gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:03:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 271386 times)
KDS
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »

I was really hopeful for the Pet Sounds tour coming back to my area, since I missed it last time. Instead we're getting the Holiday Show. On the one hand, I've never considered going to a Christmas music concert, but on the other hand, the Beach Boys Christmas Album is maybe my favorite for the season. And I've never seen Brian Wilson live. Think he'll play non-Christmas tunes as part of the show?

I'm sure he'll do some non Christmas songs.   He typically plays 33-37 songs.   So, that's likely the 12 from the BB Christmas album, plus, say 3-4 from his solo Christmas album, which would leave plenty of room on the setlist for non holiday hits. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »

I suspect they'll open with about 4-5 solo Christmas songs, then burn through a medley of about 4-5 early Beach Boy tunes, then the standard set from Blondie...intermission, Christmas Album replaces Pet Sounds, typical encores follow.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »

I personally don't understand why someone would pay to see Greatest Hits Live, when the lead singer of most hits  (Mike Love) is touring as The Beach Boys. Why would seeing Brian sing the same songs (off key/out of tune) be better? It's kinda like a tribute to Mike Love oddly enough, in my opinion. Same for the upcoming Christmas Tour: Mike sang lead on the hits. He's the original voice. It would be like me going to see Peter Tork perform Monkees hits, when Micky Dolenz is touring as The Monkees. I prefer the original vocalist!  Now, before you get mad that I'm a Mike Love fan, Brian on tour doing his Beach Boys lead vocal songs, album cuts, solo stuff, that would be cool. I like them both.

Because it’s Brian Wilson. 

Because it’s Al Jardine. 

Because it’s Brian’s EXCELLENT band. 

Because it’s interesting arrangements of not just the hits but of deeper cuts. 

Because it’s Blondie Chaplin. 

Because it’s the man who wrote most of the songs, a man with more musical talent than oh, just about anybody, interpreting those songs with a preposterously talented group of musicians. 

Should I go on? Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »

I also think (if you aren't trolling) that your terminology is a bit misconfigured. I have posted a great many criticism of Brian's voice on this forum and have caught plenty of unnecessary sh*t for it. However, he is never off key or out of tune. His voice is strained and tired, but still very musically accurate.

I would--and hence I will--quibble slightly with you on Brian's voice. I've heard him hit bum notes, especially in songs that have a range or even melody leaps that challenge his modern voice. (I'm thinking about how awful "Time to Get Alone" was in Glasgow 2004, at the Smile show, for one example. I've heard several others.) So I don't think it's fair to say he's never off key or out of tune. He also increasingly, WISELY, lets others handle those vocals he can't so easily handle.

That said, he is generally pretty good in those things. And I agree with your main point entirely.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »

Run, don't walk, to see Brian and his band while you can. And certainly, the current BB  line up are worth seeing/ hearing........... ; it will change, too , in time.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 03, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »

I personally don't understand why someone would pay to see Greatest Hits Live, when the lead singer of most hits  (Mike Love) is touring as The Beach Boys. Why would seeing Brian sing the same songs (off key/out of tune) be better? It's kinda like a tribute to Mike Love oddly enough, in my opinion. Same for the upcoming Christmas Tour: Mike sang lead on the hits. He's the original voice. It would be like me going to see Peter Tork perform Monkees hits, when Micky Dolenz is touring as The Monkees. I prefer the original vocalist!  Now, before you get mad that I'm a Mike Love fan, Brian on tour doing his Beach Boys lead vocal songs, album cuts, solo stuff, that would be cool. I like them both.

I suppose it is a matter of personal preference. If Peter Tork wrote, arranged, produced, and sang prominently on most of The Monkees hits with one of the greatest pop voices of all time, I'd probably rather see him than Micky Dolenz. Just as I'd rather go see a Pete Townshend concert or a Paul Simon concert than a Roger Daltry or Art Garfunkel concert. Personally I couldn't imagine why anyone would rather the opposite but, again, that's just my taste.

And while I'm not going to pursue it anymore than to say this, I think Mike Love fans leave themselves really open to critique when they draw analogies like this in order to make their point. Yes, being a Mike Love fan is perfectly fine but when it gets to the point when you are comparing Brian Wilson's role in The Beach Boys to Peter Tork's role in The Monkees, then I think it's time to rethink things a bit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 07:13:51 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 03, 2018, 07:48:52 PM »

I’d love to see Mike Love sing the hits.....but only as Mike Love.

My loss? Maybe. Just my personal choice.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 03, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »

I personally don't understand why someone would pay to see Greatest Hits Live, when the lead singer of most hits  (Mike Love) is touring as The Beach Boys. Why would seeing Brian sing the same songs (off key/out of tune) be better? It's kinda like a tribute to Mike Love oddly enough, in my opinion. Same for the upcoming Christmas Tour: Mike sang lead on the hits. He's the original voice. It would be like me going to see Peter Tork perform Monkees hits, when Micky Dolenz is touring as The Monkees. I prefer the original vocalist!  Now, before you get mad that I'm a Mike Love fan, Brian on tour doing his Beach Boys lead vocal songs, album cuts, solo stuff, that would be cool. I like them both.

Hey Matt, before you go much further with Brian being off key and out of tune, check out most of the you tube vids(live) of the luHvster trying to stay on key and in tune on his last disaster of an album Unleash The Love. And he does an excellent job of butchering the hits(live) as well unless you prefer the finger nails on a chalkboard nasal bleating that most anyone could do while holding your nose. There are reasons why he's labeled as the one in the band who had the worst voice. No problem with you being a Mike Love fan, but I'll take Brian's voice to the bank any day.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 03, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »

I've never known him to be anyone but Mike Love. It's not like he goes out as Clem Love, or Cookie Love  LOL. His band, of course, is the Beach Boys - and if anyone has a problem with that, they should complain to the people who allow them to use that name year after year.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 04, 2018, 03:02:59 AM »

Oh I don’t have a problem with it. But I do have a choice.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 04, 2018, 06:21:32 AM »

I've never known him to be anyone but Mike Love. It's not like he goes out as Clem Love, or Cookie Love  LOL. His band, of course, is the Beach Boys - and if anyone has a problem with that, they should complain to the people who allow them to use that name year after year.

His band and himself are not the Beach Boys. Mike is a Beach Boy who happens to be in a band of musicians. The Beach Boys do not exist any more except on paper. Unfortunately Mike Love IS Mike Love however he'd have to change his underwear constantly if he had to go out under his own name.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 04, 2018, 06:55:55 AM »

OSD is back! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »

And while I'm not going to pursue it anymore than to say this, I think Mike Love fans leave themselves really open to critique when they draw analogies like this in order to make their point. Yes, being a Mike Love fan is perfectly fine but when it gets to the point when you are comparing Brian Wilson's role in The Beach Boys to Peter Tork's role in The Monkees, then I think it's time to rethink things a bit.

This. Exactly, 100% on the money.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #488 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »

Why? Similar to why fans for decades have paid to see a Burt Bacharach live concert, the majority of which did not have Dionne Warwick, BJ Thomas, Jackie DeShannon, or any of the other vocalists on stage with Burt singing all those hit songs he wrote, arranged, and produced.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 04, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »

Why? Similar to why fans for decades have paid to see a Burt Bacharach live concert, the majority of which did not have Dionne Warwick, BJ Thomas, Jackie DeShannon, or any of the other vocalists on stage with Burt singing all those hit songs he wrote, arranged, and produced.

Perfectly said, Craig.  Hearing a great artist interpret his/her work is an honor and a joy.  Re: original poster:"A tribute to Mike Love?"  I'm not mad, just bewildered. Brian isn't singing "Pisces Brothers," he's performing his creations.  Your logic escapes me, Matt.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »

Your logic escapes me, Matt.

The logic is pretty simple: speak nonsense likely to be seen as controversial and enjoy the attention of the inevitable responses.

I believe there’s a relevant saying. Something about trolls and the filling (or not) of their bellies.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2018, 05:14:10 AM »

There is some truth that the name Brian Wilson isn't as big a draw as some other solo touring acts out there - Paul McCartney and Roger Waters come to mind. 

But, I have to add that I tend to wear a lot of band tee shirts, especially in the summer time.   And the one shirt that I wear that almost always draws a comment from somebody is my Brian Wilson Pet Sounds 2016 Tour tee. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2018, 06:15:45 AM »

McCartney is on a pretty unique level compared to most 60s artists who are still going today. Beatles/McCartney is kind of its own unique thing.

But in terms of Brian, he had and has a whole bunch of background factors that the likes of Waters and McCartney don't. Namely, Brian is touring (largely) music that has NEVER been off the touring market. To cut to the point, Roger Waters tours probably wouldn't see *quite* as much interest if Pink Floyd had been doing 150-175 gigs per year, every year, since the 1960s. Same for McCartney. "Wings Over America" in 1976 or McCartney in 2018 would probably not be selling out stadiums if a band had been doing 175 gigs per year every year as "The Beatles."

None of this, though, really gets back to the recent point of contention which, I guess, was trying to imply that each Beach Boy should just divide up their respective lead vocals and only do their own vintage leads in concert. That makes no sense for about a dozen different reasons, and also ignores the legal and logistical setup of Mike actually using the BB name, not to mention having his background singers sing roughly half the show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »

pre -sale codes..what are they?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 05, 2018, 12:00:34 PM »

pre -sale codes..what are they?

They vary by venue and are listed at brianwilson.com/holiday-tour
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 05, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »

sorry rubber, no code's are given . you get to pick venue than code is asked for.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #496 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »

sorry rubber, no code's are given . you get to pick venue than code is asked for.

Pre-sale passwords are listed on that page ( http://www.brianwilson.com/holiday-tour/ ), but I presume only for shows where a presale password exists. I would imagine they will update the list if more passwords are made available.

Keep in mind as well that pre-sales don't always guarantee the best seats. The usually only set aside a certain block of seats (and not all of the best seats) for pre-sales so that shows don't sell out before the actual "onsale" date (and so that all the good seats aren't taken before the "onsale" date).

So, sometimes, you're better off jumping into the main sale, as that presumably opens up all of the available seats.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 05, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

Your logic escapes me, Matt.

The logic is pretty simple: speak nonsense likely to be seen as controversial and enjoy the attention of the inevitable responses.

I believe there’s a relevant saying. Something about trolls and the filling (or not) of their bellies.

Yes, trolls are tiresome.  I guess I should be used to dealing with nonsense at this point.  No need to go down the rabbit hole with them. Swimming in the sewage of lies, delusion and silly provocation is a waste for everyone.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 05, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »

His band and himself are not the Beach Boys. Mike is a Beach Boy who happens to be in a band of musicians. The Beach Boys do not exist any more except on paper. Unfortunately Mike Love IS Mike Love however he'd have to change his underwear constantly if he had to go out under his own name.  Roll Eyes

I'm shocked OSD spelled 'Mike Love'! I figured he had customized keyboards on all his devices prohibiting this!  Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 05, 2018, 05:07:15 PM »

Its a Myke luhv thang! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx