gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:18:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The cringiest BB moment?  (Read 20133 times)
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »

Upon hearing that the new BB album was out, walking to the local record shop full of unbridled anticipation. Could absolutely not wait to hear what was going to follow PS due to hearing "H&V" on the AM radio and bits of chatter here and there about how great it was supposed to be. Walking quickly home, I opened it up and put it on my JC Penny stereo, and had the most incredible WTF BB listening session in my life only to be followed very closely behind my Love You first listening session.

That must've been strange. At the time, did it reflect your opinion of their previous work?

The closest thing I can compare it to is being a big fan of the band Weezer. They released 2 creative, sensitive, rocking albums in 1994 and 1996. Their next album didn't come until 2001, and was much more commercially-focused. It felt like a punch in the stomach.  So I can see how Smiley would have been an off-putting experience at the time.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »

I got married the morning of this SNL appearance. Didn't turn out well. The evening with friends and family watching this that is.

SNL, 11/27/76.

The most painful evening of my lifelong love for the music and legacy of Brian Wilson. A mix of cringe, embarrassment, and sorrow. I always dreamed of hearing Brian Wilson at the piano doing a live solo version of "Good Vibrations," but not like this. Knowing what we know now, it's hard to imagine what this moment was like back then for die hards like us.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2017, 11:27:06 PM »

Huh.  I always thought that SNL appearance was pretty cool.

Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »

The entire group "surfboard strut" portion of the Summer of Love video. The absolute nadir of the bands entire career.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:33:26 PM by Looking Back With Love » Logged
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFsJk6PWu0
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »

First time seeing this. A Love Thang indeed.  Undecided
Looking at the credits I mis-read the co-executive producer's name. Thought it was David Barf (actually Braff)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 04:36:46 PM »

East Meets West.  Other equally awful things (Problem Child) followed, but East Meets West was a new low at the time, and arguably the final descent into tribute band status.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »

Ever notice that Carl always wore those dark sunglasses when he was in something really embarrassing such as this? (ex. "Problem Child" music video, "Crocodile Rock" promo, etc). Can't say I don't blame him!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »

The SNL when Dan A. and John B. arrested Brian W. and took him to the beach to MAKE HIM surf was pretty upsetting for me.  My first listen to Smiley Smile and my first listen to Love You were both horrible and OH-SO disappointing audio memories.  The R & R Hall of fame 'thing' was just rock bottom effin' awful.  Other items mentioned here in the thread, while valid as low points, aren't necessarily the ones the largest possible number of people were subjected too...ie:  the ones which did the most damage. That's why the 4th of July thing was so qawd-awful 2 weeks ago.  The largest possible audience to 'tune in' the beached boys in how long...and THAT is what they saw and heard?  sh*t!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »

The SNL when Dan A. and John B. arrested Brian W. and took him to the beach to MAKE HIM surf was pretty upsetting for me.  My first listen to Smiley Smile and my first listen to Love You were both horrible and OH-SO disappointing audio memories.  The R & R Hall of fame 'thing' was just rock bottom effin' awful.  Other items mentioned here in the thread, while valid as low points, aren't necessarily the ones the largest possible number of people were subjected too...ie:  the ones which did the most damage. That's why the 4th of July thing was so qawd-awful 2 weeks ago.  The largest possible audience to 'tune in' the beached boys in how long...and THAT is what they saw and heard?  sh*t!!!

Agree...but Baywatch at the time the Summer Of Love debacle aired had an astronomical worldwide viewing audience, the numbers were staggering for that show. And they got to see Mike rapping, preening, and Stamos playing electronic drums on the beach.

I'd say at this point "DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!" and "It's a LOVE THING..." are neck-and-neck at this point, with Baywatch still winning out by a nose.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »

Not the cringiest, but South Bay Surfer is worthy of a mention. It's a mess and sure as hell is embarrassing alongside Surfer Girl, In My Room, Little Deuce Coupe, and Catch A Wave (and the rest of the album for that matter!). Typically, it bothers me how frequently posters throw around the term "filler", but in this case it is totally appropriate. It sounds sloppy, incomplete, and tossed together. The most cringe-worthy bits being Mike's prominent bass vocal interjections -"We'll find the big one" - "they take the big one". Then, when it's time for the next one we faintly hear a mumbled "you're gonna eat it". The unison singing, the lyrics, the production, the mix...it all sounds amateurish. The drum fill sounds worse in the mono mix, unfortunately. Anyway, with all that said, I still listen to it from time to time and kinda enjoy it. I don't HATE it, but in the context of the Surfer Girl album I think it's cringe-worthy.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:53:37 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »

East Meets West.  Other equally awful things (Problem Child) followed, but East Meets West was a new low at the time, and arguably the final descent into tribute band status.

East Meets West is great! A Bob Gaudio-Frankie Valli-Beach Boys collaboration: who could ask for more? And even Brian gets a great vocal hook at the end. So much talent on that record.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »

The SNL when Dan A. and John B. arrested Brian W. and took him to the beach to MAKE HIM surf was pretty upsetting for me. 

That actually wasn't from SNL.  It was from the Lorne Michaels produced Beach Boys TV special in 1976 to promote 15 Big Ones.  It's available on DVD under the title Good Vibrations Tour.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 11:24:29 PM »

Huh.  I always thought that SNL appearance was pretty cool.

You know, I went back and listened to it for the first time since '76...and I have to agree with you. Thanks for helping me revisit and reconsider a bad memory...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQSUTCafD0
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:15 AM »

The song has pretty cheesy 80s production values, but it at least had some legitimacy in that it was an *original* song written by the Four Seasons duo of Gaudio/Crewe, and the vocals on it are solid. It's a catchy enough song. It's not brilliant, but only the production values and requisite stiff 80s guitar "shredding" are close to cringe-worthy.

The band had done things (e.g. the entire 1981 tour) that were far more cringe-worthy and damaging to their careers prior.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 06:29:01 AM »

The entire group "surfboard strut" portion of the Summer of Love video. The absolute nadir of the bands entire career.

I think the entire debacle of them being on the show was pretty embarrassing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 06:30:52 AM »

It's so perfect and fitting that Mike Love gets *top* billing among the guest stars. It appears as though the BBs are listed first before the other actors, and are listed individually and alphabetically, *except* for Mike, who is listed first. Then he's followed by Al, Bruce, Brian, and Carl in that order alphabetically.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »

Plus making taller BW hunch behind Mike as he was leading the surfboard group shot.  Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 09:57:49 AM »

It's so perfect and fitting that Mike Love gets *top* billing among the guest stars. It appears as though the BBs are listed first before the other actors, and are listed individually and alphabetically, *except* for Mike, who is listed first. Then he's followed by Al, Bruce, Brian, and Carl in that order alphabetically.
I guess it's because he has more lines than the others?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

I guess it's because he has more lines than the others?

Or that he was the main perpetrator of that debacle...Mike had the wheel at that time, he was the skipper of the boat. Brian's expression in that video says it all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:20 AM »

The SNL when Dan A. and John B. arrested Brian W. and took him to the beach to MAKE HIM surf was pretty upsetting for me. 

That actually wasn't from SNL.  It was from the Lorne Michaels produced Beach Boys TV special in 1976 to promote 15 Big Ones.  It's available on DVD under the title Good Vibrations Tour.

I thought that as I posted it.  Couldn't truly remember.  It's all that really stood out.  And I watched it when it first aired.  Bloody awful.  THAT entire figgin' horror sequence.  Supposedly funny but entirely cringe-wallowing and completely mean spirited.   Hated it then.  Hate it now. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »

ummmmmm, this fresh turd......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4inGP8qMnPE&t=108s
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »

Holy sh*t...that's hot off the press! Directed by John Stamos! I guess Noven Jaisi was unavailable for that shoot.

Interesting that comments have already been disabled...

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2017, 11:22:51 AM »

That official video should do wonders for the commercial viability of Mike as a solo artist.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »

just when you think the clusterfuck couldn't get worse, and then this
pops up! Holy Fucking Christ!
(kinda makes 'SIP' look good eh?)  Cool Guy
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx