gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:22:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The cringiest BB moment?  (Read 20142 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

The video speaks for itself. As if the song didn't speak volumes already, the video speaks for itself.

You think you've seen so much that you're jaded, you're used to it, nothing can surprise you anymore, etc.

Then something like that shows up.

Smart move, disabling comments on YouTube.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »

the stupid part is an 11 year old kid can make a better video for this
than what has been presented to boot! 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »

Missed opportunity, if Stamos had found a way to incorporate Dr. Phil, a bowl full of yogurt, and a glass of pink blush wine into this video, they could have cornered the yoga pants and romance novel demographic in one fell swoop.

But seriously, who or what is the target audience for this?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 02:39:36 PM »

Ever notice that Carl always wore those dark sunglasses when he was in something really embarrassing such as this? (ex. "Problem Child" music video, "Crocodile Rock" promo, etc). Can't say I don't blame him!

Yes!  I have long thought the same thing.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 03:42:57 PM »

Smart guy. Carl Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »

I'm very grateful that John Stamos did not find some way to stick footage of Carl or Dennis into that "Do It Again" video.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 06:42:15 AM »

I'm very grateful that John Stamos did not find some way to stick footage of Carl or Dennis into that "Do It Again" video.

I wonder how Al feels being in it....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »

East Meets West.  Other equally awful things (Problem Child) followed, but East Meets West was a new low at the time, and arguably the final descent into tribute band status.

East Meets West is great! A Bob Gaudio-Frankie Valli-Beach Boys collaboration: who could ask for more? And even Brian gets a great vocal hook at the end. So much talent on that record.

Supposedly Dennis died of a broken heart after hearing the sessions for that travesty.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »

I remember a while back there was a video of a concert circa 1977 where they were singing Airplane/Back Home. When they were done singing the first song Brian ran to the front of the stage and almost crashed into Mike. Then Mike and Brian start talking, and it looks like Mike's really ticked off, waving his arms around and yelling. I don't know if it was because of what Brian did or something else. Al Jardine is talking to the audience, saying things like "Alright, here's Brian, with a new song, we're getting ready here..." etc. Then the video shows Al's concerned face, zooms out to show Brian looking really angry when adjusting his microphone and then smacking it. His vocals on Back Home were very hoarse but I think he was straining his voice on purpose because he was angry. Then when the song is done he hands/shoves the bass to Mike, says something then walks off while Mike is left awkwardly trying to play a few notes on the bass, I guess to try and save face or something.

When I saw the video I thought it was very surreal, cringey, and sad, a far cry from the early days when they looked so happy performing. Looks like the clip disappeared though, so I can't post it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:12:03 PM by JL » Logged
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2017, 02:56:35 PM »

Several years ago I read on the ME Board and I think it was even in Carlin's book that Brian was once found playing for drinks in a gay bar in San Diego. Cringe.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »

Hands down. That time Mike's Beach Boys played at two inaugural balls to celebrate the beginning of Donald Trump's presidency.

Though perhaps it went past cringe and into actual retching.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:30:40 PM by doinnothin » Logged

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2017, 03:30:24 PM »

Hands down. That time Mike's Beach Boys played at inaugural balls to celebrate the beginning of Donald Trump's presidency.

Thought perhaps it went past cringe and into actual retching.
Without playing the actual one to avoid "criticism", yet Mike was seen in the inaugural crowd...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2017, 08:05:57 AM »

The Mike Love "Girls Trifecta"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJMqXZFmb6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSCylIA8Yr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB3NTDcuPw8

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfVCMgQOMM&ab_channel=CapitalConcerts
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »

Mike once sang a little ditty called "Rockin' the Main in the Boat" which is about as cringy as one could get. I know it was on a solo outing (no pun intended)...but wow! Even more cringy when I picture him with that awful jacket from the album cover!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2017, 06:27:46 AM »

Brace yourself fans (and foes) of "Problem Child"; this thing has actually just made it to HD on Blu-ray.....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2017, 06:43:15 AM »

Brace yourself fans (and foes) of "Problem Child"; this thing has actually just made it to HD on Blu-ray.....

I got a promo VHS of that movie when I was ten years old.  No lies, I must have watched it about 3-4 times with a friend in a single weekend.  And I couldn't wait to go to the theaters to see the sequel in summer 1991. 

But, my goodness, talk about a movie that didn't age well.  And I LOVE dumb comedies from the late 80s / early 90s. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »

I think Problem Child's greatest claim to fame is that it's the movie Robert De Niro is watching in that famous movie theater scene in Cape Fear when he's laughing and smoking a cigar in front of Nick Nolte and his family, a scene which was memorable enough that it was parodied in The Simpsons.  So it's got that going for it. https://youtu.be/M6HxD6sZ-I0

KDS
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

I think Problem Child's greatest claim to fame is that it's the movie Robert De Niro is watching in that famous movie theater scene in Cape Fear when he's laughing and smoking a cigar in front of Nick Nolte and his family, a scene which was memorable enough that it was parodied in The Simpsons.  So it's got that going for it. https://youtu.be/M6HxD6sZ-I0

I forgot about that. 

The movie actually has a fairly strong cast - John Ritter, Amy Yasbeck, Jack Warden, and Michael Richards (Seinfeld will still finding its way when this movie was released). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

Regarding the awful song and video for the BBs "Problem Child", it's funny that awhile back someone noted that it may be a "tell" on the part of Carl that he's not into the project when he wears sunglasses in the music video. I figured that was probably not *really* likely to be true, but then I start to wonder when I see this TV news report on the making of the music video, where Stamos, Mike, Bruce, Al, and even the kid from the movie sit down for interviews but Carl is nowhere to be seen in the interview sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMmx5QBaqY

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »

I learned this week due to a non-BBs related Problem Child 2 discussion--the very existence of which makes me question my life choices--the below, as found at Wikipedia.

Frustrated with the criticisms of the first one, [the screenwriters] deliberately increased the poor taste in the sequel, intending to make a Pasolini or John Waters film for children, and went so far overboard that the first cut received an R rating from the MPAA, a secret kept until their 2014 appearance on the podcast. Dubbing over Junior's use of the terms "fuckface" and "p*ssy whipped" got the film a PG-13 rating on appeal, but the studio was still so nervous that, at the last minute, they added the Woody Woodpecker cartoon Smoked Hams to the film's theatrical release, to reassure parents that the film was suitable for children.[3]

Reception
The film did not fare as well as the first one, earning half as much at the U.S. box-office.[1] Rotten Tomatoes reports that 7% of 27 surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating was 2.4/10. The sites consensus read: "Crude, rude, puerile, and pointless, Problem Child 2 represents a cynical nadir in family-marketed entertainment."

So I think an association with that movie is not their finest moment. That said, from my personal point of view, while I thought the live show was still quite good after KTSA (such as in the Knebworth show), the remainder of the '80s and pretty much the entirety of the '90s were pretty bad for the band, for many different reasons. They weren't unique among 60s icons to have similar problems, and they weren't uniformly abysmal. But for my own taste, it's not a good 20 years when the best I can say is "that's kind of funny" or "that's not so terrible." Whether it's the 25th anniversary show, the 85 album (or any of the other albums in that period, actually), the guest appearances, the TV shows ... it was all pretty bad, to my taste.

The improvements came from different places: Brian touring and releasing new music again helped spur interest in the catalogue; the reissues during that period helped do the same, including the deep cuts and unreleased material; the traveling Beach Boys made some serious upgrades to eventually reach their current, stellar quality as a live act (unfortunate splintering notwithstanding). But oof. If the '70s saw less commercial success (with albums, anyway) but some really strong material, the 80s and 90s just mostly saw the damn shame of a band trying to find its path: pure nostalgia, modern trends, somewhere down the middle, and none of it helped with the intraband squabbles.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MatchPoint
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »

This is up there for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5A-597o0E

I'm not sure if it's the song, or the leather pants, or seeing Brian Wilson standing up so much.

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »

Regarding the awful song and video for the BBs "Problem Child", it's funny that awhile back someone noted that it may be a "tell" on the part of Carl that he's not into the project when he wears sunglasses in the music video. I figured that was probably not *really* likely to be true, but then I start to wonder when I see this TV news report on the making of the music video, where Stamos, Mike, Bruce, Al, and even the kid from the movie sit down for interviews but Carl is nowhere to be seen in the interview sessions:

And yet Carl sang on it, but walked out on Brian and the reunion album in 1995. I don't get it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2017, 11:15:02 PM »

If this was real, it would be up there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2017, 11:16:20 PM »

And yet Carl sang on it, but walked out on Brian and the reunion album in 1995. I don't get it.

That's how I feel too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx