gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:51:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 271409 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: July 20, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

I’m a little disturbed by a number of comments on here about the use of wheelchairs.  And this has nothing to do with Brian. For all I know a wheelchair might not help with brian’s health issues so that’s besides the point. But for those that do need a wheelchair, whether temporarily, permanently, or in specific situations, there’s nothing shameful or alarming about using one.  A number of comments here suggest that Brian might “not want to be seen” in one or that fans “might be alarmed” to see him in a wheelchair.  This kind of attitude perpetuates the stigmatization of people that use wheelchairs or mobility devices. 

The jazz giant Clark Terry was often in a wheelchair in his last years and, I believe, performed live while using a wheelchair.  Instead of seeing that and feeling uncomfortable for whatever reason, or worrying that he’s on the decline, we should all take our hats off to someone who has physical or mobility issues but uses whatever tools are available (wheelchair, walker, what have you) to allow them to do what they want to do.  That’s called kicking ass, and it’s not something to be ashamed of. 

Marcella, I was one of the people who made some wheelchair comments. I in no way meant that using a wheelchair is shameful or anything like that. But it's the way people react, and I was saying a real possibility that Brian or one of his staff thought people would react to a wheelchair. I wasn't saying it was correct to do so. People reacted when he had to be helped onstage. There's nothing shameful in needing help, either. I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I do apologize if I implied that using a wheelchair is anything to be ashamed of.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I wasn't calling out any one comment, just the idea that people could react negatively if they saw Brian in a wheelchair. I understand that the paparazzi will spin something like that into a story on Brian's decline or whatever, but frankly, so what? If B-list magazines and whatever "camps" want to suggest that Brian shouldn't be touring - well, as many have pointed out, that's been happening for years, and it doesn't seem to hold any sway with Brian. My point was just that people should be able to use whatever mobility device or medical assistance they need in order to let them do the things they want to do, without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

I agree with you, and I'm just saying that sometimes, people who work for celebrities ARE paid to look after the celebrity's image. I'm hoping Brian doesn't care. People speculate about him a lot-- he may slur his speech, not answer questions, be carried to the stage, whatever-- and people speculate, including some of the people here. I'm sure people have speculated about his health since at least the 70s.  I would hope Brian just carries forward without worrying and does what he wants. I think that's probably the case. The thing is, Brian continually defies the doubters. As someone said in this thread, how many 76-year-olds go on tour, months after back surgery?
Well, some might say, he is forced to go on tour because that's what his 'handlers' insist upon.

They might. And it would be an excruciatingly dull thing for everyone else to hear. Some topics just live on in the minds of oddly obsessed people who really, really need to find other outlets. The "wife and managers" crowd fits that bill. (Some who are negatively obsessed with the M&B band are similarly deranged and dull.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #676 on: July 20, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »

Yup. I mean, I could say right now that I woke as a frog and currently sitting on a lily pad beating off and eating flies. I’d be lying my ass off, but I could say it. 😏. So whatever some “might” say means nothing to me because anyone can flap their lips and say anything , and no amount of wishing would make it true
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:51:57 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 20, 2018, 06:41:03 PM »

Nice post Cap, now about Lebron to LA.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »

I’m a little disturbed by a number of comments on here about the use of wheelchairs.  And this has nothing to do with Brian. For all I know a wheelchair might not help with brian’s health issues so that’s besides the point. But for those that do need a wheelchair, whether temporarily, permanently, or in specific situations, there’s nothing shameful or alarming about using one.  A number of comments here suggest that Brian might “not want to be seen” in one or that fans “might be alarmed” to see him in a wheelchair.  This kind of attitude perpetuates the stigmatization of people that use wheelchairs or mobility devices.  

The jazz giant Clark Terry was often in a wheelchair in his last years and, I believe, performed live while using a wheelchair.  Instead of seeing that and feeling uncomfortable for whatever reason, or worrying that he’s on the decline, we should all take our hats off to someone who has physical or mobility issues but uses whatever tools are available (wheelchair, walker, what have you) to allow them to do what they want to do.  That’s called kicking ass, and it’s not something to be ashamed of.  

Marcella, I was one of the people who made some wheelchair comments. I in no way meant that using a wheelchair is shameful or anything like that. But it's the way people react, and I was saying a real possibility that Brian or one of his staff thought people would react to a wheelchair. I wasn't saying it was correct to do so. People reacted when he had to be helped onstage. There's nothing shameful in needing help, either. I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I do apologize if I implied that using a wheelchair is anything to be ashamed of.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I wasn't calling out any one comment, just the idea that people could react negatively if they saw Brian in a wheelchair. I understand that the paparazzi will spin something like that into a story on Brian's decline or whatever, but frankly, so what? If B-list magazines and whatever "camps" want to suggest that Brian shouldn't be touring - well, as many have pointed out, that's been happening for years, and it doesn't seem to hold any sway with Brian. My point was just that people should be able to use whatever mobility device or medical assistance they need in order to let them do the things they want to do, without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

I agree with you, and I'm just saying that sometimes, people who work for celebrities ARE paid to look after the celebrity's image. I'm hoping Brian doesn't care. People speculate about him a lot-- he may slur his speech, not answer questions, be carried to the stage, whatever-- and people speculate, including some of the people here. I'm sure people have speculated about his health since at least the 70s.  I would hope Brian just carries forward without worrying and does what he wants. I think that's probably the case. The thing is, Brian continually defies the doubters. As someone said in this thread, how many 76-year-olds go on tour, months after back surgery?
Well, some might say, he is forced to go on tour because that's what his 'handlers' insist upon.

They might. And it would be an excruciatingly dull thing for everyone else to hear. Some topics just live on in the minds of oddly obsessed people who really, really need to find other outlets. The "wife and managers" crowd fits that bill. (Some who are negatively obsessed with the M&B band are similarly deranged and dull.)

Sorry Capt. but I'm "negatively obsessed" with the M&B band and I take it as a direct insult that because of my opinion about them, you label me as such. Don't forget, there are two sides to every opinion. I may consistently post about how I hate Mike Love, but I do not put someone down because they believe otherwise. You need to be careful about crossing that line. If you think the M&B band is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel then that's fine. I have the right to challenge that but calling me "deranged and dull" is entirely out of line.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 09:39:17 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 20, 2018, 07:25:58 PM »

OSD!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 20, 2018, 07:36:54 PM »

What the f*** kind of nonsense is that?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 20, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

Dude, you wrote the line, not me.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:29 PM »

Whew, time  for me to mediate... Wink

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2018, 11:35:39 PM »

Brian is using a wheelchair on stage now - https://www.facebook.com/alanjardine/posts/1946717888719830

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2018, 11:45:19 PM »

Brian is using a wheelchair on stage now - https://www.facebook.com/alanjardine/posts/1946717888719830
Seeing that is a bit of a shock to the system. Let's hope it's only to help along the rehab for his back and not something else we don't know about.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 21, 2018, 01:27:37 AM »

I think people commenting that Brian is forced to do things, shadowy figures aka handlers decide what he does is way meaner than people "hating" on Mike.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 21, 2018, 01:32:50 AM »

I think people commenting that Brian is forced to do things, shadowy figures aka handlers decide what he does is way meaner than people "hating" on Mike.
I agree, and that's a very good point. People can hate Mike all they want, and call him the worst names you can think of. But they don't accuse him of being a victim of mind control by his wife or family. That's hate on a psychological level.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #687 on: July 21, 2018, 01:43:32 AM »

I agree, and that's a very good point. People can hate Mike all they want, and call him the worst names you can think of. But they don't accuse him of being a victim of mind control by his wife or family. That's hate on a psychological level.

It’s borderl pathological

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #688 on: July 21, 2018, 01:44:16 AM »

Seeing that is a bit of a shock to the system. Let's hope it's only to help along the rehab for his back and not something else we don't know about.

I’m sure it’s only to allow him to not overdo it and probably way better for his back then the hard bench he would use before
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:48:07 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 21, 2018, 05:15:02 AM »

Dude, you wrote the line, not me.

I know and stand behind what I said. If you're self-identifying and self-diagnosing, well, there's always help. It's never too late.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2018, 08:23:49 AM »

He looks quite animated, which is great. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2018, 08:30:24 AM »

He's definitely into it.
Brian has been seen in a comfy chair before shows, and he wrote about it in his book, too. I always wondered why he couldn't sit in a comfier chair onstage, albeit one that would still allow him to play the keyboard. Looks like the wheelchair gives him some support. And it would make it easier on whoever helps him onto the stage.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »

[/quote

Good to see BW back on stage, but the thing that shocked me was the venue - It's tiny, and surely the take wouldn't cover the production cost]
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »

Sounding great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=i_y1_i_Zrvc

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »

Pictures of Brian in physical rehab/therapy were posted on Instagram. That coupled with Brian being in a wheelchair on stage tells me they're certainly not covering things up but are being surprisingly open about what's up with Brian.

Back surgery rehab is what it is. Brian is presumably recouping. It is nether minor nor a death knell.

I've seen people recouping from injuries and surgery return to work in a wheelchair.

It's no more impossible something's bring hidden about Brian now than five years ago, or than it is that Mike Love or anybody else is not disclosing health issues.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 22, 2018, 06:53:55 AM »

Still good seats for Kingston tonight. I'm hemming and hawing about going. I can walk there easily.

Edit: Meh, too lazy to go plus the rain and humidity is just too much.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:43:55 PM by Wrightfan » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: July 23, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »

Updated some setlists in the top post from setlist.fm. There's only a partial setlist posted for the 7/19 show, the first PS show of the year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 02, 2018, 08:55:58 AM »

The venue for the August 7th Tel Aviv show has changed – it’s now going to take place at the Charles Bronfman Auditorium (also known as היכל התרבות (Heichal HaTarbut) in Hebrew), which is a little bit northwest of the Menora Mivtachim Arena.

My best friend will be attending. I’ll try to get her thoughts and post a review from her if I can.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 02, 2018, 03:09:58 PM »

Beautiful L&M on 7/25/2018!
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25544.675.html#bot

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 03, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »

Edinburgh venue has now changed too. Edinburgh Playhouse on August 19th which is an indoor venue - so I've booked! :-)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx