gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:05:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think did better in 1964?
The Beach Boys
The Beatles

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1964: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 14309 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:36 AM »

Here's the next battle of the stuff released in 1964:

three albums (Shut Down Vol. II, All Summer Long and The Beach Boys' Christmas Album) and (then) non-album singles (When I Grow Up/She Knows Me Too Well, Dance Dance Dance)

vs. two albums (A Hard Day's Night and Beatles For Sale) a non-album single (I Feel Fine/She's a Woman) and an EP (Long Tall Sally, I Call Your Name, Slow Down and Matchbox)

Now, which do you think did better in this year? Please use to poll above to vote.

In voting, make sure you go only by your personal preference (not the historical significance or commercial success) and only consider the released tracks above.

Look forward to seeing how the result comes out.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »

Both bands were really hitting on all cylinders from 1964-1966.   But, I'm going Beatles again by a hair. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »

AHDN is one of my favorite Beatles albums.
But the songs the BBs cranked out that year - The Warmth of The Sun, When I Grow Up, Don't Worry Baby, She Knows Me Too Well, All Summer Long, plus their other hits, make this an easy decision for me.

BEACH BOYS.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:11:18 AM »

Once again, the Beach Boys' highs are on par with the Beatles, but in terms of front-to-back consistency there's no contest.

The Beatles didn't have anything approaching filler along the lines of "Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson", "Shut Down Part II", "Louie Louie", "Denny's Drums", "Carl's Big Chance", "Our Favorite Recording Sessions", etc.

I adore even most of the BB's filler, and there's also a second tier of BB stuff from these albums that aren't filler but that I'd say objectively are somewhat slight that I still love, like "This Car of Mine", "Pom Pom Playgirl", "Do You Remember?", etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:44:55 AM »

Once again, the Beach Boys' highs are on par with the Beatles, but in terms of front-to-back consistency there's no contest.

The Beatles didn't have anything approaching filler along the lines of "Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson", "Shut Down Part II", "Louie Louie", "Denny's Drums", "Carl's Big Chance", "Our Favorite Recording Sessions", etc.

I adore even most of the BB's filler, and there's also a second tier of BB stuff from these albums that aren't filler but that I'd say objectively are somewhat slight that I still love, like "This Car of Mine", "Pom Pom Playgirl", "Do You Remember?", etc.

That's pretty much my reasoning.  There was a Beatles v Beach Boys poll on the PSF, and I cast my vote for The Beatles every year except 1966 (I rate Pet Sounds a little higher than Revolver). 

Frankly, I think it's unfair to compare almost any catalog to that of The Beatles. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »

The Beatles sold more records and got more airplay in 1964, but the Beach Boys dominated my turntable that year.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:14:31 AM »

Yes...the Beach Boys Shut Down 2 contained  W A Y  too much filler...thus rendering the album almost 2nd class...but there were still 7 really good tunes on it...5 of 'em excellent.  All Summer Long contained 4 excellent songs and a couple more good ones.  The Xmas thing seemed elderly in terms of production by comparison...and its best song was released in December 1963...but that said... ... ...

The Beatles Hard Days Night l.p...included 8 GREAT songs...and in real time...the N. American release/version only contained 6 great songs as it was loaded down with instrumental filler....For Sale has about 5 great songs and some other pretty good ones. I Feel Fine/She's a Woman was a double sided SMASH.  The E.P.?  That was a local thing not generally part of the equation in North America.  So...  Adding things up...The Beatles realistically squeak out a win in 1964.  [although personally...I preferred the Beach Boys.]

Right now...off the top of my head...It's a toss-up for 1965...The Beach Boys OWN 1966.  The Beatles pound the living daylights out of EVERYBODY in 1967.  And the Fab 4 wins out in '68, '69 and then in 1970?...I'll take Sunflower over Let It Be 7 days a week...365 [and a quarter] days of the year.  After that?  The Beach Boys win every year BY DEFAULT.  Summer in Pair of Dice beats NO release if only JUST BARELY.

You can factor in my subsequent votes accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:20:09 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »

Welllll...glad I don't make fuss about consistency. Filler-not filler, BBs win this year, again going by math which is the easiest way to determine who wins. Surprised nobody used it, ha.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:21:32 AM »

I thought I did use math.  13 excellent songs to 12.  A squeaker win by the 'mop tops'.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:22:07 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »

I see it now. Smiley I may post when you posted at the time. [08-sth.]

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:31 AM »

Just my opinion!
It's not just the math. Yes, the Beatles had a number of great songs in 1964. But for me, the Beach Boys had more songs that touched my soul, affected me emotionally. Can't think of any 1964 Beatles songs that affected me in that way.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »

Welllll...glad I don't make fuss about consistency. Filler-not filler, BBs win this year, again going by math which is the easiest way to determine who wins. Surprised nobody used it, ha.

Consistency means *more* good songs. How is that not math?

That's setting aside that saying which band one likes more than the other actually has zero to do with math. I don't think anyone wants to start using objective measurements like true math (e.g. sales, chart position), because then it's *really* no contest.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »

Let it be known that, as far as I know, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys were not sitting around in 1964 saying "Well, the Beatles are selling more than us, but that doesn't have anything to do with how good their music is."

While I'm sure they would have loved to outsell the Beatles, Brian and the rest of the guys knew from the get-go that the Beatles were making amazing music.

I'd be willing to wager that most of the guys in the BBs, back then or now, would have handed most of the years in the 60s to the Beatles in a head-to-head.

KDS
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »

Let it be known that, as far as I know, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys were not sitting around in 1964 saying "Well, the Beatles are selling more than us, but that doesn't have anything to do with how good their music is."

While I'm sure they would have loved to outsell the Beatles, Brian and the rest of the guys knew from the get-go that the Beatles were making amazing music.

I'd be willing to wager that most of the guys in the BBs, back then or now, would have handed most of the years in the 60s to the Beatles in a head-to-head.

I think you're right, and I think there was a mutual respect between the two groups. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »

That's setting aside that saying which band one likes more than the other actually has zero to do with math. I don't think anyone wants to start using objective measurements like true math (e.g. sales, chart position), because then it's *really* no contest.
By math I meant number of favorite BBs songs vs. number of favorite Beatles songs (in this case, 1963 songs). Which ultimately shows precisely who's your favorite band. I don't care about sales, charts, this thread isn't anything to do with objectivity.

As to "consistency", I didn't look at it as "more good songs". To me, the way I'd seen it, it's songs that flow well together making nice stabile listening, nothing stands out as too different, it's like single long song. Does it make any visible sense? Maybe it doesn't. But since you explained the real definition, I'll thank you instead.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:35:20 AM »

Just my opinion!
It's not just the math. Yes, the Beatles had a number of great songs in 1964. But for me, the Beach Boys had more songs that touched my soul, affected me emotionally. Can't think of any 1964 Beatles songs that affected me in that way.

That’s what I’m going by. This was a killer year for The Beach Boys...Brian is going all out with experimenting on tracks: their first number 1 hit uses sections of pure a cappella, a harpsichord, and some of their finest harmonies yet.

‘Fun, Fun, Fun’ kicks off with a chuck berry inspired riff, Brian wails that falsetto at the end, Mike and Brian both create a timeless anthem of American spirit.

‘Don’t Worry Baby’ is one of Brian’s most heartfelt tunes; so simplistic in its message, yet those voices amplify this message to heavenly proportions. Show me one Beatles song that came even close to how angelic The Beach Boys sound on this track. Not even ‘Hear There and Everywhere’ comes close.

‘Little Saint Nick’ became one of the most listened to holiday tunes to this very day.

‘All Summer Long’ became the send out song to one of America’s most iconic nostalgia movies (American Graffiti).

‘Keep An Eye On Summer’ written days after the assassination of JFK, is dark sounding yet one of their most beautiful tunes.

‘Dance Dance Dance’ and ‘She Knows Me Too Well’ are a sign of things to come in 1965. Brian amps up the wall of sound with the former but continues the angelic sounds of DWB with the latter.

Mostly, it just comes down to how much The Beach Boys music moves me over The Beatles. No question the Beatles had more hits and great songs, but most of those hits don’t take me to the places, emotionally/spiritually that The Beach Boys hits/songs do.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »

I enjoy examining this stuff year by year, and I know we're going for more subjective analysis than clinical objectivity. But at the same time, I think you have to pull back and add a little objectivity to the mix, something a bit beyond what *you* personally like. Otherwise, what's the point of asking a *BEACH BOYS* message board which band they like more?

There's a point at which saying every year that "the Beach Boys spoke to my soul and the Beatles didn't" is going to get a bit redundant.

I also think, by getting a bit more into the nuts and bolts and adding a bit more specificity, it will help make apparent that those comparing these two bands are actually truly *familiar* with both catalogs in toto.

I'll be honest, there is an occasional comment here and there in BB fan communities comparing the two bands where it smells like someone isn't actually super familiar with the entire Beatles catalog. Not on this board, but I have run into the occasional obsessive BB fan who owns 27 pressings of "Problem Child" who has never listened to "Abbey Road."

KDS
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »

I'll be honest, there is an occasional comment here and there in BB fan communities comparing the two bands where it smells like someone isn't actually super familiar with the entire Beatles catalog. Not on this board, but I have run into the occasional obsessive BB fan who owns 27 pressings of "Problem Child" who has never listened to "Abbey Road."

I've noticed across the boards I've been one to that there's a small group of BB fans who seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder about The Beatles because the Beatles are generally more popular / respected.   I've read comments (paraphrasing here) like The Beatles are a merely competent band hiding behind a great producer, just a beat group, style over substance, etc etc. 

In that light, fans saying that songs by The Beach Boys speak to them more than Beatles songs seems much more logical to me because they cite personal preference while still acknowledging the greatest of the Fab Four. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 09:49:37 AM »

Otherwise, what's the point of asking a *BEACH BOYS* message board which band they like more?

There's a point at which saying every year that "the Beach Boys spoke to my soul and the Beatles didn't" is going to get a bit redundant.
You didn't see that people in BBs message boards genuinely like Beatles & choose them to BBs?

If people say the phrase in quotes, what, they should lie & say Beatles' music spoke to soul to not be redundant? Doesn't make sense.

2KDS: you seem annoyed at people not acknowledging Beatles. If some people hate them, let them. Smiley What's the big deal?

KDS
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »

Otherwise, what's the point of asking a *BEACH BOYS* message board which band they like more?

You didn't see that people in BBs message boards genuinely like Beatles & choose them to BBs?

If people say the phrase in quotes, what, they should lie & say Beatles' music spoke to soul to not be redundant? Doesn't make sense.

2KDS: you seem annoyed at people not acknowledging Beatles. If some people hate them, let them. Smiley What's the big deal?

My point is that I think some fans' judgement are so clouded by the fact that The Beatles are more revered than The Beach Boys that they refuse to give The Beatles any credit. 

To use a sports analogy, I'm from Baltimore, and our fans tend to suffer from a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to our beloved Orioles and Ravens, to the point where fans will absurdly say things like "Why did Aaron Judge (Yankees) win the Rookie of the Year over Trey Mancini (Orioles)?  Typical pro Yankees bias."  In reality, Judge had a much better year, and at the early stages of their careers, seems to be the better player. 

It would be like if you went on a Beatles page, and saw every other comment about The Beach Boys say throwaway surf music, or songs about hotrods, etc. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 09:55:15 AM »

In that light, fans saying that songs by The Beach Boys speak to them more than Beatles songs seems much more logical to me because they cite personal preference while still acknowledging the greatest of the Fab Four. 

Yeah, I totally agree the Beatles had far more hits. And I do consider them the better “band” (charts, hits, cohesive albums). Heck, this year I listened to Sgt. Pepper probably 10x more that I did Pet Sounds. Still, my own personal preference (which the OP asked for) is that based in a spiritual mindset (because that’s how I listen to The Beach Boys music mostly). Beach Boys will always be my favorite.

It’s nice to hear both sides, and considering this is a Beach Boys forum its interesting to see the Beatles are winning the poll.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »

Yeah, I totally agree the Beatles had far more hits. And I do consider them the better “band” (charts, hits, cohesive albums). Heck, this year I listened to Sgt. Pepper probably 10x more that I did Pet Sounds. Still, my own personal preference (which the OP asked for) is that based in a spiritual mindset (because that’s how I listen to The Beach Boys music mostly). Beach Boys will always be my favorite.

It’s nice to hear both sides, and considering this is a Beach Boys forum its interesting to see the Beatles are winning the poll.

Exactly.   It does make for an interesting comparison. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »

My point is that I think some fans' judgement are so clouded by the fact that The Beatles are more revered than The Beach Boys that they refuse to give The Beatles any credit. 

It would be like if you went on a Beatles page, and saw every other comment about The Beach Boys say throwaway surf music, or songs about hotrods, etc. 
Don't you think BBs fan's refusal to give credit to Beatles is due to genuine dislike of their material? It's possible & it exists. It can be like this - they read praises about Beatles, think hey should I check them, play music &...bam, they're absolutely clueless why Beatles got universal praise & reverence as s/he isn't impressed.

KDS
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »

Don't you think BBs fan's refusal to give credit to Beatles is due to genuine dislike of their material? It's possible & it exists. It can be like this - they read praises about Beatles, think hey should I check them, play music &...bam, they're absolutely clueless why Beatles got universal praise & reverence as s/he isn't impressed.

Sometimes, yes.  But, like in the case that HeyJude mentioned with some fans having 27 pressings of Problem Child without ever listening to Abbey Road, not so much.  

Plus, if you look at my post, I cited it's a very small number of BB fans.   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:08:10 AM by KDS » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »

Yep, despite HeyJude advising to be little objective or else Beach Boys board wouldn't pick Beatles, 8 posters did. F.ex., Add Some who chose Beatles this year by doing simple math - 13 favorite Beatles vs. 12 favorite BBs. I shall reiterate - it's the best & easiest way.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx