gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:40:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Help Light The National Christmas Tree WITH PROMO PHOTO  (Read 19484 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »

Are they all Beach Boys or just the guys with caps that have, "The Beach Boys" emblazoned across them?  Wink

COMMENT to mikeddonn:  The Beach Boys are the two looking into the camera. The support people are looking elsewhere. ~swd

I still don't see a picture of The Beach Boys, but I'll keep looking....
COMMENT to mikeddonn:  We're talking about the promo shot --

http://thenationaltree.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/TheBeachBoys_beach-cropped-e1511382329739-1024x769.jpg

~swd
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »

Stephen: I have no spin to offer nor do I have any interest in the politics of these photos if there is that element. I just saw those articles online and shared them here.  Smiley

Maybe it's the nostalgic person in me who thinks back to when a Beach Boys concert in DC was a major event, and not just thousands but hundreds of thousands of people would come to hear them perform. An outdoor Beach Boys concert in DC, New York, Boston, etc was an event. We'll never have that again.

Instead we get Mike and his band playing songs that aren't even Beach Boys songs, that aren't even Christmas songs, ostensibly to plug a Mike Love solo album instead of giving the fans actual, real Beach Boys music to enjoy, and is now sharing stages with Kathie Lee and playing to as many empty seats as seats with people in them.

I guess I'm just sad to see where Mike has taken the name "The Beach Boys" to where they could have packed the set with their classic Christmas songs currently getting spun on those 24/7 FM Christmas format radio stations, and instead Mike Love plays something from his new solo record. It's the Beach Boys people are hearing and digging as they listen to all the Christmas music being played, and Mike and his solo release is not the Beach Boys despite the billing, which may account in a small way for the lack of fans in that crowd.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:06:31 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 06:24:34 AM »

Stephen: I have no spin to offer nor do I have any interest in the politics of these photos if there is that element. I just saw those articles online and shared them here.  Smiley

Maybe it's the nostalgic person in me who thinks back to when a Beach Boys concert in DC was a major event, and not just thousands but hundreds of thousands of people would come to hear them perform. An outdoor Beach Boys concert in DC, New York, Boston, etc was an event. We'll never have that again.

Instead we get Mike and his band playing songs that aren't even Beach Boys songs, that aren't even Christmas songs, ostensibly to plug a Mike Love solo album instead of giving the fans actual, real Beach Boys music to enjoy, and is now sharing stages with Kathie Lee and playing to as many empty seats as seats with people in them.

I guess I'm just sad to see where Mike has taken the name "The Beach Boys" to where they could have packed the set with their classic Christmas songs currently getting spun on those 24/7 FM Christmas format radio stations, and instead Mike Love plays something from his new solo record. It's the Beach Boys people are hearing and digging as they listen to all the Christmas music being played, and Mike and his solo release is not the Beach Boys despite the billing, which may account in a small way for the lack of fans in that crowd.

COMMENT to guitarfool2002:   Point taken and well stated.

What's in a name?  Mike is the legal holder of that name and, I agree, you would think his song selection would reflect some seasonal song from the long history that name brings with it.  However, I don't know how many other songs were performed, or if the other songs were Beach Boy classic Christmas fare. We shall find out December 4th.

Brian once told me that for him "The Beach Boys" died with his brothers. The songs live on, but the group is no more. Hard to argue with that. Brian has moved his musical career along that line of thinking. Brian does not pretend to be "The Beach Boys," but more realistically performs as himself performing the old hits.  In contrast Mike views his performances as an extension of The Beach Boys, an extension unbroken in legacy, legitimacy, and legality. Mike views himself and his crew as the perpetual Beach Boys -- a continuation of the original -- the brothers' deaths marking his act as after the intermission. Mike sees himself as a persistence of Beach Boy history, with each performance being in a line of succession, whereas Brian sees himself departed from the history while re-visiting the songs in performance.   

The sum of the parts is greater than the whole -- in this case, the separation of the group into two (and now three) independent performing acts has generated for each of them, more income than if the group had stayed together.  Many of us, including myself, attend both Beach Boy billed concerts and Brian Wilson billed events. The songs are the same ice cream, but the flavors are different, which only shows how endearing each tune has become.

I can only conclude, as did the boys many years ago, that there is a time and place for both approaches -- and we fans reap the benefits of both.
  ~swd
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »

WOW.. Well said especially the 2nd paragraph..Mike see"s his band as an extension unbroken in legacy legitimacy and legality .. WOW.. I like Brian"s attitude better.. I go see both band"s all the time..  but i never consider Mike"s band as the Beach Boys.. c50 was the last breath of the band IMHO..
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »

Stephen, that is the best description of Brian and Mike's views in recent years that I have ever read. Perfectly stated. While I understand Brian saying The BBs died with his brothers, I do consider Mike's band The Beach Boys. Because in my mind, The Beach Boys always had two entities- studio and tour. Because The Beach Boys most important member, BW, rarely toured in the grand scheme of the 56 years of The Beach Boys. Al left and came back, Carl left and came back, Bruce left and came back, Dave left and came back, Blondie & Ricky came and went. I see the studio Beach Boys as Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Al, David, Blondie, and Ricky. (In terms of C50, I was happy to consider the studio BBs to be Brian, Al, Bruce, Mike & Dave).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is to have two Beach Boys (Mike and Bruce), as well as a kickass backing band, keeping the music alive- that qualifies as The Beach Boys to me. The Beach Boys touring band has always been evolving and changing. And to be honest, I'd rather see a Beach Boys 2017 show, than a late 70's show with stoned, drunk, and paranoid Wilsons.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »

Mike Love doing the Christmas classic "Unleash The Love" at the tree ceremony, audience recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5lzE4a9oyM

Not the Beach Boys' song - Mike's song.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:54:15 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »

Are they all Beach Boys or just the guys with caps that have, "The Beach Boys" emblazoned across them?  Wink

COMMENT to mikeddonn:  The Beach Boys are the two looking into the camera. The support people are looking elsewhere. ~swd

Stephen - I'm certain you don't remember me, since I was a little fan/worker-bee at the Ivar offices when you were the BBs' brilliant engineer, both in the studio and on the road - and you were a truly nice guy who was great to me.  I didn't mean to show any disrespect to you in my posts.  That said, I think mikeddonn was joking, given the wink emoji...So was I, but I still think the comments are funny...sorry...Oh, and when my ex-husband was an FAA employee in DC, he was required to attend Presidential events, so...

I'm glad you continue to post.

COMMENT to Debbie KL:  Hello, hello!  Thanks for your kind words. Having worked at Ivar and with all the Beach Boy daily shenanigans, you can appreciate the photo in question.

You can make lite of anything, but stop and consider this photo.  First, as Debbie well knows, just getting eight people together is an accomplishment in itself. Then you've got to decide where the photo will be shot and find a location. Next get the people all to show up. I'm certain several different poses were considered, but this one is a "winter on the beach" type of thing -- jackets and all. I'm sure the water was cold, as it always is in California. Maybe Bruce showed up in his typical shorts and had to be supplied pants  Cheesy. Next a decision had to be made about the sunglasses. Then who looks where. I thought that having the principles looking directly at the camera while all the others look elsewhere was a brilliant move. It's subtle, even subliminal, but it works to make a distinction between who's the headliner and who supports them.

Debbie, you should post more often. I'm sure you have some stories you could share.  Best to you!!
~Steve D.

Thanks, Stephen...I used to post fairly regularly before my husband became ill, and now that he's doing better, I'm dealing with physical issues.  When I did share my personal experiences a few years ago, I tended to be resented by a number of posters and attacked by a few.  Most, or all of them are gone elsewhere and ironically, then my time became limited to post.  

I also tend to fiercely defend people I have long loved and admired - many of them I still consider some of my closest friends who are also close to Brian and Melinda - so I guess that explains the intensity of some of the attacks. In BBs "politics," I was the enemy to some. Inexplicably - they love the music but attack Brian?  I don't get it.

There are a lot of hilarious stories in my memories, and some very sweet ones, as well.  Maybe I'll share a few when they come to mind again and see what happens.  I do remember that we all loved you, though.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »

They also did "Little Saint Nick" at least at a rehearsal. That song has three things going for it which 'Unleash The Love' does not.

First, it's an actual Beach Boys song. Second, it's a Christmas song. Third, it's a good song.

But I guess as long as Mike can now use "The Beach Boys" name to freely perform and plug his own releases and projects, none of those three points matter, with the third point admittedly being an opinion while the first two are fact.

ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »

Fake Beach Boys 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

Nate.. Lets see.. Mike Bruce Al  sober.. Carl the only time in HIS time in BB history drugs and alcohol affected his performances was 77 78..  played with BB thru 1997.. Dennis WAS erratic 79 83 .. played with BB thru 1983..Brian .. He was on meds for his condition from 76 to this day in time.. as far as drugs and alcohol are concerned .. the other BB wouldnt allow that unless he snuck it behind their backs. which DID happen on occasion but it was rare.. ive been goin to their shows since early 70"s.. They always put on a professional show.. 98% of the time.. your comments on stoned drunk paranoid Wilson"s is out of line IMHO.. your allowed to have your opinon but you never saw the BB in 70"s or 80"s.. because if you did you wouldnt have posted that..IMHO
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 06:50:39 PM »

Stephen, that is the best description of Brian and Mike's views in recent years that I have ever read. Perfectly stated. While I understand Brian saying The BBs died with his brothers, I do consider Mike's band The Beach Boys. Because in my mind, The Beach Boys always had two entities- studio and tour. Because The Beach Boys most important member, BW, rarely toured in the grand scheme of the 56 years of The Beach Boys. Al left and came back, Carl left and came back, Bruce left and came back, Dave left and came back, Blondie & Ricky came and went. I see the studio Beach Boys as Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Bruce, Al, David, Blondie, and Ricky. (In terms of C50, I was happy to consider the studio BBs to be Brian, Al, Bruce, Mike & Dave).

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is to have two Beach Boys (Mike and Bruce), as well as a kickass backing band, keeping the music alive- that qualifies as The Beach Boys to me. The Beach Boys touring band has always been evolving and changing. And to be honest, I'd rather see a Beach Boys 2017 show, than a late 70's show with stoned, drunk, and paranoid Wilsons.

Ok, with that last sentence, you've qualified yourself as a myKe and Br00th fanboy for sure and that's fine, but how many REAL BB shows did you see in the mid to late 70's, and how many of those shows were Carl or Dennis f***ed up? Of course, I'd rather see the Wilsons a bit wobbly over a fake tribute juke box myKe luHv and his posse show. I went to those shows and the Wilson brothers had more charisma just BEING THERE than M&B will ever hope to have. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »

Gosh Darn, you are right OSD. BW solo is more than enough compared to M&B using the legacy for cash.... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:16:31 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »

Damn, I did not expect such hate because of my comment. Ok, you all are right, I haven't seen late 70's BBs show, and my Wilson comment was a bit out of line. My main point was saying that I'm content with Mike's band being the touring version of The Beach Boys. I am not thrilled, however, that Mike is plugging his solo stuff at an event place.

But holy sh*t, I come on here to discuss The Beach Boys, not be made fun of...  Undecided
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »

Aside from all that, here's a picture I found
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/883394546
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »

excuse me the word hate doesnt apply to my post towards you.. i was pointing out i thought you were wrong and you were entitled to your opinion.. hate didnt enter my thoughts.. and i didnt make fun of you..
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:34:50 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »

Ok, Mr. Wilson, I overreacted. Had a rough day. I take back what I said.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 02:29:34 AM »

Are they all Beach Boys or just the guys with caps that have, "The Beach Boys" emblazoned across them?  Wink

COMMENT to mikeddonn:  The Beach Boys are the two looking into the camera. The support people are looking elsewhere. ~swd

Stephen - I'm certain you don't remember me, since I was a little fan/worker-bee at the Ivar offices when you were the BBs' brilliant engineer, both in the studio and on the road - and you were a truly nice guy who was great to me.  I didn't mean to show any disrespect to you in my posts.  That said, I think mikeddonn was joking, given the wink emoji...So was I, but I still think the comments are funny...sorry...Oh, and when my ex-husband was an FAA employee in DC, he was required to attend Presidential events, so...

COMMENT to Debbie KL:  Hello, hello!  Thanks for your kind words. Having worked at Ivar and with all the Beach Boy daily shenanigans, you can appreciate the photo in question.

You can make lite of anything, but stop and consider this photo.  First, as Debbie well knows, just getting eight people together is an accomplishment in itself. Then you've got to decide where the photo will be shot and find a location. Next get the people all to show up. I'm certain several different poses were considered, but this one is a "winter on the beach" type of thing -- jackets and all. I'm sure the water was cold, as it always is in California. Maybe Bruce showed up in his typical shorts and had to be supplied pants  Cheesy. Next a decision had to be made about the sunglasses. Then who looks where. I thought that having the principles looking directly at the camera while all the others look elsewhere was a brilliant move. It's subtle, even subliminal, but it works to make a distinction between who's the headliner and who supports them.

Debbie, you should post more often. I'm sure you have some stories you could share.  Best to you!!
~Steve D.

Thanks, Stephen...I used to post fairly regularly before my husband became ill, and now that he's doing better, I'm dealing with physical issues.  When I did share my personal experiences a few years ago, I tended to be resented by a number of posters and attacked by a few.  Most, or all of them are gone elsewhere and ironically, then my time became limited to post.  

I also tend to fiercely defend people I have long loved and admired - many of them I still consider some of my closest friends who are also close to Brian and Melinda - so I guess that explains the intensity of some of the attacks. In BBs "politics," I was the enemy to some. Inexplicably - they love the music but attack Brian?  I don't get it.

There are a lot of hilarious stories in my memories, and some very sweet ones, as well.  Maybe I'll share a few when they come to mind again and see what happens.  I do remember that we all loved you, though.

Yes I second this! Keep posting Debbie. Always enjoy your opinions.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

COMMENT to Debbie KL:  Hello, hello!  Thanks for your kind words. Having worked at Ivar and with all the Beach Boy daily shenanigans, you can appreciate the photo in question.

You can make lite of anything, but stop and consider this photo.  First, as Debbie well knows, just getting eight people together is an accomplishment in itself. Then you've got to decide where the photo will be shot and find a location. Next get the people all to show up. I'm certain several different poses were considered, but this one is a "winter on the beach" type of thing -- jackets and all. I'm sure the water was cold, as it always is in California. Maybe Bruce showed up in his typical shorts and had to be supplied pants  Cheesy. Next a decision had to be made about the sunglasses. Then who looks where. I thought that having the principles looking directly at the camera while all the others look elsewhere was a brilliant move. It's subtle, even subliminal, but it works to make a distinction between who's the headliner and who supports them.

Debbie, you should post more often. I'm sure you have some stories you could share.  Best to you!!
~Steve D.

Yes I second this! Keep posting Debbie. Always enjoy your opinions.

Thanks!  I have never seen the M&B show, so really don't comment on that - I'll comment on the occasional video.  I know there are talented people in his band.  But given the option, why wouldn't I choose to see the actual creator of the great music and his spectacular band?  

I do consider M&B and Trump sort of "soul-mates" in their style and personal/professional (and legal) histories, so I have no problem with them performing at his events. I consider them a perfect match and I doubt I'd be invited to either entity's performances.  I'll leave it at that.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:24:37 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »

COMMENT to Debbie KL:

Thanks!  I have never seen the M&B show, so really don't comment on that - I'll comment on the occasional video.  I know there are talented people in his band.  But given the option, why wouldn't I choose to see the actual creator of the great music and his spectacular band?

Well here's why . . . You will get that "Beach Boy high" from either venue. The differences are certainly apparent. Brian has a good band and backup singers. Brian is the original, no question, but his addition to the overall presentation hinges on whether you will put up with the intonation errors to hear Brian's actual voice. And due to breathing problems, the phrases are cut short. However, Brian sings many of the Carl leads (Such as God Only Knows) which is a unique experience -- a good one.

Mike and Bruce also have a good band and and backup singers. Since many of the early hits featured Mike's lead, the current performance is more a duplicate of the original, in fact, most of the show does not deviate too far from the original songs and their sound. Both Bruce and Mike still have good voices. So if you prefer the more classic Beach Boy concert (dancing in the lies - standing and waving of arms) go see M&B. If you are looking for a slice of history and wish to relate to the man who gave that to you, while at the same time being quite entertained, buy the BW ticket.   

I do consider M&B and Trump sort of "soul-mates" in their style and personal/professional (and legal) histories, so I have no problem with them performing at his events. I consider them a perfect match and I doubt I'd be invited to either entity's performances.  I'll leave it at that.

And at the hesitation of entering into dangerous waters . . .  Mike and Bruce are both business oriented and knowledgeable of Distribution Rights, Record Deal Laws, Copywrites, Accounting, and deal making. Like Trump, they value business. So, if asked, they have no problem being on the same Playbill as him. To me it was natural for Mike and Bruce to team up and with the rights to "The Beach Boy" name, make as much money as possible. It wasn't going to be made in the studio. The studio was the creative outlet, funded by the road. 

Brian has people he pays to do business deals. He would rather create, but the road is lucrative. And very lucrative for Brian Wilson! Just remember, he travels by bus. You can put a digital recording studio in a bus. ...Just saying.

~swd
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »

Stephen, I realize it's only opinion but I disagree with the opinion of Mike's voice. I've listened to dozens of concert performances from Mike over the past few years, and more often than not his voice on lead vocals is one of the weaker parts in the whole presentation. If it's not a broadcast performance where they're playing to backing tracks, Mike is often off-key and sounds as if he's running out of breath on phrases he's sung hundreds of times. To my ears, the incessant touring has taken a toll on his voice and it's just not that good compared to what's around it.

Have you heard Mike's new album "Unleash The Love", particularly "disc 2" which is full of Beach Boys remakes? When it came out, I wasn't alone in commenting that Mike's leads sounded like he was running out of breath on even the most well-known Beach Boys hits he remade for this, and his voice turns more into a whisper as it sounds like he's simply not hitting the notes or when he does, he runs out of air.

And the point must be raised too about the amount of Autotune (or other) digital pitch correction applied to Mike's leads on both discs of the new release. It's obnoxious. The effect can obviously be used as purely an effect, a sonic gimmick, but if Mike is singing those hits he sings live all year round and has sung for over 50 years in some cases, he should be able to present them without so much effort being exerted to correct his pitch digitally. If he has a good voice for those songs, why aren't we hearing it especially on "disc 2"? And why aren't more of the hundreds of YouTube clips from the last few years of Mike's touring and live shows better vocally than they really are? Mike's vocals on any number of those are just not that good overall, on the basic points like pitch and phrasing/breath and tone.

I'd post some examples of live performances where Mike's voice and vocal shortcomings including bad pitch and odd phrasing would be on display, but I may be accused of cherrypicking the worst I could find to make a point, and that's not why I'm saying this. But a simple YouTube search of Mike singing a few BB's songs at his live shows would give examples of something less than a singer nailing a lead vocal. The shortcomings come blasting through the mix, again unless it was one of those broadcasts where they're using pre-recorded tracks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:55:54 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »

COMMENT to guitarfool2002:

My Comments are from hearing Mike live about a year or so ago.

I will grant you that Mike's voice is not what it was 40 years ago. But I would say that IMO the energy levels are higher at the M&B version. Having worked with Michel as a producer, I doubt you are hearing anything that he does not. In other words, his use of pitch correction may be his saving grace ... from the ravages of continuous singing and getting older. Since the crowds at M&B shows continue to be well attended, if not sold-out, can you really blame him for using this technical crutch if people still buy tickets.  Do you know that each "Meet and Great" brings in each night an addition $20,000 (typical) to them both -- dirctly, not thru a distributor.

As I have always said, THIS IS THE MUSIC BUSINESS
      BUSINESS $ $ $ $ 

~swd
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »

The frustrating aspect of Mike's voice is that I think he would sound better if he didn't over-tour so much. If he toured every other year, or did 50 or 75 dates per year instead of 150-175, his voice wouldn't be so shredded. It's probably a small miracle his voice is as good as it is given he's going on 77 years years old and does 150+ shows per year, every year. But he could sound better if didn't insist on the cash rolling in all year. 

The C50 tour indeed was a "lighter" schedule compared to what Mike typically does. And I think his voice bounced back noticeably for that tour. He had at least approx. 3-4 months off from the road at the beginning of 2012 (barring a couple of private/corporate shows), and the five months of the actual tour, especially the later international dates, were a lighter schedule than usual.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:12:20 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »

It's all subjective, but I will say a concert in 2015 at The Mann in Philly with Brian Wilson was as high-energy musically as I've seen, and especially with Al and Matt Jardine on stage with the band, a song like "I Get Around" was simply amazing, and that performance I saw that night was better in less than 3 minutes than the hours of Mike's concerts I've watched in the past 3 years. It's like any performers and their performances, there are nights which are much better or much worse than others, obviously.

But I will say, again just my ears and my opinion, that playing all these shows for the $$$ has taken a toll on Mike's voice and in some cases it brings the performance of the band down a few pegs overall because it's just not on the same level musically in those moments. And if Mike were not constantly, if not in every interview, talking about how eschewing alcohol, drugs, and smoking has allowed him to be "still tourin'" as much as he does, it may be a little easier to measure up those comments with the actual results of his performances if he was consistently delivering quality leads instead of what seems to be the case at his shows, and even on his new record.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »

I honestly don't get Mike's obsession with touring....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »

I think all of The Beach Boys voices have deteriorated, aside from Al. Both Mike and Brian still can sing, just not as good as they did 50+ years ago when they recorded these songs. Like Mr. Desper said, you will definitely get a "Beach Boys High" from both shows. I think of Brian's band like going to see an orchestra and Mike's band is like going to see a rock n' roll band. Brian's band plays with finesse and Mike's band plays with raw energy. After leaving Brian's show, I feel thankful and I feel love. After leaving Mike's show, I feel energized and excitement.  If you can't tell, I love both shows.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx