gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:29:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 271395 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: July 17, 2018, 09:19:52 PM »

As we all know, Brian had back surgery not too long ago. At his advanced age it's going to take much longer to recuperate than it would for someone even just 10 years younger. If it's true that he was upbeat and happy performing then that would suggest that he wanted to be there regardless of the pain involved.

But he also may not have wanted to be seen going to his piano in a wheelchair, perhaps thinking that this would cause more concern than necessary.

Based on this "carrying" incident, however, perhaps a more effective way to work around this would be to do what Don Rickles did in his last years when he had difficulty walking, which would be to get onstage and seated prior to the curtain coming up.
Agreed on all points. As far the last point goes that not only will work it would look cool too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 18, 2018, 02:59:38 AM »

Probably not possible in all venues though.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: July 18, 2018, 06:45:41 AM »

I think one of the issues going on here isn't just about Brian or the sole issue of back problems. It's the sometimes understandable penchant for some fans wanting to analyze and pontificate on things that they just don't know enough about.

To me, it's a warning sign when a sentence starts with "I don't know anything about back problems or back surgery, and I'm obviously not privy to Brian's personal health, but....." followed by a dissertation on what he should or shouldn't be doing.

I think fans *can* comment on the optics of the situation, and certainly either a wheelchair or "being carried" on stage doesn't exactly *help* the regular accusations over the last 20 years that Brian's shows have, at least at times, veered into "Weekend at Bernie's" territory.

But you really have to take the totality of the situation into account; my guess is this: Brian booked a relative s**t-ton of shows (though still a lighter schedule than 2016 or 2017) for the second half of the year, then the back surgery issue came up, and they're doing their best to balance between Brian's health and not taking a total bath on canceling too many shows. So they canceled a block of shows in May, rescheduled what they could, and then for legs where they already planned to continue, they actually booked a hand full of additional shows that presumably make up most of the difference for any lost shows from May.

I'm guessing Brian is doing better back-wise based on his surgery, but for the overall comfort/pain easing up he might be facing, that's balanced out by unavoidable mobility issues that will linger for anyone of his age doing major back surgery.

So it's not just wishful thinking of trying to prop Brian up too much to suggest that he may actually be "feeling" better now than he did earlier this year or last year, etc., but he also has those mobility issues which indeed would require either a wheelchair or being carried or something along those lines.

I'm also guessing that were they able to book indoor shows where they can open a curtain to start the show, they would probably do that to avoid what certainly doesn't *appear* to be someone who shouldn't just stay home and recoup.

A quick little communique from Brian's camp explaining "Hey, he's actually doing well overall and feeling better, but the surgery means he needs to be careful with going to and from the stage and so we're carrying him or using a wheelchair" would probably not hurt.

It's obviously not the same thing, but the Foo Fighters guy broke his leg during a show a few years back and actually had them carry him back out to finish the show in a seated position. I think Axl Rose in the last year or two broke his foot or some such thing and just turned into a big epic show with a throne. In fact, it turns out Rose used Grohl's very same "throne" to tour in a cast. Brian's essentially/potentially in a similar situation, only because of his age and because of the oft-cited "should he be touring?" debate, it seems to be more of an issue.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 18, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »

But he also may not have wanted to be seen going to his piano in a wheelchair, perhaps thinking that this would cause more concern than necessary.

Remember when TMZ or somesuch took footage of Brian being wheeled through the airport in a wheelchair? Fans knew it was because of his back, but the general public probably thought he was permanently wheelchair bound and may have been concerned. So yeah, Brian might not want people to worry. (By the way, my father wrenched his knee a couple of years ago and my stepmother wheeled him through the airport, and they got priority boarding. My father was embarrassed because it really wasn't THAT serious, but since he's in his 80s, people assumed the worst.)

I think we have to assume that Brian, having just had surgery, got advice from his doctors on whether touring is advisable. Whether they actually advised against touring and he ignored it, we can't know. But hopefully doctors gave their blessing. And also, maybe they took into account what many people (including Brian himself) have said: that touring helps keep the depression at bay.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »

Hi ; I haven’t been on in quite a while but wanted to add to this discussion.  I wanted to say that Brian has had these back issues for years and has had several procedures done since 2012 ; three to my recollection. The most extensive however, was the lower back surgery he had a few months ago.  Back surgery is a rough deal ; the rehab from back surgery is a bitch to say the least. I can verify that from personal experience. Brian is in the rehab process of rebuilding the strength in his legs which has been deteriorating for awhile , pre-surgery, and it’s going to take time. He’s getting there slowly but surely  ; and he’s doing it on the road because that’s what he wants to do, play his music and touring.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:18 AM »

Good to hear!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 18, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »

I hope the audience is made aware of this as I’m sure they will be supportive.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: July 18, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »

And regarding leg strength and mobility, having known several people with severe back issues (requiring surgeries, therapy, etc.), back issues can impact leg strength and ability to walk both directly and indirectly. That is, actual pain can prevent mobility. But also, a back issue (herniated discs for instance) can literally impact the nerves in your legs and prevent easy (or sometimes any) mobility.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 18, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »

Hi ; I haven’t been on in quite a while but wanted to add to this discussion.  I wanted to say that Brian has had these back issues for years and has had several procedures done since 2012 ; three to my recollection. The most extensive however, was the lower back surgery he had a few months ago.  Back surgery is a rough deal ; the rehab from back surgery is a bitch to say the least. I can verify that from personal experience. Brian is in the rehab process of rebuilding the strength in his legs which has been deteriorating for awhile , pre-surgery, and it’s going to take time. He’s getting there slowly but surely  ; and he’s doing it on the road because that’s what he wants to do, play his music and touring.

Great to hear, Ray. Thanks for posting.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 18, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

Great to hear, Ray. Thanks for posting.

Ditto!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: July 18, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »

Thirded (is that even a word?)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 18, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »

Fourthded (also not a word)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 19, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »

I’m a little disturbed by a number of comments on here about the use of wheelchairs.  And this has nothing to do with Brian. For all I know a wheelchair might not help with brian’s health issues so that’s besides the point. But for those that do need a wheelchair, whether temporarily, permanently, or in specific situations, there’s nothing shameful or alarming about using one.  A number of comments here suggest that Brian might “not want to be seen” in one or that fans “might be alarmed” to see him in a wheelchair.  This kind of attitude perpetuates the stigmatization of people that use wheelchairs or mobility devices. 

The jazz giant Clark Terry was often in a wheelchair in his last years and, I believe, performed live while using a wheelchair.  Instead of seeing that and feeling uncomfortable for whatever reason, or worrying that he’s on the decline, we should all take our hats off to someone who has physical or mobility issues but uses whatever tools are available (wheelchair, walker, what have you) to allow them to do what they want to do.  That’s called kicking ass, and it’s not something to be ashamed of. 
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 19, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »

And on an entirely separate note but still related to this thread, a huge thank you to Hey Jude for keeping the list of concerts updated.  I don’t listen to the radio so I don’t always get news about concerts in my area.  I saw your comment about a show being added in November and it turns out it’s in my town!  Went online the next day as soon as the presale started and got second row.  Thanks. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 19, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »

I’m a little disturbed by a number of comments on here about the use of wheelchairs.  And this has nothing to do with Brian. For all I know a wheelchair might not help with brian’s health issues so that’s besides the point. But for those that do need a wheelchair, whether temporarily, permanently, or in specific situations, there’s nothing shameful or alarming about using one.  A number of comments here suggest that Brian might “not want to be seen” in one or that fans “might be alarmed” to see him in a wheelchair.  This kind of attitude perpetuates the stigmatization of people that use wheelchairs or mobility devices. 

The jazz giant Clark Terry was often in a wheelchair in his last years and, I believe, performed live while using a wheelchair.  Instead of seeing that and feeling uncomfortable for whatever reason, or worrying that he’s on the decline, we should all take our hats off to someone who has physical or mobility issues but uses whatever tools are available (wheelchair, walker, what have you) to allow them to do what they want to do.  That’s called kicking ass, and it’s not something to be ashamed of. 

Marcella, I was one of the people who made some wheelchair comments. I in no way meant that using a wheelchair is shameful or anything like that. But it's the way people react, and I was saying a real possibility that Brian or one of his staff thought people would react to a wheelchair. I wasn't saying it was correct to do so. People reacted when he had to be helped onstage. There's nothing shameful in needing help, either. I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I do apologize if I implied that using a wheelchair is anything to be ashamed of.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: July 19, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »

The whole issue with the wheelchair was that a TMZ cameraman/paparazzi named Charlie was staking out the airport that day for any celebrities who may come through arrivals or departures in the terminals. He happened to catch Brian in a wheelchair in the terminal, and they tried to blow it up into something. This is what the professional paparazzi are paid to do, and there are usually at least a dozen of them on the clock scoping out LAX, along with the "professional" autograph hounds with their ridiculous wads of memorabilia and handfuls of Sharpie pens trying to get these celebs to sign junk so they can flip the items to a broker who lists it for sale online.

So back to the wheelchair...If certain segments of fans who post online have not been posting garbage for 20 years about Brian's health, and stuff like "Oh, our poor dear Brian, he's too ill to tour!" in some attempt to do whatever they were doing, it would be a non-issue.

Because the most common-sense, everyday-life aspect of having a wheelchair at an airport available for people who either cannot walk 1.5 miles to their gate or who have medical issues of any kind is and has been standard practice for a very, very long time. If it's not a wheelchair, an attendant can be called and they'll bring a motorized cart to get the person to their terminal or gate or wherever.

Again, what blows my mind is that not only is this standard practice in nearly every large facility where people have to walk a longer distance from point A to point B...including museums, historical sites, transportation hubs of any kind, etc...

...But Brian in his book described the issues he's had with his back, a condition which he shared with his brother Carl too as it can be genetic, and yet people are making it an issue beyond what it really is and how it's been explained and even published in a book for all to see.

Just pointing this out, not reacting to anyone or any comment here, but at some point it reaches a point where it's been said so many times in the past it becomes like talking into a dead phone especially when it continues to come up.

And blame too goes to those in the past who have tried to play that angle with Brian's health to suggest he should not tour. A decision which I'm pretty sure A. Only Brian would make and B. A decision which would benefit certain parties who might not like the competition in the market.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #666 on: July 19, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »

I’m sure a lot of it is the fact that Brian’s a fighter and I’m sure he’s thinking “nah I got this”. It’s the thing I admire most about Brian, the fact that (as he has said in so many interviews) he’s “got a lot of will”. As much as I love his music, I’m even more a fan of he himself . The average person would not be touring after back surgery, especially one at his age.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:21:59 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 20, 2018, 12:27:55 AM »

2guitarfool2002: Well said as usual. Agree 200% with the last bit.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 20, 2018, 06:39:09 AM »

I think things have been muddied a bit. The airport and Brian's stage entrance are two entirely different things.

TMZ is sleezy and they trade in this sort of sensationalism. I believe they did the same thing to Eric Clapton not too long ago. The fact that the "frail" artist is unwilling to banter back and forth while they shout ridiculous questions is just confirmation that they aren't well.

As for the stage entrance, Brian's walk to his keyboard has been a little shaky for sometime. His gait and movement looked shaky and I recall one incident where he fell on stage (I can't remember how recent that was???).

Then you have the reports of his back surgery, canceled concerts, and his first show back two eyewitnesses describing him as being carried on stage. I don't think it was inappropriate for fans to question Brian's well being and what this "carrying" entailed. Ray's post on this thread is somewhat comforting.

That being said, I have yet to attend a Brian Wilson concert where folks around me haven't commented on his stage entrance. I personally would have felt more comfortable with him receiving assistance--a steadying hand--in the past. There is a lot that can be tripped over.

All the best to Brian. Looking forward to seeing him in Grand Rapids on November 20, though I'm not sure what show to expect--venue is saying Greatest Hits, Brian's website and ticketmaster say Pet Sounds.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 20, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »

Marcella, I was one of the people who made some wheelchair comments. I in no way meant that using a wheelchair is shameful or anything like that. But it's the way people react, and I was saying a real possibility that Brian or one of his staff thought people would react to a wheelchair. I wasn't saying it was correct to do so. People reacted when he had to be helped onstage. There's nothing shameful in needing help, either. I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I do apologize if I implied that using a wheelchair is anything to be ashamed of.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I wasn't calling out any one comment, just the idea that people could react negatively if they saw Brian in a wheelchair. I understand that the paparazzi will spin something like that into a story on Brian's decline or whatever, but frankly, so what? If B-list magazines and whatever "camps" want to suggest that Brian shouldn't be touring - well, as many have pointed out, that's been happening for years, and it doesn't seem to hold any sway with Brian. My point was just that people should be able to use whatever mobility device or medical assistance they need in order to let them do the things they want to do, without worrying about what anyone else thinks.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 20, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »

I completely understand what you're saying, and I wasn't calling out any one comment, just the idea that people could react negatively if they saw Brian in a wheelchair. I understand that the paparazzi will spin something like that into a story on Brian's decline or whatever, but frankly, so what? If B-list magazines and whatever "camps" want to suggest that Brian shouldn't be touring - well, as many have pointed out, that's been happening for years, and it doesn't seem to hold any sway with Brian. My point was just that people should be able to use whatever mobility device or medical assistance they need in order to let them do the things they want to do, without worrying about what anyone else thinks.

I agree with you, and I'm just saying that sometimes, people who work for celebrities ARE paid to look after the celebrity's image. I'm hoping Brian doesn't care. People speculate about him a lot-- he may slur his speech, not answer questions, be carried to the stage, whatever-- and people speculate, including some of the people here. I'm sure people have speculated about his health since at least the 70s.  I would hope Brian just carries forward without worrying and does what he wants. I think that's probably the case. The thing is, Brian continually defies the doubters. As someone said in this thread, how many 76-year-olds go on tour, months after back surgery?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: July 20, 2018, 12:11:59 PM »

Brian has been touring on his own for 20 years at this point and is playing shows on the road as of this week, I'm pretty confident in saying anyone who still might try to push the "the poor man is too ill to tour" nonsense is either an idiot or a puppet.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 20, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

I agree with you, and I'm just saying that sometimes, people who work for celebrities ARE paid to look after the celebrity's image. I'm hoping Brian doesn't care. People speculate about him a lot-- he may slur his speech, not answer questions, be carried to the stage, whatever-- and people speculate, including some of the people here. I'm sure people have speculated about his health since at least the 70s.  I would hope Brian just carries forward without worrying and does what he wants. I think that's probably the case. The thing is, Brian continually defies the doubters. As someone said in this thread, how many 76-year-olds go on tour, months after back surgery?
Well, some might say, he is forced to go on tour because that's what his 'handlers' insist upon.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 20, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »

Who are the handlers?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: July 20, 2018, 03:46:16 PM »

That’s bullshit. He’s not being forced to do anything .  Why would he be?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx