gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:18:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 111435 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: December 02, 2022, 09:29:56 AM »

Found this on FECC regarding the above posted new LP:

SIDE A

April 9, 1972 - Hampton Roads Coliseum, Hampton, Virginia

1. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra (Theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey) *
2. See See Rider *
3. I Got A Woman / Amen *
4. Never Been To Spain *
5. You Gave Me A Mountain *
6. Until It's Time For You To Go *
7. Polk Salad Annie *

SIDE B

April 10, 1972 - Richmond Coliseum, Richmond, Virginia

1. Love Me *
2. All Shook Up *
3. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel *
4. Heartbreak Hotel *
5. Hound Dog *
6. Bridge Over Troubled Water *
7. Love Me Tender *
8. It's Over *
9. Suspicious Minds *

SIDE C

April 14, 1972 at Greensboro Coliseum, Greensboro, North Carolina

1. Introductions *
2. For The Good Times *
3. American Trilogy *
4. Burning Love *
5. Release Me (And Let Me Love Again) *
6. Funny How Time Slips Away *
7. Can't Help Falling In Love *
8. Closing Vamp *

SIDE D

April 18, 1972 Convention Center Arena, San Antonio, Texas

April 9, 1972 - Hampton Roads Coliseum, Hampton, Virginia

1. Proud Mary
2. How Great Thou Art
3. I Can't Stop Loving You
4. Are You Lonesome Tonight? *
5. A Big Hunk O' Love *
6. Lawdy, Miss Clawdy *

Tracks 1-3 recorded April 18

Tracks 4-6 recorded April 9

*= Previously unreleased

http://elv75.blogspot.com/2022/12/december-02-elvis-on-tour-digitally.html

Also today the On Tour set was released digitally.

And this:

Elvis Presley - Never Been to Spain (Elvis On Tour Interviews)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZfJt-Jc4aE

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:35:21 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2022, 08:03:58 AM »

Austin Butler’s Full Concert Performance as Elvis Presley Will Be Released, Baz Luhrmann Promises
However, the director won't start work on his estimated four-hour cut of the biopic until 2025

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/austin-butler-elvis-presley-concert-baz-luhrmann-directors-cut-1234638749/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 13, 2022, 12:16:15 AM »

Austin Butler’s Full Concert Performance as Elvis Presley Will Be Released, Baz Luhrmann Promises
However, the director won't start work on his estimated four-hour cut of the biopic until 2025

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-news/austin-butler-elvis-presley-concert-baz-luhrmann-directors-cut-1234638749/

I am so tired of the obsession over Austin Butler. In my opinion, at best, his performance was average. His voice/accent was off, and he shouldn’t have been cast in the first place because he doesn’t look enough like Elvis. I have heard those in charge of the nominations for the Golden Globes disagree with me, but I stand firm in my opinion. For all the research Baz Luhrmann did, there could and should have made many improvements to the movie (accuracy, casting, etc.).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »

Elvis Presley - Elvis On Tour: The Boxset (Elvis On Tour Interviews)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oAvPYCvAJo

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: January 13, 2023, 07:14:09 AM »

Well, the movie won a Golden Globe (Austin Butler). But this is overshadowed by the death of Lisa Marie. Rest in Peace.

Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis Presley's daughter, dies at 54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTsM5qbvOA

Reporter describes seeing Lisa Marie Presley days before her death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQzW2wg0ac

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2023, 01:04:59 PM »

I am so tired of the obsession over Austin Butler. In my opinion, at best, his performance was average. His voice/accent was off, and he shouldn’t have been cast in the first place because he doesn’t look enough like Elvis. I have heard those in charge of the nominations for the Golden Globes disagree with me, but I stand firm in my opinion. For all the research Baz Luhrmann did, there could and should have made many improvements to the movie (accuracy, casting, etc.).
agreed
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: January 23, 2023, 09:56:40 AM »

Well, the movie won a Golden Globe (Austin Butler). But this is overshadowed by the death of Lisa Marie. Rest in Peace.

Lisa Marie Presley, Elvis Presley's daughter, dies at 54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMTsM5qbvOA

Reporter describes seeing Lisa Marie Presley days before her death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDQzW2wg0ac

So, the funeral is over and Lisa Marie was laid to rest.

Family and fans say goodbye to Lisa Marie Presley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95heO1i5LQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95heO1i5LQ

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: February 02, 2023, 11:18:54 AM »

I don't think this was posted before:

JUST A BOY FROM TUPELO: BRINGING ELVIS TO THE BIG SCREEN

Director Baz Luhrmann, actors Austin Butler and Tom Hanks, and others explore the life and legacy of Elvis Presley and the making of the acclaimed hit film, ELVIS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brwTshLMoho

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2023, 01:41:53 AM »

For the upcoming Record Store Day:

"Burning Love: The RCA Rehearsals compiles the best of the recordings made during rehearsals for Elvis’ April 1972 US tour, and the tracks are all taken from the new Elvis On Tour collection.

The 2LP Record Store Day 2023 set features rare and unreleased versions of “Burning Love”, “Heartbreak Hotel” and “Jailhouse Rock,” [sic!] along with some of Elvis’ favorite cover songs, gospel songs and more."

Side A
1. Burning Love - Take 3 *
2. For The Good Times - Take 5 *
3. Always On My Mind - Take 3
4. Separate Ways - Take 2
5. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Side B
1. See See Rider - Take 2
2. Proud Mary - Take 2
3. Never Been To Spain - Take 2
4. Until It’s Time For Me To Go
5. Polk Salad Annie
6. All Shook Up
7. Heartbreak Hotel

Side C
1. Help Me Make It Through The Night
2. Young And Beautiful
3. Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
4. Release Me (And Let Me Love Again)
5. A Big Hunk O’Love - Take 2
6. Funny How Time Slips Away
7. Can’t Help Falling In Love

Side D
1. I, John
2. Bosom Of Abraham
3. You Better Run
4. Lead Me, Guide Me
5. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus/Nearer My God To Thee
6. How Great Thou Art *

* previously unreleased

Source: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15745
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 01:42:53 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2023, 08:40:24 AM »

What about the FTD release opening night Jan 1972-do you think that will be any good or was that not a great show?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2023, 01:16:41 AM »

What about the FTD release opening night Jan 1972-do you think that will be any good or was that not a great show?

I like that show very much. But I am not sure I understand what you mean. Has there a FTD release of this show been announced (I have not kept track of the FTD concert releases)? There's a recent release by the Memphis Recording Service label which I only listened to via youtube and through laptop speakers, but it sounded ok.
The show itself is really good imo. And the setlist was full of "new" songs. You can see that Elvis and his band put a lot of work into this. Then again it probably was the last time that he presented a fresh show, except for a couple of months in '74/'75.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »

Right It’s Memphis recording service rather than FTD
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: February 23, 2023, 04:42:26 AM »

Oh, okay. They have used this fake-stereo which is currently very popular in the bootleg scene, it seems. Again, I've only listened through my laptop speakers and therefor can't say very much about the quality. But the show is great. It's also good to hear Burton having a solo on "Hound Dog". Songs like "Hound Dog" and "Blue suede Shoes" benefit from a guitar solo because otherwise Elvis just ran through them in under one minute.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: March 13, 2023, 11:32:43 AM »

Turning 50, 'Elvis On Tour' remains a valuable document of the 1970s
'Elvis On Tour' shows Presley in the midst of the whirlwind touring that dominated his career in the 1970s. 'Elvis On Tour' directors and members of Elvis' backing band tell about the experience — with the film now reissued as an expanded edition in a Blu-ray/CD set.

https://www.goldminemag.com/features/turning-50-elvis-on-tour-remains-a-valuable-document-of-the-1970s

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: June 29, 2023, 10:16:02 AM »

Saw this on FECC:

How Elvis made his classic 'Comeback Special': Director Steve Binder revisits working with the King of Rock 'n' Roll for 'a make-or-break situation'

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/how-elvis-made-his-classic-comeback-special-director-steve-binder-revisits-working-with-the-king-of-rock-n-roll-for-a-make-or-break-situation-110042256.html

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 01, 2023, 10:07:14 AM »

It’s hard to get into the Elvis on tour because he just wasn’t the same guy as in That’s the way It Is. He seems serious or depressed and sedated/sluggish and while not fat he looks too pale and clearly on drugs of some kind.Not at all the same fun loving guy depicted in That’s the Way It Is. In 1970 he seemed to be enjoying every minute of making music but in On tour it’s like a job that he can’t way to get over with. In That’s the Way It Is there’s a spontaneity about his performance but in On Tour it seems like every gesture and utterance is pre planned
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 09, 2023, 09:25:13 PM »

It’s hard to get into the Elvis on tour because he just wasn’t the same guy as in That’s the way It Is. He seems serious or depressed and sedated/sluggish and while not fat he looks too pale and clearly on drugs of some kind.Not at all the same fun loving guy depicted in That’s the Way It Is. In 1970 he seemed to be enjoying every minute of making music but in On tour it’s like a job that he can’t way to get over with. In That’s the Way It Is there’s a spontaneity about his performance but in On Tour it seems like every gesture and utterance is pre planned

Ian, I’m not sure if that’s entirely true. He seems to have some fun with Lawdy Miss Clawdy and the gospel jam session (and maybe more, but those are the first ones that come to my head.) He was also going through the separation period so that might be part of it, too. Yes, he’s not as overjoyed as he is during TTWII, but it’s not all doom and gloom.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2023, 01:58:11 AM »

Well, there's obviously a big difference between doing a month full of one nighters all over the country and doing an engagement at a luxurious hotel with your own suite. Yet there is no question about the change in Elvis and his mood (as it shows on the outside). Even his stage performance was changing. In late '71 he was still moving all over the stage while this was not the case for '72 (except for Polk Salad Annie). Also his voice took a big change in '72 and I wonder if it had anything to do with the drugs he took. A change in the voice of course is a natural event but the difference between '70/'71 and '72 is quite big. I guess his changed mood and overall appearance could easily be linked to his drug use. Maybe new stuff that he didn't take before. Who knows.
Of course the separation also took it's toll. That would leave no one untouched and especially not a person who wasn't used to anyone telling him no.

1972 shows Elvis imo at the beginnig of a downward spill. Almost like in that year the drugs won against his body and psyche. This is quite fascinating to watch on On Tour. Someone on a german messageboard once said that he finds this movie so cool is because it finally shows Elvis as a typical rock star with all the clichés: pale, drugged up, constantly on the move, sweaty, only there to give the next show. I kinda agree with that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 02:08:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2023, 07:23:13 PM »

Well I agree that it does make him seem like mick Jagger or Jimmy Page…that was a drastic change for Elvis. His image would have taken a real hit if the film producers had not agreed to release a highly sanitized version of the footage-Leaving out most of the off color comments and odd behavior.  As many have commented-He just began to act like a different person-not always though. It’s like he had maintained the image for so long and now he was having a hard time playing the role of Elvis that people expected. It was all the pills -there really is no other explanation. I really think he was a guy that lived in a very small hermetically sealed environment and that is boring-so leads to drugs. Same story of Michael Jackson and even Prince. Instead of traveling and having fun-he was just in a hotel or in Graceland with his small group-not being challenged. Even the guys knew what was up-they talked in the Guralnick book about how exciting it was to go see Jackie Wilson at a club in the 60s because Elvis  did such things so rarely.  Instead of having those experiences he isolated himself
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 26, 2023, 04:54:11 PM »

The “Reinventing Elvis” documentary will be shown in select US theaters on Sunday, July 30. It’s 96 minutes long.
There’s one small suburban theater about an hour away from me showing it. Strange that no theaters in New Orleans are showing it. Anyway, I probably won’t be able to go and I don’t have Paramount+ .
My “Elvis freak” sister might go — if so I’ll ask her what she thought about it, etc.

Thanks for your Old Time Rockers postings.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2023, 08:56:33 AM »

I'd be interested to know her thoughts. To tell you the truth I'm not sure what to expect. It seems like every couple of years a book or special about the Comeback gets released, many times with input by Steve Binder. What can be said that hasn't been already said hundreds of times?
I'm also skeptical of the trailer, since it doesn't even use Elvis' voice. Only now I realize that this is the actual trailer and not some fan made video.

https://www.reinventingelvis.com/videos/

BTW do you remember the mentioned "One Night with You" edit of the sit-down-shows? That was really good. I would like a re-release of that. Maybe in a streaming form or whatever would be suitable nowadays. I still have a recording of when it was shown on german TV and absolutely enjoy watching it.

I really think he was a guy that lived in a very small hermetically sealed environment and that is boring-so leads to drugs. Same story of Michael Jackson and even Prince. Instead of traveling and having fun-he was just in a hotel or in Graceland with his small group-not being challenged. Even the guys knew what was up-they talked in the Guralnick book about how exciting it was to go see Jackie Wilson at a club in the 60s because Elvis  did such things so rarely.  Instead of having those experiences he isolated himself

I think you're absolutely right although I don't know if this situation led to the drugs or other circumstances (remember that it was pretty common in the 50s for musicians on the road to take amphetamines). But the man certainly lived in his own reality and judging by some of his bevahior his psyche seems to have taken damage by that.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 09:07:00 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2023, 10:52:06 AM »

Right…the drugs may have started with pills on the road that everyone did in those days. The Guaralnick book suggests it first became a problem around 1965-6, which was at his career low point-as the films really declined in quality and he put on weight. Still what ever problems he had at that time did not leak out to the public and he had a very clean image as late as 1971. But that is when he started to just have a hard time staying in control and people started to know occasional troubling behavior in the studio and on the road. By 72 he was becoming kind of erratic and it shows on screen in that film
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: August 01, 2023, 03:06:13 AM »

Over at FECC the reviews of the Comeback documentary are all very positive.

Also:

Director reflects on documentary 'Finding Elvis: The '68 Comeback'

John Scheinfeld has earned both Emmy and Grammy nominations for his TV documentaries about music and his new one out this summer tells the story of "Reinventing Elvis," how a single TV show revived his career back in 1968.

https://abc7ny.com/reinventing-elvis-the-68-comeback-john-scheinfeld-documentary/13577593/

Reinventing Elvis: The '68 Comeback Review: An Eye-Opening Look at the Legend’s Major Comeback Attempt

In director John Scheinfeld documentary about Elvis Presley, the filmmaker offers a passionate look at the comeback that almost didn't happen.

https://movieweb.com/reinventing-elvis-the-68-comeback-review/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 03:07:49 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: August 02, 2023, 09:39:09 AM »

'Reinventing ELVIS:
The '68 Comeback'
The 2023 John Scheinfeld / Steve Binder Documentary
Feature Review by Nigel Patterson
Plus additional reviews by Emiel Maier, Geoffrey McDonnell and Don Hudson

https://www.elvisinfonet.com/Spotlight-Reinventing-Elvis-The-68-Comeback-documentary-Review.html

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 03, 2023, 10:41:30 PM »

I'd be interested to know her thoughts. To tell you the truth I'm not sure what to expect. It seems like every couple of years a book or special about the Comeback gets released, many times with input by Steve Binder. What can be said that hasn't been already said hundreds of times?
I'm also skeptical of the trailer, since it doesn't even use Elvis' voice. Only now I realize that this is the actual trailer and not some fan made video.

https://www.reinventingelvis.com/videos/

BTW do you remember the mentioned "One Night with You" edit of the sit-down-shows? That was really good. I would like a re-release of that. Maybe in a streaming form or whatever would be suitable nowadays. I still have a recording of when it was shown on german TV and absolutely enjoy watching it.

I still have  that special on VHS - I enjoy it more than the actual show. Just Elvis and his buddies, relaxing, playing the old tunes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx