gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:41:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 111392 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2019, 06:42:04 AM »

Go inside the making of Elvis' 'Live 1969' box set with Grammy-winning Memphis engineer Matt Ross-Spang

https://eu.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/08/07/elvis-presley-live-1969-box-set-matt-ross-spang-elvis-week-memphis-music/1856878001/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2019, 07:18:37 AM »

I get the message "Only available for subscribers" when I click on the link. I'm a big fan of Elvis's 1969-1972 live period.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2019, 07:42:58 AM »

I get the message "Only available for subscribers" when I click on the link. I'm a big fan of Elvis's 1969-1972 live period.

I can see it and I'm no subscriber  Huh
But this link seems to be for Europe. Can you find it through the US-site of the Commercial Appeal?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2019, 01:23:00 AM »

Elvis Presley - Live 1969 Unboxing

https://youtu.be/SnSzx1SpDaQ

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:17 AM »

‘Live 1969’ Is a Fascinating Snapshot of Elvis Presley in His Comeback Prime

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/elvis-live-1969-review-elvis-presley-box-set-870345/

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:19:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2019, 12:58:29 AM »

Elvis' Las Vegas Comeback Turns 50: How the King Conquered His 'Toughest Challenge'

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8528218/elvis-presley-las-vegas-comeback

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2019, 02:53:23 AM »

Just saw this new trailer for Ken Burns' "Country music" (check out the Country-thread on this forum for more about that) and realized that it features yet unreleased 8mm footage of Elvis. Click here at ca.  0:19-0:20 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH5bPHz-QAE
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:06:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »

I've become obsessed with Elvis in the last month. I think he was the greatest. Some albums I've been playing:

- Elvis at Sun
- Elvis Presley
- Elvis
- Loving You
- Elvis' Golden Records
- For LP Fans Only
- A Date with Elvis
- Elvis (1968 live album)
- From Elvis in Memphis
Lots more to discover. Enjoy the ride!  Cool Guy
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »

Yeah I noticed they had some home movies of Elvis and Johnny Cash listening to some demos on a record player
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »

1969 was a pivotal year for Elvis Presley. Fresh from the success of the ’68 Comeback Special, a revitalized Elvis headed to American Sound Studios with producer Chips Moman and a crack group of local session musicians. From these sessions came From Elvis In Memphis, one of the most beloved LPs of his career, plus the seminal hits “Suspicious Minds” (his 18th and final No. 1 hit) and “In The Ghetto.” American Sound Sessions 1969, available for the first time on vinyl, features rare and unreleased outtakes from these legendary sessions.

Side A: 1. “Long Black Limousine (Take 6)” 2. “Wearin' That Loved On Look (Takes 12, 13 & 14)” 3. “You'll Think Of Me (Take 16)” 4. “I'm Movin' On (Take 2 - with vocal replacements and steel guitar overdub)” 5. “A Little Bit Of Green (Take 1)”
Side B: 1. “In The Ghetto (Take 1)” 2. “From A Jack To A King (Takes 1-3)” 3. “Without Love (There Is Nothing)(Take 1” 4. “I'll Be There (Takes 1-3)” 5. “Suspicious Minds (Take Cool(undubbed master)”
Side C: 1. “Stranger In My Hometown - Jam (undubbed)” 2. “It's My Way/This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You – Jam” 3. “True Love Travels On A Gravel Road (Take 2)” 4. “Power Of My Love (Take 1)” 5. “After Loving You (Take 2)”
Side D: 1. “Do You Know Who I Am? (Take 4)” 2. “Kentucky Rain (Take Cool” 3. “Only The Strong Survive (Take 29)” 4. “It Keeps Right On A Hurtin' (Takes 1 & 2)” 5. “Any Day Now (Takes 1 & 2)”

Source: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/11801

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: October 26, 2019, 08:07:19 AM »

And more news about the movie:

New Elvis Presley movie starring Tom Hanks to be filmed on the Gold Coast

Hollywood legend Tom Hanks will star in a new Baz Luhrmann movie about the life of Elvis Presley to be filmed on the Gold Coast.

The dual-Oscar winner will play Presley's lifelong manager Colonel Tom Parker, but who'll play The King of rock 'n' roll is yet to be revealed.

"The role of Elvis will be filled after a worldwide search to be overseen by Baz Luhrmann," Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk told parliament.

She said the production would inject more than $105 million into the local economy, and generate 900 jobs in areas including set construction, catering and costume design.

The Warner Bros. Pictures film will be shot at the Village Roadshow studios on the Gold Coast, and follows a recent meeting between the premier and Luhrmann in London.

It will explore Presley's rise to fame with a focus on his complicated relationship with his manager.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/gold-coast-news-entertainment-elvis-film-tom-hanks/66a5b20f-d281-4b13-a964-1e0da558ac85

More news about this movie:

Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis Biopic Casts ‘The Society’s’ Olivia DeJonge as Priscilla Presley

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/baz-luhrmann-elvis-movie-priscilla-presley-olivia-dejonge-1203383589/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2019, 06:44:17 AM »

I just heard that Sony Legacy will release a new vinyl version of "50.000.000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" - the second volume of the "Gold Records" series - in January 2020. So for every collector and everyone who wants to get into Elvis' music, this should be interesting. It's one helluva album!

I Need Your Love Tonight    
Don't    
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck    
My Wish Came True    
I Got Stung    
One Night    
A Big Hunk O' Love    
I Beg Of You    
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I    
Doncha' Think It's Time

IIRC the wrong version of "Doncha' think it's time" was used, which differed from the single version.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »

I just heard that Sony Legacy will release a new vinyl version of "50.000.000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" - the second volume of the "Gold Records" series - in January 2020. So for every collector and everyone who wants to get into Elvis' music, this should be interesting. It's one helluva album!

I Need Your Love Tonight    
Don't    
My Wish Came True    
I Got Stung    
One Night    
A Big Hunk O' Love    
I Beg Of You    
Doncha' Think It's Time

IIRC the wrong version of "Doncha' think it's time" was used, which differed from the single version.
I hope they will add a few bonus tracks - it's a very short album as it is.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2019, 02:32:21 AM »

In case anyone is interested, here is the original single version of "Doncha' think it's time":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ_mry1HUJg

And here is the version that was used on the "Gold records vol. 2" album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwVTzt-nTY

I hope this is correct, I wasn't able to compare with the records.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »

In the guralnick book he notes that Elvis was embarrassed to wear the gold outfit and only wore the pants for one show-from then on he usually wore the jacket and black pants
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2020, 10:49:08 AM »

‘Elvis: That’s the Way It Is’ Documentary Set for Re-Release (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/elvis-thats-the-way-it-is-documentary-release-1203507018/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2020, 02:20:59 AM »

Yola to Play Sister Rosetta Tharpe in Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Elvis’ (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/yola-elvis-presley-movie-sister-rosetta-tharpe-1203510668/

- Jack Rieley
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »

I Need Your Love Tonight    
Don't    
My Wish Came True    
I Got Stung    
One Night    
A Big Hunk O' Love    
I Beg Of You    
Doncha' Think It's Time

I love this album. I Got Stung, One Night and A Big Hunk O' Love are perfect. And placed in succession!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 29, 2020, 12:47:19 PM »

Danzig Finally Sets Release Date for Elvis Presley Covers Album

More than five years in the making, Misfits singer’s covers LP, ‘Danzig Sings Elvis,’ out in April

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/danzig-elvis-presley-album-959233/?fbclid=IwAR28XB7r6_G4i1cxGREk3celqdZ4_8ZMECTgbeez9jWcDOFJpdLkJRSjUMc

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: March 03, 2020, 01:05:06 PM »

Can Elvis Rise Again?

The Presley estate’s earnings have slipped in the past decade — but a new team is hellbent on overhauling his image

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/elvis-presley-business-revenue-953324/?fbclid=IwAR0wqK-Kti2zJsB0FphrFc55IM3L5hgUpUO6ILIdN0zn83aSKfKV92iat4o

All those "ideas" sound like total sh!t. What kind of people are at work there? I've never heard anything as stupid and sure-to-be-a-failure as this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:07:27 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »

Elvis is one of my all-time favourates, but how many times can you sell the same (admittedly beautiful) car?

Anyway, so what if EP Enterprises revenue drops? Elvis don't care and the music's all that matters anyway.  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2020, 02:05:46 PM »

‘Fatal Attraction,’ ‘To Catch a Thief,’ and ‘King Creole’ Will Be First Films Released in New “Paramount Presents” Blu-ray Line on April 21

https://www.awardscircuit.com/fatal-attraction-to-catch-a-thief-and-king-creole-will-be-first-films-released-in-new-paramount-presents-blu-ray-line-on-april-21/

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »

Can Elvis Rise Again?

The Presley estate’s earnings have slipped in the past decade — but a new team is hellbent on overhauling his image

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/elvis-presley-business-revenue-953324/?fbclid=IwAR0wqK-Kti2zJsB0FphrFc55IM3L5hgUpUO6ILIdN0zn83aSKfKV92iat4o

All those "ideas" sound like total sh!t. What kind of people are at work there? I've never heard anything as stupid and sure-to-be-a-failure as this.
Oh god, please don't tell me that in the near future we'll have reanimated AI celebrities on tv giving us guitar tutorials. That's even worse than those hologram concert tours.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 12, 2020, 03:12:52 AM »

Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson Test Positive For Coronavirus As Outbreak Hits ‘Elvis Presley’ Film

https://deadline.com/2020/03/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-test-positive-coronavirus-elvis-presley-movie-1202880431/?fbclid=IwAR0jn7IQx-JfxenfDMZq3iZD-DojqR3QmJ_JhudtPLhhypfBx-TI7isJqlU

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »

Baz Luhrmann Just Revealed More Details About His Stylish Elvis Presley Biopic

https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/elvis-presley-biopic

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx