gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:32:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183549 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 09, 2018, 10:52:13 AM »

Mike's "still not dyin" part in "old man river"  Love

I'm in love with this set

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 09, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »

the lyric there is:

I get weary, and sick of tryin
I'm tired of livin, and scared of dyin

there's more to the song than what Brian went with, but I love his take on this great American standard.

I figured it was probably Al on steel but can't figure out the "shimmery" effect he's using/getting. could be processed by Brian after the fact? this part is basically inaudible on the released version:

https://picosong.com/wjUiY/

Sounds like a volume pedal on the steel.

most steel players use a volume pedal. I don't hear that so much as an effect on the steel, likely a low-speed Leslie. and what a cool sound it is
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 09, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »

where can we find the studio personnel info for these sessions??
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 09, 2018, 12:29:11 PM »

These sessions are so good.  Being able to identify different working parts and pieces that get reshaped, discarded, or cobbled onto other songs is so fascinating. 

I can't stop listening to Be Here In The Morning Darling. 
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 09, 2018, 12:33:35 PM »

the lyric there is:

I get weary, and sick of tryin
I'm tired of livin, and scared of dyin

there's more to the song than what Brian went with, but I love his take on this great American standard.

You are right. I couldn't hear them buried under the sound of 50,000 didgeridoos.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:38:47 PM by STE » Logged
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 09, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »

how great is the chatter we get at the beginning of Time To Get Alone (a capella)?? not to mention the isolated DEEP & WIDE

thanks to seltaeb for that Passing By remix!
as for the lyrics, I think this is what we got:

PASSING BY (1971)

Somewhere along the avenue
I stopped to have a look at you
Said "hi" as you were just passing by

And as I drove you home with me
A feeling rolling over me
Said you were more than just passing by

Warm nights, quiet nights
Nights of living dreams
So close you were to being all I ever needed

Somehow I thought I'd fill the need
You'd stay and build a nest with me
I didn't guess you're just passing by

And as your distance seemed to grow
I've come to really miss you so
A hurt I wish was just passing by

Warm nights, quiet nights
Nights of living dreams
So close you were to being all I ever needed

I guess I'm still in love with you
I'll always stay in love with you
I guess I'm still in love with you
I'll always stay in love with you
Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 09, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »

I'm blown away by the alternate "Bluebirds Over the Mountain"! It's sounds like a brand new song. Not sure that it would have performed any better as a single at the time, but I definitely prefer this version, by far.

And there's so much other great material here as well. While I hoped we'd get Brian's '66 "Child" mix at some point, I was starting to doubt it would ever be released. And, of course, the "I'm In Great Shape" snippet at the end was another mind blower! Do we have any confirmation on the source for that? IIRC, Mark (or someone else in the know), mentioned the buyer of the Durrie Parks acetates denied their request to make a copy. Am I misremembering here, or did another copy surface? At any rate, I want to express my sincere thanks to Howie, Alan, Mark and everyone else that made this happen!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2018, 05:01:57 PM »

I haven’t read through the whole thread so I don’t know if anyone else has said it but man, Dennis’s vocal on “All I Want to Do” is far superior to Mike.  Should have put this version on the original album! https://youtu.be/5OK0rEvqHDQ

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »

I agree. My daughter said it sounded like the Stones

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 09, 2018, 09:09:18 PM »

I went to the I to the I Tunes store and found 'I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions' is OUT NOW!  I was shocked
My question is will this be out on CD ?  Or just streaming  Huh Brian, Dennis, & Carl

I had a fast Life
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 09, 2018, 10:20:54 PM »

I haven’t read through the whole thread so I don’t know if anyone else has said it but man, Dennis’s vocal on “All I Want to Do” is far superior to Mike.  Should have put this version on the original album! https://youtu.be/5OK0rEvqHDQ

I'm curious to know the reasoning why Mike was chosen as the lead vocalist over the original Dennis vocal.  Mike's is sorta interesting, unlike anything else he's ever done, but objectively I just don't think it's as strong as Denny's, and I wonder if Denny just didn't have the self confidence to release that type of vocal for himself at that point, or what the reason was.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2018, 10:36:56 PM »

I'm curious to know the reasoning why Mike was chosen as the lead vocalist over the original Dennis vocal.  Mike's is sorta interesting, unlike anything else he's ever done, but objectively I just don't think it's as strong as Denny's, and I wonder if Denny just didn't have the self confidence to release that type of vocal for himself at that point, or what the reason was.
On the newly released take 2 with Dennis singing, there is actually a part from Mike that ended up on the released version, so I wonder if Mike was always going to be featured on the song somehow.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2018, 11:33:23 PM »

On the newly released take 2 with Dennis singing, there is actually a part from Mike that ended up on the released version, so I wonder if Mike was always going to be featured on the song somehow.

Interesting. I haven't made it that far into the set yet.

What I really want to know… is how many people in the band were "in the know" and fully aware of the naughty content of the fadeout of this song on the original album.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 10, 2018, 12:56:23 AM »

yes, it's cleary Mike at the end of the song!
Interesting. I haven't made it that far into the set yet.

What I really want to know… is how many people in the band were "in the know" and fully aware of the naughty content of the fadeout of this song on the original album.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2018, 12:58:09 AM »

Do it again to!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:05 AM »

Well, actually Dennis is struggling to get this song right. Mike's voice (or technique) in that range is much fuller and strong, so I can see why he got the lead on that. While I like Dennis', it is certainly not as direct and in-your-face as Mike's.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:56 AM »

Have Mark or Alan said anything about a lossless/hi-res version being available to US customers who are holding out?  Or should we just give in to lossy?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 10, 2018, 05:05:44 AM »

Yeah, three days ago..  you don't think we've been discussing this?

No physical media option.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 10, 2018, 06:55:40 AM »

Well, actually Dennis is struggling to get this song right. Mike's voice (or technique) in that range is much fuller and strong, so I can see why he got the lead on that. While I like Dennis', it is certainly not as direct and in-your-face as Mike's.

I'd been meaning to say something like this as well Rocker. While I think having a Dennis lead on "All I Want To Do" is freaking awesome, it has made me re-investigate the song, and I have to say that Mike Love is the right singer for it. I think if one is able to try to forget its that litigious, money grubbing goofball you realize that his voice really cuts through on this cut in a way Dennis' voice didn't. It'd be like having a breathy Carl lead on "Heroes and Villains" rather than Brian's lead in my opinion. It just wouldn't work. Or at the least it'd be really different.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: December 10, 2018, 07:14:03 AM »

Have Mark or Alan said anything about a lossless/hi-res version being available to US customers who are holding out?  Or should we just give in to lossy?

For losless CD-quality FLAC, there's always the Qobuz with VPN option described on Page 11 of this thread...this worked for me!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: December 10, 2018, 07:17:03 AM »

For lossless CD-quality FLAC, there's always the Qobuz with VPN option described on Page 11 of this thread...this worked for me!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: December 10, 2018, 07:26:59 AM »

C-Man, this is a little off topic, but do you know if session tapes for the single version of "Cottonfields" still exist?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: December 10, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »

"Walkin'" became "Morning beat" from "That lucky old sun", right?

- Jack Rieley
MaestroDavros
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »

Outside of the aformentioned Qobuz VPN loophole the only place in the US that they're currently available in FLAC that I'm aware of is the TIDAL store. $25.19 for Wake The World and $34.19 for I Can Hear Music.

Also they're not going to appear on 7Digital anytime soon. They haven't updated the albums available since last month, and when I contacted them about this they said that they have no plans to add anything more for the foreseeable future.

C-Man, this is a little off topic, but do you know if session tapes for the single version of "Cottonfields" still exist?
I hope so myself. I need a 2019 Stereo Mix of "Cottonfields (Single Version)" more accurate to the mono mix, pretty please Mark? angel
Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »

"Our new home" is an early try on Our sweet love (the verse).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx