gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:34:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183467 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 21, 2018, 05:27:01 AM »

Hey guys,

Wanted to share an updated version of my Passing By extraction mix:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s5oim60tox0878/Passin%27%20By%20%28Brian%20Vocal%201972%29%20mix%202.mp3?dl=0

I added the intro as added by Brian and co (in 1972?  Smiley)

Also did a little tightening up on the timing editing on Brian's vocals. I'll admit, the editing was pretty intrusive there, but my goal was to make the listening experience as close to hearing what it would've sounded like if Brian took a real stab at it.

Sidenote - please don't read into the 1972 date too deeply. That said, if "Awake" was recorded in late '71 - I'd say there's a chance this is '72. Sounds more like the guy on the intro of "California" than the "Awake" guy. Same time, could've been an off day in '71.

Love it!!

Big fan of your work seltaeb, thanks  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 21, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »

Great job Setlab!

Speaking of the Passing By demo. Did Brian record a whole new track for the demo or did he just overdub his vocals on the original and pitch shift it?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: December 21, 2018, 03:16:02 PM »

Sounds like the original track to me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 21, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »

Queries:

1. Why hadn't the 1966 Track Mix for CIFOTM been released previously? Is it a new discovery?

2. Is it Stephen Desper on the talkback (e.g. Meant For You)?

I can try to answer #1. Alan B., are you still reading? This is the IIGS I heard on one of Durrie's acetates. If this was the source, then I understand. There was a quick search for those acetates back in the day but they weren't found, so it was thought they were no longer in existence. Then in 2012 several acetates were discovered when her storage locker was cleaned out.  So that was obviously after the box set came out.

I listened to all of the acetates, and this IIGS was on one of the H&V acetates. It wasn't the only unique piece on that acetate, so I'm curious as to why the other pieces didn't make it out.

Thanks for confirming this! It's good to know that the mystery IIGS you'd described is now available for us to hear, such as it is. I'd love to learn more about it and the Durrie Parke acetates. Fascinating.

Once again, this music is incredible and a welcome addition to the catalogue. Thanks to all who made it happen!

Watch out for snakes!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2018, 03:26:17 AM »

Great job Setlab!

Speaking of the Passing By demo. Did Brian record a whole new track for the demo or did he just overdub his vocals on the original and pitch shift it?

Also, is thisdemo related to the sessions in which Brian together with Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer re-recorded several of the Friends songs (incl. Wake the World, Friends and Be Still)?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2018, 08:25:20 AM »

Great job Setlab!

Also, is thisdemo related to the sessions in which Brian together with Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer re-recorded several of the Friends songs (incl. Wake the World, Friends and Be Still)?

Yes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 22, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »

Quick thoughts (and questions) about the "I'm In Great Shape" piece at the end of the Wake The World set...

It sounds like it was mixed by King Tubby. Crazy reverb. Is this actually how it was recorded, like how this was supposed to sound or is this cuz of the condition of the acetate?

Also, where would this fit? It almost sounds as though it could be a link from what we know as "I'm In Great Shape" to "Workshop" in my opinion?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 22, 2018, 09:58:56 AM »

Great job Setlab!

Yes.

Do we know what was really the mission of this Wilson/Shapiro/Almer venture? Did they want to get signed as a trio? Did they just wanna shop these songs to get cover versions? Also, of all the songs to "re-write" I wouldn't think it would be Friends tunes, but rather something like "Don't Worry Baby" (though I'm pretty sure Bruce Johnston did such a thing for his California Music band with shall we say....questionable results).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »

Great job Setlab!

Yes.

Do we know what was really the mission of this Wilson/Shapiro/Almer venture? Did they want to get signed as a trio? Did they just wanna shop these songs to get cover versions? Also, of all the songs to "re-write" I wouldn't think it would be Friends tunes, but rather something like "Don't Worry Baby" (though I'm pretty sure Bruce Johnston did such a thing for his California Music band with shall we say....questionable results).

My understanding was that this happened at the behest of A&M, since they now owned the publishing rights (thanks to Murry). The idea was to make the songs marketable for other artists to record, hence lyrics where there were none, and revised lyrics elsehwere. Brian/Stan/Tandyn were NOT trying to get themselves signed as a trio.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »

Great job Setlab!

Yes.

My understanding was that this happened at the behest of A&M, since they now owned the publishing rights (thanks to Murry). The idea was to make the songs marketable for other artists to record, hence lyrics where there were none, and revised lyrics elsehwere. Brian/Stan/Tandyn were NOT trying to get themselves signed as a trio.

That answers one question I’ve had for years!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 23, 2018, 08:45:28 AM »

This info may have faded with the years, but was there any reason why it was Friends material that the guys worked on instead of, as I said, things like "Don't Worry Baby" and whatnot? Honestly, a lot of the best Beach Boys material wouldn't need a reworking to be covered anyways, but I'm sure you guys (and gals) get what I'm saying here. Was it just that the Friends material was close to Brian's heart with what he perceived to be a lack of attention to it? Cuz it's hard to imagne A&M (or any other company) in 1971 saying, "hey Bri, you wanna work on those songs from that album from the three years ago that didn't sell that well in the first place?"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: December 23, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »

This info may have faded with the years, but was there any reason why it was Friends material that the guys worked on instead of, as I said, things like "Don't Worry Baby" and whatnot? Honestly, a lot of the best Beach Boys material wouldn't need a reworking to be covered anyways, but I'm sure you guys (and gals) get what I'm saying here. Was it just that the Friends material was close to Brian's heart with what he perceived to be a lack of attention to it? Cuz it's hard to imagne A&M (or any other company) in 1971 saying, "hey Bri, you wanna work on those songs from that album from the three years ago that didn't sell that well in the first place?"

I've wondered about that, but I really don't have  clue. Stan Shapiro would be a good person to ask, if anyone can get in touch with him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2018, 12:46:17 PM »

Just a hunch but since so few people has heard Friends at the time it’d be easier to pass that stuff off as new material. Purely a guess

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2018, 12:50:01 PM »

Just a hunch but since so few people has heard Friends at the time it’d be easier to pass that stuff off as new material. Purely a guess

You might be on to something!  Lots of people would probably have still remembered "Don't Worry Baby", for instance.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:08 PM »

You might be on to something!  Lots of people would probably have still remembered "Don't Worry Baby", for instance.

That definitely makes a bit of sense.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 24, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »

Quick thoughts (and questions) about the "I'm In Great Shape" piece at the end of the Wake The World set...

It sounds like it was mixed by King Tubby. Crazy reverb. Is this actually how it was recorded, like how this was supposed to sound or is this cuz of the condition of the acetate?

Also, where would this fit? It almost sounds as though it could be a link from what we know as "I'm In Great Shape" to "Workshop" in my opinion?

Believe it was found on a Heroes and Villains acetate. It apparently segues into the original "Children were Raised section."
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 27, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »

It was fairly common practice to cover lesser known songs by major artists in the 70's. Any decade, really, but probably peaked in the 70's. Perhaps, as suggested above, to give the impression it was original material without the concern of being immediately recognized.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 27, 2018, 02:47:22 PM »

It was fairly common practice to cover lesser known songs by major artists in the 70's. Any decade, really, but probably peaked in the 70's. Perhaps, as suggested above, to give the impression it was original material without the concern of being immediately recognized.

Hell, Brian was doing it with himself with songs like "Darlin'"  Grin
gravitydood
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 28, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »

Hi all.
Loving the discussion, you people are awesome with your dedication and knowledge.
I have one question (sorry if it is a repeat). On three friends session there is a track called 'rock n roll woman'. The riff from this track appears on a song performed live on the 'an American band' video (Brighton England?). Does anybody know the name of this song and does it appear on a studio lp. Again, apologies for my ignorance.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: December 28, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »

Hi all.
Loving the discussion, you people are awesome with your dedication and knowledge.
I have one question (sorry if it is a repeat). On three friends session there is a track called 'rock n roll woman'. The riff from this track appears on a song performed live on the 'an American band' video (Brighton England?). Does anybody know the name of this song and does it appear on a studio lp. Again, apologies for my ignorance.

It's a cover of a Buffalo Springfield song called "Rock n Roll Woman". The Beach Boys never did a full studio version.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: December 28, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »

Shame because the instrumental track on the set is excellent

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 28, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »

I really hope they have a multitrack recording of them doing it live, at least. They really did an awesome cover of the song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: December 28, 2018, 11:30:43 PM »

I was actually disappointed a live version wasn’t in the set until I realized that was in there 1069 sets.

I’m right, am I? Admittedly I’m too lazy to look...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: December 29, 2018, 06:28:57 AM »

I was actually disappointed a live version wasn’t in the set until I realized that was in there 1069 sets.

I’m right, am I? Admittedly I’m too lazy to look...

Some folks recall attending 1968 concerts at which it was performed, but none of those were recorded. Let's hope it does turn up in next years' live sets.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 29, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »

I don't think any of the guys were touring in 1069.....

....I'll get my hat.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx