gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342267 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2018, 08:36:03 AM »

Yeah, whenever I hear Bruce playing it's always the DX7-esque electric piano patch. When it stands out, it's a little cheesy, but when it sits right in the mix (as it usually does), it probably adds a nice cushion, that the audience can't really distinguish. Similar to Al's guitar playing in Brian's shows.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »

Bruce’s piano is only live for about 3 songs in the set
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 13, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »

Bruce said to Howie Edelson in an interview (which can be looked up here) that he (Bruce) saw his keyboard at live shows as mainly an accompaniment for himself, and also mentioned that the audience would really only notice anything if Bruce's keyboard dropped out of the live mix.

There's no question Bruce is a good piano player. So it's worth noting that any criticism of his prominence or lack thereof at live shows either in terms of what he's playing or how audible it is, has to do not with his ability, but with his practical usefulness musically at live shows. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 13, 2018, 06:56:44 AM »

Scott Totten told me that Bruce's keyboard is always on and that his keyboard is the "main sound" in Darlin' and the chorus and bridge of Good Vibrations.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »

The band will play Fleet Week in CA.  Sept 1st in front of USS IOWA, 250 S Harbor Blvd., San Pedro.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2018, 03:09:32 PM »

Any recent setlists to post?
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:58 PM »

Something close to the following;

Do it again
Surfin' Safari
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Surfin' USA
Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Good to my Baby
Darlin'
Why do Fools
You're So Good to Me
When I Grow Up
All the Love in Paris
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
God Only Knows
Pisces Brothers
Unleash the Love
Sloop
WIBN
California Girls
All Summer Long
Rhonda
GV
Barbara Ann
Kokomo
Fun Fun Fun
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 23, 2018, 08:09:16 PM »

I saw them on Saturday at Kemptville Music Festival and the setlist on Setlist FM is accurate, I believe, as is Juice Brohnston's post immediately above. No surprises, but it was a festival show so I wasn't expecting any.

The band sounded good but Mike's voice is really not what it used to be. It's to be expected from a 76 year old man (only Al seems to defy time) but the fact remains, it's not great. For all the criticism I have read of Brian's singing, I can't say Mike's is any better at all. Again, I don't mean this with any disrespect as it's a natural aspect of aging, and Mike and Bruce's punishing tour schedule can't help. Just my observation having seem them a couple of times since C50.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:11:20 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 23, 2018, 11:02:37 PM »

Something close to the following;

Do it again
Surfin' Safari
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Surfin' USA
Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Good to my Baby
Darlin'
Why do Fools
You're So Good to Me
When I Grow Up
All the Love in Paris
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
God Only Knows
Pisces Brothers
Unleash the Love
Sloop
WIBN
California Girls
All Summer Long
Rhonda
GV
Barbara Ann
Kokomo
Fun Fun Fun

Thanks. In previous years, I have passed on the Mike and Bruce show, but I think it's time to see them. Sadly, they don't seem to be in our area this year. A friend saw them at the fair last summer, and was very impressed. Glad they are doing some of the new songs, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2018, 06:31:05 AM »

For all of Mike's talk in his autobiography of giving up dairy (comically seeming more wistful and upset about giving up his "beloved Tillamook Cheddar Cheese" than ending the reunion in 2012) in order to help his voice, he really would be in better voice if he didn't tour all year, every year. He takes a few weeks off here and there, sometimes a bit more time off in the winter months.

But this business of doing 23 shows in 25 night during the summer and all of that, it absolutely shreds his voice. He'd probably be in surprisingly pretty good voice if he toured less.

I don't think it's a total coincidence that he was in comparatively good voice during C50; when the tour started at the end of April 2012, he had been mostly off the road for a solid four months.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »

The Reason For The Season tour will hit Wilmington NC, at the aptly named Wilson Center, Tuesday December 18th at 7:30.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »

Considering the long-term absence of any Wilsons in the band, I'd go with "ironically named" instead.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »

Considering the long-term absence of any Wilsons in the band, I'd go with "ironically named" instead.

LOL ya u could make an argument. Mike's half Wilson, remember!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 24, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »

Some nice sounding clips on You Tube of last nights performance in front of 30,000 plus in Montreal.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 24, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »

Some nice sounding clips on You Tube of last nights performance in front of 30,000 plus in Montreal.

This article says that Mike made a joke about there being no Trump in Canada. Then again, it also describes Pisces Brother as a "superb" song, so maybe we should take it with a grain of salt. https://m.quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/07/24/the-beach-boys-surfer-habilement-sur-la-vague-des-belles-annees_a_23488355/

One more comment: they HAVE to stop doing the schtick with bringing girls up on stage to dance during Barbara Ann. Especially when Totten plays guitar while it's being held by a hot girl...come on, it's 2018. This is cheesy and embarrassing and sexist. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 24, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »

Coincidence that Mike is really pumping up this Christmas tour the same year Brian and Al are doing their first one? Absolutely not . Fits right into the Love competitiveness / perceived inferiority.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:38:56 PM by tpesky » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 24, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »

This article says that Mike made a joke about there being no Trump in Canada. Then again, it also describes Pisces Brother as a "superb" song, so maybe we should take it with a grain of salt. https://m.quebec.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/07/24/the-beach-boys-surfer-habilement-sur-la-vague-des-belles-annees_a_23488355/

One more comment: they HAVE to stop doing the schtick with bringing girls up on stage to dance during Barbara Ann. Especially when Totten plays guitar while it's being held by a hot girl...come on, it's 2018. This is cheesy and embarrassing and sexist. 
Well i sure wouldn't mind if a gorgeous girl joined me onstage for a song every night.
But if it would make you happy, we could have a good looking guy join Scott for the solo some nights.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 26, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »

Review of last night's show in Columbus Dispatch

Mike Love brought his Beach Boys to the Ohio State Fair last night. They may or may not have feasted on corn dogs, turkey legs and elephant ears. The packed house in the Celeste Center last night can testify this morning, though, that the eight-piece band lit the opening night of the Fair with a celebration of eternal, California summer.

It mattered little that Beach Boy mastermind and composer Brian Wilson wasn’t along for the outing. (Wilson has spent far more time during the band’s 57-year career off the road, rather than on it with the band.) Last night it was irrelevant, too, that the other two founding Wilsons are deceased, fifth founding member Al Jardine was absent, and that Bruce Johnston—who joined in 1965--was the only other near-original.

The songs—mostly penned by Brian Wilson—and their performance, stood the test of time.

From the opening cluster of surf-related early material, the band nailed the trademark harmonies, accurately delivered the sometimes tricky arrangements, and kept the energy high. It helped that songs such as “Do It Again,” “Surfin’ Safari,” “Catch A Wave,” and “Surfin’ U.S.A.” flowed together naturally, building a dance fever that had the audience frugging in its seats. The video screen that rolled a mini-documentary before the set continued with non-stop clips of attractive young people frolicking in the ocean.

“Surfer Girl,” the first of the band’s dreamy classics was sweet and warm, its rich harmonies vibrant and alive. “Darlin’” and “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” similarly floated on the glow of their harmony parts. Fabulous falsettos from musical director and guitarist Scott Totten and lead vocals from guitarist Jeffrey Foskett were terrific substitutes for the original singers.

Totten’s guitar solos on the surf numbers smoked.

When the band entered less familiar territory, though, the brightness dulled a bit. The unremarkable “All The Love In Paris” and “Unleash The Love,” from Love’s 2017 solo album, sharply contrasted with the ambition and sophistication of Wilson’s songs. “Pisces Brothers,” a tribute to George Harrison and a remembrance of time spent in India with the Beatles, was most satisfying for its memories. On this and a couple other quiet spotlights, Love’s singing revealed the challenged intonation of his 77 years.

Nonetheless, a songbook identified as much by its tight harmonies as its brilliant songwriting was finely represented last night. The songs stood for themselves; the vocals, shared with Love and Johnston by Foskett, Totten, Love’s son Christian (a passionate reading of “God Only Knows”), and fabulous drummer John Cowsill (an electrifying stand-in for Blondie Chaplin on “Sail On, Sailor”), were proud readings of the originals.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 26, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »

Great review!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 26, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »

Well i sure wouldn't mind if a gorgeous girl joined me onstage for a song every night.
But if it would make you happy, we could have a good looking guy join Scott for the solo some nights.

Nothing to do with guys or girls. It’s tacky and it’s continued moves like this since the 80s that keep the BB as B list entertainers on the party / state fair route when their musical output matches the A listers. Some fans are fine with that others are not.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »

I've always found this gross and tacky (pic from only about a month ago, June 22):

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:16:26 PM by HeyJude » Logged

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 26, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »

Nothing to do with guys or girls. It’s tacky and it’s continued moves like this since the 80s that keep the BB as B list entertainers on the party / state fair route when their musical output matches the A listers. Some fans are fine with that others are not.

Yep.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »

Review

https://www.nwitimes.com/the-beach-boys-present-beloved-hits-in-concert/article_e0791c29-f93e-594f-beeb-f9fda594cb4a.html
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2018, 07:20:38 AM »

The Beach Boys bring some sunshine to a rainy night in Alton.

https://www.riverbender.com/articles/details/iconic-beach-boys-entertain-the-house-despite-of-damp-night-on-alton-riverfront-29800.cfm
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2018, 06:30:44 AM »

Cape Cod Times reporting Good Vibes

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20180812/beach-boys-bring-magic-in-waves
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx