gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:17:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who wrote the Lucky Old Sun vocal intro?  (Read 14088 times)
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »

Brian or Scott Bennet? I think it's the best thing on the album, but I fear it was written by Scott, because on the demo he sings all the voices...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 04:58:49 AM »

In the Joe Thomas interview from a couple years ago, Joe tells a story about ‘Think About The Days’ - Brian wrote all the vocal parts but the demo was done all by Jeff Foskett (as Brian couldn’t hit some of the high notes, so why not just have Jeff do the whole thing). I’m not sure at all the same thing happened for this intro, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:02:55 AM »

Brian or Scott Bennet? I think it's the best thing on the album, but I fear it was written by Scott, because on the demo he sings all the voices...

Why would you fear it was written by Scott? If you think it's the best thing on the album, why aren't you just glad someone wrote it? The result is good or bad regardless of its author, and who its author was shouldn't impact your opinion of the work.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:25 AM »

Why would you fear it was written by Scott? If you think it's the best thing on the album, why aren't you just glad someone wrote it? The result is good or bad regardless of its author, and who its author was shouldn't impact your opinion of the work.

I gotta say, I felt fairly sad when I first found out the outro to ‘Sunshine’ wasn’t a Brian Wilson creation. But years since learning this I’m just glad Brian heard a great idea and wanted to add it to his album...it’s a great little outro no matter who came up with it. One thing that helped me realize I shouldn’t feel weird about Brian using other people’s ideas was learning about Brian’s recording style over the years: one of his first hits he kinda took an exact copy of a song from Chuck Berry, and there are plenty of other instances of Brian using other people’s ideas. It’s just part of his style.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »

I think it's natural to want to make superheroes and supervillains out of people we like or don't like, but if you step back, it is a little silly and unreasonable. Once Brian is a genius, you want all Beach Boys/BW-affiliated genius to be his, you know? But it is irrelevant, really, if your main objective is finding great music to enjoy (as opposed to finding a god to worship).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »

Agreed, that is really well said Captain. Be a fan of BW for what he did (f*** ton of material) than trying to invent more stuff.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:34:32 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »

Agreed, that is really well said Captain. Be a fan of BW for what he did (f*** ton of material) than trying to invent more stuff.

Yeah, and besides, we all know deep down that myKe luHv wrote it, right?  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »

Would've been 25% better  LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »

It's a 25 percent thang! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »

Would've been 25% better  LOL

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL (good one Cap!!)

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »

The Captain is the god of SS humor! LOL

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »

Then it may disappoint you to learn I didn't write the vocal intro to TLOS.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »

Did you ghost write SIP in 1992 then?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »

What kind of god do you take me for?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 12:02:14 PM »

Loki of Norse tradition....

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »

At one point, it was widely speculated that Scott had written Southern California because he sang it on the demos (which I believe leaked before the finished album did). That wasn't true either. What Brian did write, without a doubt, was the TLOS round, which you can hear only at a low volume at the end of the album, and is a pure wall of wacky BW. They performed it as a separate song at some concerts.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »

Wow, is there a clip of that?

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »

Wow, is there a clip of that?

IIRC, they would do it in the first set as a little teaser for the full performance of the album in the second set. So not more than 30 second to a minute. But still, a cool little thing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »

In the Joe Thomas interview from a couple years ago, Joe tells a story about ‘Think About The Days’ - Brian wrote all the vocal parts but the demo was done all by Jeff Foskett (as Brian couldn’t hit some of the high notes, so why not just have Jeff do the whole thing). I’m not sure at all the same thing happened for this intro, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Was that in ESQ, or somewhere else? Would love to read the whole thing (if I haven't already and simply forgotten about it...)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »

What kind of god do you take me for?

If you are indeed a God of humor then why don't you try to come up with some Al/Sal/Pete/Libueno ideas to jump-start the moribund Jardine thread, in honor of Zeppo Wilson (not to mention Gummo). It's silly but there's great opportunity for creativity there, although it requires a certain type. But I digress.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:26:18 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »

Honestly, I just assume that Scott Bennett wrote all of the music on the album; that way, I can only be pleasantly surprised if it turns out Brian actually wrote some of it.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 09:40:56 PM »

Honestly, I just assume that Scott Bennett wrote all of the music on the album; that way, I can only be pleasantly surprised if it turns out Brian actually wrote some of it.

It's a patronizing oversimplification to criticize people's motives in wanting Brian to have composed a particular piece of music. It's not just shallow hero worship and idolatry, it goes to a more profound issue of having faith in and deriving pleasure from the creativity of someone important to you, that you identify with. If one discovers that one's favorite musical piece in an album was in fact written by someone else. it can be disillusioning or at least disappointing, although hopefully one can enjoy it just the same for what it is, whoever composed it. I'm like that with Midnight's Another Day from the album, it would be inspiring to think that BW was capable of writing something that good by himself at this point in his life, although I know that's probably not possible.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that an artist like Brian elevates the people around them. Brian got the best performances out of his session musicians and background singers, the best lyrics out of his partners, etc. His creativity and enthusiasm for other peoples ideas brings out the best in the people who work with him. So, yes, Joe Thomas wrote the outro to Sunshine, but Brian Wilson brought him to the place where he could create that.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 10:57:06 PM »

So, yes, Joe Thomas wrote the outro to Sunshine, but Brian Wilson brought him to the place where he could create that.

Yeah, I don't know about that... I think what brought Joe Thomas to the place where he could create that was that Brian Wilson wasn't writing the material needed for the album.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 01:24:40 AM »

As Joe Thomas stated around the time of NPP, their main composing method now consists of Joe writing the chord sequences, and Brian supplying the melody.

The main thing that has always drawn me to Brian's music is his chord sequences, so learning this little nugget of information explained and justified why Imagination, TWGMTR and NPP leave me cold. There is nothing in those albums which have what I love about Brian's music in them. No chord sequences which leave me spinning in dizziness, no left field yet supremely logical arrangements. Just the boring MOR stamp of Joe Thomas over them.

But I don't mind this. I'm happy Brian is creating music still which people love. At this stage in his career he has earned the right to work in any damn way he pleases. He owes me nothing.

I don't know what the working method was with Scott on TLOS. There was the video of Scott at the piano. Brian seemed to know the chord he was after, but it was down to Scott to find it. So perhaps Scott acted as somewhere betwen a transcriber and interpreter. Whatever the method, there is more 'Brian Wilson' on this album than anything else he's done recently.  To my ears anyway.

The Christmas album I love though. Listen to those arrangements. Brian's all over that baby.

My personal opinion is this. And I know people will disagree........but.......

I think Brian still has his musical chops. Like in the '71 Surf's Up sessions, if he hears something he'll come running down those stairs to input his spark.

And it'll be great.

But do all the work for Brian, let him stay up in bed creatively as Joe Thomas seems to do, and Brian will take the path of least resistance.

Brian,  you stay in bed all you like my friend, you gave us a lifetime of music in ten short (infinite) years.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx