gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:43:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 copyright extension release details?  (Read 38937 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 05:30:28 AM »

Why wasn't LAPD informed about this matter earlier? -

the guys in the lab need a bit more detail. People's lives depend on it, you know.

Mr. Linett?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »

Live Sunshine - 109 performances from 7 shows in 5 states during the 1967 tour

109 performances? How many discs is this going to be...lol

LOL

Maybe just the one, an Anthem of the Sun-style cut-and-paste job. Grin

Great to see the Don in the house. :=)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:45:32 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 06:36:08 AM »

From Lee's post on PSF:

According to the new winter edition of Endless Summer Quarterly, published today:

Sunshine Tomorrow 2 - 29 additional tracks from the Smiley Smile sessions, the Lei'd in Hawaii Wally Heider Studio sessions, and the Wild Honey sessions, including the unreleased "Good News"
Live Sunshine - 109 performances from 7 shows in 5 states during the 1967 tour

109 performances? How many discs is this going to be...lol

The 7 shows should fit on four discs.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2017, 03:51:44 AM »

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 04:21:39 AM »

Where did you get it from?  I don't see it available for pre-order on iTunes yet.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:02 AM »

I've just found out Michigan Live, which wasn't released outside of the us last year, now available here in Japan! Congrats, Mr. Linett!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 04:27:41 AM »

Where did you get it from?  I don't see it available for pre-order on iTunes yet.
Only in regions where it is already 12/8 now the sets are available I suppose. 
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 04:28:33 AM »

I live in New Zealand so we are ahead of everyone in the world it’s alreay the 8th here
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 04:56:42 AM »

Well I can’t wait for tomorrow then!

I am beyond happy we’re getting something other than another live set this year. The greatest copyright release they did was ‘Keep An Eye On Summer’ and man were we spoiled with that. That being said I’m looking forward to the 109 songs.

@Mr Fulton, are there any tracks that stand out to you so far?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2017, 06:14:34 AM »

Holy crap guys....

That is Dennis' "Tune L" listed right there! I am now even MORE excited!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »

OK, folks, live from New Zealand... Sunshine Tomorrow 2 tracklist:

https://tinyurl.com/BBSunshineT2

...and Live Sunshine tracklist:

https://tinyurl.com/BBLiveSunshine
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:33 AM »

OK, folks, live from New Zealand... Sunshine Tomorrow 2 tracklist:

https://tinyurl.com/BBSunshineT2

...and Live Sunshine tracklist:

https://tinyurl.com/BBLiveSunshine

Thank you for sharing!! This looks incredible! A cappella Little Pad, I can’t wait to hear that.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2017, 07:13:04 AM »

Sunshine tomorrow for USA fans! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2017, 07:55:52 AM »

Listening through now, so will probably have more to say later. The separation on the a capella mixes is great - as you would expect, these mixes from the master tapes mostly presents literally just the vocals with no backing track bleed, which is a revelation on tracks like the H&V a capella - so for example, on the chorus, you get to hear all the voices completely unobscured by the Baldwin drone, which I don't think I've ever done before. Don't get me wrong, I love the Baldwin, but it's fascinating to hear the vocals so clearly, and a gift to the 'roll yer own' mix crowd.

And of course, some of the tracks have been available in a capella mixes on boots before, but usually either not in stereo or with bleed-through from instrumental backing tracks, or in very poor quality, or in some mixture of all of the above! So, for example, the Here Comes The Night vocals were available a capella on some bootleg CD years ago that I just about recall (don't ask me what it was called, though...), but the quality was awful. No longer - the vocals sound unbelievable here!

Good News is the simple and basic track we knew it probably would be, once we knew in the summer what it actually was. I mean, nice and all to have at last... but it is literally Al and a guitar, singing an occasional line from the off-axis to the mic. But we knew that.

The 'worth it all for this' tracks for me so far are the a capellas: H&V, Little Pad, Here Comes The Night, Let The Wind Blow, all of which are as good as you'd know they'd have to be...! Tune L also absolutely rocks, and even has a cool theremin line in it (plus one of the guitar breaks sounds incredibly like THAT riff from Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit from a mere 23 years later!). No vocals though, sadly. I prefer Dennis's 60s and early 70s stuff to what came later, though, so I was bound to like this. As a long-standing huge fan of the slowly, dreamier Heider studio session rearrangements of some of the songs that were presumably for use on the putative Lei'd In Hawaii album, I'm also LOVING having stereo mixes of more of these recordings at last. We've had God Only Knows from these sessions since the Endless Harmony release nearly 20 years ago, and California Girls as well since MiC came out, but the rest were only on boots of terrible sonic quality or really badly mixed (as on SOT). Now at last, here are 'proper' stereo mixes. It's also great to have another studio recording of Heroes and Villains, even if there are no lead vocals (this is, of course the track that the Mike Love 'nuclear bomb' rant was overdubbed on, as heard on various boots, but here the track is presented without this, er, charming vocal, so it's a stereo organ-heavy Heider backing track and group backing vocals, which is interesting... like a properly 'Smiley-ised' studio version of H&V, not the one on the album salvaged from the SMiLE recordings). I also don't recall hearing the Heider version of Surfin' before, which sounds like a *proper* surf garage band, with cool fuzz-tone guitar, trashcan drums and of course the piping 'Do It Again' organ line. If it weren't for the lack of vocals, I think I'd prefer this to the original single!

I wasn't sure what the Aren't You Glad 'single' stereo mix was for (as surely this never was a single, much less a stereo one, back in the day)... but then I noticed that the mix recreates some of the backing track mutes that were on the original 1967 mono mix, which the Sunshine Tomorrow stereo mix this past summer did not. So I don't know, perhaps they took the opportunity presented by this set to have another go at the stereo mix and get it closer to the mono...?

The Can't Wait Too Long mix is basically another, slightly different mix of the same section of the song we heard in the ST set in the summer, with that strange tag (with a completely different rhythm) that we previously heard at the end of the very first 'official' mix of CWTL that came out, on the 1990 SS/WH twofer. Prominent organ, with snare hits and a Fender bass wandering up and down the scale. You know the one I mean. No great revelations here.

Oh yeah, and the 1967 Time To Get Along backing in full quality! Yay!

Other than that, the Smiley and Wild Honey session tracks are interesting for track scholars, as you hear the backing track for part of the song, the backing vocal parts for others, and usually everything all together (minus lead vocals, of course) by the end. This may frustrate those who like to do their own mixes, as you don't quite ever get complete isolated backing vocals for complete tracks nor completely unoverdubbed backing tracks all the way through any of the tracks. But perhaps that was partly the point...! It's still a fascinating listen.

I haven't got through the live set yet. I'm not usually that into live discs where the Beach Boys are concerned. But the Hawaii rehearsals hooked me in to listening to it. So far, what I don't get is how great the Boys sound in some of the pre-show rehearsals compared to some of the really ropey performances they gave during the actual Hawaii concerts...!

And they ran through Whistle In in rehearsal... but then didn't play it at the shows? What WAS going on with this band at the time...? Brian does sound pretty snippy on a couple of the rehearsal tracks I've heard so far, too... worried about a sheet of paper which has gone missing on which he'd written all the Baldwin stop settings for the different songs, and cuttingly asking Carl if the band are just going to keep noodling on their instruments when they're all supposed to be rehearsing. I guess it *was* his first live show in quite a while...!

More on this stuff later...

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:00:02 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »

Is this only going to be on iTunes?

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »

Who knows? Some of the previous collections ended up in FLAC on Qobuz, too. But I think not all of 'em...!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 10:21:29 AM »

I think many if not most/all of these copyright extension sets are on Amazon to download as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »

I think many if not most/all of these copyright extension sets are on Amazon to download as well.

I just started their Music Unlimited program so that way I can listen to it tomorrow. They're running a special right now... 3 months for 99 cents.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

Will there be no physical release then?

Cry

I'm not on iTunes, and don't plan to become a member either. What must*) I do?

*) doing nothing is not an option, not even busily so.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:42 PM »

Cry

There hasn't been a physical release of any of the end-of-year "Copyright Extension" releases since they began in 2013 (unless one counts the "Party" 2-CD set from 2015).

There are numerous options to purchase digital downloads. Amazon is perhaps the most mainstream and easy. HDTracks is another. I believe there are several others.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »

Cry

There hasn't been a physical release of any of the end-of-year "Copyright Extension" releases since they began in 2013 (unless one counts the "Party" 2-CD set from 2015).

There are numerous options to purchase digital downloads. Amazon is perhaps the most mainstream and easy. HDTracks is another. I believe there are several others.

Thank you! Light at the end of the tunnel, then, and not the light of the proverbial oncoming train... time for action!

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »

It's on Spotify (Europe)!

There goes my night!

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 04:44:21 PM »

Holy crap guys....

That is Dennis' "Tune L" listed right there! I am now even MORE excited!

What is this track? It sounds very un-Beach Boys and more Beatles/Pepper.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »

On Apple Music on the East Coast. A cappella ‘Heroes’ sounds flippin amazing. Can’t wait to hear the rest!

Edit:

- ‘With Me Tonight’ session highlights is one of the most beautiful tracks these guys have ever officially released.

- the end of ‘Wind Chimes’ backing vocals - indescribable how beautiful it is.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:52:43 PM by rab2591 » Logged

astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »

Hope this doesn't hinder the sells of "Unleash The Love"!

Cook pork throughly
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx