gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:49:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340503 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »

Nice of them to mention how Brian Wilson and CARL JARDINE are touring in Europe right now, after mentioning how "everyone knows the Beach Boys' story"...
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 14, 2018, 08:41:26 AM »

Nice of them to mention how Brian Wilson and CARL JARDINE are touring in Europe right now, after mentioning how "everyone knows the Beach Boys' story"...

It's amazing how many factual errors appear in these type of articles. Wrong names. Wrong names put to pictures. Always just basic 'checkable' flubs.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 14, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »

I remember one time seeing that "Brian Johnson" was playing on the tour. Smiley

It's amazing how many factual errors appear in these type of articles. Wrong names. Wrong names put to pictures. Always just basic 'checkable' flubs.
rickyroma
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »

newbie to the board, but big favor to ask!  I am bringing my 3 yo son to the mike/bruce beach boys show this saturday and was curious as to how long the concerts have been running.  Setlists are long but I know a lot of these songs are short.  Looks to be an intermission as well.  this would be VERY helpful in terms of planning the lil guy's naps etc. 

I think it is tough to call it the beach boys as well, but my son won't care as long as he gets to shake his behind to surf songs  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »

newbie to the board, but big favor to ask!  I am bringing my 3 yo son to the mike/bruce beach boys show this saturday and was curious as to how long the concerts have been running.  Setlists are long but I know a lot of these songs are short.  Looks to be an intermission as well.  this would be VERY helpful in terms of planning the lil guy's naps etc. 

I think it is tough to call it the beach boys as well, but my son won't care as long as he gets to shake his behind to surf songs  Grin

This link on setlist.fm will show you past setlists for Mike's band. That might help gauge how long your show might be:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/the-beach-boys-3d6c17b.html

Looks like the longer shows go into the 35-40 song range and feature an intermission, so I'm guessing around two hours give or take. Some shows (festivals, fairs, etc.) are shorter and sometimes don't have intermissions.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »

In the past, it seems they've played longer shows at Ocean Grove. I would definitely expect it veer beyond 2.5 hours.
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:33 AM »

Saw the M&B Boys last night, my (admittedly negative) thoughts:

- The band and the quality of the show across the setlist couldn't have been more inconsistent. Some songs sounded fantastic (Darlin, Ole Betsy) but most songs sounded ragged and sloppy
- The tempos felt like they dragged a LOT... When I Grow Up for example felt like a dirge.
- Mike's voice is in decent shape for a guy his age but there were definite rough spots. He has no business singing Rhonda in its original key, for example.
- Mike's solo material sticks out like a sore thumb in the set and is clearly worse than the other songs in the show
- Bruce's harmonies were noticeably weak, but he sounded great on Disney Girls
- Cowsill and Totten stole the show, Cowsill with his rendition of Darlin' and Totten with Ole Betsy and Warmth of the Sun
- The band just felt under-rehearsed, which I know can't possibly be the case since they constantly tour the same material
- If you can pump Dennis' voice in for Do You Wanna Dance, you can definitely pump in Carl's for God Only Knows. Christian Love doesn't do an awful job but come on
- Foskett was not there. Is he not with the band anymore?
- Brian's band is just worlds above Mike's, and it's not even close. Better harmonies, better arrangements, better ingredients, better pizza, Papa John's
- The song the crowd got most excited for was Kokomo, sadly
- I'll add more as I think of it but honestly I'd give the show a 3.5/10. I'm glad I got to see Mike and Bruce in person, but it was overall a poor performance
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: August 17, 2018, 10:01:25 AM »

Looking at some YouTube videos of last night's show, it's hard to tell, but someone is there in place of Foskett. My best guess based on height and posture is Randell Kirsch, who already subbed on a few dates early this year. It looks like Kirsch or whomever is also probably playing Foskett's guitar, so maybe it was a last-second thing. So it might just be a short temporary absence for Foskett. I dunno.

I see videos of Mike's show from 8/12 and Foskett is there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 10:04:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »

Yes, it appears to be Randell Kirsch filling in for Jeff Foskett.
Worzel Gummidge
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 17, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »

Mike Love totally hit on my friend while on stage at the Connecticut show the other night (Aug. 15)!! Other people from the audience even came up to her after the show and congratulated her for catching his eye in such a blatantly obvious way lol. I would’ve been jealous of this attention she was getting from Dr. Love, but he also gave me a high five and let me sing a quick line on ‘Barbara Ann’ into the mic while we were dancing by the stage! Anyway, I wonder if this kind of thing is a common occurance... whatever the case, I found it incredibly amusing and it makes for a great memory!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 17, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »

Don't get replies saying Christian sounds *just* like Carl. He didn't & doesn't. Btw, fans who didn't catch Mike's special attention, isn't it luck, in fact? Why would anybody going to enjoy show be interested in catching band's attention? If you don't, you don't. What's the big deal. Fans shouldn't be interested in chatting with band etc. It doesn't make sense. Show is seeing/ hearing music. Am I right or am I right?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 18, 2018, 05:30:58 AM »

I don't comment much here anymore because of the anti-Mike bias in the establishment and some of its posters (I much prefer to hang around with fans who respect that fact that both Brian and Mike were essential to the band success and can enjoy their both being out on the road doing their thing), but over the last 30 days, I've seen Brian/Al twice and Mike/Bruce three times, and going again to the latter's group tonight, so I feel I can comment on the state of both bands pretty fairly.

Mike/Bruce:

GOOD:

-Really tight lately.
-Cowsill drums like a madman.
-Really fun, energetic, lively when you're near the action.
-In my opinion, when you're sitting in your seat, Mike sounds pretty identifiable, like his 60s self.
-Bruce singing Disney Girls is always a nice part of the show.
-Great visuals behind them.
-I think Jeff fits more to the M&B show than to Brian, I like his voice better in this blend. He's apparently getting married again, so Randell Kirsch is filling in temporarily, and of course, he knows his stuff!

-NOT SO GOOD:

-At the shows I've seen, the setlist has shrunk a bit. 32, 34 and 34 songs. To be fair, this probably has more to do with the venues and restrictions.
-Pisces Bros needs to go. I can understand wanting to plug the new album, but just All The Love In Paris or Unleash The Love would serve this purpose.
-Why Do Fools Fall In Love & California Dreamin' - would love to see them replace these with something a little deeper in the Beach Boys catalog.

Brian/Al:

GOOD:

-It's BRIAN WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Band is always super duper duper great. Jim works perfectly in Nelson's former role.
-Al sounds fab as always.
-Respect and reverence for the music that you can palpably feel, more than the M&B band.

NOT SO GOOD:

-After 10+ times of seeing it, very very tired of Blondie's schtick. It takes up too much of the show.
-Brian doesn't sing enough.
-This is very understandable, but Brian's is singing the weakest I've ever heard him. Compare it to even the 2012 shows and the difference is audible.
-Too many car and surf cuts. Setlists from previous tours always spiced it up a lot more (in regards to non-PS sets). I want to hear more songs that are identifiable as Brian Wilson gems, not what M&B play to please the masses.

My recommendation? They are both awesome shows to see if you can, for different reasons. I've had a blast this summer because of all of these gentlemen.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:32:09 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 18, 2018, 06:46:00 AM »

I couldn't agree more with your summary of each show.

I really don't understand the criticism of Mike's voice. I think his voice has held up really well for someone his age. Definitely not like Al's, but when you go to see Mike Love's Beach Boys show Mike's lead vocals sound pretty great in my opinion. I've seen The Beach Boys in concert every year since 2014, and I've never been disappointed. Cowsill's drumming is worth price of admission alone. But the harmonies are perfect, the band is tight, and most importantly, the show is fun. Even though we know it's not really THE BEACH BOYS, Mike and his crew put on a perfect Beach Boys show.

I love seeing Brian too. His band plays like a beautiful pop orchestra, whereas Mike's band is more rock n roll. Brian's band conveys the beauty of The Beach Boys music, whereas Mike's band conveys the fun of The Beach Boys music.

To each his own I suppose. I love both shows. I didn't get the chance to see a C50 show, but from what I can tell from videos, it combined the best of Mike and Brian's shows into one. Wish I could have seen one of those shows.
Worzel Gummidge
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 18, 2018, 07:21:09 AM »

Btw, fans who didn't catch Mike's special attention, isn't it luck, in fact? Why would anybody going to enjoy show be interested in catching band's attention? If you don't, you don't. What's the big deal. Fans shouldn't be interested in chatting with band etc. It doesn't make sense. Show is seeing/ hearing music. Am I right or am I right?
Hmm, not sure I entirely agree. We didn’t go to the show expecting to get close to the stage at all, so that being said, my entire story was just icing on top of the Beach Boys cake. Given the chance, who wouldn’t want to be inches from a rocking group of highly respectable living legends? To me, concerts are more than just ‘seeing and hearing’, it’s about the whole experience. And speaking for performing artists, it’s always a great feeling to connect with the audience. After 50+ years, I’d say Mike’s gotten quite creative with that!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 18, 2018, 01:08:01 PM »

Looks like Ike is currently filling in for Foskett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotg4tj8UfQ
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 18, 2018, 05:28:47 PM »

Mike Love totally hit on my friend while on stage at the Connecticut show the other night (Aug. 15)!! Other people from the audience even came up to her after the show and congratulated her for catching his eye in such a blatantly obvious way lol. I would’ve been jealous of this attention she was getting from Dr. Love, but he also gave me a high five and let me sing a quick line on ‘Barbara Ann’ into the mic while we were dancing by the stage! Anyway, I wonder if this kind of thing is a common occurance... whatever the case, I found it incredibly amusing and it makes for a great memory!!

Very common. Same tasteless display a few days later.

https://youtu.be/epSoNfR5jbo
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2018, 08:04:51 PM »

Yup, the same old tacky, legacy trashing antics by the dirty old man himself(myKe luHv) along with his crew of dependents who act out his twisted fantasies. Such a pathetic ending to a once treasured band.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »

Mike sounds good in those clips. I wasn’t able to go when they were close to me this week, had a conflict .
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 18, 2018, 10:55:22 PM »

Yup, the same old tacky, legacy trashing antics by the dirty old man himself(myKe luHv) along with his crew of dependents who act out his twisted fantasies. Such a pathetic ending to a once treasured band.  Roll Eyes
I think we'd love Mike if he was a broken down old man who had to be carried to his microphone at center stage, and just sat there looking miserable as he sang the greatest hits for the billionth time.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 19, 2018, 03:26:55 AM »

Huh? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2018, 03:28:37 AM »

Lonely Luhvster.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 19, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »

-After 10+ times of seeing it, very very tired of Blondie's schtick. It takes up too much of the show.
-Brian doesn't sing enough.
-This is very understandable, but Brian's is singing the weakest I've ever heard him. Compare it to even the 2012 shows and the difference is audible.
-Too many car and surf cuts. Setlists from previous tours always spiced it up a lot more (in regards to non-PS sets). I want to hear more songs that are identifiable as Brian Wilson gems, not what M&B play to please the masses.
Totally agree. Blondie's gimmick wears very thin after a while.

Brian's voice has gone really south since 2015 or so. The No Pier Pressure shows were the last time Brian's voice was in good shape for the shows. It was gradually declining since the BWPS shows, but the last two or three years of touring have been especially rough. I think this goes hand in hand with Brian taking less of the leads. I'd be more than happy to hear him sing more even in lowered keys, but I'm getting the impression that it's not just the high notes he struggles with but also the breath support.

And on the last thing, also dead on. Brian's show has shifted from a showcase of Brian's best songwriting to a showcase of Beach Boys hits. The thing I keep hearing is that Brian wants a more rock-oriented show with less verbose songs.

I really don't understand the criticism of Mike's voice. I think his voice has held up really well for someone his age. Definitely not like Al's, but when you go to see Mike Love's Beach Boys show Mike's lead vocals sound pretty great in my opinion.
The only time I felt like Mike was struggling vocally was on Rhonda. Otherwise he was solid.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:30:01 AM by Uncle Walter » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2018, 08:46:16 AM »

I've seen both bands a few times in the last years and I would say Brian, Mike and Bruce are all struggling vocally. Al is incredible. 

I saw Mike and Bruce in august 2015, May 2017, August 2017, and July 2018. At the show last month, his singing was just not great. Very very nasal and his singing was quite flat in parts. And I say that trying to be as objective as possible.

I saw Brian in June 2015, a ton of times on the first leg of the PS tour in 2016, and most recently in September 2017. As we all know he has good and not-as-good nights but yes, his singing has declined markedly since C50.

The reality is that singing is very physical and age takes a serious toll. There aren't many singers in their mid- to late-seventies that can compete with their younger voices.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 19, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »

In case anyone is interested Foskett is out because his daughter is getting married this weekend just saw on his Facebook.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »

Anyone catch them on TV today after the Little League game ?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx