gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272440 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #725 on: August 08, 2018, 09:53:29 PM »

We all love Brian. But retire already.

If he doesn’t want to and this is something he wants to do then I say go for it . He’s earned that and then some.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 08, 2018, 11:28:46 PM »

Exactly. Maybe his band - with Al, Blondie, Matt, etc - could continue to tour as "an Evening of the music of Brian Wilson" or something like that, cause it sounds like they are doing a great job. But Brian? This thing is getting harder for him every year. I remember some of the reports from C50, about how Brian's back was bothering him, and I really wished he did not have to do this any more. The whole world should know by now that Brian Wilson is a genius; touring PS and GH year after year isn't necessary. I always thought Brian Wilson was supposed to be about CREATING music, not being a traveling jukebox. If people want the latter, Mike will always be out there, playing the greatest hits. Although strangely, Mike has more new songs in his show now than Brian does.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: August 09, 2018, 01:04:30 AM »

What if he legit wants to tour and would be bored otherwise?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 09, 2018, 04:12:26 AM »

It's Brian's decision. The only decision we can make is not to go to the shows if we don't want to see them.

As for Brian wishing he didn't have to do this any more during the C50, Brian was one of the Beach Boys who was prepared to continue with the reunion. I won't go further into that on this thread but there are plenty of interesting posts on the subject in the 'Everybody back together' thread. I particularly enjoyed Hey Jude's,  Guitarfool's and Billy's comments which IMO logically demolished some of the  things we have been told previously.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 09, 2018, 05:30:50 AM »

I really wished he did not have to do this any more. The whole world should know by now that Brian Wilson is a genius; touring PS and GH year after year isn't necessary. I always thought Brian Wilson was supposed to be about CREATING music, not being a traveling jukebox.

He didn’t, and doesn’t, have to tour. But he apparently has chosen to tour. So we get to go or not go.

The whole (musical) world DOES know he’s a genius. Touring PS or GH ISN’T necessary. But what has necessary got to do with anything?

What you, or I, or anyone “always thought Brian Wilson was supposed to be about” could not be less relevant. He has created great music. He has played “jukebox” shows. Apparently he’s about both of those things, and plenty more besides. One thing he certainly does not need “to be about” is trying to live out some platonic ideals that message board fans have imagined for him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 09, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »

While my personal preference is and would be for Brian to spend weeks in a studio, just playing piano and singing lead vocals on anything and evrrything he likes, of course I must accept HIS preference to tour
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: August 09, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »

These last two posts...you guys get it. Throughout Brian’s life people have always had expectations of what they wanted Brian tone and what to do...with little to no regard for what he actually wants. When it doesn’t match what “we” want, we complain that he’s being “controlled “. Honestly, if I had a preference, he’d be in the studio right now working on another great collection of songs. Instead he’s touring a great collection of songs, and that’s ok too. I’m just happy he’s out there doing what he’s doing.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 09, 2018, 09:13:18 AM »

For the record (and as I’ve probably said 1,000 times in my almost 20 years of BBs-related message-boarding), I’m also in favor of new studio work above anything else. The touring has had its high points—what great bands he’s had!—but it’s not what I like best about him.

But it’s what he wants to do. And it’s where the money is in the current music world. That’s life.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 09, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »

Exactly. Maybe his band - with Al, Blondie, Matt, etc - could continue to tour as "an Evening of the music of Brian Wilson" or something like that, cause it sounds like they are doing a great job. But Brian? This thing is getting harder for him every year. I remember some of the reports from C50, about how Brian's back was bothering him, and I really wished he did not have to do this any more. The whole world should know by now that Brian Wilson is a genius; touring PS and GH year after year isn't necessary. I always thought Brian Wilson was supposed to be about CREATING music, not being a traveling jukebox. If people want the latter, Mike will always be out there, playing the greatest hits. Although strangely, Mike has more new songs in his show now than Brian does.

I would gladly listen to almost anything in the B.B. catalog instead of Mikes solo tracks
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:21 AM »

What I find funny in a way is that as recent as this week with Brian's show in Israel, he gives interviews where he says he enjoys bringing his music to his fans, and enjoys the audiences' reacting to the music...and any variations of those same sentiments are what he's been saying in interviews related to his tours. Yet there are still doubters out there about what he wants to do, or even taking the idea of him not really wanting to be doing this to some pretty far extremes. And people suggesting he should retire, "oh poor, dear Brian, he's too ill to do all this touring...", all of that blah blah blah.

Some people either don't get it, or would rather believe what they want to believe versus what the man actually says and what he's been doing. Aside from any previous agendas, that is.

Fans are going to these shows, and coming away with overall positive experiences. Brian says he enjoys bringing the music to his fans.

Is it any more simple than that?

It's as if some people out there don't want him to tour at all. Well, I guess that's no surprise.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: August 09, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »

I guess I end up having to post something like this just about every time Brian tours.

I think it's sometimes justifiable, given Brian's stage demeanor at some shows over the years, for fans to be concerned and/or wonder if Brian should be touring. No, we shouldn't try to force our only partially-informed (at best) opinions. But especially a new fan who doesn't know Brian's deal wondering out loud if he really should be out here, is not totally out of line.

The problem is that this has been going on for now almost literally 20 years. Yes, as has been said in the past, Brian has some bad nights and at times his shows over the years did veer into "Weekend at Bernie's" territory.

But nothing much in this regard has changed over all these years. His back is in recovery; that's the main difference. Otherwise, it's all pretty similar. He actually has a bigger support system on stage now (both musically and in general) with Matt and Al in addition to Darian and the other guys. He still has good nights and bad nights. He says in interviews he wants to tour. Do I think it's possible, much as we *all* have moments where we're apprehensive about doing something and need some motivation to do it, that Brian has moments where he'd rather not be touring? Probably.

But I hate to harp on the idea of what an educated fan should know, but really, any fan who has followed this stuff should know Brian's deal. It hasn't drastically changed.

Further, in listening to a number of fans/insiders/associates, it also appears clear that when Brian *actually* really doesn't want to do something, he doesn't do it. He'll make it clear, even if more by action (or inaction) rather than calling a meeting and saying "I don't want to do this", when he doesn't want to do something.

Maybe Brian shouldn't be out there touring, I dunno. But he wouldn't be doing it if he truly didn't want to be. And for all we know, and Mike Love being fit is actually pretty good anecdotal evidence, staying active and out there touring is good for Brian.

I can only guess the back surgery thing was not an ideal situation this year and they're striking the best balance they can.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 09, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »

I guess my views are still influenced, all these years later, by my introduction to The Brian Wilson Story: David Leaf's wonderful biography of Brian and his band, originally published in 1978. One of Leaf's main points in the later chapters of the book was how the group thought it necessary to drag Brian out on tour with them so everyone could see the genius in person. Leaf believed that Brian was absolutely terrified most of the time during those shows, would have preferred to be ANYWHERE but on stage in front of all those people. Leaf  believed that Brian was much more at home in the studio, and that's where he should have been, creating more masterpieces.
And then I read the comments here from people talking about how he was carried to the stage, or used a walker; how he is clearly bored doing the Pet Sounds material. I think about how the tours go on, year after year, and it's the same old songs every time, it's become a Beach Boys Greatest Hits show; he might do a new album someday, as he did 4 - 4? - years ago with No Pier Pressure, but those songs won't figure in the show for very long. Yeah, I do question "is Brian really happy doing this?" And if he's not happy doing that, is he going to say that publicly? What would the consequences be of admitting "yeah, my heart's not really in this anymore, but the band needs to work, Al needs to work, and Melinda wants me to work....so on the road I go".
Some take my comments to be ANTI-Brian. Nothing could be further from the truth. Brian's old enough to be my dad, and I watch my own dad, slowing down a little, year after year, and I know he could not keep up that kind of schedule today. And he is happily retired. He's glad he doesn't have to get up at 6 am every day to go to work. He can take his time getting going in the morning, drink some coffee, look at the morning paper, help mom around the house, work in the yard, watch some tv. He worked hard for many, many years - I haven't met anyone who worked harder than my dad did.
I hope someday Brian gets to retire, sit back, relax, take pride in his accomplishments, relieved of the pressure to do another show, write another hit, be the Brian the whole world still wants him to be.
That's all.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 09, 2018, 09:04:56 PM »

I would gladly listen to almost anything in the B.B. catalog instead of Mikes solo tracks
Of course, because Mike is a doofus that can't do anything right. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the man is still creating new music, and playing it in his shows. I don't expect it to be California Girls quality.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 10, 2018, 04:46:49 AM »

No they just aren’t that good .  I’ve heard Cool Head Warm Heart and Pisces Brothers plenty of times . I just don’t like them as I don’t care for many of Brian’s . The fact that Mike is playing that many solo songs in his set stinks in my mind when there are so many other great songs he could do .
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:19 AM »

Of course, because Mike is a doofus that can't do anything right. Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the man is still creating new music, and playing it in his shows. I don't expect it to be California Girls quality.

Mike has produced some perfectly acceptable material in the generally "solo" arena. "Almost Summer" is a catchy track. Some bits and pieces of "Looking Back With Love" are listenable, kind of like "MIU Album" type material without the other BBs. Same with some bits of the unreleased "First Love."

The compilation from circa 2004 of Mike's then-in-progress solo material was not bad at all, probably the best collection of his solo stuff.

I don't think it's a bad thing that Mike is recording studio material (and it's understandable that it's relatively rare; as Mike himself has said he finds studio work to be tedious). The problem with "Unleash the Love" is that it's probably the worst-sounding production in the BB and BB-related catalog. The autotune is really the most distracting I've ever heard, certainly on any BB-related product. Makes TWGMTR and even the C50 live album sound organic in comparison.

I also think the track selection was largely uninspired, with too many remakes and too many mediocre tracks. The best *compositions* on "Unleash...." are the tracks that had already been heard on that circa 2004 compilation, and that 2004 compilation had FAR better sounding performances/mixes free of any or at least any egregious use of autotune. I'm not even a huge fan of Christian Love's singing, but Mike should have retained Christian's leads from that 2004 collection instead of re-recording them himself.

Not sure what happened between the mid-2000s and 2017, because the stuff Mike had put together circa 2004 was not too shabby overall. His solo track on the 2006 "Songs from Here and Back" CD, "Cool Head, Warm Heart" (pulled from that 2004 collection), was the best of the three solo tracks on that CD. (And, not surprisingly, as the one track on "Unleash..." left relatively unscathed from its 2004 iteration, "Cool Head..." is the one track that still sounds okay).

But yeah, being re-exposed to "Unleash" on the SiriusXM channel, it's really, really bad. Foskett's falsettos are so autotuned it starts to sound like a Moog.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

Anyone know why Nelson is not on this tour, and who is taking his place on percussion?  Sorry if I missed the discussion

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 13, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »

Anyone know why Nelson is not on this tour, and who is taking his place on percussion?  Sorry if I missed the discussion

Guy named Jim Laspesa who knows Darian and the other band guys well. He’s on Facebook. Nelson isn’t on FB anymore; no idea what happened to him.

Edit: Name corrected.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:53:36 AM by Wirestone » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 14, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »

Thanks

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 14, 2018, 10:20:21 AM »

Anyone know why Nelson is not on this tour, and who is taking his place on percussion?  Sorry if I missed the discussion

Guy named Jim Lasesa who knows Darian and the other band guys well. He’s on Facebook. Nelson isn’t on FB anymore; no idea what happened to him.
Yeah, he's still playing his own shows though. He's doing his thing.

PS. It's Jim Laspesa Grin
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:21:53 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: August 14, 2018, 10:43:42 AM »

Guy named Jim Lasesa who knows Darian and the other band guys well. He’s on Facebook. Nelson isn’t on FB anymore; no idea what happened to him.
Yeah, he's still playing his own shows though. He's doing his thing.

PS. It's Jim Laspesa Grin

Yeah, seems he is touring the UK for the next few weeks http://nelsonbragg.com/tour/

Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 16, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »

I hope someday Brian gets to retire, sit back, relax, take pride in his accomplishments, relieved of the pressure to do another show, write another hit, be the Brian the whole world still wants him to be.
I said this in the thread discussing Mike Nesmith's recent heart surgery and decision to continue his plans to tour in the fall...retirement is not a thing for someone like Brian.  Brian has never worked a 9-to-5 job.  He goes out on tour for a few weeks at a time, then is back home.  Not saying that touring is always easy, but it sure ain't breaking bricks in the hot sun.  Brian has a lot of time to be at home and do what he wants to do.  There's no daily grind that he needs to hang up and retire from.   A man needs a reason to get up in the morning, and not everyone just wants to lie around all day - that's how you end up dead. 

Further, in listening to a number of fans/insiders/associates, it also appears clear that when Brian *actually* really doesn't want to do something, he doesn't do it. He'll make it clear, even if more by action (or inaction) rather than calling a meeting and saying "I don't want to do this", when he doesn't want to do something.
Exactly.  And in almost 20 years of going out on the road solo, Brian has never not done a show.  He never cancelled because the vibes were bad.  Only a handful of shows have been cancelled, and most were because of other circumstances and not because Brian refused to perform.  If he really didn't want to tour, he would have either curled up in a ball pulled a disappearing act or done something really embarrassing.  If he's out there, it's because he wants to be out there.  I've never seen evidence to the contrary.

Look at all of the crap Brian has survived in his life.  That man is stronger than any of us can imagine.  Yet there are fans who insist that he is weak, easily manipulated, taken advantage of, and being forced to do whatever.  I don't get it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:18:26 PM by Margarita » Logged

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 17, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »

Anybody want to start a BW 2019 tour thread? Just announced on Brian's website and social media:

"Brian’s rescheduled Nashville shows from earlier this year have been rescheduled for June 20-21 2019! Tickets on sale Friday, August 24 at 10:00AM EST! More info and seating: https://www.nashvillesymphony.org/BrianWilson"

And it's listed as a Pet Sounds show...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 17, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »

Good Lord...The Final Performances of Pet Sounds from 2016-2019...how weird...but how totally Beach Boys.

Also, I'd say this clears up any speculation on a full reunion for Glastonbury!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: August 17, 2018, 09:30:10 AM »

Good Lord...The Final Performances of Pet Sounds from 2016-2019...how weird...but how totally Beach Boys.

Also, I'd say this clears up any speculation on a full reunion for Glastonbury!

To be fair, the two 2019 dates are make-up dates from 2018. I don't think we'll necessarily see a ton of PS dates in 2019.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: August 17, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »

Anybody want to start a BW 2019 tour thread? Just announced on Brian's website and social media:

"Brian’s rescheduled Nashville shows from earlier this year have been rescheduled for June 20-21 2019! Tickets on sale Friday, August 24 at 10:00AM EST! More info and seating: https://www.nashvillesymphony.org/BrianWilson"

And it's listed as a Pet Sounds show...

I've started a 2019 tour thread here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26082.0.html

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx