gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:02:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What do i think of the mike love solo songs
Great! - 0 (0%)
Like it - 1 (20%)
Ok - 0 (0%)
Awfull - 4 (80%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why all the Mike Love bashing  (Read 28555 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »

I don't hate Mike Love.  I think he's a great vocalist.  I just think he's kind of a dick and hilariously out of touch.

That's how I feel. I'll go one better and say he is incredibly talented and I get frustrated that he not only wastes his talent, he brings the rest of the brand down with him, and he carries an unnecessary grudge against Brian. Also have an issue when a certain employee of his takes swipes at members here just because he doesn't agree with their opinions. 

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »

Mike Love used to be a very good lyricist up until and including the Wild Honey album, which came out 50 years ago. He did some good work afterwards (Meant for You, Do It Again, All I Wanna Do, Big Sur, even It's OK and maybe Getcha Back) but that's only one song every couple of years and creatively he hasn't done anything noteworthy since rewriting John Phillips' song Kokomo, the hit recording of which is going to be 30 years old soon... an admittedly nice production that still has more in common with other novelty songs like Agadoo than with the classic BB material that he (and a number of other "chief lyricists") penned together with his genius cousin.

I agree that the guy is probably his own worst enemy. If he'd be humble instead of bragging, people would like him a lot more, myself included.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:24:20 AM by phirnis » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 02:28:05 AM »

I am so sick of this topic...

...but I'll say this. He's awesome to the fans who want to meet him. I've met him twice and he gave me a lot of his time and was happy to sign my items and take pictures with me.

I'm at a point where I no longer give a sh*t about the relationship these guys have with each other.

I couldn't agree more.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 03:48:03 AM »

Me too - original poster to blame. Roll Eyes

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 05:04:41 AM »

Iain Lee also threatened the board.... Roll Eyes

I forgot about that! LOL

That whole article was a sham, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had the whole thing outlined in his head before he even asked the question on this forum. He cherry picked some rather stupid reasons for people disliking Mike, then did a poor job of trying to convince people that those were the main reasons why Mike is disliked.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 05:42:48 AM »

Agreed, then had his account deleted once his “mission” was done.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 09:05:30 AM »

Yet another attempt to try fucking with this community that failed miserably. Unless taking to a stage in front of a live audience and joking about wanting to murder people on this board is somehow funny. Again, in the name of boosting or defending Mike and his legacy?

What draws these people and these odd behaviors into defending Mike Love and his legacy? Hey kids...let's launch vendettas, target and trash people, slander/lie/gossip, label people 'toxic', make sh*t up at random, threaten lawsuits and background checks...in the name of defending Mike. Then instead of owning the actions, say some key catch-phrases like "it's all about the music", "we love ALL the band members", and disappear. It's mind-boggling.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »

"We love all the members" ranks down there with "all lives matter ". I mean, hell, I actually feel that way (on both things ) but certain people use that statement almost like an attack to diminish whomever is not their "guy"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »

Wow.. Shocked 2 pages because i used the word hate in the topic. Were is this board going to Huh were is the time people respected each other ? why the harsh reply's?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »

Wow.. Shocked 2 pages because i used the word hate in the topic. Were is this board going to Huh were is the time people respected each other ? why the harsh reply's?

I mean this as kindly and politely as possible, but it appears you've been a member of this board for almost 12 years; since its inception. If you *still* can't understand why Mike is widely criticized, I would suggest reading the myriad of threads on the topic going back 12 years.

I would also suggest that accusing other fans of "hate" and then incredulously asking "where is the time people respected each other?" is pretty unfair.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »

Well it seems i cant write anything without being jumped at.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »

What sort of responses were you expecting when you decided to start this thread?

I'm genuinely interested to know.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »

Sorry, but I've got to  LOL. I don't think you really have a clue as to what "jumped at" really means, but if you have any questions about it, ask me.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 02:46:28 PM »

We've all been there.  I know I have!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »

Can you please direct me to the harsh replies? If anything I and others resonded with, what I thought were, rather informative replies. Some got rather annoyed at your use of the word “hate” and, in your defense, you didn’t mention that the hatred was emanating from this site, just that he is hated in general - which glancing at any number of YouTube video comments regarding the BBs you would be entirely correct.

I guess I understand why you’d be annoyed at that, but at the same time many people responded cordially to your original post - perhaps ignore the one or two posts that made you mad, and instead interact with those who responded politely to your question. Message boards are full of people you’ll disagree with, not saying you need thick skin to be here, but ignoring people you don’t agree with is sometimes necessary.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »

Yet another attempt to try fucking with this community that failed miserably. Unless taking to a stage in front of a live audience and joking about wanting to murder people on this board is somehow funny. Again, in the name of boosting or defending Mike and his legacy?

What draws these people and these odd behaviors into defending Mike Love and his legacy? Hey kids...let's launch vendettas, target and trash people, slander/lie/gossip, label people 'toxic', make sh*t up at random, threaten lawsuits and background checks...in the name of defending Mike. Then instead of owning the actions, say some key catch-phrases like "it's all about the music", "we love ALL the band members", and disappear. It's mind-boggling.

My favorite part is that all of the above is documented fact, yetttttt this place is so toxic because OSD calls ML “myke luhv“ -oh the humanity!

Speaking of “journalists” who don’t do their jobs, anyone remember Casey Hardmeyer’s bullshit NPP review for PopMatters? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much disinformation in one review before....I mean, hate the album all you want, but at least do 10 minutes of research to back your claims before you publish...journalism 101 stuff.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »

My favorite part is that all of the above is documented fact, yetttttt this place is so toxic because OSD calls ML “myke luhv“ -oh the humanity!

Speaking of “journalists” who don’t do their jobs, anyone remember Casey Hardmeyer’s bullshit NPP review for PopMatters? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much disinformation in one review before....I mean, hate the album all you want, but at least do 10 minutes of research to back your claims before you publish...journalism 101 stuff.

Exactly. And 100% documented fact, yes. Unfortunately for too many gullible fans and those with agendas or axes to grind, they don't let documented facts get in the way of an agenda. Even more unfortunate is when people believe them.

So yeah, that journalist...The time when he came on the board is still documented too here on this site. It was a complete farce. If someone can find it, feel free to post the direct link so newcomers can see what kind of bullshit was being peddled here. I'll reserve comment beyond that. But definitely worth a revisit as a reminder.

And even more shameful is that some of that complete bullshit got picked up and reprinted by Wikipedia, so whoever reads that gets that impression of the album. What a crock.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »

No prick pressure on SS anymore! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 07:49:48 PM »

Bizarro world...where facts don't mean jack sh*t, and those offering or reminding of the facts get attacked as haters, labeled toxic, and are blamed for the negativity against Mike Love that is as widespread across the internet as cute kitten memes.

Now there's a special place for all that.  Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »

Where are the harsh replies? Point them out, quote them and maybe the people being too harsh in your opinion can follow up and address your concerns. Just point us to the harsh replies first.

The time when people respected each other? As a 12 year member, are you seriously asking that or just trying to stir something up? Show me the respect in bullying other members off the board and using the PM system like a personal hit squad for slander and bullying and worse, and perhaps reconsider that "respect" notion which is only now returning after the people causing the issues went elsewhere.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 08:11:29 PM »

Pugnacious arrogance is outta here for good.  police

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »

Pugnacious arrogance is outta here for good.  police

I heard echoes of the late, great Harry Kalas making that call in the booth...  Smiley

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 08:39:12 PM »

Exactly. And 100% documented fact, yes. Unfortunately for too many gullible fans and those with agendas or axes to grind, they don't let documented facts get in the way of an agenda. Even more unfortunate is when people believe them.

So yeah, that journalist...The time when he came on the board is still documented too here on this site. It was a complete farce. If someone can find it, feel free to post the direct link so newcomers can see what kind of bullshit was being peddled here. I'll reserve comment beyond that. But definitely worth a revisit as a reminder.

And even more shameful is that some of that complete bullshit got picked up and reprinted by Wikipedia, so whoever reads that gets that impression of the album. What a crock.

Agreed 100%

Here is Wirestone’s brilliant reply to Hardmeyer’s “review” thing: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20283.msg510064.html#msg510064

Here is my spat with Hardmeyer: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21372.msg541144.html#msg541144

Edit: I just reread through that whole argument with him...totally forgot that Billy banned his ass after Hardmeyer flaunted his “credentials” of writing for a newspaper LOL seriously one of the stupidest conversations I’ve had on this board, and that’s saying a lot. I wish the best for Hardmeyer, and for the sake of whoever reads his work these days I hope he has gained a bit more journalistic integrity in years since.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:52:29 PM by rab2591 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »

Agreed 100%

Here is Wirestone’s brilliant reply to Hardmeyer’s “review” thing: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20283.msg510064.html#msg510064

Here is my spat with Hardmeyer: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21372.msg541144.html#msg541144

Thanks for the refresher! It was worse than I remembered.

For the people bemoaning the lack of respect on this board as of 10/10/2017...see those links, read the back-and-forth, and note especially the review and the actions of the reviewer. Facts don't matter as long as you get an agenda-fueled click-bait article to upload out of the deal. Particularly respectful is how Brian Wilson is compared to wheeling Grandpa out for Thanksgiving dinner, and the reviewer himself offering opinions on those who gave the album 5 stars as if they're idiots...among other gems of wisdom and insight.

That's the respect that is no longer here? If so, I'm glad that funky notion of "respect" followed those now-departed people on full display in those discussions out the fucking door to more respectful communities of like-minded fans...

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 08:52:31 PM »

Someone should consider starting a thread titled "Many Negative Reviews Of Unleash The Love" on this and other forums and see how well that one goes over.

The good ol' days indeed. Nothin' but respect on display.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx