gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:01:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 183498 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2018, 04:38:26 AM »

Reading sketch reviews here, I'm especially interested to hear "Passing By" with lyrics. It's beautiful song which could be cooler with voice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JonEverett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2018, 04:40:32 AM »

Nope - have to be invited to register at QoBuz. Sad

Really, I'm fairly sure I didnt get an invite. Its a shop after all!!
Jon
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44:49 AM »

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »

There is a backdoor into getting a Qobuz account through the UK site. This is discussed in one of the current Steve Hoffman threads on these new sets.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2018, 04:49:53 AM »

Reading sketch reviews here, I'm especially interested to hear "Passing By" with lyrics. It's beautiful song which could be cooler with voice.

Yeah, it's a rough scratch vocal on top of the normal track.  Rough, but interesting.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2018, 04:57:49 AM »

The track "Untitled 1/25/68" is the same song as "Tune L"(albeit a different recording of it). Interesting.  Grin The big take away I keep getting from the 20/20 sessions is how much of a creative force Dennis is already, perhaps quite a bit earlier than we had imagined.

Dennis really comes across as a creative force in these sessions. His demoes dominate the track listing!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:25:21 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2018, 05:06:49 AM »

AHA!!! Figured out qobuz:

- Use a VPN (Windscribe will do -- and it's free) to switch to a European country.
- IF POSSIBLE, SWITCH TO A COUNTRY WHOSE NATIVE LANGUAGE YOU UNDERSTAND!!!
- Create an account at QoBuz - if it thinks you're in a different country, it will let you.
- At this point, it's safe to kill your VPN connection.
- Download away!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2018, 05:24:49 AM »

Have to go to work soon so I kinda sped my way through the songs. Even Steven is the early highlight for me.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »

Even though it was pleasant to hear the lyrics to Passing By sung by Brian, they made the right decission to leave em out.

FYI, they didn't leave them out (of the original album mix), because they weren't recorded until 1971-ish.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2018, 07:11:38 AM »

A few random thoughts...

"Even Steven" is great. For whatever reason, "Busy Doin' Nothin'" has never been a favorite of mine, but this one just works for me. Really doesn't make sense as they are so similar, but whatever.

"Be Here In The Morning Darling" is wonderful. What is it? Is it an entirely different thing from "Be Here In The Morning"? Or is it a totally different backing track that the same lyrics were supposed to be applied to?

"Been Way Too Long (Sections)" is as awesome as I'd hoped for. Brian was truly in the zone with this tune and it's a shame that it was never truly finished. But what we have from it is amazing and maybe the mystery of never knowing what it quite coulda been works for it in the same way that it does for things like The Beach Boys versions of "Do You Like Worms" and "Child Is Father Of The Man" and this basically leaves them just fine in the form they are now in.

Listening to Brian's chord progressions on things like "I'm Confessin'", "You're As Cool As Can Be" and "Our New Home" never gets old. I wouldn't be mad if there were 500 more things like this in the vault. I still enjoy things like things like "Da Da" and "Heroes And Villains: All Day" from The SMiLE Sessions and "Hide Go Seek" and "Honey Get Home" from Sunshine Tomorrow. Brian at the keyboard pounding out chords just hits the spot for me.

"Passing By" from the legendary re-write sessions is definitely fascinating. Is it good? Yeah. Is it better than what was on the Friends album? In my opinion right at this moment? No. Still glad though to hear a 1971 Brian Wilson lead vocal though. And glad to hear those lyrics. I have to assume though, that the 1971 re-written versions of "Wake The World", "Friends" and "Be Still" have been lost though cuz otherwise they'd have probably been on here too. Also must say how odd it is that Brian wanted to do new versions of songs from one of the group's least successful albums sales wise. Perhaps he just thought that at least those four songs deserved another chance to be heard? Who knows? Also weird that one of the re-writes is of a Dennis song.

Too bad they never finished working on "Rock And Roll Woman" as I think that song was one that works really well for The Beach Boys.

All the Denny stuff is super cool too. Do I ever need to hear whatever "The Gong" is ever again? I'm not sure about that.  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »

I've only had a chance to dip my toe into this stuff so far, but it's as mind-blowing as promised. Thanks to Alan Boyd, Mark Linett, Howie Edelson, and everybody else who made this thing happen. They're fighting the good fight for the Beach Boys archives, which as we've discussed (and continues to be proved) is the most impressive repository of amazing wholly unreleased recorded material that likely exists. And they're still turning up stuff we didn't even know existed, like that "Passing By" rewrite.

And think about it, we haven't even hit the 70s yet.....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2018, 08:04:24 AM »

Just listned to the samples on amazon. Even these little snippets blow my mind. Great stuff. Thanks to everyone involved in bringing this to daylight. Freaking incredible what this band has in it's vaults.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2018, 08:10:41 AM »

Just listned to the samples on amazon. Even these little snippets blow my mind. Great stuff. Thanks to everyone involved in bringing this to daylight. Freaking incredible what this band has in it's vaults.

It's honestly ridiculous, best band ever by a mile.

"Even steven" is a nice little twist on one of my favourite Brian songs. So glad to have it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2018, 08:16:02 AM »

"I'm Confessin'/You're As Cool As Can Be 1": I'm intrigued to see what this is. It's a Brian thing right?

Having not heard it yet, I'm guessing "I'm Confessin'" is an old song. Frank Ifield recorded a version of it in the early '60s.

I didn't know the Ifield song, but having looked it up on Youtube and had a listen, I don't think the song on the 1968 BB set is a cover of Frank's tune. Unless Brian decided he was gonna REALLY f**k with the chords in his version! Also, the credits on Spotify mark it to 'Brian Wilson'. So I think it was an original. And the interesting chords certainly sound like something Brian would come up with during this period. When I first listened yesterday, and as with my first listen to 'Summer Means New Love' years back, I kept going 'OK, I know where THIS progression is going'... and getting it totally wrong. Listening to it was a lovely series of surprises!    Cheesy

The puzzle remains why the Beach Boys never returned to this stuff later, even if they never got 'I'm Confessing' finished in time for Friends. They were scraping the barrel for Brian compositions a few years later... why didn't they take another look at primo material like this?

One valid reason is that styles change as the years go by... and I can see why, say the 60s lounge of 'Be Here In The Morning Darling' would have seemed a bit passé on a BB release in, say, 1972... but if the Beach Boys did worry about this kind of thing, it didn't stop them putting out 'Suzie Cincinnati' multiple times throughout the course of the 70s... a decade not known for being particularly static in terms of prevailing musical styles in the pop idiom. Or using 'Good Time' unaltered six or seven years after it was recorded. Or releasing 'When Girls Get Together' about a DECADE after it was recorded!!

As usual, it's hard to disagree with Jack Rieley's assessment: "To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it..." Amazing, world-beating songwriters and vocalists... lousy releasers of records.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:04:46 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:37 AM »

Meant For You (Alternate Version With Session Intro) - Is that Murry Wilson critiquing Brian's vocal over the talkback? Sounds like him. Shades of the Rhonda tape perhaps?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »

Very excited by these releases, but I wonder why the strings version of Friends isn't included.
Love what we got, though.
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but I hear hints of Lonely Days in I'm Confessin'. I wonder if it's an evolution of the same song.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »

It’s also on youtube in the US.

Where?  I’ve searched and searched and found nothing.
onatrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2018, 09:48:16 AM »

Where?  I’ve searched and searched and found nothing.

Wake The World: The Friends Sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyWvnaxFJA&list=OLAK5uy_leglqA8yPOmWhd1wkPynUpERF78Mpfof8

I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMddsuzKyc&list=OLAK5uy_mHwXKak8vDw4iib1F_sz-uvAfzPvDCp5g

Edit: working for me in Canada
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:49:29 AM by onatrain » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »

Where?  I’ve searched and searched and found nothing.

Wake The World: The Friends Sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xyWvnaxFJA&list=OLAK5uy_leglqA8yPOmWhd1wkPynUpERF78Mpfof8

I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMddsuzKyc&list=OLAK5uy_mHwXKak8vDw4iib1F_sz-uvAfzPvDCp5g

Edit: working for me in Canada

Thanks!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:25 AM »

Meant For You (Alternate Version With Session Intro) - Is that Murry Wilson critiquing Brian's vocal over the talkback? Sounds like him. Shades of the Rhonda tape perhaps?

Murry unofficially co-produced the "Meant For You" session, along with a few other Friends tracks like "Ann Lee" and "Transcendental Mediation". He also sang the low bass note on "Be Here In The Morning", so he likely co-produced that one, as well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »

Did not know that!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »

Murry unofficially co-produced the "Meant For You" session, along with a few other Friends tracks like "Ann Lee" and "Transcendental Mediation". He also sang the low bass note on "Be Here In The Morning", so he likely co-produced that one, as well.

The back-and-forth reminded me of the Rhonda session, as brief as it is presented here. Nothing changed in 3 years, and I cringed when Murry said "Brian..." over the talkback. Typical Brian reply too.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »

Fascinating. I'll say this for Murry: he helped get one of Mike's very best vocal performances (maybe even Mike's best) out of him.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »

Links for the US Wake the World collection:

https://ume.lnk.to/WakeTheWorld?fbclid=IwAR1Gwc1S37bKnjw-TXfS3ef8Hd3Az_Tvj0RHC554WjX1hiYf9gWiZhmVt-0
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx