gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680558 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:05:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What do i think of the mike love solo songs
Great! - 0 (0%)
Like it - 1 (20%)
Ok - 0 (0%)
Awfull - 4 (80%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why all the Mike Love bashing  (Read 28591 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2017, 03:15:57 PM »

I can't answer the poll because it depends. I don't care for this recent cover of Do It Again, nor the 2012 version. Pisces Brothers on the other hand is a simple but beautiful track. I find it funny that a youtube poster named OldSurferDude, whom I call the Mike Love troll, has to leave a  negative comment on any video of a Mike Love song! Maybe  legit feels that way. But I truly believ that if Al wrote Pisces Brothers, the same people would be praising it!

I used to feel the same way, until I realized OSD has been a fan since the beginning and is definitely not some Johnny-Come-Lately who is just piling on. 

For me personally, I always give Mike his due. That's why I get so frustrated, because the man has a HUGE amount of talent that got overlooked because of his other failings , because he's a complete asshole to Brian,and because he makes stupid decisions that overshadow everything. I also dig LBWL. and i'm in the vast minority (and prefer to Imagination by a large margin).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2017, 03:21:12 PM »

You're welcome to read back on my post history and read all the fair things I've writren about Mike, including the fact that I'm glad my family dramas haven't been played out in public (as I would not come across well)

What I took exception with regarding the poll is there were no negative options.  It's therefore censorship. This is from the person claiming there was no balance of opinion.

People post positive things about Mike all the time on here and suffer no abuse. I would fight for their right to do so.

It's when they try to police other people's opinions that problems arise.

Dutchie did 'reasonably consider whether the criticism of Mike is disproportionate', and (amongst some understandable moaning that a thread title which has proved highly contentious in the past rears it's head again), he recieved some reasonably considered replies. Instead of accepting these, he acts all hurt and offended, starts a poll which censors opinion, then goes off to garner solice and sympathy from the likes of AGD.

I'm sorry, but that's the point my patience runs out. The poll with the negative options was my response.

And there's nothing trollish about me or anyone wanting to voice the opinion that Mike's album is utter shite.

Very well said. Also have reason to suspect Dutchie is another member already on this site, unless he suddenly forgot how to log in a couple of hundred times ...and that's not an exaggeration.  So yeah, I think he's in a better place* to be coddled by Doe and his army"

*= Not referring to the admins at the PS forum as IMHO they seem to be doing a good job from the few times I've glanced over there, but rather a few of the people who caused trouble here and continue to attempt to stir sh*t.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »

Hmmm, by not including any negative options, it's almost like he's trying to tell us what to think........

Gonna start my own poll methinks.

Wait, was this poll started by OP? If so that’s ironic they claim we don’t respect opinions when clearly the poll they posted indicates that they don’t respect certain opinions. This person will fit right in over there.

Oh come on, Dutchie's poll proved their point (the need for a new poll with trollish options). Go back and read the original post (HeyJude quoted it); "Why all the Mike Love hate" "why [is] everybody so negative about ML". It seems to be a matter of degree, doesn't it? I think it's reasonable to consider whether the criticism/abuse of Mike is disproportionate. I don't know Dutchie, if he/she was speaking in code or had ulterior motives, but regardless, I have noticed some posters who almost exclusively post positive things about all Beach Boys related music (yes, including Mike solo) made to feel unwelcome. I'm not condemning the board, just noting that, if true, that's too bad.

Some posters who post excusively positive things about the music are also people who also talk sh*t about this place on other boards. That’s why at least I hold these people accountable for those words any time I see them. However, there are also other posters who post here and on the PS forum who are pretty much exclusively positive about ALL Beach Boys related music and I have no problem with them. One example is the poster JK...this person is pretty much always positive, I’ve never seen this person disparage Brian fans, or Mike-“haters”, nor have I seen anyone treat this person with disrespect. JK, please correct me if I’m wrong on that though.

My point is that some people are rabble-rousers who pretend to want to talk about solely the positivity of the music and yet stoke the flames of division..and these people get called out on it, plain and simple. And there are others who simply do just talk about the music and because of that they aren’t looked at negatively here.

Also, Guitarfool, your summary of the nonsense that has taken place in recent years should be stickied on the top of this forum.

Hell, THIS post from you should be stickied.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »

It's a shame but it seems like some corporate level and operational blunders did them in. It seems like they missed the branding identity by a mile, and they failed to prepare the employees for the job at hand. It's hard to bring back a brand so fondly remembered by people like me and essentially go from what they were into a more upscale higher-priced identity. I'm just glad to have caught up with what was going on and also revisit some great memories through this discussion! It's a case now where there are literally so many "upscale" burger places and franchises that it's nice to remember a place like the old Gino's who did what they did as well as anyone else...and much better than the Burger Kings, McD's, Wendy's, etc.

Speaking of...I remember a place called "Burger Chef" too...or at least I think I do, lol. But Gino's was my favorite.

I ended up with my favorites in a virtual tie. Gino's and White Castle. Man when the hungries strike, either one will do the job.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »

Not for nothing, but I remember when I finally had White Castle, I had the same reaction as when I heard "Hold Back Time" for the first time. Namely, "WTF is this", and "Ok these onions taste off".

Ok, maybe not so much the latter for HBT LOL

KDS
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »

It's a shame but it seems like some corporate level and operational blunders did them in. It seems like they missed the branding identity by a mile, and they failed to prepare the employees for the job at hand. It's hard to bring back a brand so fondly remembered by people like me and essentially go from what they were into a more upscale higher-priced identity. I'm just glad to have caught up with what was going on and also revisit some great memories through this discussion! It's a case now where there are literally so many "upscale" burger places and franchises that it's nice to remember a place like the old Gino's who did what they did as well as anyone else...and much better than the Burger Kings, McD's, Wendy's, etc.

Speaking of...I remember a place called "Burger Chef" too...or at least I think I do, lol. But Gino's was my favorite.

I ended up with my favorites in a virtual tie. Gino's and White Castle. Man when the hungries strike, either one will do the job.

Ive never been to WC, but Ive had the frozen sliders, and they're pretty similar to the Little Tavern chain that used to be in Baltimore.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »

Ive never been to WC, but Ive had the frozen sliders, and they're pretty similar to the Little Tavern chain that used to be in Baltimore.

Got one for you. Remember Harley's? There was one on Holabird Ave. I think it was a local chain.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2017, 08:32:24 PM »

I can't answer the poll because it depends. I don't care for this recent cover of Do It Again, nor the 2012 version. Pisces Brothers on the other hand is a simple but beautiful track. I find it funny that a youtube poster named OldSurferDude, whom I call the Mike Love troll, has to leave a  negative comment on any video of a Mike Love song! Maybe  legit feels that way. But I truly believ that if Al wrote Pisces Brothers, the same people would be praising it!

At your service, sir!   Razz

Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2017, 01:13:26 AM »

You're welcome to read back on my post history and read all the fair things I've writren about Mike, including the fact that I'm glad my family dramas haven't been played out in public (as I would not come across well)

What I took exception with regarding the poll is there were no negative options.  It's therefore censorship. This is from the person claiming there was no balance of opinion.

People post positive things about Mike all the time on here and suffer no abuse. I would fight for their right to do so.

Dutchie did 'reasonably consider whether the criticism of Mike is disproportionate', and (amongst some understandable moaning that a thread title which has proved highly contentious in the past rears it's head again), he recieved some reasonably considered replies. Instead of accepting these, he acts all hurt and offended, starts a poll which censors opinion, then goes off to garner solice and sympathy from the likes of AGD.

I'm sorry, but that's the point my patience runs out. The poll with the negative options was my response.

And there's nothing trollish about me or anyone wanting to voice the opinion that Mike's album is utter shite.

Very well said. Also have reason to suspect Dutchie is another member already on this site, unless he suddenly forgot how to log in a couple of hundred times ...and that's not an exaggeration.  So yeah, I think he's in a better place* to be coddled by Doe and his army"

*= Not referring to the admins at the PS forum as IMHO they seem to be doing a good job from the few times I've glanced over there, but rather a few of the people who caused trouble here and continue to attempt to stir sh*t.

I didnt talk sh*t on the other board about SS board. Just talked about respect. The other thing i dont understand is that you think i have another account. Yes i admit that i put on the poll to trigger some guys. Even that is seem as trolling Huh these 5 pages says more about some guys than me.

@Moderator: please lock this item or remove it. There has been said enough about it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:15:11 AM by Dutchie » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2017, 01:47:52 AM »

What I took exception with regarding the poll is there were no negative options.  It's therefore censorship. This is from the person claiming there was no balance of opinion.

Very well said. Also have reason to suspect Dutchie is another member already on this site, unless he suddenly forgot how to log in a couple of hundred times ...and that's not an exaggeration.  So yeah, I think he's in a better place* to be coddled by Doe and his army"

I didnt talk sh*t on the other board about SS board. Just talked about respect. The other thing i dont understand is that you think i have another account. Yes i admit that i put on the poll to trigger some guys. Even that is seem as trolling Huh these 5 pages says more about some guys than me.

@Moderator: please lock this item or remove it. There has been said enough about it.

I want to clarify that my comment about people talking sh*t about this board on the PS forum was not aimed at you but at other poster(s) here. Though I don’t get why you called this place a “mess” yet refused to carry on dialogue with people who a) answered your original question cordially, and b) asked you about what specific posts made you feel disrespected.

Also, yes, when you attempt to “trigger” forum members that is indeed trolling...your intention to “trigger” is an admission that you wanted to incite irritation amongst members here (trolling). That you didn’t even interact with those who rationally responded to your original question makes me question your intentions....and the poll you put up afterwards that you admittedly put up to annoy people solidifies that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2017, 01:57:17 AM »

It's boring to read dumb pointless theories "If Brian/ Al/  wrote "Pisces Brothers"/ "Kokomo" people would praise it" Roll Eyes as if there's some validity in there. It's pretty big "IF". Brian's style is different than Mike's, ditto Mike's style different than Brian's.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2017, 02:12:37 AM »

What I took exception with regarding the poll is there were no negative options.  It's therefore censorship. This is from the person claiming there was no balance of opinion.

Very well said. Also have reason to suspect Dutchie is another member already on this site, unless he suddenly forgot how to log in a couple of hundred times ...and that's not an exaggeration.  So yeah, I think he's in a better place* to be coddled by Doe and his army"

Want to reply to your last point;

If any member here started an entire thread that mocked the musical taste of a fellow Beach Boys fan and called her names (with the sole intent of mocking that fan) I doubt the leadership here would let that person stay as a member - especially if that person had a history of creating disruption on forums.

But yet again Andrew G Doe gets off the hook. As I was good friends with the leadership there at one point (prior to the inception of the PS forum) I don’t want to come off as too much of a dick (too late, Rab), and I’ve told those guys how I feel privately about this, but I do not understand why certain people were allowed on that forum and (after obvious bully behavior towards fellow fans) why at least one certain person is allowed to stay. It’s simple moral principal.

I also want to clarify my stance on the PS forum. I think most everyone there has great intentions and most every time I’m visiting there it has an atmosphere of positivity and education. No matter where new fans go, it’s great to see people excited about this music. My beef lies with 5% of people there who make up 99% of the scum of this fandom, and the leadership there that allows that scum to continue to bully and god knows what else.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:57 AM »

Got one for you. Remember Harley's? There was one on Holabird Ave. I think it was a local chain.

I don't remember Harley's.  Might be before my time (37 years old). 

I think it's kind of funny that a thread about Mike Love has a side conversion going about hamburger stands. 
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:59 AM »

It's boring to read dumb pointless theories "If Brian/ Al/  wrote "Pisces Brothers"/ "Kokomo" people would praise it" Roll Eyes as if there's some validity in there. It's pretty big "IF". Brian's style is different than Mike's, ditto Mike's style different than Brian's.

Right! Starting from a blatantly false "IF" you could "prove" anything you want. It's not only common sense, it's a basic theorem of logic.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:57:27 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »

I can't answer the poll because it depends. I don't care for this recent cover of Do It Again, nor the 2012 version. Pisces Brothers on the other hand is a simple but beautiful track. I find it funny that a youtube poster named OldSurferDude, whom I call the Mike Love troll, has to leave a  negative comment on any video of a Mike Love song! Maybe  legit feels that way. But I truly believ that if Al wrote Pisces Brothers, the same people would be praising it!

I used to feel the same way, until I realized OSD has been a fan since the beginning and is definitely not some Johnny-Come-Lately who is just piling on. 

For me personally, I always give Mike his due. That's why I get so frustrated, because the man has a HUGE amount of talent that got overlooked because of his other failings , because he's a complete asshole to Brian,and because he makes stupid decisions that overshadow everything. I also dig LBWL. and i'm in the vast minority (and prefer to Imagination by a large margin).

Well, you would be surprised to find that many trolls are older. It doesn't anger me at all. In fact I find it kind of funny actually. I thought Picses Brothers is at the very least harmless and sweet. And yet, you can find his negative comment on youtube! There are plenty of cringe worthy songs by Mike, I agree. But even at his worst, he is better than the awful Kieth Urban. But I don't take the time to comment on all his songs! Lol!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KDS
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2017, 08:20:23 AM »

I can't answer the poll because it depends. I don't care for this recent cover of Do It Again, nor the 2012 version. Pisces Brothers on the other hand is a simple but beautiful track. I find it funny that a youtube poster named OldSurferDude, whom I call the Mike Love troll, has to leave a  negative comment on any video of a Mike Love song! Maybe  legit feels that way. But I truly believ that if Al wrote Pisces Brothers, the same people would be praising it!

Well, you would be surprised to find that many trolls are older. It doesn't anger me at all. In fact I find it kind of funny actually. I thought Picses Brothers is at the very least harmless and sweet. And yet, you can find his negative comment on youtube! There are plenty of cringe worthy songs by Mike, I agree. But even at his worst, he is better than the awful Kieth Urban. But I don't take the time to comment on all his songs! Lol!!

I think the difference between Mike and Keith Urban is that there was a time when Mike had a hand is writing some classic songs, but his recent material doesn't stack up.  Meanwhile Keith Urban (or insert almost any other artist who's emerged in the last 25 years) has always sucked.   Grin
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »

Give me Country Mike to Urban Keith any day.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »

OK, that does it! From now on I'll promise to always agree with you on your opinions. Honest. I mean shouldn't we all always agree on everything?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »

OK, that does it! From now on I'll promise to always agree with you on your opinions. Honest. I mean shouldn't we all always agree on everything?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Are you Old Surfer Dude on YouTube? I have no issue with your opinions or anyone else’s being different than mine. I’m just not sure how serious you are. I will agree with you on a lot, if not most of Mike’s music. But when someone says Big Sur sucks, I think they are joking.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »

Big Sur is one of my favorites. ..both the Holland and the 3/4 version.  I actually haven't heard the remake yet so I personally cannot comment on it.

The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »

OSD, what are your opinions on some of Mike’s more celebrated songs such as Big Sur, All I Wanna Do, Meant For You, etc. Do you dislike those as much as most of the others or do you like any of them at all? I’m genuinely asking.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »

OSD, what are your opinions on some of Mike’s more celebrated songs such as Big Sur, All I Wanna Do, Meant For You, etc. Do you dislike those as much as most of the others or do you like any of them at all? I’m genuinely asking.

Also, all the great lyrics on Wild Honey, and all his wonderful contributions before that which played a HUGE part in what made the Beach Boys great.

I don't think many of us dispute that.

We want to give Mike his due.

It's Mike who makes it consistently hard to do so.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »

Also, all the great lyrics on Wild Honey, and all his wonderful contributions before that which played a HUGE part in what made the Beach Boys great.

I don't think many of us dispute that.

We want to give Mike his due.

It's Mike who makes it consistently hard to do so.
Of course! I know Mike is given credit where it's due by most people around here, I just have wondered whether OSD has a soft spot for any of his post '66 songs since many of them are different from anything he has ever done. I know he has often commented how he dislikes many of his songs but I just want to know if those are lumped in with them. And if they are for what reasons?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »

Sorry, guys, but I've had myKe luHv figured out for many years. I do not like him, his voice, his stage presence, or his feeble attempts at writing music. AIWD was a Brian Wilson tune with words by the luHvster but most likely produced by Carl or Brian or both. Big Sur is barely ok. I stand by the comments I've made on youtube, here and elsewhere.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2017, 03:08:33 AM »

Are you Old Surfer Dude on YouTube? I have no issue with your opinions or anyone else’s being different than mine. I’m just not sure how serious you are. I will agree with you on a lot, if not most of Mike’s music. But when someone says Big Sur sucks, I think they are joking.

I've often run into OSD's YT comments on Mike tracks. I just get a good laugh out of them. It's so predictable----almost every ML track on YouTube gets the OSD treatment (e.g. "why waste good studio time recording this sh*t"). Whatever the spirit in which these comments are made, I class them with OSD's excellent jokes in the Sandbox.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx