gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:11:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 copyright extension release details?  (Read 38931 times)
leafy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2017, 06:42:29 AM »

Hello,
I did some searching but I did not find a thread for this topic. Apologies if I just missed it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any details about a 2017 copyright extension release like they did last year with the Graduation Day 1966 release.

With December only a month and change away, maybe some details are out there. thanks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:10:57 AM »

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they will release the Hawaii '67 shows and probably the road shows of that year without Brian. In 2016 a couple of tracks from Michigan '66 were released on the Pet Sounds box and later both shows were put out as the copyright extension release. This year the Sunshine Tomorrow set had some tracks from above mentioned shows so I guess there's a possibility

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »

The "Copyright Extension" sets are great, I'm all for them.

But I do hope BRI continues archival releases outside the very specific "50 year copyright extension" prompt.

Every album should get the "Sunshine Tomorrrow" treatment, and we shouldn't have to wait until 2027 for a "Love You" boxed set.

Or, instead, just a big boxed set of themed outtakes. Brian's demos, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »

Pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they will release the Hawaii '67 shows and probably the road shows of that year without Brian. In 2016 a couple of tracks from Michigan '66 were released on the Pet Sounds box and later both shows were put out as the copyright extension release. This year the Sunshine Tomorrow set had some tracks from above mentioned shows so I guess there's a possibility

Haven't they said that those tapes are two damaged and that's why it wasn't used on Sunshine Tomorrow?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »

Any news on this?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »

It looks like there's an iffy CD coming from Japan that features one of the Hawaii '67 shows:

https://www.spincds.com/hollywood-bowl-1965-japanese-digpak-cd-54612

The translation of the description is pretty epically bizarre; though there's something compelling about the idea of the BBs titling that album "Raid in Hawaii"  LOL    :

Full appearance of unreleased live board "Raid in Hawaii" here! Completely recorded Hawaiian · Honolulu concert on August 25, 1967! During the abortion of the phantom album "Smile", the tour refused B · Wilson also participates fully! Beginning with super rare "The Letter", a single "hero and bad hit" of those days!

(Translated from Japanese.)

In any event, this sketchy CD from Japan may help motivate Capitol to include the full Hawaii shows as part of this year's "copyright extension" set (if it wasn't already planned). I'm kind of ambivalent about it; those Hawaii shows have been floating around for quite a long time now.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »

It looks like there's an iffy CD coming from Japan that features one of the Hawaii '67 shows:

https://www.spincds.com/hollywood-bowl-1965-japanese-digpak-cd-54612

The translation of the description is pretty epically bizarre; though there's something compelling about the idea of the BBs titling that album "Raid in Hawaii"  LOL    :

Full appearance of unreleased live board "Raid in Hawaii" here! Completely recorded Hawaiian · Honolulu concert on August 25, 1967! During the abortion of the phantom album "Smile", the tour refused B · Wilson also participates fully! Beginning with super rare "The Letter", a single "hero and bad hit" of those days!

(Translated from Japanese.)

In any event, this sketchy CD from Japan may help motivate Capitol to include the full Hawaii shows as part of this year's "copyright extension" set (if it wasn't already planned). I'm kind of ambivalent about it; those Hawaii shows have been floating around for quite a long time now.
"Raid in Hawaii"? Maybe this includes the opening set by Paul Revere and the Raiders? I would buy that!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »

I thought that "1967" was that release....
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 10:29:34 PM »

Me, too.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »

Legally speaking do they actually need to release the full Lei'ed in Hawaii concerts to preserve their copyright? Would just the the released "excerpts" from those shows protect the rest of tape from wntering public domain?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50:54 AM »

Legally speaking do they actually need to release the full Lei'ed in Hawaii concerts to preserve their copyright? Would just the the released "excerpts" from those shows protect the rest of tape from wntering public domain?

That was what I was thinking.

Next year is the 50 year anniversary of my personal favorite for many years  (now tied with Wild Honey)  , Friends. Can't wait for next years possible extension releases!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:51:33 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »

I thought the same thing about the expanded Party album, but then they released live in Chicago, so I am not so sure.
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »

We are going to get something before the year is done. According to ESQ magazine and oh Mark Linettt posted in this a while back, after the release of Sunshine Tommorrow. The third reply down.       http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25561.0.html
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:51:56 AM by branaa09 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »

The "copyright extension" thing is murky, but here's what I remember based on what info has been put out there:

In terms of studio recordings, all that is supposedly needed to protect "all" sessions for a song is for one take/recording to be issued. So any *song* that has already had a release in some form has thus had its entire "session" run protected as far as recordings. This is why tracks like "Thank Him" from "Big Beat 1963" or "Christmas Eve" and "Jingle Bells" on the "Keep an Eye on Summer 1964" were included.

This is of course murky; as I've pointed out before, I'm not sure what would happen if, say, a 1964 demo of "Santa Ana Winds" emerged. 

What we also know, of course, is that especially starting with the 1964 extension set, they've gone well *past* what they technically had to include to protect the recording copyrights in including alternates of songs we've already seen released and in some cases already seen other alternates issued.

I'm not sure what the deal is with live recordings, but I think because each live show/recording is its own event in terms of copyright (as opposed to a studio session tape where all work leading up the "master" is kind of all inclusive of one "project"), it may be that each given live recording has to be issued to protect the copyright of the actual recording.

But I dunno, I'm not sure we're going to see just a glut of 1967 live recordings issued before the end of the year. That is, I think we're likely to see some more studio and live stuff, but are we really going to see a release of all five or six soundboard shows (that we know of) from 1967. Two Hawaii shows, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston, and maybe one other?

Will they, conversely, go for some other stuff that isn't already "out there" and has been heard? All of that live '67 stuff has been floating around for many years, and the best of the lot *was* included on "Sunshine Tomorrow."

But I dunno, I could envision a "live" and "studio" copyright extension set, and they *could* fit all those '67 shows on the equivalent of what would be around 3 CDs (it would be digital only of course).

bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:42 PM »

I am wondering if it will be released 12/1, 12/8 or 12/15. My money is on 12/8.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »

I'm hoping for more Smile, Smiley Smile and Wild Honey sessions.  Maybe more of Smile in stereo as well.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »

Durrie acetates.
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »

dig ding ding ding !!!!!!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 06:09:25 PM »

Shocked

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »

Thank you SO MUCH for this news Mr. Linett! And keep up the absolutely amazing work!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 11:38:33 PM »

Wow...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »

Can you get Advent calendars that only go up to the 8th?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »

YES!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »

Yes!!!
Hey Mark, since I guessed right, can I get a sneak peak???  Cheesy
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »

So, will there be a formal announcement in the next few days or will we simply be finding new goodies to buy in our digital provider of choice on the 8th?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:11:42 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx