gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:54:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino Prepping New Movie Tackling Manson Murders  (Read 33956 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/quentin-tarantino-prepping-new-movie-tackling-manson-murders-1020165?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_now_2017-07-11%2016:02:00_jkonerman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Quentin Tarantino is quietly starting to put together his latest project, and is talking to A-list actors for what is promising to be a unique take on the Manson Family murders.

Manson had ordered a group of his followers to attack the inhabitants of a house in the Benedict Canyon part of Los Angeles, believing it was owned by a record producer who earlier had rejected him.

I’ve usually steered clear of any topics relating to this, so I’m not really well informed about how involved Dennis was with Manson at the time. I guess I was wondering just how prominent Dennis’ role was during this time and if it would be likely for his character to play a part in this movie. Thanks in advance for any information!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:15:33 AM »

Hopefully it isn't a too tabloid style movie... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »

Expect fanciful elements in the storyline. Tarantino's not shy about shoving facts aside in service of a good yarn.

I also expect to hear NLNTL in the soundtrack somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:21:30 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »

I think Dennis has to make an appearance somewhere, as he gave him and his followers his house pretty much and was pretty good friends with Manson for a while. He also stole his song which angered Manson greatly. Would be pretty cool to get an accurate representation of Manson's association with the band.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 07:33:58 AM »

Expect fanciful elements in the storyline. Tarantino's not shy about shoving facts aside in service of a good yarn.

Yeah, I’m expecting it to be pretty out there in terms of fictional (in a good way)...this is the same man who had Hitler killed by a special Allied unit in a movie theatre LOL

I’m really not sure what my thoughts are on Dennis being a character in the movie. Part of me thinks it’s something that Tarantino couldn’t resist: the wholesome friggin Beach Boys being involved in producing/stealing Manson tracks that could’ve led to him going to extremes. It’s probably the most bizarre part of The Beach Boys saga in the 60s - which is saying a lot.

Agreed about NLNTL.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:52:58 AM »

Isn't Quentin Tarantino from Hawthorne? I'm very curious to see what he'll do with this. I agree that the Dennis/Manson relationship would be too tantalizing for him to ignore. But if the people behind the TV show Aquarius couldn't get the rights to use NLNTL in the show, I wonder if Tarantino would be able to?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:12 AM »

Yeah, I’m expecting it to be pretty out there in terms of fictional (in a good way)...this is the same man who had Hitler killed by a special Allied unit in a movie theatre LOL

I’m really not sure what my thoughts are on Dennis being a character in the movie. Part of me thinks it’s something that Tarantino couldn’t resist: the wholesome friggin Beach Boys being involved in producing/stealing Manson tracks that could’ve led to him going to extremes. It’s probably the most bizarre part of The Beach Boys saga in the 60s - which is saying a lot.

Agreed about NLNTL.
Great point rab, that actually sounds like a Tarantino Movie! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »

Isn't Quentin Tarantino from Hawthorne? I'm very curious to see what he'll do with this. I agree that the Dennis/Manson relationship would be too tantalizing for him to ignore. But if the people behind the TV show Aquarius couldn't get the rights to use NLNTL in the show, I wonder if Tarantino would be able to?

Good point. Remember the nightmare that the Love and Mercy soundtrack went through? Everyone was kinda left wondering whether a soundtrack would even be released because someone wouldn't sign off on it in a timely manner. This would probably go the same way and Tarantino probably wouldn't even want to be involved in a potential clusterfuck like that.

But if it went through, as this is a really dark moment in The Beach Boys history, I bet there would be some roadblocks. But the amount of money Tarantino and the Weinsteins could throw at the band to get the rights (if they so desired) would negate many roadblocks methinks.

Edit: right, SB?? LOL it's so bizarre you almost can't believe it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:25:12 AM by rab2591 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »

Has Tarantino done much in the way of films that are based on a specific real-life event? I have the impression most of his other works are fiction and don't require real-life facts.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »

Has Tarantino done much in the way of films that are based on a specific real-life event? I have the impression most of his other works are fiction and don't require real-life facts.

"Inglorius Basterds" was...well...BASED on a specific real-life event (WWII).  But yes, he did get rather liberal with the facts...especially Hitler's demise. Great film, though!
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »

Really interesting. Dennis probably won't be mentioned at all.

Or he'll be a main character.

Or something in between.

It really could be anything though. There's no guarantee that Dennis or the band will have anything to do with it.
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »

I guess Mike will probably re-re-release another song to coincide with it. Santa's Going to Kokomo with My Pisces Brother and Charlie
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 11:13:42 PM »

This could actually be a case of NLNTL being used meaningfully, and adding a huge amount of atmosphere to the project. It would refresh the memory of a dark chapter in band history, but I for one would like to see it used, if it's used respectfully, terms can be reached and Tarantino plans to explore the DW angle.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:39:58 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »

"Inglorius Basterds" was...well...BASED on a specific real-life event (WWII).  But yes, he did get rather liberal with the facts...especially Hitler's demise. Great film, though!

Yes, but I would say that film has a real-life *setting* rather than it being based on a real-life event. It's basically a fictional story set in WWII, if not an "alternate history" sort of thing.

I don't think Tarantino ever went out and said he was trying make an historical picture.

So I think the "accuracy" of a Manson pic would depend on whether he's tackling making a picture about the specific details of Manson's life and crimes, or if he's going to essentially write another fictional story set amidst the Manson crew.

I would expect the latter. So yes, ultimately someone looking for an historically accurate picture of Manson and his story would probably end up wanting to look elsewhere.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »

Brilliant film! That one shoot-out is worth the price of admission alone! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiNVTPqWPY

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

Inglorious Basterds was historically authentic in many respects from what I hear (never saw the whole thing) and I bet he's more emotionally invested in this material, so I wouldn't be surprised if it hews fairly closely to real events rather than leaning on fictionalization. If Dennis is in the mix and the casting is good, this should be by far the best and most powerful portrayal of him and that messy situation yet. Hopefully, despite Tarantino's fascination with the sordid, Dennis's good intentions, however misguided, will emerge, with larger-than-life pathos intact.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »

Terry Melcher would be essential to any film portrayal here

but Dennis & Brian might ultimately be viewed by mr tarentino as a kind of character clutter.  They're more well known than Terry ever was, but still they might be eliminated in contemporary story re-telling
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 08:01:11 PM »

'Two Lane Blacktop' was a big influence on Tarentino. So, Dennis as a major character is not out of the question.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 02:24:35 AM »

Tarantino's basically the most competent tabloid-style director in the game. He will toss any and all historical authenticity out of the window in the service of film homage. So I wouldn't put it past him to make this some sort of spaghetti-western kung fu epic that just happens to star the Manson family.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »

Tarantino's basically the most competent tabloid-style director in the game. He will toss any and all historical authenticity out of the window in the service of film homage. So I wouldn't put it past him to make this some sort of spaghetti-western kung fu epic that just happens to star the Manson family.

If you're remotely familiar with Tarantino, this is more likely than anything involving reality.
KDS
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »

Sounds like Rob Zombie's Devils Rejects
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »

I see it was reported that Sharon Tate's sister doesn't like the idea of casting Jennifer Lawrence as Sharon. Not pretty enough! I can see this film becoming a very polarizing event! i would love to see Brian write a track like the Fire sequence for the movie. something very disturbing like Happy Days are Here Again from Imagination.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/quentin-tarantino-prepping-new-movie-tackling-manson-murders-1020165?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_now_2017-07-11%2016:02:00_jkonerman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Quentin Tarantino is quietly starting to put together his latest project, and is talking to A-list actors for what is promising to be a unique take on the Manson Family murders.

Manson had ordered a group of his followers to attack the inhabitants of a house in the Benedict Canyon part of Los Angeles, believing it was owned by a record producer who earlier had rejected him.

I’ve usually steered clear of any topics relating to this, so I’m not really well informed about how involved Dennis was with Manson at the time. I guess I was wondering just how prominent Dennis’ role was during this time and if it would be likely for his character to play a part in this movie. Thanks in advance for any information!

Big Tarantino fan, and I am quite fascinated by the whole Manson story. However, based on the snippet above, I'd be a little dissapointed if the storyline revolved around the Melcher revenge plot, which is been shown as being at least partially false. Here would be a great opportunity for QT to get into Oliver Stone mode, and explore some of the narratives buried by Bugliosi fable.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 05:25:09 AM »

Cool! If it's done, I'm going to see it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »

A second trailer. Due July.

https://youtu.be/IilE3l2GeiQ
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx