach. When travelling by car one apparently simply has to follow the signs when arriving in the area. From the parking lot busses will transport us to the venue. It's a concert with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. A relatively short set - 2 hours (starting at nine o'clock) including an intermission. Probably no rarities to be expected. But special nonetheless. This concert was organised by cruise company Spido to celebrate their 100th anniversary.
https://www.spido.nl/en/tochten-cruises/consert-the-beach-boys-en-het-rotterdams-philharmonisch-orkest (no English page available with general info or for buying tickets)
https://www.rotterdamsphilharmonisch.nl/en/agenda/176/The_Beach_Boys_en_het_Rotterdams_Philharmonisch_Orkest/100_jaar_Spido_The_Beach_Boys/

Setlist Rotterdam, July 3rd 2019:

First set:
1. Do It Again
2. Surfin' Safari
3. California Sun
4. It's O.K.
5. Surfin' U.S.A.
6. Surfer Girl (band)
7. Then I Kissed Her (Eichenbacher)
8. Dance, Dance, Dance
9. Do You Wanna Dance? (BJ)
10. Good To My Baby (Eichenbacher + ML)
11. In My Room (band)
12. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
13. Darlin'  (Eichenbacher)
14. Cottonfields (Cowsill)
15. Warmth Of The Sun (Totten)
16. Getcha Back
17. Don't Worry Baby (Eichenbacher)
18. Little Deuce Coupe
19. 409
20. Shut Down
21. I Get Around

Second set
22. California Dreamin'  (Cowsill)
23. California Girls
24. Sloop John B. (Totten + ML)
25. Wouldn't It Be Nice (Eichenbacher)
26. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring (ML + BJ + Totten + Eichenbacher)
a few lines of I Write The Songs are played/sung during the introduction of grammy winner Bruce
27. Disney Girls (1957) (BJ)
28. Sail On Sailor (Christian Love)
29. All This Is That (Christian Love)
30. God Only Knows (Christian Love)
31. Pisces Brothers
32. Here Comes The Sun
33. Kokomo
34. All Summer Long
35. Help Me, Rhonda (Christian Love)
36. Barbara Ann (band)
37. Rock & Roll Music
38. Summertime Blues
39. Good Vibrations (Christian Love)

Encore:
40. Rockaway Beach
41. Fun, Fun, Fun

Thanks for posting!!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 05, 2019, 06:52:00 AM »

Some thoughts based on the summer tour so far...

The group is totally on fire. They sound totally refreshed and revitalized. Mike and Bruce sound much stronger than they had recently. Notice Mike is moving around the stage much more like he used to as well, not the shuffle we've become accustomed to. I like Foskett, but man, does Ike sound incredible with the group right now. His lead on Don't Worry Baby blows my mind. The setlists right now are pretty fantastic. I don't mind the 12 Sides of Summer cuts, cause I'm a pretty big fan of Rockaway Beach and Its Ok 2018. I've never minded Summertime Blues in a BBs set. It usually gets a great reaction, not to mention they recorded it for Surfin Safari. I've actually never been quite satisfied with any of The BBs related versions of Summertime Blues,  they never had the right punch and energy. I hope this new version changes that, cause it sounds great live. It feels like a great time to see The Beach Boys right now. When Brian recovers, I hope he too benefits from a little break. Mike's current bassist, Keith Hubacher, is totally underrated in these circles. I think he's viewed as disposable since he doesn't sing really, but next time you watch a M&B show (in person or online) listen to Keith's bass playing, He brings a great energy and drive, totally matches Cowsill's drumming style. Together they make songs like Rockaway Beach and Barbara Ann, for example, sound explosive. I can't wait to see the group in August, with Ringo Starr's band. I wonder if Mike will play Pisces Brothers (and/or Here Comes The Sun) with Ringo in attendance. Perhaps Back In The USSR will be brought back if there's any overlap with the groups.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 05, 2019, 09:06:37 AM »

Are there any videos of Brian E singing “Don’t Worry Baby” from recent shows?
maskedwindsurfer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 05, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »

the whole Paris show :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=552Ms_L-QF0
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 05, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »

I will preface this by saying I didn't watch the whole video. I watched approximately minute long clips every five minutes or so and this is what I landed on...

Mike is super out of tune on "Do it Again".
The rest of the surfin songs at the opening are tight af. Nice..diggin' the new "It's OK"

For all the crap I give him, Bruce sounds damn good on "Please Let Me Wonder", this does not contrast well with Mike's short-paced and wobbly lead on "Kiss Me Baby".
...I still do not dig the new "Getcha Back". Totten shouting "MICHAEL" while waiting to start "Darlin'" was priceless...I prefer Cowsill's lead on it though.
On the otherhand, "Do You Wanna Dance" does not sit in a strong spot for Bruce's voice. Yikes.

Beautiful lead from Totten on "Warmth of The Sun". Mike barked the car songs out with the swagger that only he can.
Another beautiful lead, this time from Ike on "You Still Believe in Me". Breathtaking. Weak leads from M&B on "Sloop John B". Hand it off to the young guns.
Yet another surprisingly strong lead from Bruce on "Disney Girls".

I couldn't stomach Pisces Brothers or Here Comes The Sun. Garbage. "Kokomo" sounds tired.
However, nice job burning through the rockers at the ending, including the covers. Well done.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 06, 2019, 02:22:13 AM »

I had a blast yesterday. The combination with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra worked out great. Will tell more later on. But here the setlist.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 06, 2019, 05:52:39 AM »

Futureland, Tweede Maasvlakte, Rotterdam, July 5th 2019

This concert was a special one. The owner of the water tour company Spido wanted to celebrate their 100 year jubilee with a special concert. He had seen the Beach Boys perform in Rotterdam (Nieuwe Luxor Theater) in 2017 and had decided to get this group back in the Netherlands in 2019 for a special concert with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. And so it happened apparently. The location was a special one as well: in the heart of the industrial port area Tweede Maasvlakte. A "new" part of the Netherlands, built where used to be the North Sea. Between the transhipment companies, cranes, and containers a large stage was built where the band could perform. Attendants could go to the venue by boat from the center of Rotterdam (a 2 and a half hour trip with diner, and the same trip back with beverages and food, accompanied by a Joe Cocker tribute band). Or one could go by car, drive to a central parking spot and be transported by a shuttle bus. The latter being a lot cheaper of course. The venue was a closed area , enclosed by containers. Except for the typical sea-smell, the beach atmosphere was nowhere to been seen (except for a few fake palmtrees that were placed along the path from the harbour to the stage). But the location was special nonetheless, seeing the cranes in the distance being operated during the concert and large boats passing by. Mike even made a joke about it when they entered the stage ("you know... we're just doing it for the oil and gas..."). Within the concerts area there were several stalls with beverages and cold/hot snacks. As there were only limited seats available for the disabled and special guests, the atmosphere was that of a festival.

I had already heard from Scott that because of the venue's location, the scheduled starting time (21PM), and the fact that an intermission was planned, a shorter set would be played. The concert would end at 23PM with a firework show, which couldn't be shifted. The concert started 15 minutes too late though, due to the last boat with special guests (including the mayor) arriving too late at the venue. Because of that the intermission was shortened; the band only took a short break during the RPO’s rendition of In My Room.
It was very interesting to see how the orchestra and band collaborated. Mind you that they only had time to talk and practice together during the afternoon prior to the show. And where normally a conductor leads the orchestra and band, in this case she had to follow the band, concentrating on both what the band did and lead the orchestra through it. And she - with the orchestra - did a heck of a job, giving many songs extra punch, or familiar studio sounds (like for example the cello in Good Vibrations). And the Beach Boys clearly appreciated that, letting us know that several times during the concert.

As you can see, compared to the set of two days earlier, they didn't just shortened it, a few other songs were thrown in as well (Catch A Wave, Kiss Me Baby, All The Love In Paris), and was reshuffled quite a bit.  Also noticeable was that Scott didn’t do any leads due to a sour throat. The Boys were in good form again, clearly enjoying the collaboration with an orchestra and the location.

As said the show ended with fireworks, and it closed with the announcement that - because of the 100 year jubilee - Spido was awarded the title "Royal company" by the King of the Netherlands.

Setlist Rotterdam, July 5th 2019:
1. Overture (performed by the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra)
2. Do It Again
2. Surfin' Safari
3. Catch A Wave (ML + Eichenbacher)
5. Surfin' U.S.A.
6. Surfer Girl (band)
7. Getcha Back
8. Darlin' (Eichenbacher)
9. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
10. Kiss Me Baby
11. All The Love In Paris
12. Warmth Of The Sun (Eichenbacher)
13. Don't Worry Baby (Eichenbacher)
14. Little Deuce Coupe
15. I Get Around

16. Intermission / In My Room (performed by the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra)

17. California Dreamin' (Cowsill)
18. Then I Kissed Her (Eichenbacher)
19. California Girls
20. Sloop John B. (BJ/Totten + ML)
21. Wouldn't It Be Nice (Eichenbacher)
the first 2 notes of I Write The Songs are played/sung during the introduction of grammy winner Bruce
22. Disney Girls (1957) (BJ)
23. God Only Knows (Christian Love)
24. Pisces Brothers
25. Cottonfields (Cowsill)
26. Help Me, Rhonda (Christian Love)
27. Barbara Ann (band)
28. Good Vibrations (Christian Love)
29. Kokomo
30. Fun, Fun, Fun

During the fireworks the Mike Love solo track Make Love Not War was played

Locations Rotterdam concerts Nieuwe Luxor Theater (right) and Futureland, Tweede Maasvlakte (left)

Read more: http://endlessharmony.boards.net/thread/580/beach-boys-2019-tour-rotterdam?page=1#ixzz5suO8ZdxV

The stage was located at where the bus is standing
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:47:51 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 06, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »

Pictures from the Luxor Rotterdam July 3rd concert

Do You Wanna Dance?

During the car medley

Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring

God Only Knows

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 06, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »

Pictures and videosnippets from the Futureland, Tweede Maasvlakte Rotterdam July 5th concert

Arriving at the stage

At the dock, waiting for the ships to arrive

The promenade from the dock to the stage

The stage; the screen shows pictures of the Spido company from the early days

The first ship arrives; this one is well on time

Mike checking the stage – I think there two at most that recognized him (I was one of them); everybody kept chatting and drinking…

VIDEO-snippet: The orchestra starts with an overture
https://youtu.be/HcpIdoJDRj8

The band joins, starting with Do It Again

VIDEO-snippet: Surfer Girl
https://youtu.be/VNV20MniXR8

VIDEO-snippet: Kiss Me Baby
https://youtu.be/DQ9Fb6XbqK4

During the shortened car-medley

Fun, Fun, Fun with Fireworks

VIDEO-snippet: Fun, Fun, Fun with Fireworks
https://youtu.be/zUt0iFjcnVI

…and goodbye !

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:51:36 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: July 07, 2019, 01:08:42 PM »

Brighton yesterday was changed  - seemingly on the night? - to have no intermission - but they still played 2 hours and 20 minutes anyway - so shorter than Royal Albert Hall, but complaining about a couple of near-80 year olds only being on stage for 160 minutes straight is a bit unfair... In fact they only did four more songs at RAH where they got a 25 minute intermission, so not much different really.

Setlist was a bit more hit-based than the RAH show - out with some of the Pet Sounds numbers (Caroline, No, Here Today, I'm Waiting For The Day, You Still Believe In Me), Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, 'Til I Die, Little Honda and Please Let Me Wonder

But they added in You're So Good To Me (Bruce lead), In My Room, 409, Shut Down and Wild Honey (love how heavy Cowsill makes this)

Mike seemed to be enjoying himself and was very talkative. Bruce did another great Disney Girls and also seemed in good spirits
Continue to be amazed by Ike - his Don't Worry Baby and Warmth Of The Sun were so good
Mike mentioned how they filmed the Don't Go Near The Water video in Brighton. Bruce then said it was either a terrific song or a terrible song... couldn't hear it clearer enough to determine which but either is likely!
I enjoy the new Summertime Blues version, and both that and Rockaway Beach go over well live.
Bruce played a single line of I Write The Songs before Disney Girls (with Mike threatening to make him do the whole thing one day)
I noticed Christian sang "blossom world we find" this time on GV.

Two complaints, neither band related - 1) there are always some people sitting near me in the crowds at these shows who seem to object to the whole "people standing up, dancing, clapping, having fun" during the fast songs. Despite Bruce literally doing his "all stand up" gesture at the start of those songs. I'm fine if you don't want to join in but why act all disgusted at everyone who doesn't want to just sit still and silently appreciate Help Me Rhonda.
2) Brighton Centre confiscated my water bottle on entry, but would happily sell me a bottle of water at the bar...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:12:23 PM by BeachBoysCovers » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 07, 2019, 02:44:29 PM »

Great! Glad it was a good night.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 14, 2019, 02:48:12 PM »

Futureland, Tweede Maasvlakte, Rotterdam, July 5th 2019

This concert was a special one.

Klaas, thanks a bunch for the description of both shows and for the pictures. I never made it to either (so shoot me!).

I see the conductor on the 5th was Corinna Niemeyer. My wife and I are both major fans of the RPhO, which has enjoyed some extraordinary conductors during its existence (our absolute favourite being Valery Gergiev). I'll check out the videos tomorrow--really looking forward to that!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: July 19, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »

This was posted on Facebook by John Fogerty (I hope the picture gets shown):

Look who we ran into in Dresden, Germany! 🇩🇪 Mike Love overheard us talking about how great The Beach Boys are, not knowing he was sitting one table over. He busted us. Now that’s something special. Peace and “Love” in Europe. Having a groovy time on this 50 year trip! #thebeachboys #mikelove — with The Beach Boys and Mike Love in Dresden, Germany.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 19, 2019, 08:13:20 AM »

Is this man ever NOT promoting himself via his own apparel?
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 19, 2019, 12:15:08 PM »

That's a really cool post from John Fogerty. 
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 19, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »

Is this man ever NOT promoting himself via his own apparel?

LOL LOL Next, he'll be on stage with a sandwich board hawking his new album.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 19, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »

That's a really cool post from John Fogerty. 

Indeed!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 22, 2019, 06:38:01 AM »

That's awesome. I'll be seeing John Fogerty at Radio City Music Hall in August, my first time ever... can't wait.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »

I saw John Fogerty in 2015 and it was even better than expected. Superb live experience. Kinda ironic that he's sharing a photo with the Lovester as I believe he has shared the bill with Creedence Clearwater Revisited and thrown work their way on many an occasion...
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 30, 2019, 01:35:15 AM »

Some Albert Hall photos

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 30, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »

I could be wrong and it could just be a minor thing, but I don't believe I've ever seen Mike and Bruce sell signed merchandise at their shows before (the poster). Interesting!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 30, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »

I could be wrong and it could just be a minor thing, but I don't believe I've ever seen Mike and Bruce sell signed merchandise at their shows before (the poster). Interesting!
Agree. Kind of surprise Mike hasn't done signed books or signed CDs or LPs of his new release(s).
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 01, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »

100 quid for that poster and a hat. I didn't see many takers... :D

Extra £25 for a plastic poncho!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:29:33 AM by UEF » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 03, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »

Anybody seeing M&B opening for Ringo & The All Starrs tonight?
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 03, 2019, 07:05:47 PM »

A friend of mine is there and sent me a video of Brian E singing Don’t Worry Baby. Jeff is there as well playing guitar but doesn’t seem to be singing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx