gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:10:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The cringiest BB moment?  (Read 20136 times)
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »

Okay before everyone starts typing "WELL IT'S A LOVE THANG" let's stop and think about this here. The Boys are no stranger to shall we say questionable moments both musically and in real life. What would you say is the cringiest thing they have ever done (individual members too)?

Personally I have to say watching Brian be interviewed while Landy wraps his arms around him like a mother figure was pretty difficult to watch, or the beautiful rendition of Good Vibrations while Carl is piss ass drunk.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:51:08 AM »

Wipeout (featuring the Fat Boys) - The Beach Boys

That they made the song is one thing - it was a terrible time for all music. But to make such an embarrassing music video??

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:33:17 AM »

Wipeout and SOL certainly rank up near the top. Performance wise, the televised live show from the Queen Mary with an absent Carl and Brian straining on Don't Worry Baby. Their most cringe worthy performance if you ask me. All these years later, and I can't get it out of my mind.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »

Upon hearing that the new BB album was out, walking to the local record shop full of unbridled anticipation. Could absolutely not wait to hear what was going to follow PS due to hearing "H&V" on the AM radio and bits of chatter here and there about how great it was supposed to be. Walking quickly home, I opened it up and put it on my JC Penny stereo, and had the most incredible WTF BB listening session in my life only to be followed very closely behind my Love You first listening session.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »

Miming The Beach Boys Medley on American Bandstand in 1981 is definitely up there.  Brian mouthing Carl's lead on Good Vibrations being maybe the most surreal moment. https://youtu.be/CbX3rKMHYy4

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:18:47 AM »

Upon hearing that the new BB album was out, walking to the local record shop full of unbridled anticipation. Could absolutely not wait to hear what was going to follow PS due to hearing "H&V" on the AM radio and bits of chatter here and there about how great it was supposed to be. Walking quickly home, I opened it up and put it on my JC Penny stereo, and had the most incredible WTF BB listening session in my life only to be followed very closely behind my Love You first listening session.

This is a really interesting perspective on it. There was basically no transition from the sweeping orchestral and harmonious vibes you get from Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile. SMiLE seemed to be a perfect transition because Brian was still using session musicians but to a somewhat lesser degree than Pet Sounds. But instead SMiLE never came out and the fans in the 60s got a stripped down/bare bones Beach Boys with Smiley.

OSD, did you buy Wild Honey and Friends at the time they were released? If so, how did you feel about them?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »

I think there are many; some are funny, like the 1980 GMA interview with Joan Lunden. For me, one of the worst decisions and cringe-inducing eras was the introduction of the cheerleaders onstage in the 1990's. It was just so sad to see, and they really didn't need them.  I can only guess that  it was Mike's idea. I suppose the other guys went along with it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »

Murry selling the Sea of Tunes catalogue for peanuts beats anything in terms of cringeworthiness that the Boys ever did.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »

The original version of "Hey Little Tomboy" during the breakdown.
The 1981 American Bandstand appearance
The 1981 Long Beach appearance
"Summer Of Love" video

The 1980 GMA appearance is up there, but if you squint at it a certain way it's actually somewhat hilarious.  I can't squint at the four examples above in any way.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »

Seeing as the original poster addressed both personal and musical affairs, I think Dennis marrying Mike's illegitimate daughter takes the cake over anything else any of these guys have ever done.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 07:05:27 PM »

Any number of sitcom appearances, however the 'Beach Boys Huddle' from Full House gets the raspberry from me.  Razz

https://youtu.be/HJ-750WUk3s

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »

Mike's RnR HOF speech.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 09:04:28 PM »

Miming The Beach Boys Medley on American Bandstand in 1981 is definitely up there.  Brian mouthing Carl's lead on Good Vibrations being maybe the most surreal moment. https://youtu.be/CbX3rKMHYy4

This.

And Dennis drunk on Good Morning America.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »

Early Album Talk Tracks
Vegatables
Most of Smiley Smile
Mt Vernon and Fairway
Love You
Here Comes the Night 79
Summer of Love
Runaway Dancer
Do It Again 17
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 05:07:22 AM »

This is up there for me. I like the song too, but not like this. I would rather see him behind a keyboard.

https://youtu.be/rgKwVpcKqYw?t=2m23s
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »

This is a really interesting perspective on it. There was basically no transition from the sweeping orchestral and harmonious vibes you get from Pet Sounds to Smiley Smile. SMiLE seemed to be a perfect transition because Brian was still using session musicians but to a somewhat lesser degree than Pet Sounds. But instead SMiLE never came out and the fans in the 60s got a stripped down/bare bones Beach Boys with Smiley.

OSD, did you buy Wild Honey and Friends at the time they were released? If so, how did you feel about them?

Yes, I did, Rab. I wasn't going to let one stinker ruin the BB thing for me. They were still getting airplay with "WH", "Darlin' " and even "Friends" but it would be next year's "Do It Again" that garnered the most attention. I basically knew their big hit days were dwindling but they were/are part of my being and I knew that I was hooked forever. I absolute loved the WH lp with "HCTN" being my go to song then and now. Friends certainly had a laid back vibe that I played often to kind of chill to. "BDN" has always resonated with me for some reason. They were albums that stayed home when attending a party because my piers weren't BB friendly but everyone knew I was a huge fan. I always knew, however, that I would be vindicated in the long run but had to wait for the 70's for that to take place.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »

Good stuff OSD! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 10:08:26 AM »

Moments?

Summer Of Love video on Baywatch.

Mike appearing on Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous.

Dean Cain being green-screened onto year-old unused footage of Mike and band at the Hollywood Christmas Parade to appear as if Dean was plugging Mike's book at a live and/or current performance.

That hideous Super Bowl pregame party thing with Ruth Buzzi

Landy hugging Brian on a TV interview

The video of Mike's microphone cutting out during a performance featuring Stamos, and Mike's replacement mic cutting out as well.

Mike crooning a Christmas carol to a live lamb being held by Mary MacGregor for a Radio Shack TV special.

Mike and Dean Torrence singing Jingle Bell Rock in a sleigh for the same special.

The R&R Hall Of Fame debacle, not even his speech but when Mike insists on adjusting Brian's microphone multiple times during Brian's speech.

"DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!...etc."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »

Somebody needs Wink Martindale to ask him about those! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »

Dennis Wilson in the Twien TV Appearance
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »

SNL, 11/27/76.

The most painful evening of my lifelong love for the music and legacy of Brian Wilson. A mix of cringe, embarrassment, and sorrow. I always dreamed of hearing Brian Wilson at the piano doing a live solo version of "Good Vibrations," but not like this. Knowing what we know now, it's hard to imagine what this moment was like back then for die hards like us.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:58:49 PM by PS » Logged
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 01:01:36 PM »

And this didn't help matters any...

clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 02:00:32 PM »

What about when Brian went off on a tangent about Phil Spector after being asked a question about groupies by Joan Rivers?
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »

Christ, I forgot about that lifestyles of the rich and famous video. I think the first time I saw it I burst out laughing and then slowly got more and more angry as the video went on before started laughing at the absurdity of the whole thing. The shot of Mike rubbing his body while he talks about "cooties" while a raga plays in the background is still hilarious but still makes me shudder at the thought of it
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »

DIA '17 is more cringier than Wrinkles, to these ears. In fact, I'd take Wrinkles on repeat over a single DIA '17 listening.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx