gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:53:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have you ever heard a Beach Boys song in a different language?  (Read 9327 times)
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »

I went to a scouts jamboree in Norway in 1989 (Skaugum 89) and there was an album produced just for the occasion, with various Norwegian artists including Morten Harket of A-Ha fame and Bjorn Eidsvag. Well, one of the tracks was Hjelp Meg Ragna which was a re-working of Help Me Rhonda, recorded by Vazelina Billophoggers, sung in Norwegian,

Thanks dombanzi, I've added that.

Since I last updated you lot here, there have been additions in languages including Slovene, Romansch and Icelandic. We've just passed over 2000 covers (way more than I thought there would be when I started!) and thanks largely to people here and at other forums, over 180 are in a non-English language. So thanks guys  Smiley

Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »

In My Room (German Version) by The Beach Boys themselves. Really beautiful.
This is the first song that came to mind.  Just listened to it a few days ago actually.  Very nice.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 05:05:17 AM »

Great find, RR. I'll pass it on to Mr. Cook (unless you have already).

I believe he's keeping foreign-language versions of BB-covered songs on hold for a future new section of his website.
Added to the list - Thanks JK and RR  Smiley

As JK says, I'm keeping covers (both English and foreign-language) on hold at the moment, since it turns out there is a lot more covers of Beach Boys originals than I thought, and I'd like to make a bigger dent in them before moving expanding my scope even more. I currently have 1352 covers and it still feels like a drop in the ocean - there are way more than I realised - currently 131 are in the non-English list.

I've added those Italian ones and the Spanish 'Til I Die also - thanks Pablo and STE.

Finally, this is off-topic, but I've also set up a Christmas page for those interested. https://christophercook.me.uk/beachboys/christmas.php

Hi BBC,

I found this Italian version of "Sail On, Sailor" today. I didn't see it in your list, maybe because it's described as "feat. The Beach Boys" (read the blurb):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7G1JQieS54

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 06:09:43 AM »

Great find, RR. I'll pass it on to Mr. Cook (unless you have already).

I believe he's keeping foreign-language versions of BB-covered songs on hold for a future new section of his website.
Added to the list - Thanks JK and RR  Smiley

As JK says, I'm keeping covers (both English and foreign-language) on hold at the moment, since it turns out there is a lot more covers of Beach Boys originals than I thought, and I'd like to make a bigger dent in them before moving expanding my scope even more. I currently have 1352 covers and it still feels like a drop in the ocean - there are way more than I realised - currently 131 are in the non-English list.

I've added those Italian ones and the Spanish 'Til I Die also - thanks Pablo and STE.

Finally, this is off-topic, but I've also set up a Christmas page for those interested. https://christophercook.me.uk/beachboys/christmas.php

Hi BBC,

I found this Italian version of "Sail On, Sailor" today. I didn't see it in your list, maybe because it's described as "feat. The Beach Boys" (read the blurb):

Did they add an extra verse or something thing? I was following along in my head the original lyrics, but I got lost somewhere after the second verse.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »

COMMENT:  Done a couple of these.  A language coach is at the session. Words are written phonetically, that is, by the way they sound, and after a few rehearsals, it's done.  ~swd

Yes! I was actually talking about it today. Brazil definitely used it a lot in the 50s/60s/70s, almost every hit song at that time was written with this pattern.

IIRC that's the way JFK had his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" prepared for him.

The Beach Boys recorded "Kokomo" in spanish, with Brian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIpWEDhnpwk

The german lyrics of "In my room" (translated as "All alone") are not particularly bad, but quite good for those times. They sound schmaltzy now, but there's worse.
The first time I heard that track was around 1997 in a record store on a compilation CD with artists singing their songs in german. Back then you had to go to one of the workers and ask them to open the CD (it was still sealed) and put it into a CD player so that you could listen via headphones. When I gave the CD to that guy he asked me why I was interested in that (I was 13 and all the recordings were from the 60s I believe) and when I told him about the Beach Boys' track he was like "What?! They did that song in german?! I gotta hear that" and then instead of putting the CD in the player I was waiting for, played the song via the store's loudspeakers so that everybody could (had to) hear it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2019, 11:53:18 AM »

Hi BBC,

Did they add an extra verse or something? I was following along in my head the original lyrics, but I got lost somewhere after the second verse.

I love the a cappella ending! Yes, Franco T adds an extra verse before "Always needing, even bleeding". Interesting. I must see if I can find any info about an earlier track with that extra verse, unless Signor Turra did some nifty cut-and-paste work...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2019, 12:24:59 PM »

whats the story w/ the german in my room?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2019, 03:55:44 AM »

whats the story w/ the german in my room?

There's a topic devoted to it here, c.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18535.0.html

And some additional info in the top post here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23330.msg559595.html#msg559595

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx