gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:06:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272528 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2017, 06:43:47 AM »

Happy Holidays to all. Has Brian ever sung HCTN live? Any sessions or takes?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2017, 09:12:01 AM »

Regarding the thing about the threats. ..they're in the sandbox thread where his ban was announced. Told Cohen he was going to track him down and burn his house down. Told me (in a pm I never read at the time) that he found where Ang Jones lives and not to be surprised if she "disappeared ". Just two examples.

I'm the one who made the comment about Doe being on the payroll as a way of needling him for getting his freebies, comped tickets,  and such,  although I do not know if he got paid in cash for his "assistance"....he was not the one I was referring to above as I have no idea of he himself is on a retainer.

I'm still standing as someone once sang! :-)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

Regarding the thing about the threats. ..they're in the sandbox thread where his ban was announced. Told Cohen he was going to track him down and burn his house down. Told me (in a pm I never read at the time) that he found where Ang Jones lives and not to be surprised if she "disappeared ". Just two examples.

I'm the one who made the comment about Doe being on the payroll as a way of needling him for getting his freebies, comped tickets,  and such,  although I do not know if he got paid in cash for his "assistance"....he was not the one I was referring to above as I have no idea of he himself is on a retainer.

And we're happy that you are Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

I'm the one who made the comment about Doe being on the payroll as a way of needling him for getting his freebies, comped tickets,  and such,  although I do not know if he got paid in cash for his "assistance"....he was not the one I was referring to above as I have no idea of he himself is on a retainer.

I second that!  Smiley  Still standing indeed!

And I'll add that as long as this board and the BW board will exist, those idiots who went after good people, regular posters, and fans like Ang on these boards will always be banned for life. No matter what aliases they try to reappear as, they'll be banned again. No matter who their friends are or how much "knowledge" they claim to possess or what aliases they use to try to sneak back, they're not welcome.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »

And I'll add that as long as this board and the BW board will exist, those idiots who went after good people, regular posters, and fans like Ang on these boards will always be banned for life. No matter what aliases they try to reappear as, they'll be banned again. No matter who their friends are or how much "knowledge" they claim to possess or what aliases they use to try to sneak back, they're not welcome.

Thanks Billy and Guitarfool! Your support of myself and anyone else who was/is bullied on this board and Brian's own MB is exemplary.  I believe I know why AGD made this particular comment about me. He had been posting about a birthday message that had been flashed up at one of M&B's shows for a lady with whom I have no problems whatsoever.  He was posting about it because he had arranged it - the usual self-aggrandisement which is why I responded with a post about the time Brian and his band had actually sung Happy Birthday to a fan in Gateshead. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so catty - no offence whatsoever to the recipient of M&B's message. Had this been a solitary incident perhaps I'd have risen above it. I'm not scared of Andrew. But I know of several people who have been put off posting because of fear of being - not disappeared perhaps but certainly demeaned.

But it's Christmas. Time to be grateful for all the good people who post here out of love of the music and a wish to learn more about it and the people responsible for creating and performing it. This place can and hopefully will continue to survive the loss of those who try to turn it into something less pleasant. Merry Christmas Smiley Smilers - or whatever celebration it is for you. For all of us it's a celebration of some beautiful music.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

To "mikedonn" :

The explanation about getting "chance after chance" has been addressed multiple times including today, which I agree with and experienced too. It's unfortunately a fact of life that people can get taken in by con-artists and people with deeper agendas than expected as happened here until the lid was blown off and it was exposed. So that is and has been a done deal.

If you take issue with me including all UK fans in my calling out of a few rotten apples in the bunch, I'd urge you to read exactly what I wrote and see where I said nothing of the sort. I never would say all fans of any particular region or area were anything other than fans. It just so happened a particular group who happened to be from the UK could be counted on for the most consistently negative comments and complaints whenever the BW crew announced something related to a tour, across multiple forums and boards. I've been following these forums for a very long time, and in the past 5 years that kind of knee-jerk criticism became more consistent and obvious than the previous calls for Brian to hang it up, quit the road, "we're worried our dear Brian is on the road too much!", all that garbage.  Funny how Brian doing just that and quitting the road over a decade ago may have benefited one specific entity licensed through BRI, but I'll leave it at that.

Also, if you have some proof of me saying anyone was "on the payroll", please point me to where I said that too because I don't believe I've ever made that claim here or elsewhere, whether or not it's true in some cases. Meanwhile I've been challenged on who I did or didn't share a drink with in 2015, speak with at concerts, etc. and have had blatant lies told about me or things I did or didn't do. I guess that's OK, Mike, since you don't seem to take issue with that level of scrutiny?

Again, the fair shot is there and the door is open if it can be found in my words that I was referring to *ALL* UK fans. Because I was not as my post here shows, it is simply wrong to try to paint it like I did and respond as if I did, but it's part and parcel of how a group of posters who seem to be aligned with guys like Doe have acted for years. If there is no case to be made to challenge or impugn someone they disagree with or want to see trashed in general, just make sh*t up and run with it. Then spread the word and find gullible fans to believe it. Just like fans were contacted and expected to believe lies that reached into personal lives and even the adoptions of band members' children and their marriages. Mike, I'll let you decide if that's appropriate for historians and self-proclaimed "experts" to engage in via fan forums. We did not think it was and took action. It's gone elsewhere.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for clearing that up.  Now I know you were referring to only a handful of UK fans.  Regarding the payroll claim.  I'm not going to spend time on Christmas Eve trying to find it but you have certainly alluded to Doe and maybe Cam Mott being on the payroll. Maybe someone else might know where to find the quotes?

I don't think threats, etc are acceptable anywhere.  We'll have to take your word this stuff happened because we don't have the PMs.  I also don't find personal insults to be acceptable, you seem to and do it often against people.  Maybe you have your reasons but you need to let it go at some point.  When those posters left here you should have ignored them and stopped referring to them here.  That makes you no better than anyone else if you don't rise above it. 

You like evidence?  Show me evidence that posters were saying Brian should quit the road in 1999?  He hadn't even toured the UK by then.  I also don't think those group of UK fans you refer to would have preferred to have Mike tour and make money before Brian since they were getting backstage passes to Brian's shows and access to band members etc.  Brian gigs were also cooler to be at than Mike gigs.  Why would anyone want to jeopardise that? It doesn't make sense.

As for who you hang out with at concerts it's your business.  Except when people may feel you are taking sides.  Personally I don't care as it is all petty stuff.  You seem to hate Mike Love more than Brian Wilson does.  Brian might not hate Mike at all, unless you've heard he does from an insider?  Have you met Mike personally?  I don't think Mike is worth getting worked up about.  He can try all he wants to rewrite history but it ain't gonna happen.  You should take solace in that and move on.  Brian doesn't need anyone to fight his battles.  The audience on here is so small as to not make much difference to perceptions the public at large already have.  Raise a glass to that over the festive season!

As Billy said, we do have the info you're questioning, the relevant info was posted already, and some that were too personal were deliberately left off the public view but the involved parties were informed where appropriate. Anyone who doubts any of this, it's already been in the open for over a year now. Unfortunately I think the original file host went belly-up in the meantime or has changed platforms, so a lot of uploaded photos besides those in question are not readable in posts as they had been. But they can be re-upped.

Maybe some other long-term posters and members can reach into their better memory banks for the examples of Brian's touring coming into question, because I know I've been reading such comments for a very long time but cannot recall each instance or post going back 15 years or so.  Grin

I would suggest if you want to see one prime example that wasn't even on the boards but in a court of law, read through the 2005 lawsuit Mike filed (and eventually lost including all appeals) against Brian, Melinda, David Leaf, et al and you'll see comments about the quality of Brian's live shows being sub-par, how Brian's mental issues hampered the shows and harmed the "brand" for which Mike was the torch-bearer (according to the suit), how Al "bastardized" the brand name, and all kinds of nice (sarcasm, there...) comments from Mike. And at the time of that filing, the Smile tour was the tour of note, the one which garnered rave reviews from all corners and which Rolling Stone just named one of the best tours in rock history...but apparently Mike thought otherwise and put his negative opinions and criticisms of that and other BW tours into the public record through the court system. And it's funny how the fan-forum criticisms I've cited seemed to follow that lawsuit apart from whatever existed before, about BW and the tours. So there's that, too.

I have also never charged Doe or Mott with being on the payroll in any posts I can recall. Just like I never accused Jim Hirsch of plagiarism, even though several posters took to other forums accusing me of that. But like I said, it's been a case for years where if the facts don't fit the goal, just make sh*t up and run with it. The best part about having and knowing the actual truth is there is no substitute.

So Mike, if anything like the things you cited are in doubt, just ask. You'll get the real story and the facts from me, and from Billy, instead of reading and believing whatever crap and lies have been posted on the PS forum, the Hoffman board, Facebook groups, etc.

And above all, my best wishes for a Merry Christmas!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2017, 11:33:48 AM »

Thanks Billy and Guitarfool! Your support of myself and anyone else who was/is bullied on this board and Brian's own MB is exemplary.  I believe I know why AGD made this particular comment about me. He had been posting about a birthday message that had been flashed up at one of M&B's shows for a lady with whom I have no problems whatsoever.  He was posting about it because he had arranged it - the usual self-aggrandisement which is why I responded with a post about the time Brian and his band had actually sung Happy Birthday to a fan in Gateshead. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so catty - no offence whatsoever to the recipient of M&B's message. Had this been a solitary incident perhaps I'd have risen above it. I'm not scared of Andrew. But I know of several people who have been put off posting because of fear of being - not disappeared perhaps but certainly demeaned.

But it's Christmas. Time to be grateful for all the good people who post here out of love of the music and a wish to learn more about it and the people responsible for creating and performing it. This place can and hopefully will continue to survive the loss of those who try to turn it into something less pleasant. Merry Christmas Smiley Smilers - or whatever celebration it is for you. For all of us it's a celebration of some beautiful music.

Cheers, Ang! And Merry Christmas!  Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: December 25, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »

To "mikedonn" :

The explanation about getting "chance after chance" has been addressed multiple times including today, which I agree with and experienced too. It's unfortunately a fact of life that people can get taken in by con-artists and people with deeper agendas than expected as happened here until the lid was blown off and it was exposed. So that is and has been a done deal.

If you take issue with me including all UK fans in my calling out of a few rotten apples in the bunch, I'd urge you to read exactly what I wrote and see where I said nothing of the sort. I never would say all fans of any particular region or area were anything other than fans. It just so happened a particular group who happened to be from the UK could be counted on for the most consistently negative comments and complaints whenever the BW crew announced something related to a tour, across multiple forums and boards. I've been following these forums for a very long time, and in the past 5 years that kind of knee-jerk criticism became more consistent and obvious than the previous calls for Brian to hang it up, quit the road, "we're worried our dear Brian is on the road too much!", all that garbage.  Funny how Brian doing just that and quitting the road over a decade ago may have benefited one specific entity licensed through BRI, but I'll leave it at that.

Also, if you have some proof of me saying anyone was "on the payroll", please point me to where I said that too because I don't believe I've ever made that claim here or elsewhere, whether or not it's true in some cases. Meanwhile I've been challenged on who I did or didn't share a drink with in 2015, speak with at concerts, etc. and have had blatant lies told about me or things I did or didn't do. I guess that's OK, Mike, since you don't seem to take issue with that level of scrutiny?

Again, the fair shot is there and the door is open if it can be found in my words that I was referring to *ALL* UK fans. Because I was not as my post here shows, it is simply wrong to try to paint it like I did and respond as if I did, but it's part and parcel of how a group of posters who seem to be aligned with guys like Doe have acted for years. If there is no case to be made to challenge or impugn someone they disagree with or want to see trashed in general, just make sh*t up and run with it. Then spread the word and find gullible fans to believe it. Just like fans were contacted and expected to believe lies that reached into personal lives and even the adoptions of band members' children and their marriages. Mike, I'll let you decide if that's appropriate for historians and self-proclaimed "experts" to engage in via fan forums. We did not think it was and took action. It's gone elsewhere.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for clearing that up.  Now I know you were referring to only a handful of UK fans.  Regarding the payroll claim.  I'm not going to spend time on Christmas Eve trying to find it but you have certainly alluded to Doe and maybe Cam Mott being on the payroll. Maybe someone else might know where to find the quotes?

I don't think threats, etc are acceptable anywhere.  We'll have to take your word this stuff happened because we don't have the PMs.  I also don't find personal insults to be acceptable, you seem to and do it often against people.  Maybe you have your reasons but you need to let it go at some point.  When those posters left here you should have ignored them and stopped referring to them here.  That makes you no better than anyone else if you don't rise above it. 

You like evidence?  Show me evidence that posters were saying Brian should quit the road in 1999?  He hadn't even toured the UK by then.  I also don't think those group of UK fans you refer to would have preferred to have Mike tour and make money before Brian since they were getting backstage passes to Brian's shows and access to band members etc.  Brian gigs were also cooler to be at than Mike gigs.  Why would anyone want to jeopardise that? It doesn't make sense.

As for who you hang out with at concerts it's your business.  Except when people may feel you are taking sides.  Personally I don't care as it is all petty stuff.  You seem to hate Mike Love more than Brian Wilson does.  Brian might not hate Mike at all, unless you've heard he does from an insider?  Have you met Mike personally?  I don't think Mike is worth getting worked up about.  He can try all he wants to rewrite history but it ain't gonna happen.  You should take solace in that and move on.  Brian doesn't need anyone to fight his battles.  The audience on here is so small as to not make much difference to perceptions the public at large already have.  Raise a glass to that over the festive season!

As Billy said, we do have the info you're questioning, the relevant info was posted already, and some that were too personal were deliberately left off the public view but the involved parties were informed where appropriate. Anyone who doubts any of this, it's already been in the open for over a year now. Unfortunately I think the original file host went belly-up in the meantime or has changed platforms, so a lot of uploaded photos besides those in question are not readable in posts as they had been. But they can be re-upped.

Maybe some other long-term posters and members can reach into their better memory banks for the examples of Brian's touring coming into question, because I know I've been reading such comments for a very long time but cannot recall each instance or post going back 15 years or so.  Grin

I would suggest if you want to see one prime example that wasn't even on the boards but in a court of law, read through the 2005 lawsuit Mike filed (and eventually lost including all appeals) against Brian, Melinda, David Leaf, et al and you'll see comments about the quality of Brian's live shows being sub-par, how Brian's mental issues hampered the shows and harmed the "brand" for which Mike was the torch-bearer (according to the suit), how Al "bastardized" the brand name, and all kinds of nice (sarcasm, there...) comments from Mike. And at the time of that filing, the Smile tour was the tour of note, the one which garnered rave reviews from all corners and which Rolling Stone just named one of the best tours in rock history...but apparently Mike thought otherwise and put his negative opinions and criticisms of that and other BW tours into the public record through the court system. And it's funny how the fan-forum criticisms I've cited seemed to follow that lawsuit apart from whatever existed before, about BW and the tours. So there's that, too.

I have also never charged Doe or Mott with being on the payroll in any posts I can recall. Just like I never accused Jim Hirsch of plagiarism, even though several posters took to other forums accusing me of that. But like I said, it's been a case for years where if the facts don't fit the goal, just make sh*t up and run with it. The best part about having and knowing the actual truth is there is no substitute.

So Mike, if anything like the things you cited are in doubt, just ask. You'll get the real story and the facts from me, and from Billy, instead of reading and believing whatever crap and lies have been posted on the PS forum, the Hoffman board, Facebook groups, etc.

And above all, my best wishes for a Merry Christmas!

I still have everything saved to my hard drive with back ups.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »

The closest you'll get is this soundcheck:

https://youtu.be/1d-k31-sn-s?t=2m9s

Brian sits down at the piano at about 2:09, bangs out some lines of Don't Worry Baby and a little bit of Here Comes the Night, which he discusses with Al. He looks so damn relaxed here, he was definitely having a good day.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:01:07 PM by Uncle Walter » Logged
sensiblechuckle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 25, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »

Brian sits down at the piano at about 2:09, bangs out some lines of Don't Worry Baby and a little bit of Here Comes the Night, which he discusses with Al. He looks so damn relaxed here, he was definitely having a good day.

I like immediately after that, where they talk about the LA Light Album disco version and Al tenses up.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2017, 11:36:43 PM »

I got a huge crack over that...the look on Al's face is epic.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: December 26, 2017, 09:10:08 AM »

Brian sounded great on that little bit of HCTN; I was hoping he might work that one up for the live show. He still could, of course.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 26, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »

I did see this not too long ago but thanks for that. By the sound of Brian doing that bit, I think they ought to include it. It's also my favorite from WH.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 26, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »

Not to sound like a stick in the mud, but is anyone else slightly annoyed that these Pet Sounds dates are still happening? They've been saying it's the "final" performances for the last two years, when it's obvious that these aren't the final performances of PS.

It's fantastic Brian and his band are still touring, but saying that it's a "final" performance of Pet Sounds for the past two years creates a false sense of urgency to concertgoers — esp. since he's coming back to the same cities.

I feel the same way. The late 2016 shows were billed as "final", then the tour was extended a full year, appearing in many of the same cities. I really believed that 2017 would be the end of the tour. But then the VERY next tour is ANOTHER Pet Sounds tour??? I love Pet Sounds, and I love Brian's shows, but he really seemed bored at the 2017 show I attended. I'm grateful for any tour, but I think that both Brian and his fans would enjoy something new. Maybe even another Smile tour.

My feelings exactly.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 26, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

The brand will indeed almost surely be licensed in some form or another. I don't know if we'd see Totten still doing it 30 years from now. I don't know his exact age, but I'd have to imagine he's nearing 50 right now.

Based on a variety of factors and pieces of information, I think Foskett could well be angling for the license once Mike is done.

just don't let it be Mark McGrath.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 26, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »

That is one of my favorite Brian/Al moments ever. The look of horror on both of their faces discussing the disco version and the NOOOOOO
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: December 26, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »

LOL

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 27, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »

Wow - look at all I missed over the Holiday!

I think most of us with a certain perspective never asked for freebies in exchange for commentary on any MB, nor anywhere else - because we understood the idea of quid-pro-quo and didn't want to be involved in that. We enjoyed buying the tickets in support of people we love, and wanted to honestly answer that we were there for the joy and could state under oath that there was no "pay-back".  There were others of Brian's friends who were invited backstage, etc. because Brian loved them and it was a great thing for them to be there for support before and after shows - he considers many friends as part of his family.

One might wonder if there were exchanges from one-time BW band member(s) and certain fans.  I'm making no claims.  There was just an odd pattern of supporting Brian by certain fans, then trashing him when the source of the goodies seems to have dried up.  It could mean nothing, but other fans seem to continue to support the BW band without those certain advantages and continue to love the shows.

I haven't a clue what any BB (licensed) band loyalists might have been offered or given - or not. Again, happily, I have no idea, and never will.  Maybe they purely visit Klub Kokomo out of love.  I have no association whatsoever.

As far as the attacks on Ang and Craig over the years, I know the people who give so, so much and ask nothing.  That's why I pay attention to what they say, while not so much, others.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 27, 2017, 05:34:13 PM »

That is one of my favorite Brian/Al moments ever. The look of horror on both of their faces discussing the disco version and the NOOOOOO

It is a HILARIOUS moment indeed. I wonder how much of Al's horror has to do with the reception it got, which he perhaps is still reeling from on some level. If that version had been a hit, no way he'd have acted like this!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »

... I wonder how much of Al's horror has to do with the reception it got, which he perhaps is still reeling from on some level. If that version had been a hit, no way he'd have acted like this!

Side note, but...the way people talk about disco HCTN, you'd think not only that it didn't chart but that it sold at 'Summer In Paradise' levels. I'm not defending it, but just expressing how surprised I was to find out that it was relatively successful. Apparently, it only reached #48 on the disco Top 80, but it did reach #44 on the Hot 100 and #37 in the UK.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:37:55 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »

... I wonder how much of Al's horror has to do with the reception it got, which he perhaps is still reeling from on some level. If that version had been a hit, no way he'd have acted like this!

Side note, but...the way people talk about disco HCTN, you'd think not only that it didn't chart but that it sold at 'Summer In Paradise' levels. I'm not defending it, but just expressing how surprised I was to find out that it was relatively successful. Apparently, it only reached #48 on the disco Top 80, but it did reach #44 on the Hot 100 and #37 in the UK.

But didn't the band receive tons of jeers and loud booing when they played it, causing them to retire it almost immediately?  That probably stung more than anything else, because I don't imagine that's ever happened to them before or since…

I have recently re-evaluated my own feelings on the song, and I definitely like it more now than I did previously. It grew on me over the years.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »

I was fine with it apart from the strings and those blasted monkey sounds

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »

But didn't the band receive tons of jeers and loud booing when they played it, causing them to retire it almost immediately?  That probably stung more than anything else, because I don't imagine that's ever happened to them before or since…

I have recently re-evaluated my own feelings on the song, and I definitely like it more now than I did previously. It grew on me over the years.

Yes, they were booed and they dropped it from the setlist as a result. Still, if they were stung, I'd think it was more the venue (Radio City Music Hall) than the booing itself. As Carlin wrote in Catch A Wave, "they had long since learned how to adjust their own interests to suit the audience's expectations." All I was saying, though, was that I was surprised that it sold as well as it did considering its reputation. Consider how many BBs singles performed worse in the 70s and 80s.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »

Yes, they were booed and they dropped it from the setlist as a result. Still, if they were stung, I'd think it was more the venue (Radio City Music Hall) than the booing itself. As Carlin wrote in Catch A Wave, "they had long since learned how to adjust their own interests to suit the audience's expectations." All I was saying, though, was that I was surprised that it sold as well as it did considering its reputation. Consider how many BBs singles performed worse in the 70s and 80s.

That is indeed a good point.  Considering it's reputation,  I would have guessed lower too.

I wonder how much the disco backlash, which I think is largely rooted in toxic masculinity, played into the poor reception of this song by this particular band. I realize that many people didn't expect disco from this band, and many simply didn't want disco from this band, but I think the extreme reaction might of been due to some perceived threat that it came to some across as... a band that was viewed as a very American and male type of stereotype was suddenly going along with a genre that was often associated with gays and women.  I say this because the band explored many other genres without quite the same backlash before.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »

I'll never get why disco was such a bad idea. I mean, the Bee Gees pulled it off, and there are a fair amount of similarities between the two groups. If anything,  the issue is 1)timing, and 2) it was a very poor attempt at disco

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx