gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:59:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino Prepping New Movie Tackling Manson Murders  (Read 33813 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »

Gawd, I wish people would let that Manson bastard die! Can't we find anything better to make films and write books about than a mass murderer? If it had been up to me, we never would have even known the name of that piece of sh*t.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 04:53:11 AM »

A second trailer. Due July.

https://youtu.be/IilE3l2GeiQ
Mishmashy but still will see it. Did DiCaprio change accent? He talks weird. Brad Pitt looks cool in his 50s. Aged well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »

A second trailer. Due July.

https://youtu.be/IilE3l2GeiQ

Wow! This looks great! I'm in!  Smokin
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »

The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are almost all good and very good.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »

Yep. At Cannes premiere, by the end it got 6-minute claps by viewers.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »

Dude has never made a bad movie...his movies range from very good to classic. In 40 years he will be on lists of top 10 greatest filmmakers of all time....even tho he’s not everyone’s taste with all the violence and swearing...

Has it been confirmed yet if Dennis will be in it or not? He’s obviously only going to be a small part if he’s in it all since all the main actors roles are known and none of them are Dennis and he’s not in the trailer. I wouldn’t be suprised if he’s in 1 scene or something but who knows might not be in it at all. Guessing no one has confirmed either way yet? Or maybe never learn not to love or another BB song will be on the soundtrack...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:30:59 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2019, 10:02:31 PM »

Dude has never made a bad movie...his movies range from very good to classic. In 40 years he will be on lists of top 10 greatest filmmakers of all time....even tho he’s not everyone’s taste with all the violence and swearing...

Has it been confirmed yet if Dennis will be in it or not? He’s obviously only going to be a small part if he’s in it all since all the main actors roles are known and none of them are Dennis and he’s not in the trailer. I wouldn’t be suprised if he’s in 1 scene or something but who knows might not be in it at all. Guessing no one has confirmed either way yet? Or maybe never learn not to love or another BB song will be on the soundtrack...
The world would have been a better place if Dennis had killed Manson.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »

The world would have been a better place if Dennis had killed Manson.
He'd be in jail. Btw, agree re: Tarantino = great film-maker.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 03:37:53 PM »

Was that Jim Carrey playing Manson?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »

They didn't mention Carrey in trailer, doesn't look like he either. It'd be huge miscast if he played Manson.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »

Was that Jim Carrey playing Manson?

No, it's Damon Herriman. Apparently, he will also play Manson in the Netflix show Mindhunter.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0380632/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t8
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:21:58 AM by Gettin Hungry » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2019, 10:38:58 AM »

I saw the movie last night. I thought it was great. There is one passing reference made (by the Manson character) to Terry and Dennis Wilson here but that's it. Otherwise, there is no mention of The Beach Boys. There is also only one scene with Charles Manson in it. While the Manson family and the Tate murder plays a big role in the film, Charles Manson himself plays a very minor role. He's talked about a few times. But it's not a Manson movie.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »

I too saw it last night, and absolutely loved it.  It's Tarantino, so it's not without its...issues...but for people who love the idea of Los Angeles in the 60s, it's going to push those buttons.  While it's true that there is minimal reference to the Dennis, It's so easy in your head to connect the zeitgeist of the Beach Boys world to the zeitgeist of the film.  You can imagine the Boys prepping Sunflower just a quick drive down Beverly Glen and over to Bel Air on Sunset.

As for the Manson aspect, it is definitely not a Charles Manson film.  Without giving too much away, while certainly the whole film is tied to things that happened for which Manson was likely a sine qua non, as it were, but the people and events are separated from him and not about him.

There's a lot more about the film I could say, but the main thing is that if you ever want to just ride around LA listening to Boss Hitbound records with the Real Don Steele on KHJ, this is for you.
Curt Lambert
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2019, 09:25:35 AM »

Dennis is mentioned once by name by Manson when he is outside the house looking for Dennis and Terry Melcher. Scene is set sometime before the infamous night.  Manson of course, was not at the house that night. I didn't hear NLNHTL in soundtrack, but perhaps it is there. Wild and fun film. The ending is...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 09:33:58 AM »

I too saw it last night, and absolutely loved it.  It's Tarantino, so it's not without its...issues...but for people who love the idea of Los Angeles in the 60s, it's going to push those buttons.  While it's true that there is minimal reference to the Dennis, It's so easy in your head to connect the zeitgeist of the Beach Boys world to the zeitgeist of the film.  You can imagine the Boys prepping Sunflower just a quick drive down Beverly Glen and over to Bel Air on Sunset.

As for the Manson aspect, it is definitely not a Charles Manson film.  Without giving too much away, while certainly the whole film is tied to things that happened for which Manson was likely a sine qua non, as it were, but the people and events are separated from him and not about him.

There's a lot more about the film I could say, but the main thing is that if you ever want to just ride around LA listening to Boss Hitbound records with the Real Don Steele on KHJ, this is for you.

It is definitely for me then, since I have been wanting to do that for a long time.  Grin

I will be seeing the film soon, after catching Echo In The Canyon last weekend. I was put off by a few negative reviews, and the trailers seem more than a bit deceptive, as both Manson and Sharon Tate are featured prominently in the trailers yet from what I've heard Tate's character has little to say in the film and as written above Manson barely plays a role other than being the undercurrent of the plot...so I questioned why the Manson/Tate elements were so prominently used to advertise the film.

But I will see it and report back once I do. And one day I will be driving around LA with my collection of KHJ airchecks blasting in the car...bucket list material, right there.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »

...so I questioned why the Manson/Tate elements were so prominently used to advertise the film.

Why? 'Cause that's how Hollyweird promotion works...whatever it takes to get tickets sold, exploit the hell out of that in the trailer. That's why catchy songs that don't appear at all in the actual features are sometimes used in the trailers, and why people with big names but relatively very small parts are often featured prominently in the promos. There's been a fair amount of interest in Manson and Tate all along, resurging again in the last few years, so of course that theme will get exploited.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:55:36 AM by c-man » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »

...so I questioned why the Manson/Tate elements were so prominently used to advertise the film.

Why? 'Cause that's how Hollyweird promotion works...whatever it takes to get tickets sold, exploit the hell out of that in the trailer. That's why catchy songs that don't appear at all in the actual features are sometimes used in the trailers, and why people with big names but relatively very small parts are often featured prominently in the promos.

Well yes, I understand that  LOL . But nearly every trailer for this film has made it seem like the Manson and Tate characters are a main focus, and one review I read kind of slammed Tarantino for *not* having the Tate character play more of a role...or even say that much in terms of dialogue. That was a red flag. Kind of felt like false advertising, but as you say, Hollywood is built on false advertising.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 10:54:20 AM »

I will say that it is true that the Tate character doesn't have much dialogue but she's a big part of the movie. She doesn't have quite the same amount of screen time as DiCaprio or Pitt but she is a major presence in the film.

Interesting that c-man should mention "catchy songs that don't appear at all in the actual features" because I was waiting for a long time for the Mamas & Papas "Straight Shooter" to come on, given how the riff was repeated in one of the early trailers. In the end, the song is featured later in the film but that recording isn't.

However, the music in the film is great. In fact, there are many scenes where people just drive and listen to the radio.

EDIT: And I commented after how it was great seeing that movie right after Echo in the Canyon, which was the previous film I saw in the theatre. They are great companion pieces.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:55:34 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »

Regardless of the amount of dialogue or limited screen time these characters have in the movie, they are integral to the idea of a shifting Hollywood, and the role that the main characters find themselves playing in changing times. Tate, and Bruce Lee especially are great characters to reflect the Hollywood structure - they are in the upswing of their careers, unlike Dalton and Booth, but like these guys, won't ultimately achieve their Hollywood dreams.

And the Manson tie in really does work, especially with the Ranch scene.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »

Regardless of the amount of dialogue or limited screen time these characters have in the movie, they are integral to the idea of a shifting Hollywood, and the role that the main characters find themselves playing in changing times. Tate, and Bruce Lee especially are great characters to reflect the Hollywood structure - they are in the upswing of their careers, unlike Dalton and Booth, but like these guys, won't ultimately achieve their Hollywood dreams.

And the Manson tie in really does work, especially with the Ranch scene.

Great reading of the film!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2019, 02:14:43 PM »

I haven’t seen the film, but will, so only have the reviews to go by, but I am glad the story appears to be LA and Hollywood in 1969. Manson has had more than his share of screen time either in documentary and movie/TV depiction. The standout from what clips I have seen is the recreation of the period and the back story. Being a QT movie is icing on the cake.

Not seeing more of Manson is a plus.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »

As someone who grew up in early-seventies Southern California ( I was around in the summer of 1969, but only a year old), this was an OUTSTANDING period piece. The radio ads, the KHJ jingles, the billboards, the ads on the RTD (yeah, they got that right) buses, the tv station call letters, just the entire feel of that time period in LA was perfectly captured. I'm not a huge DiCaprio fan , but he was outstanding in this movie.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:23:53 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »

The one guy I was hoping would get more screen time was Damien Lewis, as Steve McQueen.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »

Count me among those who is glad this is *not* a Manson movie, especially after reading the reviews here. But seriously, going back to even the title of this thread and the topic title, the promotions and marketing of it didn't do very much to point out this was not a Manson movie and was more of a period piece, in fact as we were saying the Manson stuff was what was being used to attract attention. I think even some reviews I've read assumed going in that it was a Manson/Tate film, and took points off the movie when Sharon Tate wasn't more of a featured character on screen.

If it truly is more of a late 60's LA period piece, complete with KHJ playing on the radios, count me in.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »

I can see that but I do think that this trailer which was given in this thread is a pretty good representation of the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilE3l2GeiQ&feature=youtu.be

Again, Manson barely appears as a character in the film but the Tate murders and the Manson family are still a big part of the movie and I do think they needed to impart that somehow in the ads. I don't want to say too much about that though because to discuss it too much would be to give away a lot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:48:54 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx