gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:53:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opinions On Jeff’s Falsetto?  (Read 12733 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »

To clear up the Foskett/Ike (and related band moves) chronology, I think it goes like this:

Late 2013/Early 2014: Jeff is no longer in Brian's band (full story yet to be told on that one)
- Brian's band hires Matt Jardine as a replacement

Spring/Summer-ish 2014: Jeff joins Mike's band
- Christian Love is the person whose exit makes room for Jeff

Mid-late 2014: Matt Jardine is unable to do some Brian gigs. He's replaced for one gig by a guy from the Fendertones (if I'm recalling correctly), and then Brian "Ike" Eichenberger. Ike does the rest of the very small number of 2014 gigs Brian performs. Matt Jardine joins Ike for the PBS "Soundstage" gig.

Early 2015: "Ike" is announced as having joined Mike's band.
- Randell Kirsche is the member who exits to make room for "Ike"
- Matt Jardine comes back full-time to replace Ike in Brian's band.

So Jeff was there in Mike's band for quite some time (mid-2014 to early 2015) before Mike hired Ike. The fact that Mike didn't seem to *need* Ike in his band (both because Kirsche seemed to be doing a fine job and because Mike already had one and arguably several falsetto guys) seemed to contribute to the perception/appearance that he poached Ike from Brian's band just to be a dick.

Musically, I think this all made things better. The only person who probably got the shaft was Randell Kirsche, who doesn't appear to have left Mike's band by his own choice. I think Christian Love was rumored for quite some time to want to leave full-time work in Mike's band, so presumably he wasn't literally booted to make room for Jeff.

That's about right. I'd heard about Foskett around summer to fall 2013...I'll have to look through my pm's.  It was "hinted"at but so obvious that Ray Charles could see it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »

I was hoping that when Jeff joined Mike's band he would be singing Carl's parts and letting Ike do most of the falsettos. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened. I think the sound would be better that way. It's fine, but could be better. You wonder how much longer Jeff can hit those notes, he's not getting any younger and at 150 plus dates a year.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »

Also, not to get off-topic but AGD's attack on RangeRover is really uncalled for.  She's entitled to her own opinions.

Yeah I agree. And apologies to RangeRover for me putting a spotlight on that thread...I just honestly can’t believe an apparent adult is getting his panties in a twist over the falsetto preference of a forum member here. Surely you must have something better to do with your time?

And thanks for the replies everyone! I really thought that the opinion regarding Jeff’s falsetto was kinda “meh” no matter what time period...this has seemed to be a consistent opinion from even the hardcore Brianistas. Just wanted to make sure that history didn’t become revised.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 06:57:52 PM »

It’s a t(rab).... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »

The timeline, then, does suggest Mike didn't need Eichenberger if Foskett had already signed on months before. And it begs the question yet again if Mike already had a guy who plays rhythm guitar and handles falsetto vocals...yet hires a guy who arguably could be better at nailing the same 60's voice for a more true replication of the nostalgia trips Mike peddles at every show...why is Ike relegated to thumping basslines in the backline when the guy has the chops and the sound to essentially be the "Brian" voice in any upper-tier tribute band if not do soundalike gigs with that voice and range?

If this hiring were political or personal, that's pretty low-class I'd say.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 07:47:01 PM »

He choose poorly to work for a poacher.....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:47 PM »

What I did remember though is that Brian and the band were booked on Conan Obrien's TV show where they did Runaway Dancer, and I think that may have been the first time publicly Ike did not play with them after he split to join Mike...but I was not sure on when Jeff joined Mike. Not that I cared a lick about that in light of the info since shared in this thread, but it's good to keep the dates straight anyway.

If Mike wants to keep a guy with a solid and authentic falsetto like Ike offers in the background, ultimately who cares. His call.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »

Also, not to get off-topic but AGD's attack on RangeRover is really uncalled for.  She's entitled to her own opinions.

Yeah I agree. And apologies to RangeRover for me putting a spotlight on that thread...I just honestly can’t believe an apparent adult is getting his panties in a twist over the falsetto preference of a forum member here. Surely you must have something better to do with your time?

And thanks for the replies everyone! I really thought that the opinion regarding Jeff’s falsetto was kinda “meh” no matter what time period...this has seemed to be a consistent opinion from even the hardcore Brianistas. Just wanted to make sure that history didn’t become revised.

After everything that happened, is that any surprise? What's that old saying about a leopard not being able to change its spots? That's who they are, that's how they act, that's what they do. No surprise.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:08 PM »

i allways thought Jeff had more of a Dean Torrence kind of voice than BW voice. Jeff sounded better being doubled by Taylor Mills back in the day.. Smile comes to mind..
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »

i allways thought Jeff had more of a Dean Torrence kind of voice than BW voice. Jeff sounded better being doubled by Taylor Mills back in the day.. Smile comes to mind..

Kinda going off topic here, but man I really miss Taylor Mills being a part of the band. Her moments on BWPS give such a weird (but great) dynamic on that album...I Wanna Be Around for instance - to hear a female echo Brian Wilson is so different from what we’re used to, and it works so well. I wonder what she’s up to these days.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »

I miss Taylor in the blend too. Apart from the overall experience and amazement of seeing Brian on that first tour (and naturally the music presented including Pet Sounds and other deep cuts), perhaps the biggest pleasant surprise was hearing Taylor as a female voice added to the vocal blend. And I agree, the Smile shows and recordings benefited greatly from her vocals.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 04:49:38 AM »

Kinda going off topic here, but man I really miss Taylor Mills being a part of the band. Her moments on BWPS give such a weird (but great) dynamic on that album...I Wanna Be Around for instance - to hear a female echo Brian Wilson is so different from what we’re used to, and it works so well. I wonder what she’s up to these days.

I looked on her Instagram and 99 percent of the photos are of her daughter. I'm wondering if she's just enjoying being a full time mom and an offer to rejoin would be turned down. On the other hand, maybe it wouldn't. Who knows? At least I'd love to hear her voice on a future Brian recording. By the way, if you scroll through her Instagram, there's a nice photo of her with Brian's band. She was at the Austin show and went backstage.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:52:17 AM by Amy B. » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 06:33:28 AM »

2rab2591: It's fine, the blah blah speech is just blah blah.

I praised Eichenberger before in M&B thread for beautifully singing YSBIM. Iir, he didn't sing falsetto but high register sung in usual voice. It's cool way (technique?), case in point - "We'll Run Away" middle 8. Yep, Taylor Mills fit right in, team worker.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »

What I did remember though is that Brian and the band were booked on Conan Obrien's TV show where they did Runaway Dancer, and I think that may have been the first time publicly Ike did not play with them after he split to join Mike...but I was not sure on when Jeff joined Mike. Not that I cared a lick about that in light of the info since shared in this thread, but it's good to keep the dates straight anyway.

If Mike wants to keep a guy with a solid and authentic falsetto like Ike offers in the background, ultimately who cares. His call.

The timing of Ike leaving Brian and joining Mike seemed rather abrupt as I recall.

Brian did "Jimmy Kimmel Live" which was aired on April 2, 2015. It may have been taped earlier by a few days or a week or so as Kimmel sometimes does with musical guests; I can' t remember. Ike was with the band on this performance.

Brian announced on April 4, 2015, only two days later, via Facebook: "I am thrilled to let you know that Matt Jardine has rejoined my band effective immediately."

Brian did "Conan" on April 8, with Matt back in the band.

Mike announced via Facebook on April 17, 2015 that Randell Kirsche was gone and that Ike had joined. (As a sidebar, I thought it was kind of funny that Mike's post, https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/posts/825101930901983 , appears to use a grainy surveillance photo of Ike to welcome him to the band.)

I've had some "Mike-friendly" folks try to parse/justify/spin the Foskett move in 2014, but I haven't had even the most staunchly sympathetic Mike supporters deny that the whole thing at least gave the appearance that Mike "poached" Ike from Brian's band, and Randell Kirsche was booted in order to make this happen.

It appears they all did the minimal PR they could to mitigate everything; such as announcing Matt was back before Mike had a chance to announce Ike was joining his band, and Mike starting his announcement with Kirsche's departure, *followed by* announcing Ike's joining, kind of implying Kirsche's departure happened first.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:11:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:05 AM »

Jeff's high voice is acceptable.  He used to be better at it ...'til about a decade ago... but heh!!!  We all get older and certain assets don't survive the 'voyage'.  The problem with Jeff's falsetto is it has NO personality. He really only ever sounded like a guy trying to sing in falsetto.  It's kind of like he never really learned how to play THAT SPECIFIC instrument beyond just doin' the basics...which makes it "acceptable"...but nowhere near great.  It reached the point where he was no longer good enough to be a part of Brian's ensemble.  He's good enough to do what he's doing now though.  [living back in the minor leagues.]

AND...He's is absolutely no Carl Wilson.  In that regard Jeff is strictly a minor-leaguer.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »

The timeline, then, does suggest Mike didn't need Eichenberger if Foskett had already signed on months before. And it begs the question yet again if Mike already had a guy who plays rhythm guitar and handles falsetto vocals...yet hires a guy who arguably could be better at nailing the same 60's voice for a more true replication of the nostalgia trips Mike peddles at every show...why is Ike relegated to thumping basslines in the backline when the guy has the chops and the sound to essentially be the "Brian" voice in any upper-tier tribute band if not do soundalike gigs with that voice and range?

My guess/interpretation, and this is nothing more than that, is that both Jeff and Ike being in Mike's band are political, but for somewhat different reasons.

Jeff is essentially Mike's new Bruce. When Mike goes to some functions without the touring band, Jeff is often with him. There are numerous events and photos from the last few years with just Mike and Jeff.

I think Ike is more just a hired backing guy, and while Jeff is more embroiled in the internecine politics of the BB world, I think Ike was brought in to simply stick it to Brian's camp and also to get some younger blood into his band.

It would be interesting to know if Ike had already contracted to do the 2015 tour with Brian and bailed, or if they knew Ike was being poached.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:11:48 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 07:59:54 AM »

Jeff's high voice is acceptable.  He used to be better at it ...'til about a decade ago... but heh!!!  We all get older and certain assets don't survive the 'voyage'.  The problem with Jeff's falsetto is it has NO personality. He really only ever sounded like a guy trying to sing in falsetto.  It's kind of like he never really learned how to play THAT SPECIFIC instrument beyond just doin' the basics...which makes it "acceptable"...but nowhere near great.  It reached the point where he was no longer good enough to be a part of Brian's ensemble.  He's good enough to do what he's doing now though.  [living back in the minor leagues.]

AND...He's is absolutely no Carl Wilson.  In that regard Jeff is strictly a minor-leaguer.

That version of Surfer Girl I put up in the original post perfectly showcases how his falsetto can be a great asset. But I totally agree with the consensus that there isn’t much soul in his falsetto...it’s kinda just there. To try and emulate Brian/Carl Wilson is an impossible task, and I don’t envy anyone who has to take on that role night after night.

Matt does an incredible job taking over those parts though - I’ve been to a few concerts where he has gotten lengthy standing ovations for his falsetto leads. He makes the lead vocals his own while also keeping with the spirit of the original tunes - probably the best tactic to take.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »

My guess/interpretation, and this is nothing more than that, is that both Jeff and Ike being in Mike's band are political, but for somewhat different reasons.

Jeff is essentially Mike's new Bruce. When Mike goes to some functions without the touring band, Jeff is often with him. There are numerous events photos from the last few years with just Mike and Jeff.

I think Ike is more just a hired backing guy, and while Jeff is more embroiled in the internecine politics of the BB world, I think Ike was brought in to simply stick it to Brian's camp and also to get some younger blood into his band.

It would be interesting to know if Ike had already contracted to do the 2015 tour with Brian and bailed, or if they knew Ike was being poached.

The line in [bold] would be pretty low-class if true, as I mentioned before, but it's hard not to think that was factor when you look at how all this unfolded. And at least to me as a musician, how it feels a talented guy like Ike who can deliver a fastball for the band and capture that early 60's BW vocal timbre is more or less in the background and not utilizing one of his biggest strengths. But again, if that's what Mike and Jeff and whoever else want, then so be it.

The argument about Brian's band not playing enough shows to satisfy working musicians who want to tour more regularly pretty much collapsed in Spring 2015 and is all but null and void as of Fall 2017. Brian has been touring extensively for 2 years solid and still going.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

I think Ike is very good.  Something that no one else seems to have picked on (or perhaps it is just opinion with which no one will agree) - there is a certain not classical but... formal quality to his voice which I wouldn't normal associate with the Beach Boys catalogue and for me this sticks out a little bit in his lead vocals in particular.  I still enjoy his singing and I don't necessarily think this makes him a less suitable guy for the job.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2017, 07:42:09 AM »

Imo Jeff is not bad by any means, but his voice lacks any "sweetness". Matt, on the other hand... Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »

Sam_BFC I noticed that too !!

He has a great voice, but his voice sounds too classical to sing rock n' roll songs
wbarnes4393
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »

Before Tuesday night (when I saw the Mike Love group in Dallas), I tended to like Jeff and Matt about equally.  It does appear there is a slight pro-Matt bias now, since there is a pro-Brian bias on average among Beach Boy fandom.  I agree that Jeff mainly just basically hits the notes but there's nothing special there.  And while Matt is a very good singer, I have though he sounds a little on the shrill side -- maybe that's too harsh, just not as buttery soft as Brian's 1960s falsetto, more of a hard edge to it (of course, ridiculous to ask anyone to try to compare).

Ike, on the other hand, was a revelation.  I had seen the Mike Love group a couple of years before at an outside performance at the State Fair, but Tuesday night was in a small, intimate concert hall setting with great acoustics (The Majestic Theater in Dallas - P.S. Stamos joined them, which was a surprise and made it more fun for my wife....).  I was able to watch and hear the Jeff falsetto vs. the Ike parts (he sang lead on I'm So Young and, I think, Why Do Fools Fall in Love; also he joined them for Their Hearts Were Full of Spring acapella).  WOW!  Maybe it's his Four Freshmen pedigree, but he is a real stallion that Mike has hidden on the back row.  His voice and timbre are far closer to vintage Brian than EITHER Jeff or Matt.  Not sure why he isn't rocking all those parts, vs. Foskett.  Contracts, longtime affiliation, politics, who knows?  But, Ike would be fantastic as the full-time Brian falsetto singer.  Oh well - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2017, 04:43:34 AM »

I agree with your comments about Ike he is clearly a better singer and falsetto singer than Jeff. But I don't care much to see this version of The Beach Boys and I haven't since Carl past. Just doesn't do anything for me feels like a tribute band
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »

Ike is a great singer but I agree as posted above he does a more classical feel as opposed to a pop/rock feel. His phrasings sound very formal like he is singing in a formal symphony performance.  He doesn't have Brian's phrasings.  Matt is better at that. Al was the best. One of the reasons why Al is so effective at singing Brian leads is because he has the same  vocal phrasings
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2017, 12:14:11 AM »

I'm biased towards Jeff since I saw the BB's a lot during his first go round in the 80's. Always liked his lead on Warmth of the Sun; thought he did nicely on Don't Worry, Baby, too. Not so crazy about his lead on Back in the USSR.
Jeff also had a great solo part on America's Overwhelming World from their 1998 album Human Nature.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx