gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
621026 Posts in 24987 Topics by 3550 Members - Latest Member: SunshineOverClouds November 24, 2017, 01:16:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What material we can expect from further archival releases  (Read 2457 times)
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »

With explosion of high-quality unreleased songs found on the Sunshine Tomorrow compilation, including several names that had been floating around for awhile but never booted like "Game of Love" and "Honey Get Home", I was curious to see if we can come up with a basic idea for what tracks we can hope will finally be unleashed upon people's ears. This is all assuming that Brother Records continues their yearly release cycle of copyright extension albums, which they show no sign of slowing down with.

I've combined the likes of the "Vaults" page (http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/vaults.html) (also found here in more readable form: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys), and the Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks thread (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17621.0.html to give a good idea of what exactly is out there and if it will ever see the light of day. Of course, we have no way of knowing if any of this was releasable at all, and I trust Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd more than enough now to know they wouldn't leave off anything truly juicy when it comes to these annual compilations.

1967 - SMiLE, Smiley Smile, Lei'd In Hawaii, Wild Honey era

- "On Top of Old Smoky": the most intriguing song left off Sunshine Tomorrow, this apparently features Brian and Paul McCartney on vocals. Hard to believe this was actually the case, since a recording like that would be insanely sought after by Beatle and Beach Boys fans alike. It could be made up, or a big fat disappointment like the jam Paul and John Lennon had in 1974 that turned out be a whole lotta nothing. Still, the mystery lives on

- "Sunflower Maiden": Brian and Van Dyke Parks song written for Three Dog Night. Apparently lost

- Lei'd In Hawaii studio rehearsal sessions; "Surfin'", "God Only Knows", "Good Vibrations", "California Girls", "Surfer Girl": Brian running through some of the songs they would play live on an organ with his faint vocals heard in the background. Not extremely necessary, but I certainly enjoy putting them on sometimes, if not just to Brian play all of "Good Vibrations" on an organ

- backing tracks to; "Gettin' Hungry", "She's Goin' Bald", "Wind Chimes" (Smiley version), "Vegetables" (Smiley version): booted

- SMiLE backing tracks: booted, should already have been released years ago

1968 - Friends era

- "Our Happy Home", "You're As Cool As Can Be", "Even Stephen" (early version of "Busy Doin' Nothin'"), "My Little Red Book": all of them exist and seem releasable, only "My Little Red Book" has been booted

- "All I Wanna Do" (early version): features a sitar. I must have this

- "Old Folks at Home/Ol' Man River": medley from the Friends two-fer that still does not exist digitally

- early 70's Friends remakes; "Passing By", "Wake the World", "Be Still" and "Friends": Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer worked with Brian on these rerecordings, never circulated

- backing tracks to; "Meant for You", "Friends" (as well as the a capella version Al released a few years ago), "Wake the World", "Little Bird", "We're Together Again": booted

1969 - 20/20, early Sunflower era

- "Harmony Friends" - name of the soaring vocal-only coda to "Break Away" booted as a standalone 2 minute track, a treat for the ears

- "Walkin'": having heard the boot, it's pretty basic, wouldn't be torn up if it was left out

- "What Can the Matter Be" and "Raspberries, Strawberries": unreleased to my knowledge

- "I'm Going Your Way (California Slide)": available on boots, not a bad track but missing any backing vocals

- "'Til I Die" (piano demo) - the holy grail of unheard Beach Boys songs. I have to hear this in my lifetime, this much I know

- "America, I Know You" (backing track): collaboration with Stephen Kalinich

- backing tracks to; "Time to Get Alone" (including the lovely rehearsal take as heard on SOT), "Bluebirds Over the Mountain", "Cotton Fields" (album and single version): booted

1970 - Sunflower era

- "This Whole World" (alternate vocals/long version): please release this

- "Big Sur" (4/4 version): beautiful

- "Take A Load Off Your Feet, Pete" (original mix), "Add Some Music to Your Day" (original lyrics), "Tears In the Morning" (original lyrics), "When Girls Get Together" (both original mix and original instrumental track), "Loop de Loop" (original mix), "Our Sweet Love" (backing track with Brian vocals): booted

- "Our Sweet Love" (piano demo) - unbooted

- "You Never Give Me Your Money": jam after a session for "Good Time"

- "Carnival", "My Solution", and "Seasons in the Sun" are bootable and worthy of being put out there, especially "Carnival" for all of it's channel-swapping charm and "My Solution" for that Halloween novelty weirdness. "Seasons in the Sun" doesn't work all that great with the Boys IMO

1971 - Surf's Up, early Carl & the Passions era

- "Lookin' At Tomorrow" (alternate mix), "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again) (extended mix), "'Til I Die" (alternate "uplifting" lyrics and vocal only version), "Surf's Up" (vocals), "4th of July" (alternate version), "H.E.L.P. Is on the Way" (early mix): criminally unavailable

- "Ol' Movie": early version of "Cuddle Up"

- "Hawaii Song": intriguing because I haven't heard anything about it

- "Happy Birthday Brian (29th Birthday)": sounds like a fun recording

- "Won't You Tell Me": real nice little duet between Brian and Carl. Hope it sees the light of day

- "Beatrice From Baltimore": early version of "You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone", unbooted. Would love to hear

- "I've Got A Friend": Dennis song played live in the early 70's (introduced by Mike Love as "one of the best songs I've ever heard"), apparently recorded in the studio without a vocal

- "Sail On, Sailor" (demo): I hope the location of this is accounted for

1972 - Carl & the Passions "So Tough", Holland era

- "Awake" (piano demo): one of the great Brian vocals from the era, a crystal clear sounding bootleg. There's also a high quality demo of "Ten Years Harmony", the original version of "Endless Harmony" floating around there

- "Burlesque": Brian and Jack Riely song, Jack said in an interview that a line of lyric in it is "Tantalation and hot glowing skin/Sun’s ‘bout to rest"

- "Quad Symphony": any sort of edit or sections of this would be welcome to hear in better condition than the boots it's on

- "Spark In the Dark", "Body Talk", "Is Jack Reilly Superman?", "Gimme Some Lovin'", "Rooftop Harry", "Telephone Backgrounds (On A Clear Day)": all sound quite intriguing

- "Out in the Country": booted in a somewhat skeletal form, as a more finished version with banjos and other instrumentation has been said to exist. The booted version works quite well on it's own I think, a bit like a more moody "Meant for You"

- "Hard Times": booted Ricky & Blondie song. Not their best, but completely worthy of becoming available

- "Carry Me Home": what I would call the most sought after unreleased recording that has been booted, fans have an emotional connection to this song that I have not seen with any other bootlegged material

- "California Saga: On My Way Sunny Cali-for-nia" (single mix): with a bit more Brian vocals

- "The Trader" (early mix): shorter version, seems like it's just the first part of the song

- "Fairy Tale Music/A Casual Look" (demo version), "I'm the Pied Piper" (extended version), "Pa, Let Her Go Out" (early version of "Better Get Back In Bed")

- "California Saga" (1974 live version with sitar)

1973 - Holland and beyond

- "River Song" (original mix): recorded with The Beach Boys, seems the backing track was kept for Dennis' solo version

- "Dr. Tom" and "Canyon Summer": Al songs

- "Pattycake": about a gorilla that Brian saw at the Bronx zoo

1974 - Caribou Sessions era

- "Honeycomb": cover recorded during the same session as "It's OK", also featuring Roy Wood of ELO and Wizzard on saxophone

- "Just An Imitation": still hasn't been found

- Caribou sessions; "Good Timin'" (original track and lead vocal as well the instrumental version with horn section), "Rollin' Up to Heaven", "Earthquake Time", "You're Riding High On the Music", "Don't Let Me Go", "Our Live, Our Love, Our Land": only "Rollin' Up to Heaven" and both versions of "Good Timin'" circulate

- "Child of Winter": alternate mix with Carl and Dennis vocals

1975 - early "Brian Is Back" era

- "Come to the Sunshine": Brian's cover of a Van Dyke Parks song, supposed to be lost

- Dennis Wilson songs; "Rainbows" (early version), "Slow Blues", "Don't Want Much, Just A Country Or Two, Maybe A Planet Before It's Through", "Grateful Are We For Little Children", "Helen Keller", "Our Love Remains", "Marble Sittin' On A Kitchen Table"

1976 - 15 Big Ones, Love You era

- "Michael Row the Boat Ashore", "Mony Mony", "Rock & Roll Music" ("hot" mix), "Come Go With Me" (original mix), "Ruby Baby", "Short Skirts", "Running Bear", "10,000 Years Ago", "On Broadway", "Sea Cruise", "We Gotta Groove", "Marilyn Rovell", "Lazy Lizzie", "Hey There Momma": booted

- "Just Once In My Life" (backing track): one of the absolute highlights of all bootlegs I've heard

- "Let's Dance", "Secret Love", and "Working in the Coal Mine": unheard covers

- "TM Song" (alternate mix with long intro and no lead vocals), "Lisa", "Gold Rush": not booted

- Love You piano demos; "That Special Feeling", "Airplane", "Mona", "I'll Bet He's Nice", "It's Over Now", "Still I Dream of It", "Let's Put Our Hearts Together", "Love Is A Woman", "Little Children": booted, very much worthy of release

1977 - Love You, early M.I.U. era

- "The Night Was So Young" (early mix), "Love Is A Woman" (early mix with Al lead vocal), "Johnny Carson" (early mix with guitar intro), "Roller Skating Child" (early mix with different vocals), "I'll Bet He's Nice" (early mix), "Solar System" (early mix with no background vocals), "Clangin'", "11th Bar Blues": never booted

- Adult/Child sessions; "Life Is for the Living" (studio version and backing track), "Lines" (also exists an early mix with different Brian vocal), "Everybody Wants to Live", "It's Trying to Say (Baseball)", "Deep Purple", "My Diane" (original mix), "Shortenin' Bread" (original mix), "New England Waltz"

- "Flowers Come In the Spring" (might be a remake of "Fallin' In Love"), "I Didn't Mean to Make You Worry", "Taking Off", : unbooted Dennis songs

- "Mike Come Back to L.A.": any edit or rough version would be welcome, very fun and energetic track

- "How's About A Little Bit of Your Sweet Lovin'?", "Go and Get That Girl", "Beach Burlesque", "Egypt": the last two are unheard

- "Lady Lynda" (original mix): more superior version in my mind, lacks the classical music intro and the plasticky sound that Bruce Johnston productions have

- Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys sessions; "Christmas Medley" (medley of Christmas songs with the band and their children, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "O Come All Ye Faithful", "Hark The Herald Angels Sing", and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"), "Sad, Sad Christmas": no boot has "Sad, Sad Christmas", but it's the original version of "Sad, Sad Summer" so it can't be too different from that

1978 - M.I.U. and L.A. era

- "Rubles", "Ride Arabian, Ride": Al songs

- "Santa Ana Winds" (original version) and "Lookin' Down the Coast": two great works by Al with Brian, especially the original version of "Santa Ana Winds" with different lyrics, grander instrumentation, and lacking the very unnecessary spoken word intro, allegedly with Brian on harmonica

- "I'm Begging You Please": Brian demo, much better than almost any of his other original songs released from this year

- "Where We Are (It Could Be Anything)": early version of a Carl song, a nice listen

- "Calendar Girl": cover with Mike on lead vocal with Brian singing the intro and providing backing vocals

- "I Really Love You", "Basketball Rock", "Bowling": last two are Brian instrumentals

1979 - L.A., Keepin' the Summer Alive era

- "Little Girl", "Jamaica Farewell", "Stranded In the Jungle", "Johnny B. Goode", "Smokey Places", "I'll Always Love You": covers recorded with Brian involvement

- "Boys and Girls": unbooted Brian song

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive and beyond

- "Oh Darlin'" (original version): features Brian on lead vocal with prominent Carl vocals, alternate lyrics, and a much less busy backing track, I prefer this one 1,000x more than the studio version which is harmed by Bruce's production

- "Goin' On" (original backing track): with some charged-up drum fills not in the studio version

- "Be My Baby", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Greenback Dollar", "I'm A Man": covers with Brian involvement, only the first two are booted

- "Fly", "Up Again", "Candlesticks": unbooted

- "Stevie": Brian/Dennis collaboration, possibly written by Brian with production by Dennis. Baffling why it hasn't been released, sounds so damn good and finished enough to put out there

- "I Ran (All the Way Home)": unbooted

- "Rings" and "Walking On Water": charming Brian piano demos

- Cocaine Sessions material: "Why Don't You Tell Me Why (You've Been Good to Me)", "I Feel So Fine", "City Blues", "I Said A Prayer" (early demo of "This Isn't Love"): been circulating for many many years, being repeatedly taken off Youtube whenever it is discovered there

Since there really is STILL so much Beach Boys content out there waiting to be heard, my hope is they could group together a lot of the truly memorable songs and put them on a rarities collection that could drum up more interest in the band's more obscure periods without making prospective fans have to remember to buy/stream one of these collections every single year for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:01:51 PM by jackjachman » Logged
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:54:56 PM »

Hopefully before I die there will be 180 gram vinyl releases of Country Love, First Love, and LBWL. I can't wait to play Wrinkles so loudly that no burgler will ever come near my home.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:43:56 AM »

Hopefully before I die there will be 180 gram vinyl releases of Country Love, First Love, and LBWL. I can't wait to play Wrinkles so loudly that no burgler will ever come near my home.

HA!

Want to add the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track to the list of (hopefully) likely candidates, one of the best unheard things out there. AND the supposedly magnificent rehearsals for the abortive DW POB solo tour.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:24:28 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:56:11 AM »

especially "Carnival" for all of it's channel-swapping charm

COMMENT to jackjachman:  You can hear Carnival (with explanation) at my website.  See: Addendum to Part One of Recording The Beach Boys.
~swd
http://swdstudyvideos.com  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:57:51 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:56 AM »

- "Crack the Whip" and "When I Get Mad (I Just Play My Drums)", both Jasper Daily collobrations with Brian. If "Teeter Totter Love" was any indication, it's best this remained on the cutting room floor
Both lost.

- "Good News" and "Good Time Mama", both recorded during the Smiley Smile sessions
Previously talked about in one of the Sunshine Tomorrow topics. "Good News" was deemed unreleasable, and no tapes for "Good Time Mama" exist (and has been theorized to have just been a working title for the last section of "She's Goin' Bald".

- "New Song", Our Happy Home", "You're As Cool As Can Be", "My Little Red Book": all of them exist and seem releasable, only "My Little Red Book" has been booted
"New Song" actually HAS been booted, commonly referred to as "Indian Wisdom", "Spanish Guitar Instrumental", "Margarita", etc.

- "You Never Give Me Your Money": YES PLEASE (if it's anything more than a very loose post-session jam)
That's exactly what it is. A run-through take of "Good Time" transitioned into a very loose, incomplete jam of "You Never Give Me Your Money".

- "Spark In the Dark", "Body Talk", "Is Jack Reilly Superman?", "Gimme Some Lovin'", "Rooftop Harry", "Telephone Backgrounds": all sound quite intriguing, and would be good to find out if "Spark In the Dark" has any relation to "Funky Pretty" or if it's just a term Brian likes
"Gimme Some Lovin'" is lost. Hard to say if "Is Jack Rieley Superman" was even recorded, or it was even its own song as opposed to a temporary name given to another W.I.P. track. "Spark in the Dark" has no relation to "Funky Pretty". Apparently, it's an instrumental featuring a riff later heard in Brian's "Chain Reaction of Love".

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »

I think there should be a Brian is Back box set. Including 15 Big Ones/Love You albums and sessions. As well as unreleased material from that period. As well as an official release of Adult Child. Include maybe a DVD of highlights of Brian on the road and interviews from 76-78ish. I don't know if there would be any money in something like this, but I would pay $100 for it!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

I think there should be a Brian is Back box set. Including 15 Big Ones/Love You albums and sessions. As well as unreleased material from that period. As well as an official release of Adult Child. Include maybe a DVD of highlights of Brian on the road and interviews from 76-78ish. I don't know if there would be any money in something like this, but I would pay $100 for it!
Added they should throw in a restoration of Brian is Back, and some of the live performances from the era.  I would also pay $100 for it if not more...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »

Added they should throw in a restoration of Brian is Back, and some of the live performances from the era.  I would also pay $100 for it if not more...

Absolutely!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »

especially "Carnival" for all of it's channel-swapping charm

COMMENT to jackjachman:  You can hear Carnival (with explanation) at my website.  See: Addendum to Part One of Recording The Beach Boys.
~swd
http://swdstudyvideos.com  

Many many thanks to you as always, Stephen! There isn't a more definitive voice on the band's music from this period outside of the members themselves. You are doing such valuable work with these study videos, they're crucial for truly appreciating the work you guys did way back when.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:17:27 PM by jackjachman » Logged
Marcella Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »

Isint Burlesque lost as well? I heard somewhere that if it existed it would have been released by now cause it was pretty good
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »

Hopefully Smile remastered and remixed in stereo.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:27:21 AM by PetSmile » Logged

What would I be without you.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Why not a December download of the 1966-67 Smile tracks that were left off the box?  Plus a stereo mix of Smile.  They could also include more Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and live material that didn't fit on Sunshine Tomorrow.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 10:25:32 AM »

Isint Burlesque lost as well? I heard somewhere that if it existed it would have been released by now cause it was pretty good
That would make me very sad personally.  Maybe BW can rerecord it or something...  Sad
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »

Have updated the list up to 1981, what seems like the last year of the band's 20 year streak of recording new material with some regularity until the '85 album sessions. There is a LOT to go through here, sorry if it's too unwieldy in it's detail. Good to have a conjoined list of all this wonderful and mysterious music, reading some highlights here gets me really excited for the future of this group, seems like we're definitely gonna be seeing this stuff start to trickle out soon enough. Let me know if I'm missing anything/gotten anything wrong, there's a lot to go through.
Marcella Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »

I'm A Man Is Not A Cover. Despite what Bellagio and Wikipedia says, Brian wrote the song
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 06:45:00 PM »

You forgot "Surfer Suzie" from the KTSA era. That's one that I really wanna hear, apparently it's supposed to be surprisingly good!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:56 AM »

Carl's Where We Are is a fantastic song.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »

Want to add the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track to the list of (hopefully) likely candidates, one of the best unheard things out there. AND the supposedly magnificent rehearsals for the abortive DW POB solo tour.

One of my biggest regrets from visiting John Hanlon & Jon Stebbins in the studio for the mixing of Bambu was not having time to listen to the rehearsal tapes...  (Sadly, I do seem to recall that none of these recordings include DW vocals).  However, I was present for many of these rehearsals, (sometimes with Dennis, sometimes just wandering in to visit the band and listen by myself), and they were extraordinary!
The rehearsals took place in the back room of Brother, (in what was normally the room where the equipment was stored, and originally was rented to house the studio's return from the Netherlands), and I can't recall what format they were recorded on, (Jon, a little help here), but they were a portent of how monumental these shows were going to be!  Ah, Dennis, if only...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »

Carl's Where We Are is a fantastic song.

I've never looked up the intricate details of that particular track, but was it recorded as part of Carl's solo deal with Caribou? If so, then I would guess Caribou/Guercio/Sony might have a claim on that track.

I wouldn't personally put that song in the top tier of unreleased tracks; it's a pleasant song of, not surprisingly, a similar ilk as his solo albums.

I had always hoped Carl's solo albums would be reissued with the "My Father's Place" live show as a bonus; but that of course didn't happen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »

Regarding the "Cocaine Tapes" as listed above, there's no way they'd ever release all of it or even a substantive part of it. It's probably highly unlikely they'd put *any* of it out, but if they did they'd maybe try to extract a decent edit of "Oh Lord" and "City Blues" and not much else. I'm not even 100% certain Brian and Dennis knew they were being recorded, and I'm not 100% certain anybody knows who owns the tape.

It's not a particularly listenable tape. It's obviously interesting and poignant, but the only reason I'd ever advocate for releasing anything from it is due to the pure, raw emotion Brian brings to "Oh Lord", and the interesting chord progressions on "City Blues" (my mind was blown when Brian re-recorded it in 2004; and then I was disappointed because the final track sounds way too busy and cluttered and muddy; simply put: overproduced). 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:42:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »

Regarding the "Cocaine Tapes" as listed above, there's no way they'd ever release all of it or even a substantive part of it. It's probably highly unlikely they'd put *any* of it out, but if they did they'd maybe try to extract a decent edit of "Oh Lord" and "City Blues" and not much else. I'm not even 100% certain Brian and Dennis knew they were being recorded, and I'm not 100% certain anybody knows who owns the tape.

It's not a particularly listenable tape. It's obviously interesting and poignant, but the only reason I'd ever advocate for releasing anything from it is due to the pure, raw emotion Brian brings to "Oh Lord", and the interesting chord progressions on "City Blues" (my mind was blown when Brian re-recorded it in 2004; and then I was disappointed because the final track sounds way too busy and cluttered and muddy; simply put: overproduced). 

If they actually released City Blues, wouldn't that cause them to have to address the fact (it is regarded more or less as a fact, right?) that Denny actually cowrote the song, but oddly wasn't credited on its only official release on Brian's GIOMH album? That's always been a head-scratcher.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »

There's supposedly a Beach Boys attempt at Oh Lord, but I'm not sure if anyone has heard it.  Maybe it's one of those 15 songs Howie was referring to a couple weeks ago.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

There's supposedly a Beach Boys attempt at Oh Lord, but I'm not sure if anyone has heard it.  Maybe it's one of those 15 songs Howie was referring to a couple weeks ago.

They supposedly worked on it (or, at least Brian along with Steve Levine did) in 1984 for the BB '85 album. I don't think I've ever heard or read an actual description of what's on the recording. It could well be a backing track or partial backing track with no vocals.

I recall that they worked on several songs not finished for the album, including possibly Al's "And I Always Will", which he of course put on his solo album 25 years later.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:27:37 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Marcella Wilson Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »

They also worked on a song called Down By The Pier with Carl on lead vocals in 1984
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »

Still waiting for that Live Box. For a band that did so many concerts, the lack of live material released is criminal. Some of it is trickling out now on the MIC box and Sunshine Tomorrow, but still so much out there.  I would love one of the concerts from the summer of 76.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx