gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:12:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased Songs Masterlist: Material to expect from further archival releases  (Read 49072 times)
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

With the explosion of high-quality unreleased songs found on the Sunshine Tomorrow compilation, including several names that had been floating around for awhile but never bootlegged like "Game of Love" and "Honey Get Home", I was curious to see if we can come up with a basic idea for what tracks we can hope will finally be unleashed upon our ears in future rarity compilations. This is all assuming that Brother Records continues their yearly release cycle of copyright extension albums, which they show no sign of slowing down with.

I've combined the likes of the "Vaults" page (http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/vaults.html) (also found here in more readable form: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys), the Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks thread (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17621.0.html), and my own personal collection of bootlegs to give a good idea of what exactly is still out there and if it will ever see the light of day. Of course, we have no way of knowing if some of these are even releasable at all, and I trust Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd more than enough to know they wouldn't leave off anything truly juicy when it comes to these annual compilations.

And a quick guide to shortened terms I used to save myself some time:
booted = bootlegged
unbooted = not bootlegged
not available for streaming = was released on a CD at some point, but not on any streaming platform

1967 - SMiLE, Smiley Smile, Lei'd In Hawaii, Wild Honey era

- "Sunflower Maiden": Brian and Van Dyke Parks song written for Three Dog Night. Apparently lost

- Lei'd In Hawaii studio rehearsal sessions; "Surfin'", "God Only Knows", "Good Vibrations", "California Girls", "Surfer Girl": Brian running through some of the songs they would play live on an organ with his faint vocals heard in the background. Not extremely necessary, but I certainly enjoy putting them on sometimes, if not just to hear Brian play all of "Good Vibrations" on an organ

- backing tracks to; "Gettin' Hungry", "She's Goin' Bald" (released with backing vocals instead of just the track), "Wind Chimes" (Smiley version), "Vegetables" (Smiley version): booted

- SMiLE backing tracks: booted, should have been released years ago

1968 - Friends, 20/20 era

- "Friends" (alternate mix): booted

- 1971 Friends remakes; "Wake the World", "Be Still" and "Friends": Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer worked with Brian on these rerecordings. Only Brian's lead vocal of "Passing By" with lyrics has been released, the others are assumed to have been lost, especially considering that "Passing By" was sourced from a low-quality backup cassette

- "Fig Plucker": Dennis leading some of the group through a tongue-twister about a fig plucker

- backing tracks to; "Meant for You", "Wake the World", "We're Together Again": booted

1969 - 20/20, Sunflower era

- "Harmony Friends" - name of the soaring vocal-only coda to "Break Away" booted as a standalone 2 minute track, a treat for the ears

- "Slip on Through" (acetate mix): different from the '69 mix on the Feel Flows set

- "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" (demo): anything related to this song must be released ASAP

- "America, I Know You" (backing track): unbooted, collaboration with Stephen Kalinich

1970 - Sunflower era

- "Take A Load Off Your Feet, Pete" (original mix), "Tears In the Morning" (original version with different lyrics, as well as the studio backing track), "When Girls Get Together" (original mixes for both the studio version and the instrumental track), "Good Time" (original mix), "It's About Time" (percussion mix with some dazzling bongo playing): booted

- "Carnival": still waiting for the channel-swapping version of this to be released

- Big Sur concert: excellent show booted in good quality

- Fred Vail country album: a country album produced by Brian that has not been booted, tracks included; "Bethany Ann", "There's Always Something There to Remind Me", "Kittens, Kids & Kites, "Lucky Billy", "Black Man in Georgia", "One Woman Won't Hold Me", "Why Don't You Give Her to Me", "If You're Not Loving, You're Not Living", "All for The Love of A Girl", "Only the Lonely", "Carolina On My  Mind", "My Way of Life", "A Fool Such as I", "You Pass Me By", "I Can't Help It if I'm Still In Love With You"

1971 - Surf's Up, Carl & the Passions era

- "4th of July" (alternate version), "Barnyard Blues" (demo), "H.E.L.P. Is on the Way" (original mix), "Lookin' at Tomorrow" (original mix), "Big Sur" (original mix), "Won't You Tell Me" (original mix): unbooted

- Dennis Wilson solo album sessions (known as Poops or Hubba Hubba); "Follow Me to the Sea", "Sea Cruise"

- "Telephone Backgrounds (On A Clear Day)": unbooted Carl song

- "Sail On, Sailor" (demo): I hope the location of this is accounted for

1972 - Carl & the Passions "So Tough", Holland era

- "Daddy Dear", "Susie Cincinnati", "Fairy Tale Music" (with narration by Brian): all solo piano pieces by Brian. First two are piano demos played by Brian to somebody in Holland, both are brief but worth release for showcasing some nice Brian vocals before the 15 Big Ones era, "Fairy Tale Music" is from a time Brian was playing music for a reporter

- "Burlesque": Brian and Jack Riely song, may have never been recorded. Jack said in an interview that a line of lyric in it is "Tantalation and hot glowing skin/Sun’s ‘bout to rest"

- "Funky Fever" and "Gimme Some Lovin/Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" (medley): unbooted songs recorded by Brian and David Sandler, apparently this '72 version of "Gimme Some Lovin'" is lost, but a version from the Keepin' the Summer Alive sessions exists

- "Spark In the Dark": unbooted organ jam by Brian, apparently a riff he would revisit with "Chain Reaction of Love"

- "Body Talk": also known as "Grease Job", features tack piano/bass/handclap. May be a Dennis track

- "Rooftop Harry", "Slow Song": unbooted

- "Out in the Country": booted in a somewhat skeletal form, as a more finished version with banjos and other instrumentation has been said to exist. The booted version works quite well on it's own I think, a bit like a more moody "Meant for You"

- "Hard Times": booted Ricky & Blondie song

- "Carry Me Home": what I would call the most sought after unreleased recording that has been booted, an incredible piece of work from Dennis

- "California Saga: On My Way Sunny Cali-for-nia" (single mix): with a bit more Brian vocals, not available for streaming

- "The Trader" (early mix): unbooted shorter version, seems like it's just the first part of the song

- "Fairy Tale Music/A Casual Look" (demo version), "I'm the Pied Piper" (extended version), "Pa, Let Her Go Out" (early version of "Better Get Back In Bed"): unbooted. Love the music in the fairy tale, would be very interested to hear any of this

- "Cuddle Up" (single mix): rare, but booted

- "California Saga" (1974 live version with sitar): booted, might only exist as an audience recording

1973 - Holland era

- "River Song" (original mix): booted. Recorded with the Beach Boys, seems the backing track and backing vocals were kept for Dennis' solo version

- "Dr. Tom": unbooted Al song

- "Pattycake": apparently never recorded, about a gorilla that Brian saw at the Bronx zoo

1974 - Caribou Sessions era

- "Honeycomb": unbooted cover recorded during the same session as "It's OK", also featuring Roy Wood of ELO and Wizzard on saxophone

- Carl demos: unbooted Moog and guitar demos

- "Shortenin' Bread": unbooted instrumental jam, the beginning of the period where Brian recorded that same Shortenin' riff many times

- "Dennis' Symphony": unbooted early version of "Friday Night"

- "Just An Imitation": apparently never recorded, written by Brian after his father's death

- Caribou sessions; "Good Timin'" (original track and lead vocal as well the instrumental version with horn section), "Is This Really Love", "Why Don't You Try Me?", "Rollin' Up to Heaven": only "Rollin' Up to Heaven" and both versions of "Good Timin'" circulate

- "Battle Hymn of the Republic": this one.... woof

- "Child of Winter": unbooted alternate mix with Carl and Dennis vocals

1975 - start of "Brian Is Back" era

- "Come to the Sunshine": Brian's cover of a Van Dyke Parks song, supposed to be lost

- "Carl's Song": booted instrumental

- "In the Back of My Mind" (piano demo): still unavailable for streaming for whatever reason, was a bonus track for the Target release of No Pier Pressure I believe. An emotional and revealing version with altered lyrics by Brian and features him prominently switching between his more coarse 15 Big Ones voice with the soaring falsetto from his younger voice

- "Rainbows" (early version), "String Bass Song": unbooted Dennis Wilson songs

1976 - 15 Big Ones, Love You era

- "Michael Row the Boat Ashore", "Mony Mony", "Rock & Roll Music" ("hot" mix), "Come Go With Me" (original mix), "Ruby Baby", "Short Skirts", "Running Bear", "10,000 Years Ago", "On Broadway", "Sea Cruise", "We Gotta Groove", "Marilyn Rovell", "Lazy Lizzie", "Hey There Momma", "Let Us Go On This Way" (a capella backing vocals): booted, although the Brother Bonus Tracks CD has a mix of "We Gotta Groove" with lead vocals by Mike and "Short Skirts" has backing vocals

- "Don't Fight the Sea": unbooted, Al later rerecorded this and then worked on it for the next few decades, adding Carl & Brian in the late 80's and Mike in the 2000's

- unbooted Dennis songs; - "10,000 Years Ago" (instrumental), "Life Symphony", "Flowers Come In the Spring" (might be a remake of "Fallin' In Love"), "I Didn't Mean to Make You Worry", "Taking Off", "2,000 Years Ago" (possibly just a misnamed "10,000 Years Ago"), "String Thing 2", "Long String Song" (lotta "String" songs from Dennis around this time)

- "It's Like Heaven": booted. Recorded with Rocky Pamplin and Marilyn on vocals, I assume it predates the American Spring version

- "Just Once In My Life" (backing track): one of the absolute highlights of all bootlegs I've heard

- "Let's Dance", "Secret Love", and "Working in the Coal Mine": unheard covers

- "When Girls Get Together" (15 Big Ones mix): basically an early version of the mix from KTSA with the kick drum and odder production

- "TM Song" (alternate mix with long intro and no lead vocals): not nearly as essential as a lot of these other songs

- "Lady Lynda" (original version): more superior version in my mind, lacks the classical music intro and has different instrumentation

- "That Same Song": performance with a church choir from the It's OK special for TV

1977 - Love You, Adult/Child, Pacific Ocean Blue, M.I.U. era

- "The Night Was So Young" (early mix), "Love Is A Woman" (early mix with Al lead vocal), "Johnny Carson" (early mix with guitar intro), "Roller Skating Child" (early mix with different vocals), "I'll Bet He's Nice" (early mix), "Solar System" (early mix with no backing vocals), "Clangin'", "11th Bar Blues": all on the Brothers Bonus Tracks CD

- "Honkin' Down the Highway" (alternate version): booted version with Billy Hinsche on lead vocal and a synth solo

- "Solar System" (backing track): a rare find, but what a knockout track

- Adult/Child sessions, booted; "Life Is for the Living" (studio version and backing track), "Lines" (also exists an early mix with different Brian vocal), "Everybody Wants to Live", "It's Trying to Say (Baseball)", "Deep Purple", "My Diane" (original mix without string section and demo mix), "Shortenin' Bread" (original mix), "New England Waltz", "Still I Dream of It" (alternate rougher Brian vocal)

- "Oh Darling", "Something New", "Crying", "Fever", "Here Comes the Sun": unbooted Dennis songs

- "Gimme Some Lovin'": unbooted

- "Mike Come Back to L.A.": any edit or rough version would be welcome, very fun and energetic track

- "How's About A Little Bit of Your Sweet Lovin'?", "Go and Get That Girl", "Beach Burlesque", "Egypt": the last two are unheard

- Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys sessions; "Christmas Medley" (an excellent medley of Christmas songs with the band and their children, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "O Come All Ye Faithful", "Hark The Herald Angels Sing", and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"), "Santa Is on His Way" (rerecording of "H.E.L.P. Is on the Way"), "Alone on Christmas Day", "Sad, Sad Christmas": no boot has "Sad, Sad Christmas", but it's the original version of "Sad, Sad Summer" so it probably isn't too different from that

- "Pacific Ocean Blue" (backing track): booted

- rehearsals for Dennis Wilson solo tour: according to Ed Roach, there is some fantastic stuff here that people have heard. Seems like it absolutely deserves uncovering

1978 - M.I.U., Bambu, L.A. era

- "Rubles", "Ride Arabian, Ride": unbooted Al songs

- "Santa Ana Winds" (original mix): booted Brian song with different lyrics, grander instrumentation, and lacking the very unnecessary spoken word intro. Also exists an alternate mix with more instrumentation and double-tracked vocals. Al later revamped this for KTSA

- "Lookin' Down the Coast/Monterey": great work by Al on this one

- "I'm Begging You Please": booted Brian demo, his voice is a bit rough reaching for the falsetto but still an excellent song with the kind of mature lyrics I wish Brian wrote more of

- "Where We Are (It Could Be Anything)": early version of a Carl song, a nice listen

- "California Feelin'" (original mix): more synthy and without Brian vocals

- "Drip Drop": booted cover by Brian, although maybe not worth release for how off Brian sounds

- "Calendar Girl": booted cover with Mike on lead vocal with Brian singing the intro and providing backing vocals

- "I Really Love You": early version of a Brian song with him singing lead, a bit rough but his voice is smoother compared to a lot of 15BO and Love You. A rare find, along with its backing track

- "Basketball Rock", "Bowling": unbooted Brian instrumentals

- booted outtakes from Bambu; "Constant Companion" (extended alternate mix without backing vocals), "Baby Blue" (rough mix with no Dennis vocal) "Time for Bed" (backing track), "He's A Bum" (backing track), "Wild Situation" (backing track with backing vocals), "Love Surrounds Me" (backing track), "All Alone" (demo mix)

- and unbooted Bambu; "I Don't Want to Go" and "Let Me Out of Here"

1979 - L.A., Keepin' the Summer Alive era

- "Little Girl", "Jamaica Farewell", "Stranded In the Jungle", "Johnny B. Goode" (two versions exist, one with Dennis on drums and a later one with Bruce producing) "Smokey Places", "I'll Always Love You": covers recorded with Brian involvement, only the first song is booted in unfinished form which would then be strangely finished into an original song "Sunshine" on KTSA

- "Oh Darlin'": unbooted earlier attempt on the KTSA song with Dennis drumming

- "Boys and Girls": unbooted Brian song, one from the KTSA sessions produced by Bruce and a remake from 1980 produced by Brian. Both may not have vocals

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive era

- "Oh Darlin'" (original version): features Brian on lead vocal with prominent Carl vocals, alternate lyrics, and a much less busy backing track, I prefer this one 1000x more than the studio version with Bruce's overblown production

- "Goin' On" (original backing track): neat version with some charged-up drum solos not in the studio version

- "Be My Baby", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Smokey Places", "Greenback Dollar": covers with Brian involvement. Only the first two are booted

- "My Solution" and "Shortenin' Bread": booted instrumentals by Brian, possibly booted as "Song Within a Song"

- "Can't Wait Too Long" (1980 remake): unbooted. Overdubs were attempted by the group

- "Fly", "Up Again", "Candlesticks", "Surfer Suzie": unbooted

- "I'm a Man": unbooted Brian song

- "Bucks": unbooted Mike song

- Dennis Wilson and Christie McVie sessions: no luck on these yet

- "Stevie": Brian/Dennis collaboration, written by Brian with production by Dennis and Garby Leon. Baffling why it hasn't been released, sounds so damn good and finished enough to put out there

- "I Ran (All the Way Home)": unbooted

- "Sweetie": unbooted studio version with Al, Mike and Brian taking turns on lead vocal

- Cocaine Sessions material: "Why Don't You Tell Me Why (You've Been Good to Me)", "I Feel So Fine", "Oh Lord", "City Blues", "Heroes and Villains", "I Said A Prayer" (early demo of "This Isn't Love"): been circulating for many many years, being repeatedly taken off Youtube whenever it is discovered there

- "Cry Like a Baby" and two other untitled songs: ubooted Brian songs

- "Labor Day": reported to be Dennis' final studio recording, unheard but hopefully out there

- "California Dreamin'" (alternate version): earlier attempt with Mike on lead

- Brian and Carl sessions: unbooted. Unknown what these were like, need to get my hands on this

- Carl demo sessions: unbooted

- "Black Widow" (piano demo), "The First Time" (demo mix): booted

- "It's Just a Matter of Time": a live version with Brian on lead vocals, he sounds better here than he does on the '85 album

1984 - The Beach Boys (self-titled album) era

- "Getcha Back" (alternate extended mix), "She Believes In Love Again" (alternate mix), "California Calling" (Al lead vocal): booted

- "Down By the Pier", "And I Always Will", "At the Hop": covers, only "At the Hop" is booted, and it might be better off kept in the vault

- "Buzz, Buzz, Buzz": unbooted live cover

- "Oh Lord": unbooted. Apparently the group attempted a recording of Brian's song that he demoed in the Cocaine Sessions

- "Water Builds Up": unbooted. A song Brian later recorded on his own for the Sweet Insanity album

1986 - Wilson Project era

- "Sweetie", "Rings", "Walking on Water", "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel": booted piano demos by Brian

- "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" (alternate extended mix): not available for streaming, don't think the original version is either

- "Wouldn't That Be Cool": a Brian song attempted during sessions for Made in U.S.A. with a co-lead vocal from Terry Melcher

- "Spirit of Rock and Roll": unbooted live version with the Boys

- Wilson Project recordings: Brian's first serious work on a solo album done with Gary Usher and under the watchful eye of Dr. Landy. Here is what's booted; "Christine" (and it's other version "Barbie", made for Mattel), "Doing Time on Planet Earth" (early version of "Being With the One You Love" made for a movie of the same title), "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move" (early version with more Brian-y lyrics before Lindsay Buckingham came in to collaborate), "Heavenly Bodies", "Christmas Time", "Just Say No"

- and what is unbooted from those sessions; "I'm Broke" (early version of Paley era song), "I'm Tired", "A Little Love", "Magic", "All Over Me", "Still I Dream of You" (a rerecording of "Still I Dream of It"), "Magnetic Attraction" (apparently two versions exist), "You" (demo), "Up In the Sky" (early "There's So Many" demo), "Night Time" (demo), "Being With the One You Love" (early version),

1987 - Brian Wilson solo album era

- "Saturday Morning in the City" (early version); booted

- "I Feel This Love", "Saturday Evening in the City" (I would guess a companion piece to "Saturday Morning"), "Boogie Woogie Beat", "Water Builds Up" (early version), "The Spirit of Rock and Roll" (another mix) : unbooted

- "Hotter", "Heavenly Lovers", "Love Ya", "God Only Knows" (live), "I Sleep Alone", "Love and Mercy" (backing track and backing vocals), "Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight" (alternate mix with different lyrics), "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long" (alternate mix with different lyrics), "Walk the Line" (mix with Terrence Trent Darby in a duet with Brian): booted

- "Must Be a Miracle" (early version): unbooted

1990 - Sweet Insanity era

- Sweet Insanity sessions, booted; "Brian (Thank You)", "Do You Have Any Regrets?", "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel", "Let's Stick Together", "Rainbow Eyes", "Make a Wish" (original mix and backing track), "Concert Tonight" (plus the extended mix), "Someone to Love", "Spirit of Rock and Roll" (yet another mix), "Smart Girls", "Water Builds Up" (original mix and backing track), "Country Feelin"

- "In My Life" and "Let It Be": Beatle covers done with Landy shudder

1992 - start of Paley Sessions era

- Paley Sessions: a treasure trove of fantastic material from Brian through the early and mid 90's, a good amount has been bootlegged in varying quality but much is still disappointingly unreleased. Here is what circulates from this year; "Proud Mary" (Carl was present for at least some of this recording and it was redone with Don Was)

- "God Did It" and "Chain Reaction of Love": booted

- "It's Not Easy Bein' Me" and "Elbow '63": booted

- "Off My Chest", "Right Before Your Eyes", a few untitled songs: unbooted

- "Dancin' the Night Away", "Mary Ann", "Marketplace", "Must Be a Miracle": booted

- "Grace of My Heart", "I'm Psyched", "Turn On Your Love Light": unbooted

Other bootlegged songs from the Paley sessions without dates to my knowledge: "Slightly American Music", "Frankie Avalon", "What Rock and Roll Can Do"

"This Song Wants to Sleep with You Tonight", "This Isn't Love" (piano version), "In My Moondreams", "Sweets for My Sweet": all unavailable for streaming

(Let's hope we won't have to wait until the early 2040's for an official release for all of the Paley session material)

- "Everything I Need" (original version with Wendy & Carnie and a mix with Brian on lead)

2012 - That's Why God Made the Radio era

- "I'd Go Anywhere": apparently unused part of Brian's suite from the end of the album, bits of it can be heard here since it was used in a behind the scenes EPK of the album with interviews played over it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1MWbi5jjh4

- "She Believes in Love Again": remake of the Bruce song from 85. See you in 2062 for these hot tracks!!

-"Waves of Love": if it was even worked on? Al offered it for the album. Who knows if the Beach Boys (outside of Carl and Al) ever touched it

-supposedly there were like 29 tracks overall recorded for this album. Whether or not any ended up on No Pier Pressure is another question though

I'll try and update this as more information becomes available. Let's hope and pray much of this becomes available for streaming sooner rather than later. Big thank you to Salty and Do You Like Veggies for the fact checking here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 02:33:44 PM by jackjachman » Logged
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »

Hopefully before I die there will be 180 gram vinyl releases of Country Love, First Love, and LBWL. I can't wait to play Wrinkles so loudly that no burgler will ever come near my home.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:43:56 AM »

Hopefully before I die there will be 180 gram vinyl releases of Country Love, First Love, and LBWL. I can't wait to play Wrinkles so loudly that no burgler will ever come near my home.

HA!

Want to add the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track to the list of (hopefully) likely candidates, one of the best unheard things out there. AND the supposedly magnificent rehearsals for the abortive DW POB solo tour.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:24:28 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »

especially "Carnival" for all of it's channel-swapping charm

COMMENT to jackjachman:  You can hear Carnival (with explanation) at my website.  See: Addendum to Part One of Recording The Beach Boys.
~swd
http://swdstudyvideos.com  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:57:51 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »

- "Crack the Whip" and "When I Get Mad (I Just Play My Drums)", both Jasper Daily collobrations with Brian. If "Teeter Totter Love" was any indication, it's best this remained on the cutting room floor
Both lost.

- "Good News" and "Good Time Mama", both recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions
Previously talked about in one of the Sunshine Tomorrow topics. "Good News" was deemed unreleasable, and no tapes for "Good Time Mama" exist (and has been theorized to have just been a working title for the last section of "She's Goin' Bald".

- "New Song", Our Happy Home", "You're As Cool As Can Be", "My Little Red Book": all of them exist and seem releasable, only "My Little Red Book" has been booted
"New Song" actually HAS been booted, commonly referred to as "Indian Wisdom", "Spanish Guitar Instrumental", "Margarita", etc.

- "You Never Give Me Your Money": YES PLEASE (if it's anything more than a very loose post-session jam)
That's exactly what it is. A run-through take of "Good Time" transitioned into a very loose, incomplete jam of "You Never Give Me Your Money".

- "Spark In the Dark", "Body Talk", "Is Jack Reilly Superman?", "Gimme Some Lovin'", "Rooftop Harry", "Telephone Backgrounds": all sound quite intriguing, and would be good to find out if "Spark In the Dark" has any relation to "Funky Pretty" or if it's just a term Brian likes
"Gimme Some Lovin'" is lost. Hard to say if "Is Jack Rieley Superman" was even recorded, or it was even its own song as opposed to a temporary name given to another W.I.P. track. "Spark in the Dark" has no relation to "Funky Pretty". Apparently, it's an instrumental featuring a riff later heard in Brian's "Chain Reaction of Love".

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »

I think there should be a Brian is Back box set. Including 15 Big Ones/Love You albums and sessions. As well as unreleased material from that period. As well as an official release of Adult Child. Include maybe a DVD of highlights of Brian on the road and interviews from 76-78ish. I don't know if there would be any money in something like this, but I would pay $100 for it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

I think there should be a Brian is Back box set. Including 15 Big Ones/Love You albums and sessions. As well as unreleased material from that period. As well as an official release of Adult Child. Include maybe a DVD of highlights of Brian on the road and interviews from 76-78ish. I don't know if there would be any money in something like this, but I would pay $100 for it!
Added they should throw in a restoration of Brian is Back, and some of the live performances from the era.  I would also pay $100 for it if not more...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »

Added they should throw in a restoration of Brian is Back, and some of the live performances from the era.  I would also pay $100 for it if not more...

Absolutely!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »

especially "Carnival" for all of it's channel-swapping charm

COMMENT to jackjachman:  You can hear Carnival (with explanation) at my website.  See: Addendum to Part One of Recording The Beach Boys.
~swd
http://swdstudyvideos.com  

Many many thanks to you as always, Stephen! There isn't a more definitive voice on the band's music from this period outside of the members themselves. You are doing such valuable work with these study videos, they're crucial for truly appreciating the work you guys did way back when.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:17:27 PM by jackjachman » Logged
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »

Isint Burlesque lost as well? I heard somewhere that if it existed it would have been released by now cause it was pretty good
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »

Hopefully Smile remastered and remixed in stereo.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:27:21 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Why not a December download of the 1966-67 Smile tracks that were left off the box?  Plus a stereo mix of Smile.  They could also include more Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and live material that didn't fit on Sunshine Tomorrow.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »

Isint Burlesque lost as well? I heard somewhere that if it existed it would have been released by now cause it was pretty good
That would make me very sad personally.  Maybe BW can rerecord it or something...  Sad
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »

Have updated the list up to 1981, what seems like the last year of the band's 20 year streak of recording new material with some regularity until the '85 album sessions. There is a LOT to go through here, sorry if it's too unwieldy in it's detail. Good to have a conjoined list of all this wonderful and mysterious music, reading some highlights here gets me really excited for the future of this group, seems like we're definitely gonna be seeing this stuff start to trickle out soon enough. Let me know if I'm missing anything/gotten anything wrong, there's a lot to go through.
Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »

I'm A Man Is Not A Cover. Despite what Bellagio and Wikipedia says, Brian wrote the song
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »

You forgot "Surfer Suzie" from the KTSA era. That's one that I really wanna hear, apparently it's supposed to be surprisingly good!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »

Carl's Where We Are is a fantastic song.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »

Want to add the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track to the list of (hopefully) likely candidates, one of the best unheard things out there. AND the supposedly magnificent rehearsals for the abortive DW POB solo tour.

One of my biggest regrets from visiting John Hanlon & Jon Stebbins in the studio for the mixing of Bambu was not having time to listen to the rehearsal tapes...  (Sadly, I do seem to recall that none of these recordings include DW vocals).  However, I was present for many of these rehearsals, (sometimes with Dennis, sometimes just wandering in to visit the band and listen by myself), and they were extraordinary!
The rehearsals took place in the back room of Brother, (in what was normally the room where the equipment was stored, and originally was rented to house the studio's return from the Netherlands), and I can't recall what format they were recorded on, (Jon, a little help here), but they were a portent of how monumental these shows were going to be!  Ah, Dennis, if only...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »

Carl's Where We Are is a fantastic song.

I've never looked up the intricate details of that particular track, but was it recorded as part of Carl's solo deal with Caribou? If so, then I would guess Caribou/Guercio/Sony might have a claim on that track.

I wouldn't personally put that song in the top tier of unreleased tracks; it's a pleasant song of, not surprisingly, a similar ilk as his solo albums.

I had always hoped Carl's solo albums would be reissued with the "My Father's Place" live show as a bonus; but that of course didn't happen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »

Regarding the "Cocaine Tapes" as listed above, there's no way they'd ever release all of it or even a substantive part of it. It's probably highly unlikely they'd put *any* of it out, but if they did they'd maybe try to extract a decent edit of "Oh Lord" and "City Blues" and not much else. I'm not even 100% certain Brian and Dennis knew they were being recorded, and I'm not 100% certain anybody knows who owns the tape.

It's not a particularly listenable tape. It's obviously interesting and poignant, but the only reason I'd ever advocate for releasing anything from it is due to the pure, raw emotion Brian brings to "Oh Lord", and the interesting chord progressions on "City Blues" (my mind was blown when Brian re-recorded it in 2004; and then I was disappointed because the final track sounds way too busy and cluttered and muddy; simply put: overproduced). 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:42:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »

Regarding the "Cocaine Tapes" as listed above, there's no way they'd ever release all of it or even a substantive part of it. It's probably highly unlikely they'd put *any* of it out, but if they did they'd maybe try to extract a decent edit of "Oh Lord" and "City Blues" and not much else. I'm not even 100% certain Brian and Dennis knew they were being recorded, and I'm not 100% certain anybody knows who owns the tape.

It's not a particularly listenable tape. It's obviously interesting and poignant, but the only reason I'd ever advocate for releasing anything from it is due to the pure, raw emotion Brian brings to "Oh Lord", and the interesting chord progressions on "City Blues" (my mind was blown when Brian re-recorded it in 2004; and then I was disappointed because the final track sounds way too busy and cluttered and muddy; simply put: overproduced). 

If they actually released City Blues, wouldn't that cause them to have to address the fact (it is regarded more or less as a fact, right?) that Denny actually cowrote the song, but oddly wasn't credited on its only official release on Brian's GIOMH album? That's always been a head-scratcher.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »

There's supposedly a Beach Boys attempt at Oh Lord, but I'm not sure if anyone has heard it.  Maybe it's one of those 15 songs Howie was referring to a couple weeks ago.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

There's supposedly a Beach Boys attempt at Oh Lord, but I'm not sure if anyone has heard it.  Maybe it's one of those 15 songs Howie was referring to a couple weeks ago.

They supposedly worked on it (or, at least Brian along with Steve Levine did) in 1984 for the BB '85 album. I don't think I've ever heard or read an actual description of what's on the recording. It could well be a backing track or partial backing track with no vocals.

I recall that they worked on several songs not finished for the album, including possibly Al's "And I Always Will", which he of course put on his solo album 25 years later.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:27:37 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Mr Fulton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »

They also worked on a song called Down By The Pier with Carl on lead vocals in 1984
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »

Still waiting for that Live Box. For a band that did so many concerts, the lack of live material released is criminal. Some of it is trickling out now on the MIC box and Sunshine Tomorrow, but still so much out there.  I would love one of the concerts from the summer of 76.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx