gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:57:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342190 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: June 27, 2019, 06:21:16 AM »

I don't know why I just assumed Mike's album would have a pretty standard remake of "Here Comes the Sun" if he was inclined to do it. I'm all for trying to do something different, but that is a truly tedious, soporific take on the song. Trying to give the "Daybreak Over the Ocean/Sumahama" arrangement to "Here Comes the Sun" just doesn't work. Altering the chord changes especially doesn't work on this one.

There was apparently a review of a recent UK show Mike did where the reviewer essentially said the show was too long. Obviously, this generally sounds crazy to fans. Who wouldn't want to hear a longer show?

So while I applaud the general idea of doing a bunch of deep cuts as Mike is doing (that he's doing them with mostly surrogate singers doing credible but generic, bland lead vocals is a separate issue), I would say objectively his recent setlists have some pretty surprising pacing problems. He actually does "Pisces Brothers" and this new languid arrangement of "Here Comes the Sun" *back to back*. That's pretty taxing on any audience; I can understand a reviewer scratching their head at nearly 10 minutes straight of tedium.

Also surprised Mike has thrown in an unremarkable "California Sun" into the opening run of songs at his shows. Does any "Beach Boys" show, even Mike's licensed version, really need *both* "California Sun" and "Summertime Blues" (and "Rockaway Beach") in the setlist?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 27, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »

For a guy who calls himself Mr. Positivity, Mike sure as hell sucked all of the joy out of one of the most joyous songs the Beatles ever did.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #552 on: June 27, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »

A really turgid version of "Here Comes the Sun" maybe arguably has a place on some sort of studio release. But to do "Pisces Brothers" and this new sloooow remake of HCTS back-to-back in concert is just bizarre.

Even many Mike apologists and fans have found "Pisces Brothers" tedious, yet it has been in his setlist *for years*, pre-dating the "Unleash" album.

What's odd about this is that the band, including Mike (but not *just* Mike) seemed to be very trigger-shy back in the 80s and especially 90s when it came to doing obscure and/or slow and/or new stuff in concert. They'd usually push through and do some new album stuff for a little bit, but it would usually be dropped within months, sometimes weeks. They seemed to sometimes *over-analyze* the restlessness of audiences and felt compelled to *not* slow the show down too much. Even when they added over a dozen songs to the setlist to promote the GV boxed set in late '93, that "boxed set tour" lasted for a few weeks at the most, right?

Yet, Mike has pushed through with stuff like "Pisces Brothers" for *years* now.

Imagine if the band had kept "Problem Child" in the setlist for the entire decade of the 90s. Imagine if they were still doing the disco remake of "Here Comes the Night" in 1987.

Remember back in 1999/2000 when Al Jardine's setlists were being picked apart in those BRI lawsuits? Al was doing stuff like "You Still Believe In Me" and they were acting like Al had added a mini-set of Frank Zappa tunes or something. Yet now, with full autonomy, Mike regularly packs his "Beach Boys" shows with a myriad of solo tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 27, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »

Doesn't Bruce have any solos left in the set?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 27, 2019, 02:09:15 PM »

There was a political moment where Mike implied an American politician (AOC?) wanted to ban air travel which then led on to a Brexit comment that I didn’t quite understand but Bruce certainly enjoyed it  LOL

Ugh. So politics are once again rearing their ugly head into Beach Boys land. Perhaps Mike and Bruce will revamp "Bush vibrations" to "Trump vibrations" for next year's election? Just freaking wonderful.

Thud
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »

So I was sat sideways on from the state for this and could reasonably see what each person was playing.

I’m convinced Bruce’s keyboard either isn’t plugged in or isn’t in the mix at all. When his fingers were on the keys nothing changes. Is he miming? Playing for his own monitors?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 27, 2019, 09:42:39 PM »

So I was sat sideways on from the state for this and could reasonably see what each person was playing.

I’m convinced Bruce’s keyboard either isn’t plugged in or isn’t in the mix at all. When his fingers were on the keys nothing changes. Is he miming? Playing for his own monitors?

Those in the know say he's really playing and that's only in his ear monitor for the most part to help with vocals and whatnot. And apparently if they play "Disney Girls" you can hear it in all its 1980s DX7 glory.

Now don't take any of that as gospel, I may have it slightly (or fully) wrong.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 28, 2019, 05:20:08 AM »

I think that’s pretty much it
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »

Cheesy Is it joke? Hilarious.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 29, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »

Just got back from France, hottest day of the year. Beach Boys playing at Olympia was a real highlight of the vacation!

Not many Smileysmile board members in the crowds, I met a russian fan who had flown from Moscow and a woman from Tokyo both in Paris only for this show.

The setlist was resembling to RAH two days earlier. 46 songs with a very few dull moments.
The audience was on fire, indoors and with a capacity of 1800 it was very intimate. People sat down for most part of the first hour (before intermission). Standing ovations and applause to Bruce & Mike that felt like they never end after California Girls.

Mikes voice was in excellent condition and so was Bruce. First time in a long while that I've heard Bruce really singing with his full range, capacity and strength! He sang Please Let me Wonder with the original phrasing. Later he was dancing behind his keyboard, made his famous jump and clearly enjoying the show. It was his birthday and he got cake on stage and everybody sang happy birthday.

Also, first time I heard Ike and I must say: I like Ike! He's version of Good To My Baby was A++
Christian sounded nice on Sailor and GOK. I don't really like him on GV or Rhonda though

Minus: I would trade Pisces and All the love in Paris for songs from the BB-catalog.
Highlight: Mike and Bruce taking turns on Here Today!

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 29, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »

Unfortunately I don't think it is. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 02, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »

Stamos is hosting A Capitol Fourth on PBS this year, I’m surprised Mike and his guys aren’t on the bill as they’ve done it many times in the past, especially with Stamos involved.  Are they playing a show that night or maybe they’re making a surprise appearance. http://www.pbs.org/a-capitol-fourth/concert/performers/

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 02, 2019, 07:16:53 PM »

Stamos is hosting A Capitol Fourth on PBS this year, I’m surprised Mike and his guys aren’t on the bill as they’ve done it many times in the past, especially with Stamos involved.  Are they playing a show that night or maybe they’re making a surprise appearance. http://www.pbs.org/a-capitol-fourth/concert/performers/

According to Mike’s website, they will be in Holland. They have shows in Rotterdam on Wednesday and Friday.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 02, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »

This is by no means an attempt to discuss OUR political opinions...does anyone know if Stamos is a Trump supporter? I always assumed that he was involved before BECAUSE of The Beach Boys. I find it interesting that he is opting to host this without their presence as typically the acts are openly conservative bands/artists.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 02, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »

This is by no means an attempt to discuss OUR political opinions...does anyone know if Stamos is a Trump supporter? I always assumed that he was involved before BECAUSE of The Beach Boys. I find it interesting that he is opting to host this without their presence as typically the acts are openly conservative bands/artists.

I don’t think that’s true.  I mean, Carole King is headlining this year, she’s as liberal as they get.  I’ve always thought of Capitol Fourth to be an apolitical event.  PBS programming in general rarely is the sort that appeals to the Trump voter demographic.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 03, 2019, 01:03:40 AM »

Speaking as a non American.

It is very sad that this even needs to be considered. I do remember when the BBs were banned in the early 80s and the feeling that James Watt was just an idiot first and foremost, the party didn’t even come into it. Sure, Reagan stepped in but it was just the right thing to do. Period.

Today the first thought seems to be ‘are they Republicans or Democrats?’. I feel sorry for Americans that this is the case today and you can’t have a Fourth of July Celebration because....it’s the Fourth of July.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 03, 2019, 05:16:56 AM »

Truly sad indeed. It is gut wrenching to imagine members of my favourite group being seen next to that creature they elected leader. It's a consolation that neither of the Wilsons or Jardine would ever consider being seen in any connection to what's going on right now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 05:26:47 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2019, 05:49:40 AM »

I don’t think that’s true.  I mean, Carole King is headlining this year, she’s as liberal as they get.  I’ve always thought of Capitol Fourth to be an apolitical event.  PBS programming in general rarely is the sort that appeals to the Trump voter demographic.

Very cool! I don't routinely follow it. I'm always delighted to see Carole King out and performing for anything. I've made a point to watch it when The Beach Boys have been on and it was just an observation that when they performed, it was typically openly conservative groups/musicians on the bill with them.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 03, 2019, 07:00:36 AM »

I once worked for a PBS station, so I know this one. A Capitol Forth is PBS' programming and has been going on for a long time. It's a live show, with an audience present, but ultimately aimed at a TV audience. Not political, just a birthday party for the USA.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:02:48 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 03, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »

I once worked for a PBS station, so I know this one. A Capitol Forth is PBS' programming and has been going on for a long time. It's a live show, with an audience present, but ultimately aimed at a TV audience. Not political, just a birthday party for the USA.

A crying shame that the national non-political birthday party is being hijacked by that detestable embarrassment to human dignity for his own political glorification. Imagine the backlash if it were Obama promising parades tanks and aircraft...

Sad to witness, but the United States of America is going down rapidly these days. And I used to be one of few to highlight the positives of the USA in conversations with friends. Quite sad, but relieved to no longer be that guy.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 09:14:20 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 03, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »

(Saying I'm not enamored of the current administration would be putting it mildly, but I'd rather see the political discussion stay in the Sandbox.)

Back to Mike and Bruce tour discussion. They were wise to tour Europe this particular summer.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 03, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »

Yes, as I previously said...no need to take it there, while over here.

It seems to me that the European tour is going quite well. With the exception of that review saying they played too long, I'm hearing and reading nothing but positives. Imagine if Mike and Co. spent a solid year just touring other parts of the world aside from the USA. I'd think their demand could probably increase slightly upon return the following year however, they're all climbing in age a bit too much to make plans for 2+ years down the road, on the road!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 04, 2019, 06:18:42 AM »

I was at the concert in Het Nieuwe Luxortheater in Rotterdam yesterday (July 3rd). A good and solid show. See setlist below. I thought both Mike and Bruce's voice held up quite well. And Brian Eichenbacher and Christian Love leads were good imo. The number of leadvocs by John and Scott seem to decrease... Nice to hear Mike speak fondly on his memories of their stay in The Netherlands while recording the Holland album. The Dec. 1970 night concert in Amsterdam (which was delayed almost 5 hours due to fog) was mentioned as well. They do remember those bits of history.

The band (and families) are enjoying a free day today (very appropriate on July 4th). Tomorrow another show, near Rotterdam on the Tweede Maasvlakte. The exact location is unknown, but it's most probably on the beach. When travelling by car one apparently simply has to follow the signs when arriving in the area. From the parking lot busses will transport us to the venue. It's a concert with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. A relatively short set - 2 hours (starting at nine o'clock) including an intermission. Probably no rarities to be expected. But special nonetheless. This concert was organised by cruise company Spido to celebrate their 100th anniversary.
https://www.spido.nl/en/tochten-cruises/consert-the-beach-boys-en-het-rotterdams-philharmonisch-orkest (no English page available with general info or for buying tickets)
https://www.rotterdamsphilharmonisch.nl/en/agenda/176/The_Beach_Boys_en_het_Rotterdams_Philharmonisch_Orkest/100_jaar_Spido_The_Beach_Boys/

Setlist Rotterdam, July 3rd 2019:

First set:
1. Do It Again
2. Surfin' Safari
3. California Sun
4. It's O.K.
5. Surfin' U.S.A.
6. Surfer Girl (band)
7. Then I Kissed Her (Eichenbacher)
8. Dance, Dance, Dance
9. Do You Wanna Dance? (BJ)
10. Good To My Baby (Eichenbacher + ML)
11. In My Room (band)
12. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
13. Darlin'  (Eichenbacher)
14. Cottonfields (Cowsill)
15. Warmth Of The Sun (Totten)
16. Getcha Back
17. Don't Worry Baby (Eichenbacher)
18. Little Deuce Coupe
19. 409
20. Shut Down
21. I Get Around

Second set
22. California Dreamin'  (Cowsill)
23. California Girls
24. Sloop John B. (Totten + ML)
25. Wouldn't It Be Nice (Eichenbacher)
26. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring (ML + BJ + Totten + Eichenbacher)
a few lines of I Write The Songs are played/sung during the introduction of grammy winner Bruce
27. Disney Girls (1957) (BJ)
28. Sail On Sailor (Christian Love)
29. All This Is That (Christian Love)
30. God Only Knows (Christian Love)
31. Pisces Brothers
32. Here Comes The Sun
33. Kokomo
34. All Summer Long
35. Help Me, Rhonda (Christian Love)
36. Barbara Ann (band)
37. Rock & Roll Music
38. Summertime Blues
39. Good Vibrations (Christian Love)

Encore:
40. Rockaway Beach
41. Fun, Fun, Fun
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 06:20:56 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #573 on: July 04, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »

TIL I DIE + GOD ONLY KNOWS + PIECES BROTHERS The Beach Boys Royal Albert Hall London 24 June 2019 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTtFGQjQnK0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 04, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »

Nice stage on the 5th
https://www.ad.nl/rotterdam/spektakel-mega-podium-op-tweede-maasvlakte-voor-concert-beach-boys~a3b6f580/

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx