gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:34:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272534 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »

Thank you for the reports. I too feel that Brian truly does want to be on the road, and his diminished mobility has to be affecting him and not just physically. I like the idea of Al having a mini-set too. Unlike some, I think Brian continuing to tour is a good thing as it will keep him active. I don't think making him more sedentary is the answer, as I don't think that will be good for his spirits. Just my feeling, and I could be wrong

Perhaps ideally they would be doing a more spaced-out (timeline wise) tour schedule, doing one or two shows per week. This upcoming XMas tour has some runs of four shows in four nights. But I get it, I don't think financially they can just keep a band on retainer all year, traveling and/or waiting around, to do one or two shows per week.

Having caught the opening night of some tours, and also the first night on a tour after several days' rest, I do think those shows tend to be better, more peppy and energetic and fresh.

Any band can start wearing out after too many nights in a row. Even Mike's backing band loses steam and starts to sound ragged when they do their runs of like 12 shows in 13 days, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 14, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »

The band has definitely put in time learning the Christmas album material.

Have Brian and Al? Hmm.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:45:42 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 14, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »

Thank you for the reports. I too feel that Brian truly does want to be on the road, and his diminished mobility has to be affecting him and not just physically. I like the idea of Al having a mini-set too. Unlike some, I think Brian continuing to tour is a good thing as it will keep him active. I don't think making him more sedentary is the answer, as I don't think that will be good for his spirits. Just my feeling, and I could be wrong

I don't think it's wrong for Brian to keep doing shows. As long as he wants to do it and people are willing to pay, no worries. I just feel bad that he's struggling with the back stuff, and it's clearly bumming him out and changing the whole scene around him. My mother dealt with chronic pain, and it's horrendous. Part of me wonders if Brian shouldn't find some theater close to home and just do regular shows there, like Chuck Berry used to do in St. Louis. Or possibly just set up residencies at various places so he wouldn't have to travel as much.

Realistically, though, I would be surprised if there's much more sustained touring after this fall. And it's not just me saying that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: November 14, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »

The band has definitely put in time learning the material.

Have Brian and Al? Hmm.

We know Brian can handle "Little Saint Nick" just fine. Al has done both LSN and "Christmas Day" at a few solo gigs and also with Brian.

Luckily, the songs probably aren't going to sound as disorganized as stuff like "That's Why God Made the Radio" or "Sail Away" where there are three or more lead vocalists and all sorts of overlapping psuedo-lead (non-harmony) vocal parts.

It's relatively safe to assume Brian will sing LSN, and Al will take "Christmas Day." I think Brian or Al can handle the other Mike leads: "The Man With all the Toys", "Santa's Beard", and "Merry Christmas Baby." (On "Toys", it'll be interesting to see if they do the original BB album arrangement or the BW 2004 extended arrangement with harmonies replacing the solo falsetto part).

Dunno if they'd have to hand "Blue Christmas", "I'll Be Home for Christmas", and "White Christmas" to Rob or one of the other guys. Most of the other songs have doubled or unison or harmony-lead parts that the band can pull off.

Like something like "Our Prayer", I think it'll be Darian knocking into shape stuff like "We Three Kings..."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: November 14, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »

I don't think it's wrong for Brian to keep doing shows. As long as he wants to do it and people are willing to pay, no worries. I just feel bad that he's struggling with the back stuff, and it's clearly bumming him out and changing the whole scene around him. My mother dealt with chronic pain, and it's horrendous. Part of me wonders if Brian shouldn't find some theater close to home and just do regular shows there, like Chuck Berry used to do in St. Louis. Or possibly just set up residencies at various places so he wouldn't have to travel as much.

Realistically, though, I would be surprised if there's much more sustained touring after this fall. And it's not just me saying that.

I remember Howie Edelson laying out several years back how a Las Vegas residency for the BB reunion lineup would have been ideal for keeping the thing together and running smoothly. That'll obviously never happen anytime soon. Such a set up would potentially be good for Brian. But I don't know if there would be the same demand (from venues/promotes or ticket buyers) for a year-round or multi-month residency from Brian in Vegas.

But it's something they might be well-served to look into. Vegas would keep the show to 80-90 minutes, and a regular residency would allow them to slowly rotate around the setlist more and more. They could even rotate in special guests more. Al and Blondie would be obvious. But maybe work David Marks back in for select shows. Bring in both Jardine kids and/or the Wilson sisters. Kind of a revolving ongoing version of that Venetian show for PBS a few years back.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: November 14, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »

If band members concede that Brian's tired of Pet Sounds, then why the new June 2019 show? It's not like he can't get gigs without it.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #881 on: November 14, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

If band members concede that Brian's tired of Pet Sounds, then why the new June 2019 show? It's not like he can't get gigs without it.

Well, two of the three 2019 gigs announced so far (the Nashville gigs as I recall) are make-up dates for postponed shows from May of 2018.

Aside from that, I do think promoters and venues sometimes might pay more money and/or have more interest in a "Pet Sounds" show.

I don't know how they went about booking 2018 shows, but it appears as though they had three flavors being offered to promoters/bookers ("Greatest Hits" aka a "Regular" show, the PS shows, and then Xmas Album shows).

BigSound
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:57 PM »

I remember Howie Edelson laying out several years back how a Las Vegas residency for the BB reunion lineup would have been ideal for keeping the thing together and running smoothly. That'll obviously never happen anytime soon. Such a set up would potentially be good for Brian. But I don't know if there would be the same demand (from venues/promotes or ticket buyers) for a year-round or multi-month residency from Brian in Vegas.

But it's something they might be well-served to look into. Vegas would keep the show to 80-90 minutes, and a regular residency would allow them to slowly rotate around the setlist more and more. They could even rotate in special guests more. Al and Blondie would be obvious. But maybe work David Marks back in for select shows. Bring in both Jardine kids and/or the Wilson sisters. Kind of a revolving ongoing version of that Venetian show for PBS a few years back.

A way to get around the promotor question would be for Brian to have his own permanent venue a la Phil Lesh's Terrapin Station, which itself was based on Levon Helms's Midnight Rambles.  This is all pie in the sky to be sure, but a permanent venue that could become a tourist attraction, not far from Brian's home, and host similar acts when Brian, Al, et al. are not in residence.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 14, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »

Well, two of the three 2019 gigs announced so far (the Nashville gigs as I recall) are make-up dates for postponed shows from May of 2018.

Aside from that, I do think promoters and venues sometimes might pay more money and/or have more interest in a "Pet Sounds" show.

I don't know how they went about booking 2018 shows, but it appears as though they had three flavors being offered to promoters/bookers ("Greatest Hits" aka a "Regular" show, the PS shows, and then Xmas Album shows).

Yes, the two make-up dates are totally understandable, but getting paid more money for a show and/or booking more shows that Brian's disinterested in doesn't seem worth it to me. Based on recent reviews and band member conversations, perhaps they should change course?

BigSound
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 14, 2018, 02:34:06 PM »

One assumes that the demand and interest in Pet Sounds that was generated by the Love & Mercy biopic, as discussed in this 2016 Billboard article, continues into 2019.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7263743/brian-wilson-pet-sounds-tour
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »

Keeping in mind that one should never assume much when it comes to this stuff, and also that I haven't been super-closely watching the verbiage used on Brian's Facebook and other forums when it comes to promoting upcoming shows, this just recently posted about Brian's upcoming Toronto show has some tone of finality to it:

Toronto: See Brian at The Sony Centre next week on Nov 21 for his final Toronto performance. Brian, Al, Blondie & the Band will be playing Pet Sounds and greatest hits live for you, one last time.

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 14, 2018, 02:45:40 PM »

Keeping in mind that one should never assume much when it comes to this stuff, and also that I haven't been super-closely watching the verbiage used on Brian's Facebook and other forums when it comes to promoting upcoming shows, this just recently posted about Brian's upcoming Toronto show has some tone of finality to it:

Toronto: See Brian at The Sony Centre next week on Nov 21 for his final Toronto performance. Brian, Al, Blondie & the Band will be playing Pet Sounds and greatest hits live for you, one last time.

Oh, wow. Wasn't expecting that.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #887 on: November 14, 2018, 03:44:30 PM »

Now I'm sad

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 14, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »

Because that line hasn't been used during the Pet Sounds tour (2016-2019?) before...I'm thinking of our English fans in particular...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #889 on: November 14, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »

Previously it was stated along the lines of it being the last Pet Sounds performance in England. This one states it is the last performance of ANY kind in Toronto. Now if that ends up being the case or not, whatever, but not quite the same thing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 14, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »

Would love to see a show where Al, Blondie and Dave Marks front the band for about 30-40 minutes.. brief intermission.. then bring Brian out for an hour or so. Could be less taxing for him..
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #891 on: November 14, 2018, 07:57:48 PM »

That would actually be cool

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 14, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »

Perhaps ideally they would be doing a more spaced-out (timeline wise) tour schedule, doing one or two shows per week. This upcoming XMas tour has some runs of four shows in four nights. But I get it, I don't think financially they can just keep a band on retainer all year, traveling and/or waiting around, to do one or two shows per week.
It's an aggressive schedule they have coming up. A lot of shows and a lot of travel. Which is concerning given these recent reports re Brian. That said, the Xmas material is fun and the band should have fun doing it -- fingers crossed it gives him a bit of a lift.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #893 on: November 14, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »

I'd imagine it would.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 15, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »

Those are some really good questions and comments, HJ.

From band member conversations, I can say that yeah, he's just really tired of Pet Sounds. As far back as the first show of his I saw in 2000, he often would tear into hit songs or other up tempo material with more enthusiasm than the tricker PS songs.

I do think having him rest up offstage during the seven-song span from "Don't Worry Baby" to "Sail on Sailor" wouldn't be a bad idea, and you could add an instrumental like Pet Sounds in there. It would be one thing if Brian was playing and singing enthusiastic backgrounds, like he was on the C50 shows. While he does play keys now and then, I noticed that he wasn't single any backing vocals at all last night.

As for the Christmas album shows ... I think we should all stay tuned. They could be miraculous or the opposite.

Here's my take as someone who was at the show (who can't travel, but my wonderful guest from out-of-town has attended several on this tour), Brian is getting better and better both physically and vocally and I was impressed with how he performed. I didn't even notice his lack of interaction with the audience and I forget how important that is to people, since I'm used to his moods (as someone who was there during his worst time 78-81, other than the Landy period).  Maybe that impacted my leaving the show feeling good about it - actually great in a certain sense.  I think the physical therapist and his loving assistants, on top of the music and his amazing band, are quite healing for him.  My guest commented that he's consistently improved in health and voice on this tour. I found it quite enjoyable after seeing many shows beginning in 1964.

Brian's a strong fighter in addition to his talents, and has endured so much in life that might have taken many of us out of this world, so if this is what he wants now, it's fine with me. I feel this way particularly since the audience was so joyous, and my own back injury was helped by the music (I needed help out of the venue myself, but lasting that long was something of a miracle for me), so I suspect it works for him, too.  However he wishes to continue with his career, I respect. People always have the choice to buy tickets or not. The audience was really enthused and happy, so I trust his judgment when it comes to these things. I understand the loving fans' concerns about him, and it's up to him.

I obviously noticed that he wasn't particularly interested in singing the encores, but he did walk on and off for them (with assistance) - and then he killed it on Love & Mercy for the finale - friends and I have never seen him neglect that song, so maybe that was his plan.

Thx, Clay for noting that it's his choice to tour. He's not being "forced" to do so in any way. I'm afraid I expressed a lot of anger in the past here toward a few people insisting on that idea (insulting my friends and Brian in the process), when I knew they were being fed crap propaganda from people with an agenda. One person claimed privately to me that they knew "too many to mention" in Brian's management for info (Um, that would be Brian, Melinda and Jean Sievers, who didn't speak with this person, so...) In any case, as long as Brian is happy and the fans enjoy the shows, it works for me. I'll bite my tongue this time if one of those "in the know" people with "contacts" posts again. I've become much better at ignoring them, since no one around Brian gives a damn anymore about what they say, nor do I.

If someone can remind me how, I'll try to post some nice photos. They're already up on www.BrianWilson.com's tour comments page and Ang Jones's FB page "Brian Wilson Tour," so someone better at downloading them and posting them here would probably do a better job, or I'd be happy to send the JPEGs. You have permission. Just let me know.

My guess would be that since Brian is not only improving in health and voice, and he loves the Christmas songs, those of you going should get a treat.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: November 15, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »

Awesome to hear!

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 15, 2018, 05:39:42 PM »

Awesome to hear!

Thx, Billy. PM me if you want me to send you the JPEG photos of the show. Can I do that here? If not, I'll give you the email address I remember to answer and send them that way.
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 15, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »

Some recent uploads on YouTube from his Augusta show do show Brian walking a lot more and with only light assistance, which is a change from when I saw him just a week before. And they're doing encores now. So I don't doubt that being out and about and working on physical therapy is really helping! Thanks, Deb, for all you share, I've just joined the board but have read all your insights and appreciate your taking the time to offset wild rumors.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:57:06 PM by thelonelysea » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: November 15, 2018, 07:07:05 PM »

Awesome to hear!

Thx, Billy. PM me if you want me to send you the JPEG photos of the show. Can I do that here? If not, I'll give you the email address I remember to answer and send them that way.

Yes it’s more than ok ☺️

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 15, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »

Those are some really good questions and comments, HJ.

From band member conversations, I can say that yeah, he's just really tired of Pet Sounds. As far back as the first show of his I saw in 2000, he often would tear into hit songs or other up tempo material with more enthusiasm than the tricker PS songs.

I do think having him rest up offstage during the seven-song span from "Don't Worry Baby" to "Sail on Sailor" wouldn't be a bad idea, and you could add an instrumental like Pet Sounds in there. It would be one thing if Brian was playing and singing enthusiastic backgrounds, like he was on the C50 shows. While he does play keys now and then, I noticed that he wasn't single any backing vocals at all last night.

As for the Christmas album shows ... I think we should all stay tuned. They could be miraculous or the opposite.

Here's my take as someone who was at the show (who can't travel, but my wonderful guest from out-of-town has attended several on this tour), Brian is getting better and better both physically and vocally and I was impressed with how he performed. I didn't even notice his lack of interaction with the audience and I forget how important that is to people, since I'm used to his moods (as someone who was there during his worst time 78-81, other than the Landy period).  Maybe that impacted my leaving the show feeling good about it - actually great in a certain sense.  I think the physical therapist and his loving assistants, on top of the music and his amazing band, are quite healing for him.  My guest commented that he's consistently improved in health and voice on this tour. I found it quite enjoyable after seeing many shows beginning in 1964.

Brian's a strong fighter in addition to his talents, and has endured so much in life that might have taken many of us out of this world, so if this is what he wants now, it's fine with me. I feel this way particularly since the audience was so joyous, and my own back injury was helped by the music (I needed help out of the venue myself, but lasting that long was something of a miracle for me), so I suspect it works for him, too.  However he wishes to continue with his career, I respect. People always have the choice to buy tickets or not. The audience was really enthused and happy, so I trust his judgment when it comes to these things. I understand the loving fans' concerns about him, and it's up to him.

I obviously noticed that he wasn't particularly interested in singing the encores, but he did walk on and off for them (with assistance) - and then he killed it on Love & Mercy for the finale - friends and I have never seen him neglect that song, so maybe that was his plan.

Thx, Clay for noting that it's his choice to tour. He's not being "forced" to do so in any way. I'm afraid I expressed a lot of anger in the past here toward a few people insisting on that idea (insulting my friends and Brian in the process), when I knew they were being fed crap propaganda from people with an agenda. One person claimed privately to me that they knew "too many to mention" in Brian's management for info (Um, that would be Brian, Melinda and Jean Sievers, who didn't speak with this person, so...) In any case, as long as Brian is happy and the fans enjoy the shows, it works for me. I'll bite my tongue this time if one of those "in the know" people with "contacts" posts again. I've become much better at ignoring them, since no one around Brian gives a damn anymore about what they say, nor do I.

If someone can remind me how, I'll try to post some nice photos. They're already up on www.BrianWilson.com's tour comments page and Ang Jones's FB page "Brian Wilson Tour," so someone better at downloading them and posting them here would probably do a better job, or I'd be happy to send the JPEGs. You have permission. Just let me know.

My guess would be that since Brian is not only improving in health and voice, and he loves the Christmas songs, those of you going should get a treat.

Such a great post, Deb. Thanks for sharing your incredible insight. You are a treasure!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx