gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:53:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272477 times)
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »

Time for Brian to gracefully bow out of concert performing....This is starting to get embarrassing.....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »

Time for Brian to gracefully bow out of concert performing....This is starting to get embarrassing.....

How would it be graceful if it's already embarrassing?

Oh yeah, that's right, it's another troll post with no actual internal logic.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »

No it isn't...'cept for YOUR 'contribution'.  Well done.  You da 'man'.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

Said the same thing back on the Egi Board.....15 years ago!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »

Brian might cover an oldie or 3...as he did way back in the day...but it is my understanding that a good portion of the R 'n' R l.p. is supposed to be new songs.  And harkening back to 2015...you're right Jude.  Brian didn't perform all that many songs from NPP did he?

Oh well.  It'll happen as it happens.  I just want him to be healthy...and as 'on the mark' as possible.

Other than the Brian and Friends Show that was filmed in Vegas, I don't think more than four NPP were done on the NPP tour in '15.

When I saw him in Philly in June 2015, he did Runaway Dancer, The Right Time, Sail Away, and One Kind of Love.  When I saw the 2nd leg in Rockville, MD in November 2015, Runaway Dancer was (mercifully) dropped.  

Unless Brian is doing a full album show, he does very few cuts from solo albums.

BW 88
Love and Mercy
Melt Away
Let it Shine (a handful of times)

Imagination
Your Imagination
Lay Down Burden
South American

GIOMH
Title Track (a couple of times)
HCWSBD (ditto)
Soul Searchin
City Blues
Desert Drive

Lucky Old Sun
Aside from full album shows ...
MAD
Goin Home
Southern California

I don’t think any tracks from the Gershwin record were performed aside from the full album shows, and none of the Disney songs were performed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:16:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »

Wirestone is 100% correct; like most artists with a huge catalog of hits, Brian rarely digs into the back catalog and even when promoting a new album, only does a few cuts, which are usually mostly or all out the door by the next year/tour.

This pattern goes back to the 70s/80s with the Beach Boys. Albums like KTSA and BB '85 had a bunch of songs pulled for live performances, but they were mostly dropped very quickly.

We can, though, add "Melt Away" to the list of songs from BW '88, as it was done on occasion on a tour or two back in the previous decade.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »

It's a particularly rare occurrence for Brian to perform a solo song from *several albums ago.* He did "Let It Shine" in 2000, but even then it was to promote the then-new CD reissue of BW '88.

He did "Your Imagination" at a few mid-2013 shows; that was one of the only examples of this.

As I've often said, "Brian Wilson" concerts are not really concerts showcasing Brian Wilson's solo studio career. Nor are they de facto "Beach Boys" shows, though with Matt and Al (and Blondie) there, it veers closer to that. But it's a showcase of Brian the songwriter more than anything. Brian skips "Kokomo." Mike doesn't skip "Surfer Girl."

Granted, this format should leave *more* leeway for Brian to do solo stuff. But you know what? He's performed *multiple* full solo album projects in concert. Proportionately, he has probably aired *more* solo material than any other artist of a similar nature in terms of going decades in a famous band and only *then* starting a true solo career.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »

Man, I’ve responded to you countless times in your time here, and I’ve never once gotten a response. When you grow the balls to actually reply to people who challenge your rather pitiful and moronic opinions I really hope you put a little more thought into it than you do with these drive-by potshots.

Also, the more you troll here the more likely leadership is going to ban your ass...and it would be a shame for you to have to find a new proxy through your VPN to scatter these jackass posts here. Might I suggest you either join the conversation instead of lobbing these petulant posts and ignoring the responses. Or just stick with posting your dbag opinion on the PS Forum.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 06:22:42 PM »

What’s that boom gif guitarfool posted? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 10:23:46 PM »

This thought just occurred to me: what if the rock and roll album is 15 Big Ones, Volume 2?
KDS
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 05:10:17 AM »

This thought just occurred to me: what if the rock and roll album is 15 Big Ones, Volume 2?

The horror........the horror.........
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »

There are certain elements of the recording ethos of "15 Big Ones" that I wouldn't mind hearing in a future project.

I'd rather hear something like his 2007 "I'm Into Something Good" (rather 15 Big Ones-esque), something with a bit of quirk to it, than straight kind of workman-like covers.

Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »

From a recent interview.. http://www.jambands.com/features/2017/09/15/brian-wilson-s-enduring-pet-sounds/

Would you consider that a peak?
In 1976 we recorded the 15 Big Ones album. That was the highlight. That was my favorite album and the highlight of my trip. I like the lyrics and the vocals.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

If 15 big ones got a remix, people would understand why BW loves it. It’s pure BW in 1976!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »

From a recent interview.. http://www.jambands.com/features/2017/09/15/brian-wilson-s-enduring-pet-sounds/

In 1976 we recorded the 15 Big Ones album. That was the highlight. That was my favorite album and the highlight of my trip. I like the lyrics and the vocals.

Is it just me or is that the nicest thing Brian's said about Mike since C50 ended?  Of course he had a reason to be extremely upset, but interesting because he said in 2015, I think, that he didn't want to do another BB tour.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »

Sounds like some competition, if Mike's doing it Brian's going to keep doing it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »

What’s that boom gif guitarfool posted? Evil

Boom! Understand?  Grin

Not the gif/loop...I made that meself...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:11 PM »

Man, I’ve responded to you countless times in your time here, and I’ve never once gotten a response. When you grow the balls to actually reply to people who challenge your rather pitiful and moronic opinions I really hope you put a little more thought into it than you do with these drive-by potshots.

Also, the more you troll here the more likely leadership is going to ban your ass...and it would be a shame for you to have to find a new proxy through your VPN to scatter these jackass posts here. Might I suggest you either join the conversation instead of lobbing these petulant posts and ignoring the responses. Or just stick with posting your dbag opinion on the PS Forum.

Remember: Barba non facit philosophum.

Or in that case... "Barba non facit aliam historici"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »

Is it just me or is that the nicest thing Brian's said about Mike since C50 ended?  Of course he had a reason to be extremely upset, but interesting because he said in 2015, I think, that he didn't want to do another BB tour.

Brian has complimented Mike in interviews numerous times since C50 ended. I don't think Brian has really said anything negative about Mike. Brian has said in more recent years he doesn't see doing another BB tour/project, but he has never gone negative on Mike and has praised him on numerous occasions much more directly than the above 15BO comment. 

2013 "Rock Cellar" interview with Brian:

Well, Mike had music ideas besides lyrics. So he helped me out with the music and his lyrics were really really creative. Some of my favorite Mike lyrics are California Girls, Good Vibrations and Do it Again was another great one that we wrote. I also like Warmth of the Sun. that was a very sweet and sorrowful song.

2016 "Harvard Business Review" interview with Brian:

Mike Love wrote great lyrics, very fast, and I liked that in those days.

These are just two examples, but there are many similar comments from Brian in interviews post-C50. There was even one interview where Brian was particularly complimentary of Mike and it worked so well that Mike posted the interview link on his Facebook page and, as I recall, seemed to be happy to have his ego stroked and said something like "Thanks Bri, right back at ya!"; something along those lines. I remember finding it amusing that in order to stop getting Mike to go negative, it required such a heavy ego stroke.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »

Brian has complimented Mike in interviews numerous times since C50 ended. I don't think Brian has really said anything negative about Mike. Brian has said in more recent years he doesn't see doing another BB tour/project, but he has never gone negative on Mike and has praised him on numerous occasions much more directly than the above 15BO comment. 

2013 "Rock Cellar" interview with Brian:

Well, Mike had music ideas besides lyrics. So he helped me out with the music and his lyrics were really really creative. Some of my favorite Mike lyrics are California Girls, Good Vibrations and Do it Again was another great one that we wrote. I also like Warmth of the Sun. that was a very sweet and sorrowful song.

2016 "Harvard Business Review" interview with Brian:

Mike Love wrote great lyrics, very fast, and I liked that in those days.

These are just two examples, but there are many similar comments from Brian in interviews post-C50. There was even one interview where Brian was particularly complimentary of Mike and it worked so well that Mike posted the interview link on his Facebook page and, as I recall, seemed to be happy to have his ego stroked and said something like "Thanks Bri, right back at ya!"; something along those lines. I remember finding it amusing that in order to stop getting Mike to go negative, it required such a heavy ego stroke.

I guess I haven't read that many interviews with Brian.   Smiley

Thanks Hey Jude.  Somewhat interesting to say the least. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:52 AM »

All I'll add is this: I offered a challenge on this board when the bullshit was getting *really* deep a few years ago for anyone to find and post a recent or even modern example of a negative comment Brian has made about Mike Love. Just one. To this present day, I don't believe anyone has stepped forward with one.

THAT says all you need to know. Then look at what has been said by Mike over the past several years. Case closed.

I also offered a challenge with the prize of a bottle of chilled white wine to someone who could pinpoint and post one of the "obnoxious" or overt uses of Autotune on NPP. I thought one guy was going to come though, but he found a millisecond of some digital or sonic residue on a track, then disappeared ostensibly to continue his search. He was apparently "too busy" to offer any examples and disappeared.

I ended up drinking the wine myself after the time lapsed into months where no one seemed able to find and post such an example. It was good wine, and I enjoyed it.

And a lot of the bullshit also came after I had been standing feet away from Brian at his keyboard when he introduced "I Get Around" by saying his cousin Mike sang it well, and hopefully he could do as good a job on the vocal as Mike did. So that's yet another unpublished example of praise I heard firsthand among everything else.

KDS
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »

I also offered a challenge with the prize of a bottle of chilled white wine to someone who could pinpoint and post one of the "obnoxious" or overt uses of Autotune on NPP. I thought one guy was going to come though, but he found a millisecond of some digital or sonic residue on a track, then disappeared ostensibly to continue his search. He was apparently "too busy" to offer any examples and disappeared.

Before I say this, I should say that I'm really not an audiophile, but I did listen to NPP a lot in the spring and early summer of 2015, and the voices all sounds pretty clear to me.  Especially when you compare them to TWGMTR and that C50 live album
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:25 AM »

All I'll add is this: I offered a challenge on this board when the bullshit was getting *really* deep a few years ago for anyone to find and post a recent or even modern example of a negative comment Brian has made about Mike Love. Just one. To this present day, I don't believe anyone has stepped forward with one.

THAT says all you need to know. Then look at what has been said by Mike over the past several years. Case closed.

I ended up drinking the wine myself after the time lapsed into months where no one seemed able to find and post such an example. It was good wine, and I enjoyed it.

And a lot of the bullshit also came after I had been standing feet away from Brian at his keyboard when he introduced "I Get Around" by saying his cousin Mike sang it well, and hopefully he could do as good a job on the vocal as Mike did. So that's yet another unpublished example of praise I heard firsthand among everything else.

Being pretty new to the forum, I'm still trying to figure out what happened at the end of C50.  I've heard bits and pieces and am therefore responding to the little I know.  I therefore said I could understand why Brian would attack Mike, even though he hasn't, and think that his compliments are very kind and surprising saying all that (I think/assume) happened during 2012-2013. 

And I really loved this comment, guitarfool2002: "I ended up drinking the wine myself after the time lapsed into months where no one seemed able to find and post such an example. It was good wine, and I enjoyed it. "

LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »

Being pretty new to the forum, I'm still trying to figure out what happened at the end of C50.  I've heard bits and pieces and am therefore responding to the little I know.  I therefore said I could understand why Brian would attack Mike, even though he hasn't, and think that his compliments are very kind and surprising saying all that (I think/assume) happened during 2012-2013. 

And I really loved this comment, guitarfool2002: "I ended up drinking the wine myself after the time lapsed into months where no one seemed able to find and post such an example. It was good wine, and I enjoyed it. "

LOL

It entails something that is sometimes a slog, but I would recommend reading through old threads/posts on this board regarding C50. In particular, check out posts on the subject from Howie Edelson, who did a great job of putting things in perspective.

You'll also see that Brian has, probably both because of his inherent nature and also because he has better PR people, not gone negative on Mike at all in recent years. Even in his one arguably acrimonious piece, which was his letter to the LA Times in Sep/Oct 2012, he didn't attack Mike. I think he was expressing how he (and Al) felt, which was disappointment and frustration over Mike walking away.

C50 is a different (though at times intertwined) issue compared to the more broad issue of what Mike and Brian say about each other in interviews. And the sad fact is that Mike has regularly gone negative, and even his kind comments about Brian are often backhanded or involve complimenting himself via complimenting Brian.

However much they did or didn't reveal about things like C50 in their respective autobiographies, the style and tone of each book provides a pretty good insight into their attitude. Mike is ready to go through a litany of reasons he was wronged. He's on the defensive and trying to pounce. Whereas, Brian is more like "meh, that's how Mike is, whatever..."

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2017, 03:41:42 PM »

LOL

It entails something that is sometimes a slog, but I would recommend reading through old threads/posts on this board regarding C50. In particular, check out posts on the subject from Howie Edelson, who did a great job of putting things in perspective.

You'll also see that Brian has, probably both because of his inherent nature and also because he has better PR people, not gone negative on Mike at all in recent years. Even in his one arguably acrimonious piece, which was his letter to the LA Times in Sep/Oct 2012, he didn't attack Mike. I think he was expressing how he (and Al) felt, which was disappointment and frustration over Mike walking away.

C50 is a different (though at times intertwined) issue compared to the more broad issue of what Mike and Brian say about each other in interviews. And the sad fact is that Mike has regularly gone negative, and even his kind comments about Brian are often backhanded or involve complimenting himself via complimenting Brian.

However much they did or didn't reveal about things like C50 in their respective autobiographies, the style and tone of each book provides a pretty good insight into their attitude. Mike is ready to go through a litany of reasons he was wronged. He's on the defensive and trying to pounce. Whereas, Brian is more like "meh, that's how Mike is, whatever..."

The only perspective really necessary in my opinion is the unfiltered truth of how C50 ended. Mike pulled the plug when the demand from fans and the industry in general was as high as it's been for anything - and I repeat *anything* new from "The Beach Boys" in decades. Mike booked a show at a venue called "Nutty Jerry's" that led to Nutty Jerry's canceling the booking because they and their local ticket buyers were confused as to which Beach Boys lineup they were going to be presenting. When the confusion became clear that it was Mike's band and not the Beach Boys who were still on the road for C50, they backed out. And in subsequent press releases and statements, there was still confusion as to what happened. And for the talk of Mike booking other shows for his band, I've raised the point before that all which was on the books when C50 was ongoing was a random show in South America, as well as a charity show at a California country club or winery which was done almost immediately after Mike and Bruce flew back from the final UK C50 shows, Stamos joined them, and there were comments from audience members that they thought they would be seeing the full C50 lineup and got instead Mike's lineup.

And the perspective too comes from the press releases in the wake of Mike's announcement around the Grammy event, where Mike or his PR staff gave at least one or several reasons to the press that soon were replaced by other reasons, and when Mike's book came around even more reasons beyond that. Mike's initial release mentioned The Eagles and not wanting to overstay their welcome to where tickets would be selling for 5 bucks like Eagles tickets, which led to a pretty bitter reply from The Eagles' camp.

It was a mess.

From fans' perspectives, the band was back together with all surviving original members from the 60's including Bruce, and Mike instead chose to return to his Mike-and-Bruce lineup after Brian, Al, and David said they wanted to extend the touring because they were enjoying it...and also wanted to make more new music. But Mike chose not to. Despite the concert booking industry calling for more shows after the tour exceeded pretty much everyone's expectations and was a big draw with high demand. The album went top 5 too.

Mike claimed the tour was losing money in his book. And he gave an interview where he slagged off on the album despite it cracking not just the top 100 but the top 5 on the charts.

The Wilsons gave a dinner party to celebrate the last UK shows at a restaurant for all the band members and crew. Mike's band was there, Brian's band, Al, David, wives, friends, people from the behind the scenes staff and crew...

...and Mike and Bruce didn't show up. The picture of that dinner with everyone breaking bread and celebrating minus Mike and Bruce is a true example of "a picture is worth a thousand words".

So there it was. And maybe that picture of that specific moment is enough perspective to last a lifetime.

And in terms of this particular forum's perspective as well as all of those related including those which have since died on the vine, the fans were behind C50 almost 100% and were happy to see the guys back together playing live AND with a new album. After Mike's decision, the forums turned into what felt like an attempt in some circles to reverse all the negative publicity and opinion directed at Mike, and there were blatant if not laughable attempts to whitewash or rewrite history and fact by offering talking points like "set end date" and trying to shut down any discussion if it turned the spotlight on Mike's decision.

Then it got fun. The defense of Mike and attempts to deflect the negativity turned into attempts to trash the Wilsons, and Brian regarding any new offering or tour he was putting out. When that failed, the attempts turned toward controlling the forums by bullying posters who dared say something about Mike that was less than a toe'ing of the line (whoever determined that line), up to sending messages off the board which led to several leaving.

Maybe the nadir was when an interview with Mike came out, he was quoted in his own words, and I guess short of being able to defend what the man actually said the defense (and defenders) suggested Mike had been misquoted. Or that we didn't take his words as he meant them. Or that some other totally ridiculous reason was in play versus what the guy actually said.

So...that was that. If anything C50 brought people together, and whatever attempts were undertaken by Mike's more loyal and vocal defenders and fans to whitewash and help do damage control in the wake of C50 ended up causing a lot of outright hate to come to these places and infect them. C50 wasn't the starting point, as other grudges and agendas were already in place, but it brought it into the fan discussion realm and basically blew it to bits.

If I never see nor hear the phrase "set end date" for the rest of my life on this planet, it wouldn't be long enough.

C50 was positive for everyone except, it would seem, Mike Love. And it was his call which led to him getting exactly what he wanted. He's currently leading his band still touring incessantly and releasing autotuned BB's remakes with Mark McGrath. And his most insufferable fans and mouthpieces and defenders are still doing their same routines. Fun stuff!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx