gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:14:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340221 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 13, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »

Boy, can't believe to see such weird defense replies to RubberSoul13's well-written, qualified fan posts. Folks, quit defending Bruce pls, RS13 didn't say anything super-mean towards Bruce. What's the outcries for? He went to M&B shows, read: actually been there, witnessed it. Let the fellow fan speak, what's the big deal. If smb. brings valid points, it should be read without getting worked up. BBs shouldn't be above criticism, including Bruce.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2019, 04:08:37 AM »

I'll add one more fact that maybe I should have from the beginning, which is the source of my dismay and annoyance with Bruce as a musician: He has ALWAYS been THE most gifted instrumentalist of all the official Beach Boys. No question, no one else comes close. I'm not denying his ability however, if you don't use it...you do lose it...so I sure hope he is using his skills in other venues off the Beach Boys stage because they were indeed, a gift.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »

I was talking to my friend about the Bruce playing vs miming thing, and he pointed out something that's fairly obvious, that many of us (including myself) overlook. We're constantly searching for clips that prove Bruce is audible or inaudible, to prove an argument, that he other does always play or doesn't. My friend pointed out, he might just play sometimes when he feels like it, or has a designated part from Scott, but he might turn the volume down if he's focusing on singing or can't remember the changes for the particular section of a song or something. For years I've been one of the people possibly perpetuating the idea that Bruce is using a prop, but it's not out of malice. I'm just genuinely confused (and kinda bummed) why such a phenomenal keyboardist doesn't show his props. I think it would be pretty cool if the group did Disney Girls, in an even more stripped-down fashion, with Bruce playing a "lead" piano, with all the flourishes he did here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NBh0NqaLY) instead of just the little noodling on the DX7 patch. I understand Brian and Al coasting instrumentally: their talents were more in the singing and writing/producing respectfully. I honestly equate Bruce playing his quiet "rhythm" DX7 piano to if Paul McCartney coasted by strumming a nearly silent guitar, instead of playing his famous bass lines. I'm not trying to knock Bruce. I also am not trying to knock what he does in the band. "Rhythm" piano and other accompaniment instruments are very important, sometimes I just wish those parts would be delegated to Tim B for a song or two for Bruce to really show off. But I also understand if Bruce wants to focus on singing. Singing BBs harmonies is HARD.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 15, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »

I just bought tickets fir the 5 July 2019 concert. I noticed that Jeff Foskett was not mentioned as part of the backing group. The band will consist of: Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill, Christian Love, Brian Eichenberger, Randy Leago, Keith Hubacher and Scott Totten.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:48:19 AM by GuyO » Logged
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 15, 2019, 10:57:58 PM »

I just bought tickets fir the 5 July 2029 concert. I noticed that Jeff Foskett was not mentioned as part of the backing group. The band will consist of: Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill, Christian Love, Brian Eichenberger, Randy Leago, Keith Hubacher and Scott Totten.
[/quote

2029 ?? blimey talk about selling tickets in advance   LOL
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 16, 2019, 09:48:42 AM »

;-)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: May 05, 2019, 01:36:10 AM »

Mike and Bruce will play in Freiburg, Germany on July 22nd at the "Zelt-Musik-Festival". Here's an article:

http://fudder.de/die-beach-boys-spielen-2019-auf-dem-zmf-aber-nur-zum-teil--159118416.html

The article mentioned that there is one little hitch and that is that "founding members Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and almost-founding member David Marks" won't be there.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 06, 2019, 12:07:23 PM »

Does anyone have pics/video/audio from the recent Oklahoma show in which Dean Torrence played with Mike? I saw on setlist fm that Surf City and Little Old Lady were inserted after Rhonda and before Barbara Ann, which makes for a great little J&D section. Technically, J&D sang Barbara Ann before The Beach Boys did! Normally, Dean sings the falsetto part (as a dual lead with Chris Farmer or Matt Jardine) on Barbara Ann with his group, would be cool if he doubled up with Ike.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 07, 2019, 06:31:11 AM »

Oops put this in wrong thread. Someone else gave details in correct thread (BW tour 2019)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:55:18 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »

I used to laugh when someone would say Bruce was unquestionably the most talented instrumentalist in the Beach Boys. I don't laugh anymore, I've seen some old clips where he is playing some very nice stuff, but it's just so odd, then, that a guy with great talent as a musician chooses to just be a hand clapper and harmony singer at year after year of shows. Can you imagine, if Carl was still alive, and he stood there with a guitar that he occasionally strummed, mostly ignored, while someone else did all those great CW guitar parts?
Looking forward to seeing the guys in September, and i'm probably the one person looking forward to hearing a couple songs from Unleash the Love live.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 10, 2019, 05:11:52 AM »

I used to laugh when someone would say Bruce was unquestionably the most talented instrumentalist in the Beach Boys. I don't laugh anymore, I've seen some old clips where he is playing some very nice stuff, but it's just so odd, then, that a guy with great talent as a musician chooses to just be a hand clapper and harmony singer at year after year of shows. Can you imagine, if Carl was still alive, and he stood there with a guitar that he occasionally strummed, mostly ignored, while someone else did all those great CW guitar parts?
Looking forward to seeing the guys in September, and i'm probably the one person looking forward to hearing a couple songs from Unleash the Love live.

You'd think he'd want to show off his chops on the keys.  I'm used to it with Bruce, though; being a guitarist, had it been Carl, I would have been very disappointed.  Seeing the group in August and I'll be interested to see if Ike is still subbing for Foskett at this point and what happens (since it's an outside show) if I just yell for some random deep cut.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 10, 2019, 05:21:46 AM »

Bruce has been on auto pilot for years, he collects his checks and probably laughs all the way to the bank. Has to be the cushiest job in today's rock n roll touring circuit.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 10, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »

Bruce has been on auto pilot for years, he collects his checks and probably laughs all the way to the bank. Has to be the cushiest job in today's rock n roll touring circuit.

Absolutely, Tony and just one of the many reasons not to go to the fake Beach Boys cover band gig.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 10, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »

I've never gone to see the Boys since Carl's passing. Nothing against them, and they sound pretty good nowadays, just no desire to see them perform. Too many great memories of seeing the Boys live, with basically the principles through the years. The Beach Boys were always more to me than just the music, though of course that's the main thing. They were the 5 or 6 personalities that comprised the original band; that was magic to me, and it's hard for me to go see the band today or over the course of the past 20+ years, that bills itself as the Beach Boys, when I just don't consider them to be. I will say, I went to the 50th anniversary shows with Brian and those shows were great, primarily because of the deep cut song selections. Brian and Al helped to make it more original, though missing Carl and Denny is tough to overcome.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 10, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »

I've never gone to see the Boys since Carl's passing. Nothing against them, and they sound pretty good nowadays, just no desire to see them perform. Too many great memories of seeing the Boys live, with basically the principles through the years. The Beach Boys were always more to me than just the music, though of course that's the main thing. They were the 5 or 6 personalities that comprised the original band; that was magic to me, and it's hard for me to go see the band today or over the course of the past 20+ years, that bills itself as the Beach Boys, when I just don't consider them to be. I will say, I went to the 50th anniversary shows with Brian and those shows were great, primarily because of the deep cut song selections. Brian and Al helped to make it more original, though missing Carl and Denny is tough to overcome.

My thoughts exactly. Nice post.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 10, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »

... missing Carl and Denny is tough to overcome.

Yep, amen to that sentiment.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 10, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »

... missing Carl and Denny is tough to overcome.

Yep, amen to that sentiment.
I felt the same way for a long time, but one of my best friends saw them the last time they were in town, and that made me wish I had gone. And i'm curious to here how Mike's new songs sound live. These guys won't be around forever; I saw Brian back in 2000, now it's Mike's turn.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 22, 2019, 05:57:00 AM »

New Mike and Bruce date:
Sept. 1 -- Vancouver, BC -- Pacific National Exhibition

There's a fan club pre-sale today at:
https://ticketleader.ca/events/summer-night-concerts-2019

Starts at 6 a.m. PT

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 05, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »

A little snippet of Marky sitting in with America's Band

https://livemusicblog.com/news/marky-ramone-joins-the-beach-boys-mike-love-for-rockaway-beach-live/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 05, 2019, 10:54:48 AM »

Yikes. Backdrop screen promoting a Mike Love single... brand confusion there anyone? But the song sounds pretty good live.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: June 05, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

I have sometimes wondered if anyone in these audiences who *doesn't* know the ins and outs of the band name license are asking themselves (or others) why these new albums and "singles" are being released as "Mike Love" product instead of "Beach Boys" given that Mike isn't out there putting BB tours on hold to tour solo and seems to plug his solo stuff "live" pretty much exclusively during "Beach Boys" concert and TV appearances.

The only relatively full-length gig I can think of that *may* have been billed as a "Mike Love" gig was a premiere party or two he did for "Unleash" and/or his XMas album, and even that was confusing as he was ostensibly maybe doing a "solo" gig, but still using the "Beach Boys" touring band and also doing some BB numbers.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:08:42 AM by marcusb » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 06, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »

I have sometimes wondered if anyone in these audiences who *doesn't* know the ins and outs of the band name license are asking themselves (or others) why these new albums and "singles" are being released as "Mike Love" product instead of "Beach Boys" given that Mike isn't out there putting BB tours on hold to tour solo and seems to plug his solo stuff "live" pretty much exclusively during "Beach Boys" concert and TV appearances.

The only relatively full-length gig I can think of that *may* have been billed as a "Mike Love" gig was a premiere party or two he did for "Unleash" and/or his XMas album, and even that was confusing as he was ostensibly maybe doing a "solo" gig, but still using the "Beach Boys" touring band and also doing some BB numbers.
I don't think the non die-hards even worry about this kind of stuff. It would be like fans wondering why Carl was singing a solo single during the 1983 shows. Or why is Tom Petty taking the Heartbreakers on tour to support his solo album Full Moon Fever?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »

Had a YOLO moment and booked myself onto the Albert Hall in London. Still a few seats dotted about there. Shame they’re not doing Glastonbury, timing would’ve been perfect.

Also, first post! Hello!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »

Had a YOLO moment and booked myself onto the Albert Hall in London. Still a few seats dotted about there. Shame they’re not doing Glastonbury, timing would’ve been perfect.

Also, first post! Hello!

Welcome and enjoy! Without a C50 type lineup, I don't see Glastonbury in the cards for Mike and Bruce, ever.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx