gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:29:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272444 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 30, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

GREAT version of Christmas Time is Here Again just posted on Brian's board. It rocks....great vocal by Al....sounds like the late 70's all over again! Nice job...can't wait to see Blondie doing Run Run Rudolph!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 30, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »

If you've read Breams Mpls. Star review don't give this guy too much value. Dennis Wilson stood on stage and told of how is mother was born in this state and how much it meant to the group to play here. Bream's article stated Minnesota basically were fools for believing this and Dennis states this at every show.  No research on his part at all.  Go to the show if you can. It's more than a Blue Christmas for fans.  The Angel's up above even brought us snow to help make the eve bright.  I'm interested to see how other's view the next months of show's.  The first note , informs you your in the right place, Brian playing Christmas songs, did you ever think you would see this? That's why you should go!

Ah, another critic/"unbiased journalist" - do people who go to the shows even care? We all have a different experience, without the obligation of trying to sound tough.  Whatever he has to do to get paid, I wish him well
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:29 PM »

Just got home from the Hammond show. 
I needed Brian's music tonight more than ever before - just about 24 hours ago, my beagle, who was 14 but in fairly good health, collapsed in our kitchen.  By the time we got her to the emergency vet, she was gone - she had had a heart attack.  Brian's music has been with me for my entire life, in good times and bad - it's what I always turn to.  So it was providence that I had a Brian concert to go to.
Brian had to be helped out on stage, and was clearly limping.  It seems like he only sang when he had to.  Sometimes his voice was faltering, other times he sounded strong.  I read a recent comment somewhere that he might not be himself because of pain medication - that could very well be the case. 
But as for the rest of the band - hot damn, they were awesome.  The guys we all know and love were spot-on as always.  Blondie's reggae "Blue Christmas", "O Holy Night", and "Run Run Rudolph" were outstanding.  He had tons of energy and spirit.  While I like Matt Jardine, I really did prefer Rob Bonfiglio's voice.  He did a fantastic job on high parts and sang "White Christmas" beautifully.  These guys are masters of Brian's style and technique.  The harmonies on "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "Auld Lang Syne" were stellar, and practically identical to the record. 
The venue was maybe half-full.  I've been to 29 BW concerts over the past 19 years, and this was by far the most sparsely attended show I've been to.  Why?  Maybe a out-of-the-way venue on a Friday night when people aren't really to be all Christmassey yet?  A show that wasn't as well-promoted in the Chicago area as previous Brian shows?  I don't know.  But I was glad I was there.  I danced my ass off in the aisle during the traditional Beach Boys hoedown encore set, and worked out some of my grief. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 30, 2018, 10:30:15 PM »

Am I I the only one who thinks that "Morning Christmas" should be added to the show? It's not Brian's song, but it would be a nice little tribute to Dennis and it would make for an amazing encore.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »

MC is dull. If they sing it fast - maybe. But I dislike melody.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: November 30, 2018, 10:56:27 PM »

It’s great on an album but I’m not sure how well it would translate live either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: December 01, 2018, 05:28:07 AM »

The Beach Boys' version of "Peggy Sue" is great imo. But "Christmas time is here again" rightfully didn't get a release. This live performance also doesn't make it a good song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 01, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »

It’s great on an album but I’m not sure how well it would translate live either.
I think that with the right lighting and atmosphere, it could be quite a powerful moment. It would also be interesting if they added the unreleased Christmas song from the "Wilson Project".

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »

About to start the 3 hour drive to the show tonight.  Any cool merch for this short and unique tour?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: December 01, 2018, 12:47:12 PM »

There are a couple of shirts promoting both Pet Sounds and the Christmas show, ugly sweater style. The Pet Sounds tour merch is still there. Margarita and I both have the hoodie, definitely a nice wear!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 01, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »

It's really cool and surprising that they're bringing out "Winter Symphony". I didn't think there'd be room in the setlist for something like that.

Seconded. LOVE that song.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 01, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews of  Brian's shows from elsewhere. Man, I feel like crying.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 01, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »

The Beach Boys' version of "Peggy Sue" is great imo. But "Christmas time is here again" rightfully didn't get a release. This live performance also doesn't make it a good song.

I disagree . I love Christmas time is here Again. It always gets me excited right before Christmas
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 01, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews of  Brian's shows from elsewhere. Man, I feel like crying.

Yep.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 01, 2018, 04:07:20 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews of  Brian's shows from elsewhere. Man, I feel like crying.

Why? Crying in a good way or bad ?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:07:58 PM by tpesky » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 01, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »

Just sat down.  Got my silver ornament.  Smiley
Competition Clutch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 01, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »

Thanks for the report.  Going next week with a 45-minute drive. Cheesy .   Give us more information later. 
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: December 01, 2018, 05:11:05 PM »

BTW, "Winter Symphony" was not in the show last night in Hammond.

Tell ya what...if you want some music performed by overly-trained Brian fans who can nail every last bit of the harmonies and the music, you will NOT go wrong by going to one of these shows. If you're going there just to see Brian and nothing else, then...yeah, you're going to be disappointed.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 01, 2018, 05:36:41 PM »

Thanks for the report.  Going next week with a 45-minute drive. Cheesy .   Give us more information later. 

Will do.  There was an opening act that did 6 songs in a half hour.  Weird thing is most of the empty seats are in the front half of the place.. and I'm pretty sure these were marked as sold when I picked my seat slightly further back.  But whatever.  I got a great spot anyway.   Everybody here seems to be at least 20 years older than me.  Hope they are up for this.  Hope we get Winter Symphony.  Not promising after the post above. 

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 01, 2018, 05:38:29 PM »

There are a couple of shirts promoting both Pet Sounds and the Christmas show, ugly sweater style. The Pet Sounds tour merch is still there. Margarita and I both have the hoodie, definitely a nice wear!

The poster is nice, but too small for $35.  Autographed books and stuff.  You're right about the ugly sweaters.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 01, 2018, 07:41:24 PM »

OK.. an 85 minute set.  No break.  No Winter Symphony.   

I'm a Brian supporter until the day i die, but that was rough.  Hard to believe it's the same guy who i saw do Pet Sounds in 2016 and 2017.  He didnt have much to do.. barely sang anything.. and missed a lot of marks.  Makes sense with so little to do that his mind would wander.  Al looked at him a lot.  He was looking around.. very figgity.. when he'd rub his face his hand would shake so fast.  He was also rocking his jaw back and forth a lot. Which i never saw him do.  Blondie stole the show and the crowd loved him.  Al saved the hits portion.  And i think the entire band around Brian singing Auld Lang Syne without Brian even opening his mouth was it.  Its sad, but seriously.. this could very well be the end my friends.  And who could blame him.  Not me.  In fact, over the last word of ALS, brian said, "is that it Paul?  Are we done?"  And hauled ass out of there.  I've seen him live about 6 times and im used to brian on stage.. but this was different.  I wonder what the guys in the band think.  I thought he had back surgery but he cant seem to walk by himself.

I'll be home in about 3 hours and can share more.  Sorry for this rambling message.. on my phone.  I dont regret coming.  Brian is always worth it to me.  But I don't see him continuing if he's already singing this little in the show.   
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 01, 2018, 09:37:30 PM »

I've just been reading some reviews of  Brian's shows from elsewhere. Man, I feel like crying.

Why? Crying in a good way or bad ?
Bad.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 01, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »

Tonight's set consisted of 26 songs in 85 minutes.  Here we go:

1. Little Saint Nick - Brian lead, but his voice cracked on nearly every line
2. The Man With All The Toys - Brian did fine, with Rob Bonfiglio doing the high parts
3. Santa's Beard - a bit too fast for Brian to nail
4. Merry Christmas Baby - Blondie did the first and last verse, Al did the rest.  I got chills during Blondie's first verse.  The crowd loved him all night.  Very good.
5. Christmas Day - Al did this one, seemed a little timid.  
6. Frosty the Snowman - Rob and the guys
7. Santa Claus is Coming to Town - More Rob with Brian on the "he sees you when.." parts
8. Christmasey - Surprised that Brian nailed this one given how fast the delivery is.  But he actually did a good job.
9. What I Really Want For Christmas - a wonderful song, and Brian tried, but it doesn't work as well with a more spoken delivery
10. On Christmas Day - I think Brian sang most of this one.  Don't remember.
11. Blue Christmas - Excellent Blondie rendition
12. We Three Kings - Rob and the gang.  Brian didn't move.
13. Christmas Time Is Here Again - Al did a nice job.
14. I'll Be Home For Christmas - Another Rob lead.
15. O Holy Night - Blondie highlight
16. Run Rudolph Run - Another Blondie highlight.

After 6 straight songs without Brian opening his mouth, they did band introductions.  It didn't include a brief jam for each member like it normally does.  Then without a break they launched right into the hits set:

17. Wouldn't It Be Nice - More Rob.  Brian did the bridge.
18. God Only Knows - Brian
19. Sloop John B - Al.  Brian usually does a verse in this, but didn't bother.
20. Good Vibrations - Brian did the first 2 lines in the first two verses, then nothing else.  Didn't even do Mike's "i'm picking up" part as usual.
21. Help Me Rhonda - Al
22. Barbara Ann - everyone but Brian, though Brian did look to really be playing piano for most of this and Rhonda.
23. Surfin USA - I think Brian only sang the first verse and Al did the rest
24. Fun Fun Fun - Al and group
25. White Christmas - Rob
26. Auld Lang Syne - everybody huddled around Brian singing.. including the opening act.. but Brian didn't sing.

As I mentioned, over the last word of ALS, Brian asked Paul if they were done and then hauled ass off stage.  The rest of the guys stood around a bit being applauded.  The crowd around me generally seemed to ignore Brian and just focus on the positive.. enjoying it more than me because I was just worried for him.  It's only the 3rd date on the tour and this is not what I'm used to seeing from him.  Blondie and Al really stole the show.  Rob Bonfiglio did a fine job in Matt Jardine's place, but his mic was too low all night.  And Nelson Bragg wasn't there, which I didn't realize beforehand.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:17:16 PM by TV Forces » Logged
Radio 7
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 02, 2018, 05:47:11 AM »

Tonight's set consisted of 26 songs in 85 minutes.  Here we go:

1. Little Saint Nick - Brian lead, but his voice cracked on nearly every line
2. The Man With All The Toys - Brian did fine, with Rob Bonfiglio doing the high parts
3. Santa's Beard - a bit too fast for Brian to nail
4. Merry Christmas Baby - Blondie did the first and last verse, Al did the rest.  I got chills during Blondie's first verse.  The crowd loved him all night.  Very good.
5. Christmas Day - Al did this one, seemed a little timid.  
6. Frosty the Snowman - Rob and the guys
7. Santa Claus is Coming to Town - More Rob with Brian on the "he sees you when.." parts
8. Christmasey - Surprised that Brian nailed this one given how fast the delivery is.  But he actually did a good job.
9. What I Really Want For Christmas - a wonderful song, and Brian tried, but it doesn't work as well with a more spoken delivery
10. On Christmas Day - I think Brian sang most of this one.  Don't remember.
11. Blue Christmas - Excellent Blondie rendition
12. We Three Kings - Rob and the gang.  Brian didn't move.
13. Christmas Time Is Here Again - Al did a nice job.
14. I'll Be Home For Christmas - Another Rob lead.
15. O Holy Night - Blondie highlight
16. Run Rudolph Run - Another Blondie highlight.

After 6 straight songs without Brian opening his mouth, they did band introductions.  It didn't include a brief jam for each member like it normally does.  Then without a break they launched right into the hits set:

17. Wouldn't It Be Nice - More Rob.  Brian did the bridge.
18. God Only Knows - Brian
19. Sloop John B - Al.  Brian usually does a verse in this, but didn't bother.
20. Good Vibrations - Brian did the first 2 lines in the first two verses, then nothing else.  Didn't even do Mike's "i'm picking up" part as usual.
21. Help Me Rhonda - Al
22. Barbara Ann - everyone but Brian, though Brian did look to really be playing piano for most of this and Rhonda.
23. Surfin USA - I think Brian only sang the first verse and Al did the rest
24. Fun Fun Fun - Al and group
25. White Christmas - Rob
26. Auld Lang Syne - everybody huddled around Brian singing.. including the opening act.. but Brian didn't sing.

As I mentioned, over the last word of ALS, Brian asked Paul if they were done and then hauled ass off stage.  The rest of the guys stood around a bit being applauded.  The crowd around me generally seemed to ignore Brian and just focus on the positive.. enjoying it more than me because I was just worried for him.  It's only the 3rd date on the tour and this is not what I'm used to seeing from him.  Blondie and Al really stole the show.  Rob Bonfiglio did a fine job in Matt Jardine's place, but his mic was too low all night.  And Nelson Bragg wasn't there, which I didn't realize beforehand.

A very bittersweet show.  Brian clearly cannot perform like he used to and doesn't want to be there.  As TV Forces said, before the end of ALS Brian look up and said,
"Is that it Paul"? The rest of the band took an awkward bow with out Brian there.

That being said, Al Blondie and the rest of the band were terrific. Blondie stole the show with Blue Christmas.  Al was great on all his leads. While introducing Christmas Day he said  "Brian and me are 2/5th of the Beach Boys. Can I say that?"

Maybe it's time to let Brian stay home and call the show Al Jardine Blondie Chaplin and the Brain Wilson band.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 02, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »

‘Is that it Paul?’  ALS nicely done though.

https://youtu.be/Riouy79bwXA
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx