gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:55:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Help Light The National Christmas Tree WITH PROMO PHOTO  (Read 19487 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »

I honestly don't get Mike's obsession with touring....
Neither do I, SB. Perhaps it's a good thing in disguise. If it does ruin his voice, then I say double the amount of shows they do and it'll keep that hack outta the studio and no one will have to endure another garbage infested release by the lovester.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »

I think all of The Beach Boys voices have deteriorated, aside from Al. Both Mike and Brian still can sing, just not as good as they did 50+ years ago when they recorded these songs. Like Mr. Desper said, you will definitely get a "Beach Boys High" from both shows. I think of Brian's band like going to see an orchestra and Mike's band is like going to see a rock n' roll band. Brian's band plays with finesse and Mike's band plays with raw energy. After leaving Brian's show, I feel thankful and I feel love. After leaving Mike's show, I feel energized and excitement.  If you can't tell, I love both shows.

I'm with you there, having attended six shows in 2015-2016 (four Brian, two Mike).  Both bands are top notch, and I love them for different reasons.   I think Mike's band does a slightly better job on some of the early hits, and Brian's band does a better job on the 66-73 material. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »

KDS, couldn't agree more.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »

COMMENT to Debbie KL:

Thanks!  I have never seen the M&B show, so really don't comment on that - I'll comment on the occasional video.  I know there are talented people in his band.  But given the option, why wouldn't I choose to see the actual creator of the great music and his spectacular band?

Well here's why . . . You will get that "Beach Boy high" from either venue. The differences are certainly apparent. Brian has a good band and backup singers. Brian is the original, no question, but his addition to the overall presentation hinges on whether you will put up with the intonation errors to hear Brian's actual voice. And due to breathing problems, the phrases are cut short. However, Brian sings many of the Carl leads (Such as God Only Knows) which is a unique experience -- a good one.

Mike and Bruce also have a good band and and backup singers. Since many of the early hits featured Mike's lead, the current performance is more a duplicate of the original, in fact, most of the show does not deviate too far from the original songs and their sound. Both Bruce and Mike still have good voices. So if you prefer the more classic Beach Boy concert (dancing in the lies - standing and waving of arms) go see M&B. If you are looking for a slice of history and wish to relate to the man who gave that to you, while at the same time being quite entertained, buy the BW ticket.   

I do consider M&B and Trump sort of "soul-mates" in their style and personal/professional (and legal) histories, so I have no problem with them performing at his events. I consider them a perfect match and I doubt I'd be invited to either entity's performances.  I'll leave it at that.

And at the hesitation of entering into dangerous waters . . .  Mike and Bruce are both business oriented and knowledgeable of Distribution Rights, Record Deal Laws, Copywrites, Accounting, and deal making. Like Trump, they value business. So, if asked, they have no problem being on the same Playbill as him. To me it was natural for Mike and Bruce to team up and with the rights to "The Beach Boy" name, make as much money as possible. It wasn't going to be made in the studio. The studio was the creative outlet, funded by the road. 

Brian has people he pays to do business deals. He would rather create, but the road is lucrative. And very lucrative for Brian Wilson! Just remember, he travels by bus. You can put a digital recording studio in a bus. ...Just saying.

~swd

If you don't mind the "business-oriented" guys using Brian's talents when it serves them, and their tendency to attack him when it also serves their purposes - pretty much like Trump operates - that's your choice and I don't have a problem with it. I've grown used to it, and I'm glad you enjoy their shows.  I'll repeat, they are perfect for Trump's events. No matter how you feel about this - M&B belong with Trump.  It's poetic, in its way. They should go down in history with him.

"America's Band" - is fractured but still working - without a doubt. The creative source tours when he feels like it.  We both know he doesn't NEED the money, but room service and adulation every evening are pretty cool, and he loves hearing his music with his band, obviously.  The business-oriented section still does their business-efficient thing.  I've never known of Brian to attack Mike's operation.  The BBs have become a metaphor.  It's really interesting from that perspective, and we all have our preferences.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2017, 06:45:19 AM »

I had the sick bag at the ready and watched (after DVR-ing) the Hallmark Channel tree lighting "highlights" last night.

The show has never exactly been an "A-lister" event, but this year's lineup (predictably considering similar events over the last year garnering little interest from all but the most desperate folks) was particularly light on any recognizable names. There were a few, but they couldn't even muster nearly as prestigious a lineup as the "CMA Country Christmas" or "Macy's Thanksgiving Parade" or "Wonderful World of Disney Holiday Special" shows. Mike's band really was the top name, the headliner of this thing.

I eventually started scanning through the thing rather than watch it all. What I saw in the approximately 50% of the show I watched was a pretty palpable sense of boredom and sadness from much of the audience. Even the people that *wanted* to be there seemed ambivalent if not bored/annoyed to be there. Some little kids seemed to be having fun, an audience member now and then sang along, and everybody else looked bored and often depressed.

This is an actual screenshot of the guy HOSTING this event, taken *during*  Mike Love's performance of "Little Saint Nick." This is Mike's buddy, and even *he* seems like he'd rather be somewhere else:

This isn't an indictment on Mike's performance (more on that in a moment), but rather the continued truly sad, downbeat nature of the country and of events connected to the guy in that bored picture above. Hundreds if not over a thousand empty seats at this thing (normally an "overflow" event in DC), and even the scant supporters of this guy seem like they don't want to be there. (As a sidenote: The recent Kennedy Center Honors show in DC avoided a similar "blah" night by not having the President or his wife in attendance at all, for the first time in 23 years as I recall).

Mike and Donald Trump are, as icky and gross as it makes many fans feel, good buds, and even *they* can't muster any holiday cheer for this thing. Truly depressing above all else.

As for Mike's performance, he and his band mimed to a pre-recorded (and again HEAVILY autotuned) version of "Little Saint Nick" (the TV producers wisely cut Mike's solo stuff; though an on-screen notice mentioned additional songs are found online at the event's website). If you ever wondered what it sounds like when you run a near laryngitis-level of raspiness through autotune, this is what it sounds like. Robo-rasp. Mike should give his voice a rest, *and* leave the autotune at home.

As awful as the "Do It Again" thing was on PBS back in July, this event was immensely more depressing. When the awful, banal back-and-forth between Kathie Lee and Dean Cain *isn't* the worst thing about the show, you know it's getting bad.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:41:06 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »

I had the sick bag at the ready and watched (after DVR-ing) the Hallmark Channel tree lighting "highlights" last night.

The show has never exactly been an "A-lister" even, but this year's lineup (predictably considering similar events over the last year garnering little interest from all but the most desperate folks) was particularly light on any recognizable names. There were a few, but they couldn't even muster nearly as prestigious a lineup as the "CMA Country Christmas" or "Macy's Thanksgiving Parade" or "Wonderful World of Disney Holiday Special" shows. Mike's band really was the top name, the headliner of this thing.

I eventually started scanning through the thing rather than watch it all. What I saw in the approximately 50% of the show I watched was a pretty palpable sense of boredom and sadness from much of the audience. Even the people that *wanted* to be there seemed ambivalent if not bored/annoyed to be there. Some little kids seemed to be having fun, an audience member now and then sang along, and everybody else looked bored and often depressed.

This is an actual screenshot of the guy HOSTING this event, taken *during*  Mike Love's performance of "Little Saint Nick." This is Mike's buddy, and even *he* seems like he'd rather be somewhere else:

This isn't an indictment on Mike's performance (more on that in a moment), but rather the continued truly sad, downbeat nature of the country and of events connected to the guy in that bored picture above. Hundreds if not over a thousand empty seats at this thing (normally an "overflow" event in DC), and even the scant supporters of this guy seem like they don't want to be there. (As a sidenote: The recent Kennedy Center Honors show in DC avoided a similar "blah" night by not having the President or his wife in attendance at all, for the first time in 23 years as I recall).

Mike and Donald Trump are, as icky and gross as it makes many fans feel, good buds, and even *they* can't muster any holiday cheer for this thing. Truly depressing above all else.

As for Mike's performance, he and his band mimed to a pre-recorded (and again HEAVILY autotuned) version of "Little Saint Nick" (the TV producers wisely cut Mike's solo stuff; though an on-screen notice mentioned additional songs are found online at the event's website). If you ever wondered what it sounds like when you run a near laryngitis-level of raspiness through autotune, this is what it sounds like. Robo-rasp. Mike should give his voice a rest, *and* leave the autotune at home.

As awful as the "Do It Again" thing was on PBS back in July, this event was immensely more depressing. When the awful, banal back-and-forth between Kathie Lee and Dean Cain *isn't* the worst thing about the show, you know it's getting bad.  

Ouch. Sounds like it makes the Long Beach ‘81 performance look like Bernstein ‘66.

How heartwarming to see the brand name tied in with a pedophile supporter. BBs Party! over country.

Mike really knows how to conjure up the Christmas spirit by who he associates with. Make America’s Band Take a Great Big Dump on its Legacy Again.

Completely figures that the only Youtube video that comes up is a vertically-filmed one.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:17:14 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »

The funny thing is that I see Mike Love as the Donald Trump of Rock music... Or Trump as the Mike Love of presidents... however you want to look at it. LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »

Here is the performance of "Little Saint Nick" from the broadcast, on the Hallmark website:

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/national-christmas-tree-lighting/videos/the-beach-boys-perform-little-saint-nick-the-national-christmas-tree-lighting

Looks like "Unleash The Love" was cut from the final broadcast even though it was performed, as the audience videos posted earlier show.

I'm wondering if the producers of the show realized it was not a Beach Boys song, and not a Christmas song, and decided to cut it. Or if the Hollywood Christmas Parade 2016 is any precedent, in 2018 they'll green-screen Dean Cain in front of something festive holding up whatever Mike is selling next year and reuse the footage that got cut this year.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:32 AM »

So does anyone know about how these tracks are recorded? They don't sound live at all, they sound like they were recorded in a studio, and then autotuned. The various tracks they've mimed to the last few years, sound almost identical to disc two of Mike's new CD. It just makes me wonder- when Mike and his guys get a gig like this, do they head to the studio and record whatever song(s) they're performing? When I say the performances don't sound live, they have no ambience, they sound very dry.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:18:05 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 09:31:54 AM »

The crowd shots remind me of a couple years ago when some awards show was on TV and Bono and The Edge were in the audience while someone performed, and they looked *beyond* bored. It was hilarious:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »

So does anyone know about how these tracks are recorded? They don't sound live at all, they sound like they were recorded in a studio, and then autotuned. The various tracks they've mimed to the last few years, sound almost identical to disc two of Mike's new CD. It just makes me wonder- when Mike and his guys get a gig like this, do they head to the studio and record whatever song(s) they're performing? When I say the performances don't sound live, they have no ambience, they sound very dry.

The two most likely scenarios I can think of are:

1. Mike and the band simply went into a local studio somewhere recently and cut a quick version of the song, and then it was auto-tuned, etc.

2. Mike recorded the song during the same batch of sessions that yielded the other cover versions on the second disc of his album, and they used that to mime along with.

The recording they were miming to had a pretty similar sound and ambience to his recent album, so I'm guessing "Little Saint Nick" was given the same treatment, if not recorded during the album's sessions.

Seriously, they would have been better off just grabbing a soundboard recording of the band doing the song live last year and just mime to that.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2017, 11:06:36 AM »

Exactly, a normal Beach Boys live show sounds exponentially better than the autotuned bs. I mean, seriously, did anyone hear Jeff's signature BW/BBs falsetto wail at the end of the song was so autotuned that I can't even begin to explain how horrible it sounds. Who approves this sh*t? I just have such a hard time imagining Mike or anyone on his team listening to all of the autotuned BBs product from the last few years, and being satisfied with the sound. For a band that is often regarded as the greatest vocal group of all time, you think everyone related to The BBs (Brian and Mike's respective camps included) would not take any shortcuts to get a "good" vocal sound. We've seen this happening since the C50 live album, and it boggles me. A little bit of autotune (like on almost all of BW's solo records) is fine- hell, as a producer, it's a blessing to be able to fix a bad note or two, but to just coat something in robotic automatic pitch correction to the point where it sounds like a computer trying to impersonate singing! I just don't get it. I don't think it's laziness, but I am just amazed that C50 live album, Unleash The Love, and all of these lip sync tracks are approved by someone!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »

Exactly, a normal Beach Boys live show sounds exponentially better than the autotuned bs. I mean, seriously, did anyone hear Jeff's signature BW/BBs falsetto wail at the end of the song was so autotuned that I can't even begin to explain how horrible it sounds. Who approves this sh*t? I just have such a hard time imagining Mike or anyone on his team listening to all of the autotuned BBs product from the last few years, and being satisfied with the sound. For a band that is often regarded as the greatest vocal group of all time, you think everyone related to The BBs (Brian and Mike's respective camps included) would not take any shortcuts to get a "good" vocal sound. We've seen this happening since the C50 live album, and it boggles me. A little bit of autotune (like on almost all of BW's solo records) is fine- hell, as a producer, it's a blessing to be able to fix a bad note or two, but to just coat something in robotic automatic pitch correction to the point where it sounds like a computer trying to impersonate singing! I just don't get it. I don't think it's laziness, but I am just amazed that C50 live album, Unleash The Love, and all of these lip sync tracks are approved by someone!

"I haven't heard the song yet, I am sure with Al's voice and hopefully no autotune, the song will be great." - Mike Love

Practically comical in hindsight.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:12:48 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »

I watched the show last night, but somehow missed seeing Mike, Bruce, & co., so just now watched the vid online. I have to agree, the autotune on Mike makes him sound like he's 85. I realize his voice is aging, but this audio treatment didn't do him any favors.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:06:11 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

Anyone notice his eyes looking buggy? Looks like all the botox in Paris is taking it's toll.  Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »

Mike and the band  always sound below average to awful at every TV appearance I feel like. Their sound mix just doesn't translate well from a normal live venue. I don't know why.  Part of it is the softness/raspiness of Mike's voice I think. Mixed well in a small theatre it sounds good, but in a TV appearance it just doesn't do it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2017, 07:58:18 PM »

The storyline is always how in control Mike is of his career, of his touring and music-making, how sharp he is in a business sense, etc. If he's that in control of his life and career, how hard is it to say Mike himself approves and has approved ALL of this?

And - Nice reference to BW's solo records Nate (comment in bold). I assume you've heard all of those albums and personally picked out the "autotune" on each, correct? If so, please inform me where it is audible, especially on BW's albums like Gershwin and NPP, I'd love to hear those examples for myself.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2017, 09:00:13 PM »

The storyline is always how in control Mike is of his career, of his touring and music-making, how sharp he is in a business sense, etc. If he's that in control of his life and career, how hard is it to say Mike himself approves and has approved ALL of this?

And - Nice reference to BW's solo records Nate (comment in bold). I assume you've heard all of those albums and personally picked out the "autotune" on each, correct? If so, please inform me where it is audible, especially on BW's albums like Gershwin and NPP, I'd love to hear those examples for myself.

I know you love Brian Wilson, we all do, that’s why we’re here. But don’t let it cloud your judgement. You cannot tell me that you do not hear auto tune on NPP at all. That’s just being naive.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2017, 09:08:29 PM »

I know you love Brian Wilson, we all do, that’s why we’re here. But don’t let it cloud your judgement. You cannot tell me that you do not hear auto tune on NPP at all. That’s just being naive.

I actually own and use Antares Autotune. I know what it does, how it works, how to properly set it and mix it on tracks, and basically the whole ball of wax.

Is that naive enough?

All I'm asking is for an example, either on Gershwin, NPP, and the like. Not an outrageous request by any means.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »

No Pier Pressure has plenty of examples. Nearly every track actually...it's just WAY more subtle and more tasteful than on Mike's piece of garbage.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »

No Pier Pressure has plenty of examples. Nearly every track actually...it's just WAY more subtle and more tasteful than on Mike's piece of garbage.

Ok! Give me one prominent or obvious one! Track, approx time, etc., and I'll listen. That's all I ask.  Smiley

I mean if we're going to bring that up in the context of Mike's latest TV appearance and album, I want to hear where the comparison might be which led to bringing it up regarding a BW album when the topic is Mike's latest music being Autotuned to the point of being obnoxious.

The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »

Ok! Give me one prominent or obvious one! Track, approx time, etc., and I'll listen. That's all I ask.  Smiley

I mean if we're going to bring that up in the context of Mike's latest TV appearance and album, I want to hear where the comparison might be which led to bringing it up regarding a BW album when the topic is Mike's latest music being Autotuned to the point of being obnoxious.
Well first of all, Nate was the one who brought up auto tune, and if you bothered to read his post he obviously said it can be done TASTEFULLY, like on BW albums. You immediately got defensive about them, even thought he complimented the production. As for examples, listen to This Beautiful Day, Whatever Happened, or Guess You Had To Be There. To my ears, it’s pretty obvious that there is something different about those vocals compared to say One Kind I’d Love or TLOS. Brian’s voice just sounds different, a little more electronic, whereas they sound much more organic on the two examples I gave. Again, I’m not the only one to have said this, so it’s not just me pointing this out. I’m also not disagreeing or harping on Brian or whoever’s choice it was, but to say the album is completely free of it is just naive to me.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »

sorry
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:02:44 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:29 AM »

sorry never post when drinking fine wine..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:03:44 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:57 AM »

Well first of all, Nate was the one who brought up auto tune, and if you bothered to read his post he obviously said it can be done TASTEFULLY, like on BW albums. You immediately got defensive about them, even thought he complimented the production. As for examples, listen to This Beautiful Day, Whatever Happened, or Guess You Had To Be There. To my ears, it’s pretty obvious that there is something different about those vocals compared to say One Kind I’d Love or TLOS. Brian’s voice just sounds different, a little more electronic, whereas they sound much more organic on the two examples I gave. Again, I’m not the only one to have said this, so it’s not just me pointing this out. I’m also not disagreeing or harping on Brian or whoever’s choice it was, but to say the album is completely free of it is just naive to me.

I actually own and use Antares Autotune. I know what it does, how it works, how to properly set it and mix it on tracks, and basically the whole ball of wax.

Is that naive enough?

All I'm asking is for an example, either on Gershwin, NPP, and the like. Not an outrageous request by any means.

I know Nate brought it up, which is why I replied to him and asked him the question. But I'm glad it's not just you pointing this out, whatever that's supposed to mean.

"a little more electronic"?  Ok.

Does anything at all on NPP or any of Brian's albums sound even remotely like what you heard on Mike's voice at this tree lighting or on his new album?

If NPP sounds electronic to your ears, on those tracks, how would you describe what Mike's voice sounds like on his new album? Any comparison?

So I ask you who has Mike's photo in your profile and namesake...how is there even a sliver of similarity to bring up Brian's albums, supposedly "all" of which were autotuned enough to warrant a comparisons or mention when the topic is Mike's voice being saturated with Autotune and no attempts made to mask that fact?

if Mike is such a great singer with such a strong voice, why wasn't the Autotune applied more subtly as you say it was done to sound "electronic" on those NPP tracks or any other BW releases?

Keep in mind, the way Autotune works is the more pitchy and off-key a singer is, the more Autotune will be noticeable as an effect moreso than a tool.

As it was the case, perhaps, on the C50 live release.

Maybe Mike is just a very pitchy singer who veers off key more often than not and has trouble in recent years with breath control and nailing pitches other than his "Be True To Your School" schtick.

Just watch any live version on Youtube of Kokomo or even Pisces Brothers from the last 3 years of Mike's touring, any audience recording that hasn't been treated to Autotune, and tell me Mike sings in tune consistently. He does not if those videos are any indication. And he also does not if his "disc 2" of Beach Boys remakes which are bathed in Autotune are any indication, despite Mike having sung those tunes for over 50 years.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx