gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:46:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340219 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 04, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »

Brian Wilson’s genius is “fake” news... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2018, 03:28:42 PM »

Mike will be getting some kind of award at this event tonight too.

The National Artistic Achievement Award. Can't say I can find much info on it. It's had 4 prior recipients, including Stevie Wonder.

Yes, that's what it was, thanks for the clarification. I hope someone explained to Mike that The Beach Boys are getting the award, as in including the Wilsons and Jardine et al, and it's not just going to Mike & Bruce. If he delivers an acceptance speech when Stamos gives him the award, I hope he sees fit to name his original bandmates which he doesn't seem to do as often these days in his promotional press junket interviews.

If he does, it'll probably be to remind everybody that Brian is his cousin (which he only does when discussing Brian's many accomplishments)

I would not be surprised if that's exactly what happens! It's been Mike's M.O. in recent interviews to either go that route, or not mention the name "Brian" at all. As happened on an 8-minute long interview recently done on UK television.

Billy with the win in round 1! I don't know what this interviewer's credentials are or who he represents, but here are Mike and Bruce yapping away earlier today in DC...

https://youtu.be/4bDORIR2YzA?t=29s

Now were the original 80's July 4th shows in DC Mike's idea? He seems to suggest that in this interview. Legit question...is the credit for those shows really Mike's? Hmm.

For the longest time, I didn't know there was a radio guy named "Cousin Brucie" and  when Mike referred to him, I thought he was talking about Bruce Johnston LOL  I was like "holy sh*t this guy has a serious problem" LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: July 04, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »

Haha!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: July 04, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »

https://truestrange.com/2017/07/15/how-everyone-alive-now-on-earth-is-your-cousin/

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »

Apparently - given the time Mike spent on it in this interview - discussing "I Write The Songs" is weighted heavier than mentioning Carl, Dennis, or the Beach Boys (pre-license) at all. Only a mention of "my cousin Brian" regarding songs he wrote with Mike.

Oh, and suggesting the original run of DC 4th of July concerts was Mike's idea.

It shouldn't, but this stuff gets me fired up.

Mike: It isn't about you.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: July 04, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »

Apparently - given the time Mike spent on it in this interview - discussing "I Write The Songs" is weighted heavier than mentioning Carl, Dennis, or the Beach Boys (pre-license) at all. Only a mention of "my cousin Brian" regarding songs he wrote with Mike.

Well said Cousin Craig LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 04, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »

Uncle Billy should interview M&B!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:47:19 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2018, 03:44:21 PM »

Thank you, Cousin Billy!  Grin

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: July 04, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »

Uncle Billy should interview M&B!

Thank you Aunt Melinda, er, Cousin Smile Brian!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: July 04, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »

Thank you, Cousin Billy!  Grin

Wink
Half tempted to do a word filter on the board that automatically changes "Brian" to "Cousin Brian" LOL
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:57:25 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »

Do it (again)!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »

Any highlights from the show?

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2018, 06:13:35 PM »

Here is the stream on YouTube - Mike's set just ended around 9:10 EST, I Get Around, Kokomo (with Buffett) shortened that went right into Fun Fun Fun.

You should be able to rewind the stream to catch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5HNFhzNdnI

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: July 04, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »

Mike did accept the award "on behalf of Brian, Carl, and Dennis Wilson, Alan Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce and I".

Cool - As it should be.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »

That's a relief..... Wink

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2018, 06:41:17 PM »

I've been fooled before, but it sounded live to me. Not saying there wasn't anything extra--certainly could have been. Much improved compared to years past with the pre-recorded vocals/tracks.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2018, 06:56:23 PM »

Buffett instead of McGrath is a win lol
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 04, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »

I'll YouTube this lyp-synched shlock tomorrow...better things to do tonight...

https://youtu.be/MnRchdfsnMw

The second year in a row I am grateful Mike fired Brian, Al and David, and gave a new meaning to ‘Independence’ Day.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:56:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 04, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »

I' ve been  a die hard fan for decades and decades (as some of you may remember). But in recent years have been sidelined by a growing interest in the blues, pop and swing my friends and co-musicians enjoy playing.   But I've drifted back in recent weeks to the lovely melodies and lore of the Boys.   Gotta say, I am amazed by the ongoing strength and musicianship of Mike and the touring band.   Couldn't believe how well they came across in the DC performance today.  Mike, Bruce, Cowsill, Scotty, , Jeff, and the rest are still going strong it seems.  Hell, even Stamos.   Been 3 years or more since I last saw them.   5 years since I last saw BW.  May see them again in California this fall.   These guys still bring me a bit of happiness..  amazing after all these years.    
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 04, 2018, 08:03:23 PM »

I've been fooled before, but it sounded live to me. Not saying there wasn't anything extra--certainly could have been. Much improved compared to years past with the pre-recorded vocals/tracks.

Pretty sure it's lipsynced or at least pitch corrected a bit, but it's much better than last year. I feel like scott totten's opening riff for "fun, fun, fun" had a tiny slightly muted string mistake in it, so that leads me to believe that it wasn't live for the broadcast, it was at least just a recent live performance's audio.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 04, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »

You can definitely tell that there's something going on with mike's vocal, but I'm not sure what it is anymore. If you listen to the first line of "fun, fun, fun" you can hear two mike love vocals simultaneously on the first word "well" before it cuts out like it was a mistake.

It really doesn't matter in a situation like that, though. Mike's vocal has been live and fairly strong the two times I've seen him in concert.
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 04, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »

Saw Mike and Bruce a couple days ago, and while there were tributes to Carl and Dennis with GOK and DYWD (they used Dennis' lead vocal), I was surprised that there was absolutely no mention of Brian.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 04, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »

Welcome back donald!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: July 04, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »

Never mind my original post... I was looking at the wrong video. Performance wasn’t bad and mike sounded better but the mix was too “wet” and Stamos continues to annoy me

Edit

Referring to the clip of them doing I Get Around
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:41:49 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2018, 08:36:22 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised.  The vocal sound was pretty strong...the best of all of the 'acts' I thought.  I wondered what they did to enhance Mike's power and tone...  It worked.

Quibbles?  Why wouldn't they put the camera on Jeff when he was singing key parts of Kokomo?  Looked stupid...amateurish.  Obviously a poor production idea.  Why send John Cowsill packing in order to put 'who's-his-arse' on the drums?  Just let him play the guitar...or some bongos.  Jimmy isn't good at singing harmonies.  As I have said for years...'speechifying' ain't Mike's strong suit.  It never has been.  Stumbling through his wee accepting of the award 'blurt' was pretty iffy...and he forgot to include Blondie and Ricky.

All in all though?  W A Y  better than last year's debacle.  Hey!!!  I gotta tell the truth. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx