gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:41:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Copyright Extension Release Thread  (Read 182354 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2018, 11:24:05 PM »

I check this topic everyday .. god I can’t wait.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2018, 02:20:44 AM »

Rebel---I do, too......
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2018, 04:49:08 AM »

Ditto. The anticipation is driving me bananas...  Banana

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »

Do we know if there is going to be a physical CD release, or just digital?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2018, 10:55:17 AM »

Do we know if there is going to be a physical CD release, or just digital?
Just digital, as of now. These end of the year sets usually are.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

PR TAGLINE: "WHAT IF THERE WAS ANOTHER BEATLES? Guess what -- There WAS."
I've said this before in private to somebody, but I'll say it now, publicly: I wish you, Howie Edelson, were the manager of The Beach Boys, and included among a "team" in charge of the archival material, along with Mark Linett and Alan Boyd.

"The Beach Boys Are The Beatles". Um.... no.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »

It's been talked on Discord that several new session dates in 1968 were added to Bellagio(http://www.bellagio10452.com/gigs68.html). To quote SaltyMarshmallow over there:

Away
I’m Confessin
You’re as Cool as Can Be track 1
You’re as Cool as Can Be track 2
Rock & Roll Woman track
Time to Get Alone demo
All I Wanna Do (May 24 session)
Well You Know I Knew (June 3)
Can’t Wait Too Long (sessions on July 24, 25, 26 & 30)
Mona Kana demo (July 25)
Dennis demos: Love Affair/Be With Me/Peaches (Aug 29)
I Can Hear Music demo
All I Want to Do (extra sessions)
Is It True What They Say About Dixie (Audree Wilson lead vocal)

Now I'm SO hyped!

Damn! Rock & Roll Woman. I loved the performance on the An American Band doco. Doesn't look like the BB recorded a vocal for it in the studio though.
And more Dennis?! bring it on.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »

Billy -- As it stands THIS week, the "I'm Confessin'"/"You're As Cool As Can Be" segments along with DW's "Well You Know I Knew" and "'Gong' session" are the ones that are killing me. But it's all major and along with the MASSIVE live component also coming, nobody will be pissed off about and/or second guessing the copyright drop this Xmas.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:44 AM »

(IIRC) a previously undocumented Dennis Wilson track? That sounds so exciting!  Cool
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

Any chance of the '70s Friends remakes making this release? That would be awesome but the new potential track info is already incredible!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2018, 07:27:50 PM »

Billy -- As it stands THIS week, the "I'm Confessin'"/"You're As Cool As Can Be" segments along with DW's "Well You Know I Knew" and "'Gong' session" are the ones that are killing me. But it's all major and along with the MASSIVE live component also coming, nobody will be pissed off about and/or second guessing the copyright drop this Xmas.

Awesome! Thank you for the info...as always, we’re blessed to have you as a true steward of the bands legacy.

This is a great time to be fan. We’re finally getting materials we’ve only dreamed of. Man I hope my health holds up cause I really want to  be around to hear unreleased Brian stuff from 1972-1975
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:04:43 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JaiGuruDev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2018, 08:24:31 AM »

This is a long shot, but i hope we get a new remaster of the Live in London concert, a lot of the instruments feel buried in some songs.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2018, 08:46:46 AM »

Any chance of the '70s Friends remakes making this release? That would be awesome but the new potential track info is already incredible!

I've never heard about this. What's it about?
JaiGuruDev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »

Brian tried remaking some of the songs on Friends in the early 70s with Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer but the whole idea was never completed. I think they only got as far as making demos.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »

"By the early 1970s, Wilson's reputation suffered as a result of his eccentricities of lore, and he quickly became known as a commercial has-been which record labels feared.[31] When friend Stanley Shapiro persuaded Wilson to rewrite and rerecord a number of Beach Boys songs in order to reclaim his legacy, he contacted fellow songwriter Tandyn Almer for support. The trio then spent a month reworking cuts from the Beach Boys' Friends album.[32] As Shapiro handed demo tapes to A&M Records executives, they found the product favorable before they learned of Wilson and Almer's involvement, and proceeded to veto the idea"

From http://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Beach_Boys_bootleg_recordings#/citenoteFOOTNOTEBadman200426634

Not sure if we'll get it since it's not from '68 but it would be pretty cool to hear these if they still exist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »

Hey -I actually like "When Girls Get Together"...

It has grown on me to some degree over the years, and I think in the context of the "Sunflower" era it feels a bit more "right" to me than plopped on an already-problematic KTSA album in 1980. A lot of the KTSA album plods and sounds rather limp. "When Girls..." doesn't help *that* aspect of the album.

Some members of the band clearly had some affinity for the song, as they had previously done a mix of the song in the "15 Big Ones" era as well apparently.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2018, 09:12:45 AM »

Awesome! Thank you for the info...as always, we’re blessed to have you as a true steward of the bands legacy.

This is a great time to be fan. We’re finally getting materials we’ve only dreamed of. Man I hope my health holds up cause I really want to  be around to hear unreleased Brian stuff from 1972-1975

Let's also hope that some sort of ramped-up online archival program might still be possible so that we wouldn't have to wait until 2025 to hear 1975 material.

While not obviously anywhere near all A-list material, there is a ton of later 70s and 80s unreleased stuff that can even change *that* part of the narrative. I don't know if they should wait another decade to release "LA (Light Album)" era outtakes, etc. BB fans are not exactly getting younger.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JaiGuruDev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2018, 09:17:43 AM »

Let's also hope that some sort of ramped-up online archival program might still be possible so that we wouldn't have to wait until 2025 to hear 1975 material.

While not obviously anywhere near all A-list material, there is a ton of later 70s and 80s unreleased stuff that can even change *that* part of the narrative. I don't know if they should wait another decade to release "LA (Light Album)" era outtakes, etc. BB fans are not exactly getting younger.

I wonder how long we will have to wait until the complete Andy Paley sessions  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »

Hey -I actually like "When Girls Get Together"...

It has grown on me to some degree over the years, and I think in the context of the "Sunflower" era it feels a bit more "right" to me than plopped on an already-problematic KTSA album in 1980. A lot of the KTSA album plods and sounds rather limp. "When Girls..." doesn't help *that* aspect of the album.

Some members of the band clearly had some affinity for the song, as they had previously done a mix of the song in the "15 Big Ones" era as well apparently.

I have always wondered what the deal was with "When Girls Get Together"... such an odd track.

Was the band in 1970 consciously trying to attempt some kind of pro-feminist (girls rule! even in ways that have nothing to do with looks!) type of song as a response to the leering "California Girls" image they'd gotten stereotyped with so profoundly?

Also, the instrumental break at 1:04 to 1:08 always sounded like some sort of NBC network promo card/logo music that accidentally wandered its way into a Beach Boys track.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »

Nope. Tapes were stolen a while back from what I've heard.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »

Not all. . .
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »

Not all. . .

Rock!
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »

Not all. . .
Who would want to steal?....
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »

"When Girls Get Together" is at its best when its just "doo doo doo doo doo doo".  Otherwise the phrasing is awkward.  This is one of those songs that gets stuck in my head for no apparent reason. 

Thanks to everyone involved in getting these archival releases out into the open, I join the excited masses on here!!!
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »

release date December 7th?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx