gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:14:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340214 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2018, 08:05:21 AM »

There is only vocal harmony with the BW band... Cool

Which I'm delighted to hear at The Kennedy Center on November 5th again. Why are you on this thread if that's all you have to contribute?
Sorry man, was a little "buzzed" watching my chicago bears win a MNF football game last night. You are a fan's fan seeing all the shows from M&B and BW band!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:42 AM »

Guitarfool - since you asked elsewhere - postings like these that are allowed is the reason I no longer am a regular contributor to this board.

I am all for meaningful discussion of The Beach Boys - and understand some will not like the Mike/Bruce band no matter how talented they are or how much they've stepped up their game since the 'Duke of Earl' days - but what's the point of allowing them to be bashed them without substance?

If there were posts where one contributor said "BRIAN'S OLD!" and the next contributor said "YEAH! BOO BRIAN!", you'd be pissed and probably least give them a warning.

Saying Mike Love's new album is bad because it's loaded with autotune and full of remakes is one thing (which is something I would agree with completely) but numerous postings by the two above being allowed makes this place seem like a biased community where it's OK to sh*t on Mike and Bruce just because, and I don't think that's right.

Since there's some kind of pill for just about everything these days, how about one for making one's skin a bit thicker?  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »

I would take a pill to deal with Bruce, WTF is up with insulting people at shows?

Billy and rubbersoul13 have firsthand stories of "negative" Bruce behavior far beyond "its all about the music" at M&B shows.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2018, 12:23:29 PM »

I would take a pill to deal with Bruce, WTF is up with insulting people at shows?

Billy and rubbersoul13 have firsthand stories of "negative" Bruce behavior far beyond "its all about the music" at M&B shows.

Not just us either!

I've been very critical of Mike through the years but I respect his talent. I have no love for Bruce at all.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

Review of their MN State Fair show last night. Not much love for Love solo material or Stamos’s Forever.

http://www.startribune.com/beach-boys-and-righteous-brothers-thrill-crowds-at-state-fair/491859921/

Love indulged in a few songs from his 2017 solo album, including the forgettable “All the Love in Paris” and “Unleashed Love.”

...Apparently, forgettable enough that the reviewer can't remember the name of the song!   LOL

LOL
Well, the critic had to show how hip he is by dissing ML solo material. It's in the rock critics code of laws, section 3, paragraph 409.

Just the song's name, with the word "Unleash", is enough to generate unintended chuckles, so it's understandable.

"Unleash" conjures images of unleashing dogs or unleashing trouser snakes... so to hear a famous musician - who fashions themselves to be one of the all-time great rock wordsmiths (and reminds interviewers of that repeatedly over and over and over and over and over again) use that clunky word in a song title is just gonna cause many listeners to start off on the wrong foot, right off the bat.

That, and the song also sucks, truly it does. (And I say that being not someone who hates every Mike solo song). And the album cover image tying in the "unleash" imagery is really, really, really laughable. Every person I've showed it to has busted out laughing. That's an unfortunate reality. Not sure if the unbelievably cliche dove imagery or Mike Love wearing a Mike Love hat is funnier. We could take votes to decide, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:53:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »

Unleash the trouser snake! LOL

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »

LOL
Unleash the Crotch Pheasant.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »

Any videos from recent performances?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:50:28 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »

Unleash the trouser snake! LOL

LOL
Unleash the Crotch Pheasant.

Any videos from recent performances?

Say what.......?  Shocked
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »

Why torture yourself? Wink

Like I said, I'll wait and see what the tour actually entails. A big part of me simply doesn't want to put any more money into Bruce Johnston's pocket after the unsolicited verbal abuse I received in Ocean City last year. However, I'd love to finally hear the Christmas tracks live, and Brian's Christmas tour isn't coming close enough.

But you've had other good interactions with Bruce, yeah? He's probably undiagnosed bipolar, but whatever. He's been more than nice to me several times, and one time he was a bit prickly. He's really the one Beach Boy you can delve into rare album tracks and session work, and he'll talk to you about it! You wanna meet these guys, that's the risk you take. He's in his mid 70s and travels around in a bus 200 days out of the year, and people are always wanting to talk to him. You'd probably be a grump sometimes, too.

Your postings in regard to the BB band on this board were really positive pre-Bruce brushing you off on his way to the tour bus after a show. Ever since that experience, you seem sour on them. I get it, but there's not enough time for that. Pretty soon, you'll be able to see NO original Beach Boys. There will be cover bands touring the country, and that's the only way you'll be able to hear this music live.

Do yourself a favor - go see Brian as many times as is feasible, go see Mike/Bruce as many times as is feasible. Once they're gone, they're gone. You'll be sad and you'll be sorry. Go make a new memory with Bruce if you can.

You're not wrong. I also have a lot of respect and admiration for Scott Totten and John Cowsill. It's always a treat to hear them handle the catalog so carefully. As for new memories though, I'll just stay away. I've had lots and lots of interactions with Mike and Bruce. They've been nothing but excellent with Mike. You're right about Bruce. They've gone both ways. What bothered me about Bruce last summer, was that I did not engage or deserve the comment he made. It was a bit more than "slagging off". For those new to the party, I was waiting in a specific location given to me to meet John Cowsill after a concert to have my photo signed, near the tour bus...like 15-20 feet from the bus. As each band member came out to go on the bus (Mike included) I said Goodnight and thanked them for a great show, they all replied accordingly and kept walking. Out comes Bruce...I think I managed to get out "Hi Bruce, Great show..." before I was interrupted with him screaming "NOPE! NOT GONNA DO IT!" (I can only assume that he assumed the photo in my hand was for him to sign) so I replied "I'm sorry, I'm waiting for Mr. Cowsill to sign my photo." as he walked to the bus, stomped up the steps and shouted "Well all RIGHT then Mr. MAAAAAAN" and slammed the door to the bus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »

What an asshole

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2018, 06:30:27 PM »

Ouch man, you didn’t deserve that at all. Between two shows and a meet/ greet, Al and Blondie were great in personal experience. BW was quiet and I don’t blame him in a random M&G situation.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: September 18, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »

Never went to a meet and greet (got there too late Sad  ) but after the show I talked with quite a few members of the band. Paul especially was great, as was Al. Matt recognized my wife (from Facebook perhaps?). Darian was...I don't know. Perhaps was tired after the show.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »

Darian was great when I met him, we talked about the fake beards in summer dreams! Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:27 PM »

He came across as being uncomfortable when I met him...my daughter had told him she "liked his music" and he kind of got irritated and said "that's not my music". I of course explained to Jaymie that he just helped bring Brian's music to life live, but he seemed a little uncomfortable through the whole exchange. I kinda feel bad about the whole thing, even now 3 years later.

Had a conversation with Nelson waiting in line for the restroom LOL  Pretty much everyone was cool, aside from a visibly drunk Scott.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 18, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »

Please include me on this list. But my bad experience came in 1985 at midnight when the band was checking into a hotel. I knew they were coming and positioned myself to have a great moment. It happened as planned, except for Bruce sticking his head in my car and admonishing me for having my children up so late.  We were 10 minutes from home. He is a strange bird.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 18, 2018, 09:38:51 PM »

I truly believe that the personalities of Mike and Bruce was a match made in heaven. Their "togetherness" was and is a no-brainer to me.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 19, 2018, 03:45:10 AM »

Bruce is very much into himself.  The most useless player in rock n roll, contributes next to NOTHING on stage, and acts like he's a big star. Dude has major issues, and has done virtually nothing on stage for years, other than to collect a big check and kiss Mike Love's butt.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 19, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »

I truly believe that the personalities of Mike and Bruce was a match made in heaven. Their "togetherness" was and is a no-brainer to me.

Kinda like Scrooge & Marley.  Roll Eyes

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 19, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »

Bruce is very much into himself.  The most useless player in rock n roll, contributes next to NOTHING on stage, and acts like he's a big star. Dude has major issues, and has done virtually nothing on stage for years, other than to collect a big check and kiss Mike Love's butt.

Atta boy, Tony. Perfect description to a "T".

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: September 19, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »

It's a different story when you get in behind the scenes...away from the fans...and the bus.  Seems like Bruce has more recently had enough of 'it' because I have to say he was generally very decent to me.  Away and apart from the spotlight I found him to be open and honest...forthcoming.  Mind you that was 36 years ago.  He was pleasant and friendly 3 years ago and we would have spoken longer and more in depth except for the demands of the clock.

Mike was never anything but distant...bordering on cold...whenever I encountered him well after the show.  But when he came to sit in as the Rotary Club's guest speaker at a fund raiser some 9 months before the subsequent concert/show in Chatham, Ontario...he was both 'on' and reasonably friendly.  I was surprised actually.  Well acted.

I only ever had a quickly passing acquaintance with Al.  "Hi, nice to meet you" and later "howzit goin'?"  Denny?  Just a few words.  With Brian [circa 2005] I did the usual post show "Thanks/congrats"...then somebody in the pack of well-wishers stepped forward, spooked him and ...zoom...>> off he went.  Melinda was very, VERY nice and friendly.  And Carl Wilson?  He was beyond terrific.  What a sensationally wonderful guy.  Salt of the earth.  A well-rounded soul.  Down to earth and humble.  [every time...generally]
--------------------------------------------------------
That pic of me there ... to the left?  That was me MC'ing that subsequent show I mentioned above back in early August 2015.  The 'Beached Boys' were VERY good that evening.  Scott deserved, and likely still deserves, a ton of credit.  Mike doesn't have the 'chops' to run a stage show.  THAT has always been true.  His 2 distinct notes sax solos from the first half of the 60s do not, him, a musician make.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:07:59 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »

Like I said, I'll wait and see what the tour actually entails. A big part of me simply doesn't want to put any more money into Bruce Johnston's pocket after the unsolicited verbal abuse I received in Ocean City last year. However, I'd love to finally hear the Christmas tracks live, and Brian's Christmas tour isn't coming close enough.

But you've had other good interactions with Bruce, yeah? He's probably undiagnosed bipolar, but whatever. He's been more than nice to me several times, and one time he was a bit prickly. He's really the one Beach Boy you can delve into rare album tracks and session work, and he'll talk to you about it! You wanna meet these guys, that's the risk you take. He's in his mid 70s and travels around in a bus 200 days out of the year, and people are always wanting to talk to him. You'd probably be a grump sometimes, too.

Your postings in regard to the BB band on this board were really positive pre-Bruce brushing you off on his way to the tour bus after a show. Ever since that experience, you seem sour on them. I get it, but there's not enough time for that. Pretty soon, you'll be able to see NO original Beach Boys. There will be cover bands touring the country, and that's the only way you'll be able to hear this music live.

Do yourself a favor - go see Brian as many times as is feasible, go see Mike/Bruce as many times as is feasible. Once they're gone, they're gone. You'll be sad and you'll be sorry. Go make a new memory with Bruce if you can.

Guitarfool - since you asked elsewhere - postings like these that are allowed is the reason I no longer am a regular contributor to this board.

I am all for meaningful discussion of The Beach Boys - and understand some will not like the Mike/Bruce band no matter how talented they are or how much they've stepped up their game since the 'Duke of Earl' days - but what's the point of allowing them to be bashed them without substance?

If there were posts where one contributor said "BRIAN'S OLD!" and the next contributor said "YEAH! BOO BRIAN!", you'd be pissed and probably least give them a warning.

Saying Mike Love's new album is bad because it's loaded with autotune and full of remakes is one thing (which is something I would agree with completely) but numerous postings by the two above being allowed makes this place seem like a biased community where it's OK to sh*t on Mike and Bruce just because, and I don't think that's right.

I want to address a few points made here, in the sense of both moderation and in general posting as myself.

First, as all current and previous mods and admins have tried to make clear numerous times, every decision and action made by us is first discussed and then approved or denied as a team. Despite attempts by disgruntled members in the past to say otherwise, at least since I've been on board there are no actions taken by moderators acting alone without first getting the agreement from the others. There has been nothing done by one moderator going rogue - and presently that means Billy and I. We discuss *everything* pertinent to complaints or actions on this board, we do not pull the trigger randomly or out of spite. Again, despite what others have said, that is how we handle it.

Here and in another thread this week, I've been singled out with these issues, and I'd just ask that anything moving forward be addressed to both myself and Billy according to the board rules. We will try to look at each issue in a reasonable amount of time and reply accordingly once we've discussed it. But it feels unfair to Billy and would be unfair to me (and the board system) if only one of us were singled out repeatedly when the complaints or concerns should be addressed/reported privately so we can do what we always do and put it on the discussion table as a team.

What stuck out in these replies (and this is speaking as me, Craig, as a poster and not a mod) is how you asked a poster who had negative experiences with a band member to overlook that and consider seeing the bigger picture in terms of going to enjoy the band in concert despite that negative experience. That's a valid point.

However, I'd say nearly the same reasoning could be applied to your own feelings about this forum in general. If a few posters out of several hundred members, or in this case two posts out of dozens each day, are upsetting you, I'd suggest ignoring them. The forum is an open forum, as such not everyone will agree or even like what's going on.

But to paint the entire place as well as all the people posting here with such a broad brush based on what amounts to less than 1% of the total posts and the active membership would seem like the same mindset you responded to from the poster who had a bad experience with Bruce.

If the thinking is that someone should not let a bad experience affect their opinions or decisions about the bigger picture of buying tickets to see the band live and the good that the rest of the band has to offer audiences, I'd say the same thinking shouldn't affect decisions on or opinions of the entire forum and the membership here based on a few posters you might not agree with or like.

Regarding this comment: "If there were posts where one contributor said "BRIAN'S OLD!" and the next contributor said "YEAH! BOO BRIAN!", you'd be pissed and probably least give them a warning." :

Again, it has no basis in fact unless someone can find a case in the archives were either me or Billy warned or banned anyone based on that kind of post. We simply do *not* do that, so it's a little insulting to have a situation posted that has not happened in the past. If board rules are broken, we discuss and act. If we are posting as members we can and do reply and debate as everyone else does. But this notion of moderators here bringing out the ban hammer over that kind of thing is false. When posters have been banned in the past, it is either a case of strongly crossing the line, or a history of repeatedly breaking the published rules of the board. It isn't because someone says Brian is old or anything of the sort.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 19, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »

I appreciate your response. You make some valid points in regards to the fact that there ARE many quality posters here, and I shouldn't discount that. I will apologize if the posting made you feel as if it was somehow your fault only. My feelings largely remain the same on the subject, but rather than continue.... love and mercy - I hope we can all be very appreciative that we have two bands to go see with original members and that they are both excellent, and who cares which ones of them wear striped shirts. Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 19, 2018, 04:20:12 PM »

Good point about the 1% GF. It’s comparable to saying ‘I’m not going to a B.B./BW show because I know they will play ‘Barbara Ann’.  LOL
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 20, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »

You're not wrong. I also have a lot of respect and admiration for Scott Totten and John Cowsill. It's always a treat to hear them handle the catalog so carefully. As for new memories though, I'll just stay away. I've had lots and lots of interactions with Mike and Bruce. They've been nothing but excellent with Mike. You're right about Bruce. They've gone both ways. What bothered me about Bruce last summer, was that I did not engage or deserve the comment he made. It was a bit more than "slagging off". For those new to the party, I was waiting in a specific location given to me to meet John Cowsill after a concert to have my photo signed, near the tour bus...like 15-20 feet from the bus. As each band member came out to go on the bus (Mike included) I said Goodnight and thanked them for a great show, they all replied accordingly and kept walking. Out comes Bruce...I think I managed to get out "Hi Bruce, Great show..." before I was interrupted with him screaming "NOPE! NOT GONNA DO IT!" (I can only assume that he assumed the photo in my hand was for him to sign) so I replied "I'm sorry, I'm waiting for Mr. Cowsill to sign my photo." as he walked to the bus, stomped up the steps and shouted "Well all RIGHT then Mr. MAAAAAAN" and slammed the door to the bus.

Bruce is a good guy. If you ever get into a dialogue with him again, and he's at all rude, give it right back to him, you'll probably end up having a good laugh.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx