gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:07:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: in my room - german version  (Read 8638 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »

was this ever released as a single?....

it's a nice recording.  what is the background on this song?.....

and if it weren't released.... why?

RickB
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »

It was probably recorded to be released in Germany.
The Beatles did the same thing with "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand".
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »

yeah... I sorta figured that..... except, what happened with 'the boys'' song?

did it make the release?

RickB
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »

The song was finally released in 1983, on the Beach Boys' "Rarities" album.

Brad Elliott's liners:

"It has long been rumored that The Beach Boys recorded several songs in German during the early stage of their career, but Rarities offers the first concrete evidence. The German version of In My Room (Ganz Allein) was recorded in March 1964 as part of a strategy to “break” the group in Europe. However, before the recording could be used, the group saw success overseas with their English language recordings. In My Room, or 'All Alone' as the German literally translates, remained unreleased until now".

This subject has come up before, with the results inconclusive as to why it wasn't released in 1964, especially in Germany.

Back in the early 90's, I had a roommate who grew up in Germany. I played him "Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand" and "Sie Liebt Dich" (both recorded January, 1964) by the Beatles, then I played "Ganz Allein" by the Beach Boys. He said, no question, the Beatles did the best translation of the German language in their songs.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:40:51 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:23:15 PM »

The Beatles had an actual native German speaker and songwriter translate their songs, though. He also flew in to coach them on the proper phonetics.

I wouldn't be surprised if the German lyrics for Ganz Allein were done by someone at Capitol with an English-to-German dictionary.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »

Also, the Beatles were no strangers to the German community and language, having played at different clubs in Hamburg from the Summer of 1960 to the end of 1962.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »

It was eventually released as a single in Germany...in 1990.

http://www.beachboys45.nl/Germany-Capitol-8189.htm (scroll down to the end, the second version was released by the German California Saga fan club).

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:40:44 AM »

I've always thought it sounds as if they're singing 'God's a lie'. They're not of course, which is a shame as it's true.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:29:29 AM »

The Beatles had an actual native German speaker and songwriter translate their songs, though. He also flew in to coach them on the proper phonetics.

I wouldn't be surprised if the German lyrics for Ganz Allein were done by someone at Capitol with an English-to-German dictionary.

Time for an actual German to chime in... Grin

Whoever translated the song managed to get across the content and meaning of the original lyrics very well. His lyrical style though is pretty ancient. The way he puts the words into phrases reminds me more of 1920s songs or even 1800s classical poetry. Doesn't fit the 1960s at all.

And as the Beach Boys didn't have a longer German stint before as the Beatles had, their pronunciation is very hard to understand, you have to really concentrate to get what they sing. No way that would have been a hit.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »

no credit was given for the German translator, who - as already said - put the lyrics into a kind of an 18th century idiom, so that it really sounds strange for a native speaker. Literally retranslated it's something like that:

There is a place (es gibt einen Ort)
There I go (da geh' ich hin)
Whisper joy and grief (flüst're Freud und Leid)
All alone (ganz allein)

Lock and bolt (Schloss und Riegel)
lock out (schließen aus)
fear and worries here (Angst und Sorgen hier)
All alone (ganz allein)

dreaming here (träume hier)
making plans (schmiede Pläne)
without praying for sleep (ohne Schlaf zu fleh'n)
By my crying and my sighing (durch mein Weinen und mein Seufzen)
laughing (I) look back (lachend schau zurück)

It is dark (dunkel ist's)
I am alone, but (ich bin allein, doch)
I am not afraid (fürchte ich mich nicht)
all alone (ganz allein)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:45:28 AM by dogear » Logged

Watson, did you hear this?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 09:40:45 AM »

no credit was given for the German translator, who - as already said - put the lyrics into a kind of an 18th century idiom, so that it really sounds strange for a native speaker. Literally retranslated it's something like that:

All alone (ganz allein)

lock out (schließen aus)
All alone (ganz allein)

all alone (ganz allein)

Hey du "Hundeohr" Smiley, what's your whereabouts?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »

Grin
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »

That's something. Thanks for that, Dogear and Micha!  Smiley

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »

I've always thought it sounds as if they're singing 'God's a lie'. They're not of course, which is a shame as it's true.

IYO
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

All alone (ganz allein)

lock out (schließen aus)
All alone (ganz allein)

all alone (ganz allein)

Thanks!

"Fürchte ich mich nicht" ... four words in a row with the 'ch' sound was perhaps not the wisest choice for non-German singers to sing. Smiley

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

Time for an actual German to chime in... Grin

Whoever translated the song managed to get across the content and meaning of the original lyrics very well. His lyrical style though is pretty ancient. The way he puts the words into phrases reminds me more of 1920s songs or even 1800s classical poetry. Doesn't fit the 1960s at all.

And as the Beach Boys didn't have a longer German stint before as the Beatles had, their pronunciation is very hard to understand, you have to really concentrate to get what they sing. No way that would have been a hit.

Haha, I'll default to you. Glad to have the perspective of a native speaker on here!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »

Not what I heard in church this morning.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »

Not what I heard in church this morning.

That would be a weird sermon.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »

Indeed you are right....... never heard it that way til you mentioned it........ almost ruins my like for the song....

Thanks all for the contributing info........ will try and hunt down a 'german' copy of the 45....

anyone got a spare?

RickB
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »

It was eventually released as a single in Germany...in 1990.

http://www.beachboys45.nl/Germany-Capitol-8189.htm (scroll down to the end, the second version was released by the German California Saga fan club).
Weird how Land Ahoy is spelled correctly on the picture sleeve but the label on the 45 is spelled Land Ahoi

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 05:25:30 AM »

Not a big fan of the German version....the harmonies are sour in many places, and that "fürchte ich mich nicht" part is, well, not the most pleasant sounding thing on such a tender record.

BTW, that March '64 recording date pretty much destroys my theory that it was an attempt to follow a Beatles trend...given that, at least in the States, "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" wasn't released until May, and "Ganz Allein" was recorded only two weeks after the Beatles tunes were released in Germany; it's unlikely that the Beach Boys would have even known about that.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 08:25:50 AM »

BTW, that March '64 recording date pretty much destroys my theory that it was an attempt to follow a Beatles trend...given that, at least in the States, "Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" wasn't released until May, and "Ganz Allein" was recorded only two weeks after the Beatles tunes were released in Germany; it's unlikely that the Beach Boys would have even known about that.

It's not out of the question that they'd known about that. Odeon, a subsidiary of Capitol EMI, released the double sided German single on March 5. Maybe somebody at the Tower suggested they record it. It was recorded in German, not French or any other language. The Beatles had the idea first and maybe Dick Rising (the Capitol representative over there) or Capitol brass suggested it. Just a thought.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 12:32:15 AM »

Assume In My Room was the only song they cut in German? Brad implied more but surely they would have surfaced by now if Boyd & Linett Invetigations had turned anything up?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:34:52 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 03:06:01 AM »

Assume In My Room was the only song they cut in German? Brad implied more but surely they would have surfaced by now if Boyd & Linett Invetigations had turned anything up?
So the project must have been scrapped at an early stage - if a German language release was really intended  they would have needed a B-side.

Watson, did you hear this?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 03:22:16 AM »

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx