gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
621100 Posts in 24988 Topics by 3550 Members - Latest Member: SunshineOverClouds November 24, 2017, 09:38:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 7655 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »

Ugh.  Roll Eyes
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2017, 04:08:16 AM »

Whoever was behind the ‘final’ wording in the marketing must be regretting it now.

I doubt it.  "Final" pushes people to buy tickets - it's a marketing thing.  There was probably never any intention to retire PS forever.  Remember that "final" was also used for PS performances in 2006. 

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2017, 06:52:01 AM »

I'm far less concerned with how previous PS shows/tours have been billed as far as being "final" shows, etc., than I am with Brian's clear apathy towards doing the PS songs.

We established long ago that there's always the chance of more PS shows. People complained in *2013* when Brian randomly did the full PS at a couple of gigs that they were going back on the advertising from the 2006/2007 shows in terms of being "final" shows.

Given how upbeat Brian was during even the longest tour stretches this year for the non-PS stuff, and how clearly bored he is of PS, I figured they had to move on to something else this year.

Which they may still do; I'm not convinced they're going to build another 75-date PS tour around those Nashville shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:02 AM »

2006: these are the last Pet Sounds performances ever
2013: just a few Pet Sounds performances, but it's an exception
2016: ok more Pet Sounds performances
2017: alright but these are really the very last Pet Sounds performances ever
2018: ok more Pet Sounds performances

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

Proving that by 2013 anybody previously aware of this phenomenon had nobody but themselves to blame if they thought that subsequent tours would definitively be the final performances.

This was actually established in *2007*; some folks may have forgotten that they did some November 2006 PS dates, and then booked three west coast shows in January 2007. I vaguely recall people complaining back in late 2006 when the three additional January 2007 dates were announced.

I never make any assumptions about what might be the final shows of this or that. I'm sure some of us remember buying tickets for Brian's first tour in 1999. Many of us bought the tickets in part because we figured there was a good chance this would be the *one and only* chance to ever see him.

I would be fine with more PS shows, regardless of how previous tours were billed, if Brian was into singing the songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »

I wager these could be the only Pet Sounds shows in 2018. These three Nashville Symphony dates have been scheduled for about a year. They probably requested the Pet Sounds material as this was booked in the middle of the Pet Sounds tour. I would prefer Brian be touring something else, but I don't have a major issue with it. I have tickets to two of the shows. LOL
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »

I am sure the album performed with an orchestra behind it will be amazing. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »

In a better world, Brian could do a Wild Honey show, or Sunflower, or even Beach Boys Today....but the general public doesn't even know those albums.
I'm surprised, though, that Mike and Bruce aren't doing an Endless Summer show.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »

In a better world, Brian could do a Wild Honey show, or Sunflower, or even Beach Boys Today....but the general public doesn't even know those albums.
I'm surprised, though, that Mike and Bruce aren't doing an Endless Summer show.

I wrote in length on the PSF that there are several BB albums that come very close being classic albums, not just classic BB albums, if not for a song selection or two.   (ie. Putting the talk track on Today). 

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2017, 07:26:47 AM »

I've said it before; Brian is unlikely to tour a full album outside of PS or "Smile", and even less likely to venture outside of the 60s where other members wrote and sang their own stuff.

I just don't see Brian (even with a backing guy singing it) doing "Tears in the Morning."

"Wild Honey" seems more likely than others, as it's at least mostly Brian-penned material.

As I've already mentioned as well, I really don't need to see any more albums performed in full. A wide-ranging, interesting setlist is just fine.

KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »

I've said it before; Brian is unlikely to tour a full album outside of PS or "Smile", and even less likely to venture outside of the 60s where other members wrote and sang their own stuff.

I just don't see Brian (even with a backing guy singing it) doing "Tears in the Morning."

"Wild Honey" seems more likely than others, as it's at least mostly Brian-penned material.

As I've already mentioned as well, I really don't need to see any more albums performed in full. A wide-ranging, interesting setlist is just fine.

I remember a year or two ago, he mentioned that he really liked Summer Days Summer Nights.   I think it would be more likely to see Brian do something like Today or SDSN than anything post 1967.   And even with those, it wouldn't likely be the entire albums.  Today would obviously cut Bull Session, and I'd think they'd still do the single arrangement of Rhonda.  For SDSN, I'd be shocked if Brian did Bugged at My Old Man. 

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:06 AM »

One more SMiLE tour would be the kicker. Outside of that, I don't see any "album" oriented tours surviving. They just don't have the flow or the hit-power.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx