gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:03:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 182542 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »

Any thoughts on what we're getting next year? Friends outtakes, obviously, but what else? It's already in stereo, so no remixes. Live shows, of course, but what else?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »

Any thoughts on what we're getting next year? Friends outtakes, obviously, but what else? It's already in stereo, so no remixes. Live shows, of course, but what else?

I could envision them doing a stereo remix of "Friends" even though it already exists in stereo, along the lines of the Pepper remix.

I'm surprised the version of "Friends" with the strings replacing the soaring vocals heard on the SOT set hasn't made it onto some sort of archival release by now.

But honestly, I'm hoping a wider archival program can be implemented soon so that we don't have to wait for each year's 50th anniversary to see more outtakes, and then only from that one year.

Don't wanna wait five more years for "Carry Me Home", etc. Or 12 or more years for the KTSA outtakes that are better than some of the album tracks.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »

I have a hunch (hopefully) that the long-lost alternate versions of Friends songs, where lyrics were re-rewritten and re-corded years later, will emerge. Unless they are lost forever? I feel like most of the lost stuff eventually shows up (crosses fingers).

Also - probably more stems-type versions, like backing track w/backing vocals only, acapella versions, etc.
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »

I can't wait to hear every possible variation of every Friends track... particularly Little Bird.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Sign me up for any original mono mixes that may be lying around. If there aren't many, let's ask BW to revist the album and provide us a proper mono Friends!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:34:35 PM »

Transcendental Meditation (vocals only) could be really interesting.

How many released, BBs album songs are there where the are a bunch of vocal harmonies, and Brian is the ONLY BB doing all of the singing on the *entire* song?

Would this be the only one? Songs like Caroline, No and Your Summer Dream aren't in the running since there are no harmony vocals.

Wipeout kinda doesn't count in my book; not a real BBs song, plus there's other vocalists on the song. I guess there's the non-album "Beach Boys" song from the late 80s, Barbie. We have the all-Brian Don't Talk intro snippet from the Pet Sounds Sessions, but that was of course never on an actual album. There have been claims of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times being all Brian (even the harmonies), but I thought that was debunked (even prior to the revelation that Denny is likely heard in bits of the lead).

Just for the unusual nature of this song alone, not to mention the fact that it's probably the only released BBs all-Brian harmony song, it should definitely get a vocals-only treatment.

Also... how about some sessions of Murry doing his vocal overdubs on Be Here in the Morning? That must be fascinating to hear. Maybe really awkward to hear the studio chatter too, I wouldn't count on much of it being released unedited. Not to mention hearing some isolated Murry singing vocals, if any exist (not sure if he sung into a separate mic, Mike Love style, or if he got around a single mic with the other Boys). Isolated Murry vox is something I doubt anybody has ever even thought of hearing before.

Lots of possibilities for odd curious on this set.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:51:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »

According to Craig Slowinski in a 2008 issue of ESQ, until the multitracks are scrutinised, there's no definite way to tell if it's Brian solo or Brian and possibly Al on "Transcendental Meditation". Hopefully we'll know for sure this time next year.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »

20/20 was recorded in '68. So, I think any of that material would be fair game.

... But honestly, I'm hoping a wider archival program can be implemented soon so that we don't have to wait for each year's 50th anniversary to see more outtakes, and then only from that one year.

Don't wanna wait five more years for "Carry Me Home", etc. Or 12 or more years for the KTSA outtakes that are better than some of the album tracks.

I totally agree. Even if it were only expanded to a 3-4 year period. At the risk of losing material, I think an expanded set dedicated to studio recordings between '68-'71 would be ideal (perhaps, disregarding the few CATP sessions in Dec '71-to save for the follow up). But I'm with you, waiting 5 more years for Carry Me Home is tough!!!

Also... how about some sessions of Murry doing his vocal overdubs on Be Here in the Morning? That must be fascinating to hear. Maybe really awkward to hear the studio chatter too, I wouldn't count on much of it being released unedited. Not to mention hearing some isolated Murry singing vocals, if any exist (not sure if he sung into a separate mic, Mike Love style, or if he got around a single mic with the other Boys). Isolated Murry vox is something I doubt anybody has ever even thought of hearing before.

I agree, that would be interesting!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:06:31 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Reverberation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »

How likely do you think it is that we'll get to hear that 1968 instrumental version of "All I Wanna Do" with the sitar? Also was there ever a recorded version of Passing By with lyrics included? I know they went back and attempted to 'remake' friends after the fact, but it would be cool if they could include it if it exists.

Besides that maybe some Ol' Man River sessions, an instrumental backing track and/or detailed sessions from Busy Doin' Nothin' (really all of the songs, but this one especially, along with Anna Lee the Healer and Little Bird would be my favs), and if they're doing 20/20 stuff: I Went to Sleep, I Can Hear Music, Cotton Fields, and other tracks session outtakes would be cool (though I imagine they would want to save some of that for 2019).
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »

If Friends and 20/20 fit, I would like to hear:
a capella and instrumental tracks (a given)
Even Stephen (The early "Busy doin' Nothin')
All I Wanna Do (Sitar version)
You're as Cool as Cool can Be
Our Happy Home
Transcendental Meditation (early version that has the "Indian Wisdom" section)
Walkin'
Can't Wait Too Long sessions
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »

I hope to God we get more Old Man River!!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »

I'm guessing the part where Mike gets pissed off at Brian's perfectionism and walks out of the session will be edited out. That probably didn't help Brian finish the song.

I want to hear more of what's available of OMR too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:35:32 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 04:27:45 PM »

I'm guessing the part where Mike gets pissed off at Brian's perfectionism and walks out of the session will be edited out. That probably didn't help Brian finish the song.

On that note, on Sunshine Tomorrow/2/Live did they edit out Mike's banter about how low Heroes and Villains charted? I honestly haven't listened too much into the live stuff yet.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

On that note, on Sunshine Tomorrow/2/Live did they edit out Mike's banter about how low Heroes and Villains charted? I honestly haven't listened too much into the live stuff yet.

Yep they did omit it, and while understandably so, it also sort of whitewashes that bit of history in the process. I say that while knowing Brian put Mike up to it. But I certainly don't fault the band or anyone involved for not releasing such an awkward nugget.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »

A certain somebody elsewhere indicated a Friends set similar to Sunshine Tomorrow will be released next year.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »

I've heard rumblings of the same thing; not a big stretch of the imagination.

And Friends/2020 in the same year is awesome, cause that means in consecutive years we've gotten stuff from my 4 favorite BB albums
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:55:51 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:45 AM »

Guess we will have to wait until 2035 for studio version of “oh lord”? Better start taking better care of myself...
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 05:52:12 AM »

I’d be pretty upset if we had to wait till 2035 to hear Oh Lord. Very unfair on some of you life long fans who have always been there. If I was Old I would be very upset that I may never hear Boys And Girls And Oh Lord studio Version   Hope it gets sorted out
swinkhouse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »

How many released, BBs album songs are there where the are a bunch of vocal harmonies, and Brian is the ONLY BB doing all of the singing on the *entire* song?

Would this be the only one? Songs like Caroline, No and Your Summer Dream aren't in the running since there are no harmony vocals.

Wipeout kinda doesn't count in my book; not a real BBs song, plus there's other vocalists on the song. I guess there's the non-album "Beach Boys" song from the late 80s, Barbie. We have the all-Brian Don't Talk intro snippet from the Pet Sounds Sessions, but that was of course never on an actual album. There have been claims of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times being all Brian (even the harmonies), but I thought that was debunked (even prior to the revelation that Denny is likely heard in bits of the lead).

Just for the unusual nature of this song alone, not to mention the fact that it's probably the only released BBs all-Brian harmony song, it should definitely get a vocals-only treatment.

On songs only sung by Brian, isn't "I'm Waiting For The Day" one? I always thought he's doing all the backing vocals for the song, I could be wrong though.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 07:21:54 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:14:06 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »

As long as the vaults are emptied of all things "We're Together Again", I'll be happy!  At the very least, I hope we'll get a backing track and vocals track.  The same treatment would be great for "Wake the World" as well, but I'm really pulling for "We're Together Again". 
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »

I hope it'll be titled '1968 - When The Two Get Together Oh Oh Ho Ho Oh Ho'
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 12:46:11 PM »

The 1968 live shows in the vaults, especially US shows with "Friends" material, could be quite interesting. Unlike the '67 shows on "Live Sunshine", which have circulated for a number of years, none of the '68 shows excerpted on "Made in California" are circulating as far as I know.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »

On songs only sung by Brian, isn't "I'm Waiting For The Day" one? I always thought he's doing all the backing vocals for the song, I could be wrong though.

Mostly but Carl's doing the lower harmony on the backing "aahhhh"s and Mike chimes in with the "baby don't you know" during the second verse, and also the "NO" responses in the tag but there's no way I would've realised that's not Brian without someone else pointing it out

The track sheets for "I'm Waiting For The Day" seem to indicate that all the vocals are Brian and Mike...meaning it would be Mike, not Carl, singing the lower harmony "aahhh's...and I'm pretty sure it's Brian singing the "baby don't you know" bit.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »

I hope it'll be titled '1968 - When The Two Get Together Oh Oh Ho Ho Oh Ho'

Nonsense , it clearly needs to be called:

"1968 - I Wrote Her Number Down But I Lost It So I Searched Through My Pocket Book I Couldn't Find It So I Sat And Concentrated On The Number And Slowly It Came To Me So I Dialed It And I Let It Ring A Few Times There Was No Answer So I Let It Ring A Little More Still No Answer So I Hung Up The Telephone Got Some Paper And Sharpened Up A Pencil And Wrote A Letter To My Friend"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:06:37 PM by Hickory Violet Part IV » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx