gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:49:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 111357 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »

Here's a first review:

SXSW Review: ELVIS PRESLEY - THE SEARCHER Is An Exhaustive Portrait Of A Lonely Enigma

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03/17/sxsw-film-review-elvis-presley-the-searcher-is-an-exhaustive-portrait-of-a/amp?__twitter_impression=true

EDIT:

If this review is pot-on, I am very disappointed. Once again the same old  -false in this widespreading way - story of the Colonel being the "devil" and destroying Elvis.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:55:20 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »

Do you have any links to books/articles that have a different view on Parker?
Every book/documentary casts him in an evil light.

Have wondered why Elvis stuck with Parker all those years.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2018, 02:12:24 PM »

Do you have any links to books/articles that have a different view on Parker?
Every book/documentary casts him in an evil light.

Have wondered why Elvis stuck with Parker all those years.

I'm afraid I don't have any at hand right now. Except for Guralnick's books. He plans to write one on the Colonel, I believe.

But it's simple. Many fans (and that includes EPE) won't let you say anything critical against Elvis. They have a ideologic view on Elvis. So for everything bad that happened they blame someone else, be it the Colonel, Priscilla, the Memphis Mafia etc. Fact is though, that Elvis was not such a dummy as he has to be seen when you go their way. Elvis was the boss, no one told him what to do. That includes the Colonel. Elvis had the final approvement, Colonel couldn't tell Elvis what to do. There are a lot of legends that quite obviously are indefensible.
Certainly there's no reason to think the Colonel did everything right and was perfect. He surely had his faults and shortcomings. So did Elvis. But when you hear people saying - like in the review above - that the Colonel booked more shows for Elvis out of his own need for money and that Elvis fell into his drug addiction even heavier, therefore blaming the Colonel for Presley's death, it's just crazy. Especially because it was Elvis who wanted to tour more and told the Colonel to book more shows. As always, nothing is black and white. In the end, Elvis was in control of his career and he didn't have to listen to anything the Colonel said, but the Colonel's job was to give Elvis his opinion.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2018, 06:04:45 AM »

Graceland opens vault for Elvis doc

Priscilla Presley opens up about her ex-husband Elvis Presley in a new documentary called “Elvis Presley: The Searcher” airing on April 14 on HBO in the U.S.. Graceland opened up its vault of archival footage and recordings to give a behind-the-scenes look at the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, including an examination of Presley's use of prescription drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Th2aPkiPI0

Critics' Picks: The 10 Best Films of SXSW 2018

In a psychologically penetrating two-part doc, Thom Zimny (director of a series of excellent Bruce Springsteen films) manages to rescue Presley from decades of caricature and shallow mythologizing, focusing on the musical curiosity and passion that drove the man long after he became a King. HBO will air it next month. — J.D.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/critics-picks-10-best-films-sxsw-2018-1095374/item/elvis-presley-searcher-10-best-films-sxsw-2018-1095375

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »

Saw this on the FECC forum:

SEARCH ACROSS TEXAS
Elvis Presley: The Searcher's world premiere at SXSW 2018

By Shawn Poole - March 20, 2018

The world premiere of Elvis Presley: The Searcher took place last week in Austin, TX as part of the 2018 SXSW Film Festival. Director Thom Zimny's two-part film, running a total of 3 hours and 15 minutes, will make its television debut next month on HBO.

The film's premiere was accompanied by a panel discussion featuring Zimny, Priscilla Presley, and legendary Memphis-based soul music producer/songwriter David Porter. The discussion was moderated by John Jackson, frequent Jayhawks collaborator and senior vice-president of A&R at Sony Music/Legacy Recordings. Jackson, Porter and Presley are among the principal figures who were interviewed for the documentary. Jon Landau, one of the film's producers, also was interviewed for the film and scheduled to be part of the panel, but was unable to attend due to Winter Storm Skylar.

Priscilla Presley, Elvis' former wife, and Jerry Schilling, his longtime friend and former "Memphis Mafia" inner-circle associate, had been shopping around the idea of a new kind of Elvis Presley documentary for several years before they brought the concept to HBO. The network, having already aired Thom Zimny's Bruce Springsteen documentary The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town, recommended Zimny and The Promise executive producer Jon Landau as ideal collaborators for the Presley project.

The title of the film, as well as its focus, stem from one of Priscilla Presley's comments on her ex-husband's artistry in the interview she recorded for the film. Her comment serves as the first words spoken onscreen: "Elvis was a searcher. It's a part of him that never left."

During the panel discussion, Thom Zimny expanded upon how connecting with Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling helped to keep his film grounded in Elvis' consistent efforts to connect musically from the beginning of his career to its tragic end. Zimny had extensive access to Presley's private and public recordings, films and television appearances (including concert material — some previously unreleased — and rarely-to-never-before-seen artifacts provided by studios, fans and collectors). He also interviewed many who were close to Presley, those who worked closely with him and some (in the case of musicians like Bruce Springsteen) who were deeply inspired by his music.

"I realized," said Zimny, "that we were going to be able to touch upon some of the tragic moments — not dwell on the details of them, because I feel other films have explored that dialogue [already] — and also give the feeling that was coming through the music. Which is that he still was connected — he still was trying. There's sadness there, but there's also still this beauty."

Another unique aspect of Elvis Presley: The Searcher is its deep exploration of Presley's conscious efforts to combine Southern country and gospel music with the Black culture — particularly Black gospel and rhythm & blues — that he loved and studied so intently. For the SXSW panel, David Porter spoke knowledgeably and extensively on this important aspect of Presley's artistic accomplishments: "[Elvis] was just a rarity in the respect that he not only was interested in [Black musical culture], he was passionate about it. He wanted to get to the core of what shaped this emotional connectivity that came through Black artistry, and he wanted it so badly that he would dedicate himself to just studying it in a passionate way, and he got it.... You would have to go the source to get it, so he would go the Black clubs, he would go the church…. He developed an even stronger understanding of what it meant, and that gave him, in my opinion, the kind of uniqueness that separated him. It was not a common thing, and that's why he stood out as an artist."

After the panel, Backstreets was able to arrange exclusive interviews with Thom Zimny, HBO's Kary Antholis, Priscilla Presley, and Jerry Schilling. Read below what they told us about Elvis Presley: The Searcher and some interesting Presley/Springsteen connections.

Kary Antholis - Along with Jon Landau and Thom Zimny, Kary Antholis is one of the producers of Elvis Presley: The Searcher, currently President of HBO Miniseries and Cinemax Programming at HBO. When Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling came to HBO to pitch their concept of a new kind of Elvis documentary, then-HBO President Michael Lombardo asked Antholis to sit in on the meeting. As part of their pitch, Presley and Schilling presented a compilation of Elvis footage representing the kind of archival material that could be included in the documentary they envisioned.

"I watched it," Antholis told us, including the "footage that I later learned came from the film Elvis: That's The Way It Is, which is the film about his return to performing live at the International Hotel in Las Vegas. That footage had Elvis in a recording/rehearsal studio as well as in a ballroom rehearsing with the band, and I was immediately struck by the similarity of the way Elvis worked with the band to how Bruce Springsteen worked with his band, particularly in The Promise, Jon Landau and Thom Zimny's film. Jon and Thom have a cinematic understanding of how to present a musical artist at work.

"Thom and I had a dinner with Jerry and Priscilla, and talked about a ton of things — Thom's work with Bruce, Priscilla's and Jerry's sense of Elvis as an artist. The next day, we went over to Warner Brothers, which had in its vault a lot of outtakes from the films Elvis: That's The Way It Is and Elvis On Tour, and we saw about an hour's worth of footage that nobody had ever seen before, including the performances of 'Burning Love' and 'Separate Ways' that are in the film. I still get shivers thinking about sitting next to Priscilla as she watched that footage for the first time. It was just mind-blowing, and we came out of that 24 hours together with a shared sense that we could make a film about Elvis, the artist, and present him in a way that he had never been presented before on film."

Thom Zimny - Elvis Presley: The Searcher is Zimny's first music documentary to feature a credited onscreen writer: music journalist Alan Light, who's also among those interviewed in the film.

"I always enjoyed Alan's writing," Zimny told us. "We quickly connected, and he helped a lot in the initial stages of discussing the narrative of Elvis, and also just doing the research with me." The process helped immensely in preparing Zimny for his interviews with people like Scotty Moore, Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling, who had such close personal relationships with Elvis. "I had a sense of what was already covered and some of the things in which I was interested in going deeper. So along with [esteemed Elvis archivist and researcher] Ernst Jørgensen and Alan Light, I did a couple of months of research that pored over the details of Elvis' recording sessions, his movies, the scope of his career... and with that, worked with Alan on the [interview] questions."

The decision was made early on to present material from all of the modern-day interviews conducted for the film in "audio-only" format, so the audience will hear the voices of interviewees but never see them onscreen (though onscreen captions are used to identify the voice of each interviewee).

Speaking like the skilled editor he is and was before he started directing, Zimny said, "For me, as a director, the film is always found in the cutting room. You find the film in the editing room, and with Elvis it was no different. The beauty of it this time was that there was no 'talking head.' So I was able to work with archival material and stills in a different way, where I tried to create this dream landscape of being in Elvis's mind or his world as much as possible. I wanted the film to feel like it was this tale unfolding, that occasionally Elvis would comment on. After a lot of people discussed many different things, Elvis himself would come and discuss ideas of his career or music, or anything that just gave you a deeper understanding of the man and a chance to hear the magic and beauty of his voice. So I knew if we were cutting to someone sitting in a chair, I'd be taking you out of that dream of the film. It also pushed me in the direction of shooting, as a director, these atmospherics of Graceland, making Graceland itself a character in the movie.

"I worked with visual metaphors of things I got obsessed with; one of the early things was the bike. The bike in the film is an image of Elvis's childhood life. While taking a tour of Graceland, I saw a rusted bike in a little garage. I then saw a photo of Elvis as a child with that kind of bike, and realized that there's a very good chance that it's the same bike. I thought about the importance of that bike, and also his life: how many things he'd lost, but he held on to this bike.

"So that became a visual metaphor for the film and also became a metaphor for the searcher himself — Elvis — because he would go on his bike, go around town, go the churches, go the different clubs and explore. All of that comes together in the cutting room — many times unconsciously, but you try to stay in that dream space and try to tell a story that feels fresh, but also educates a generation in some ways about the beauty and music of this man."

Zimny went on to express his deep appreciation for Priscilla Presley's involvement with Elvis Presley: The Searcher. "One of the most important things for me as a filmmaker was that Priscilla Presley gave me access to both Graceland and the Presley archive. More important, she told me an amazing amount of detail on Elvis and spent many, many, many hours with me, talking. I would not have a film without Priscilla. Priscilla's and Jerry Schilling's dialogue in the film is essential in telling the story.

"Marc Cimino at Universal Music called me up, and I was talking to him about the Elvis project. He brought forward these two ideas: 'Meet Mike McCready from Pearl Jam [who went on to score Elvis Presley: The Searcher],' and also, 'You have to get Tom Petty.' Marc was really insistent:'You've gotta get Tom Petty, because Tom knows the music front to back and is not only a fan but can speak [from experience] to the journey of Elvis' development as a musician.'"

"Mike McCready had this daunting task: how do you score a film next to Elvis Presley music? I went to his home studio in Seattle, and Mike would come up with some amazing ideas. We'd discuss what was going on with Elvis's life and, very similar to Bruce, Mike has that focus and dedication to getting the sound... the sonic landscape that is needed for the movie. And like Bruce, he chases it; he doesn't stop until it's there. I think Mike's amazing, and I want to do every film with him. He was great."

Zimny also related to us how crucial it was to have Jon Landau and Bruce Springsteen involved in this project. "With the Elvis story, Jon Landau was especially important in his influence on how we would approach the film from early on, because we wanted it to be about the music and step away from the 'cartoon' of Elvis. The cartoon presentation of Elvis over the last twenty years has just been focused on the darker side of his life, and the music got lost. One of the key things that Jon and I discussed in the early days of this project was, 'Let's bring back Elvis the artist and let's make the film's focus about the music.'

"I think Jon's knowledge of film and music is amazing to be around, and I feel really comfortable collaborating with him because we're able to get into a dialogue that gives you a lot of space to try things. He's very respectful of that process. He gets it, and he comes from a space of being a writer and editor. He was a film critic, too, and his knowledge of film is astounding. In his own gentle way, he's a great influence and will draw upon art, photography, music and his vast knowledge of those things to bring to a project. I'm really happy that Jon and I had another adventure in film. It was very different than the experience of working with the Bruce narratives, but at the same time we kept the focus very similar; it was about the music."

"For this film, I wanted everyone talking about Elvis to be people who really believed in Elvis and had their lives changed by him. When you look at people like Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen, you know as kids they had this life-changing moment listening to Elvis Presley. You can feel it in their voices, you can feel it in their descriptions of the music, and you can see it in their rock 'n' roll lives. So I wanted to make sure that no one was in the film who was there for the sake of celebrity. You had to believe in Elvis, you had to know the music, and you had to seem like you were never the same after you saw him. That was the criteria. And there was a lot of people I could've reached out to, but I felt that these people really reflected the tone, passion and commitment that we wanted to get across with Elvis.

"My conversations with Bruce were great because Bruce is a big Elvis fan, as I've known for years, and he gave me a great interview where I was able to discuss with him first watching the '68 Comeback special in his living room, his memories of the power of Elvis and his love of the music. I was really grateful to have that time with him, and he just gave me so much."

Jerry Schilling - During the making of Elvis Presley: The Searcher, some time before Springsteen had recorded his interview for the film, Jerry Schilling decided to check out the audiobook version of Springsteen's autobiography Born to Run. Schilling was eager to tell us that he believes Bruce's book contains "the best description of Elvis Presley that I have ever heard. It is a beautiful description of his body of work — who he was, where he came from — that only another artist would understand. It even had a certain element of what was not perfect about Elvis, which made the whole thing beautiful. It's the best description I have ever seen or heard of Elvis Presley."

In the mid-1970s, Jerry Schilling became Billy Joel's tour manager; it was Joel, he told us, who first turned Schilling on to the music of Bruce Springsteen. And in the late 1960s, Schilling began pursuing a career in film editing (Schilling served as an assistant editor and post-production assistant for the 1972 documentary Elvis On Tour, some footage from which was incorporated into Elvis Presley: The Searcher), which helped him to connect so well with Zimny on this project.

"We had a great meeting of minds. Of course, Thom is much more in tune with [editing] than I am. I have a nice overview, but... little things that Thom would put in the middle of something… the research... stuff that Priscilla and I hadn't even seen before. We're just very, very pleased, and it's an honor to be on a project with Bruce Springsteen's name and voice, and Jon Landau. It's truly an honor. And Tom Petty was beautiful in his involvement. Thom put together just a great team; it became a family."

Of course, we had to ask Schilling, who was so close to Elvis, the question that continues to intrigue many fans of both Springsteen and Presley. In the context of Elvis Presley: The Searcher, we were discussing those "third-generation" rockers who were inspired by Elvis, like interviewees Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen. During Elvis's final years, Petty and Springsteen still were young artists just beginning to establish their national and international reputations. We asked Jerry Schilling, however, if he could tell us whether Elvis knew of either of these musicians and at least a bit of their work before he passed. His brief reply: "He did of Bruce."

Priscilla Presley - Priscilla Presley can neither confirm nor deny Jerry Schilling's claim that Elvis Presley was aware of young Bruce Springsteen, but she wouldn't be surprised if it's true. She also would have loved for Bruce and Elvis to have met, because she knows that Elvis would've enjoyed talking with Bruce. "Elvis knew about and loved all kinds of music," she told us, "and he loved talking to musicians. After his Vegas shows, if there was anyone else performing in town — like Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, The Righteous Brothers — he would invite them to his suite, sit down for hours and talk with them. They would connect as artists, whether it be what songs they liked, getting nervous onstage.... He just loved to talk music."

Presley also wanted us to know how deeply she appreciates a particular comment made by Bruce Springsteen in Elvis Presley: The Searcher, a portion of which also appears in the film's trailer: "An artist like Elvis... he's actually pretending when he's home to be normal, and when he goes out onstage at night, it's who he actually is."

"That comment meant so much to me," she told us, "coming from an artist who can understand so many of the issues that Elvis had to face. It was very moving for me to hear it, especially being the person often 'at home' while Elvis went off to work. Next week, while we're in New York, Jerry and I plan to see Springsteen On Broadway. I can't wait to see Bruce and thank him personally for his involvement in this film."

Elvis Presley: The Searcher will make its television debut on HBO at 8 pm ET on Saturday, April 14. It will become available on HBO GO, HBO NOW and On Demand that same weekend. Click here to watch a just-released "Inside Look" video featuring Thom Zimny, Jon Landau, David Porter, Priscilla Presley, Jerry Schilling and Kary Antholis.
- March 20, 2018 - Shawn Poole reporting

http://www.backstreets.com/searcherSXSW.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2018, 05:07:11 AM »

HBO Documentary Probes Real Life of Elvis Presley
By Bill Dries

A Memphis screening of the three-hour, two-part HBO documentary on Elvis Presley over the weekend elicited cheers and applause with some somber moments .

Producer Kary Antholis, music producer David Porter, director Thom Zimny, executive producers Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling, and John Jackson, senior vice president of Sony Music collaborated to create the new HBO documentary, “Elvis Presley: The Searcher,” which tells the real story of Presley’s career. (Daily News/Bill Dries)

“Elvis Presley: The Searcher” was shown at South by Southwest (SXSW) Conference & Festivals in Austin, Texas, and Saturday, March 17, at Guest House at Graceland – both in advance of its debut April 14 on HBO.

The project was fueled partly as a reaction to more than 40 years of books and film and television bios, said Priscilla Presley, the entertainer’s ex-wife, who along with Elvis friend Jerry Schilling served as executive producers of the documentary.

“I’ve read all kinds of books, gone through the pages of all kinds of books and gone, ‘Oh my God, something needs to be done’ because of the perspective of others who never even knew him putting their input in,” she said before the Memphis screening. “Elvis didn’t play for the critics. He played for his audience. The critics who were there from the beginning never really stopped trying to pick him apart. And it really wasn’t that complicated. What you saw on stage was who he was.”

The early discussions among Presley, Schilling and HBO about a new documentary included looking at some outtakes from “That’s The Way It Is,” the only documentary about Presley made during his lifetime.

Director Thom Zimny was also aware of the books and other films.

“There’s many films out there and there’s many books out there that focused on personality or events in Elvis’ life,” Zimny said. “What got lost in it is the real Elvis. And the real Elvis is a man who was connected to the music in a deep and spiritual way. Throughout his whole life he was looking and searched for a sound to explore. A lot of Elvis’ history gets condensed into a shorthand that doesn’t do justice to the full journey. My goal for this film was to find the real Elvis.”

There is a brief mention of Presley’s discovery by Sam Phillips and a muted mention of his marriage to and divorce from Priscilla Presley. There is no mention of the Memphis Mafia – the group of men who were a constant presence in Presley’s life after his return from the U. S. Army. There is more focus than in other documentaries and bios on his time in the Army and how Army service impacted his career as rock ’n’ roll changed.

“The Searcher” also focuses heavily on Presley’s manager, Colonel Tom Parker – criticizing how Parker limited Presley’s pursuit of music as an artist for the pursuit of music by the rules of the carnival industry Parker came from.

The judgments of Parker’s negative impact come from fellow entertainers Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and Robbie Robertson. They, along with Emmylou Harris, were chosen because of the catalytic role Presley’s 1950s recordings had on them at a young age.

Their experience as performers and musicians also informs the commentary about decisions that were made and not made to direct where his career was going.

Parker is heard defending his practices in some rare recordings of interviews, including one in which he denies that he ever vetoed anything Presley wanted to do. That is followed by Schilling citing at least one instance where Parker did just that and Priscilla Presley’s own memories of her ex-husband expressing concerns about the control Parker had over his career.

There are also rare recordings of Presley talking about his unhappiness with the movie roles that kept him from performing and recording anything that was more than a soundtrack. At one point he wonders aloud about time itself changing those kinds of situations.

“It’s coming from the horse’s mouth here,” Priscilla Presley said. “We’re not sugarcoating this at all. We are handling it with great dignity and integrity.”

The context also includes recordings of the folk singer Odetta singing Bob Dylan songs, one of which – “Tomorrow Is A Long Time” – Presley recorded in 1966 that was put on a movie soundtrack album and never released as a single.

The song appears several times as the documentary explores his attempts to choose different and better music than the Hill and Range catalog Presley was locked into at that point because of an agreement Parker made.

In another segment, the film exhibits another major find in the archives – a recording of Presley’s mother, Gladys Presley, singing a gospel song in a home recording. Super 8 films of Presley in Las Vegas in the 1950s were from the Graceland archives and had never been processed before Zimny did it for the film.

“We went deep in the collectors’ world. We went deep inside the vault,” he said. “Every single day there was a new discovery, a new gem.”

The documentary goes deepest at the turns in Presley’s trajectory – offering more about the effects of a decision than an explanation. So at key moments, like the 1972 Aloha From Hawaii satellite television special, the audience watching the screening Saturday applauded and cheered at the end of “American Trilogy” and then grew quiet as the film examined what happened after the television special for better and worse and sent Presley on the road for the last four years of his life constantly touring.

The outtakes from “That’s The Way It Is” of Presley preparing for his 1970s opening in Las Vegas are used in the HBO film as well.

“It’s a story about Elvis, from Elvis,” said Schilling.

Zimny said it’s also about more than the impact Presley had or other people’s encounters with him.

“We knew that Elvis had a strong connection in Memphis and a strong musical understanding of the genres of rhythm and blues and country,” Zimny said. “And what we wanted to do was explore all those details. Those details give you the ideas of Elvis being a hardworking musician who had a passion for music. And we left behind all of the stories that we’ve heard before.”

Stax singer-songwriter and producer David Porter was another voice in the documentary, approached by HBO after his work as a music consultant for the recent made-in-Memphis series “Quarry.”

Porter and his songwriting partner, Isaac Hayes, welcomed Priscilla Presley to Memphis as a favor in the early 1960s at the Manhattan Club, a favorite early Elvis haunt.

“There’s a long background,” Porter said. And in the film, Porter is among the voices that provide context for Presley’s connection to the city’s rhythm and blues and soul music communities.

“This is so different in so many respects,” Porter said of The Searcher.

Porter was also in the building in the early 1970s when Presley recorded at Stax for a set of songs that were dispersed over several albums that followed.

“I was producing the Sweet Inspirations at the same time in our studio B and Elvis was recording in studio A,” he recalled. “I can tell you it was a tremendous production. Elvis was thrilled to be in that studio.”

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2018/mar/20/hbo-documentary-probes-real-life-of-elvis-presley/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »

A member from the FECC uploaded this audio and allowed me to post it here. So thanks very much to him!

Listen to the one hour radio show about the HBO production "Elvis the searcher" with Producer Kary Antholis, Legendary Music Producer David Porter, Director Thom Zimny, Executive Producers Priscilla Beaulieu and Jerry Schilling, and Sony Music’s John Jackson. Click on the link.

https://soundcloud.com/the-baystar-dude/siriusxm-elvis-the-searcher-roundtable

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 02:30:38 AM »

'Elvis Presley: The Searcher, Parts One and Two': Film Review | SXSW 2018

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/elvis-presley-searcher-parts-one-two-1096745

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »

I'm not sure what this is about (maybe the homepage for the movie?) but anyway:

http://elvisforeverybody.com/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2018, 10:42:05 AM »

10 Best TV Shows to See in April: 'Westworld,' Elvis and Jesus
From HBO's hit robot-rebellion thriller to a deep-dive doc on the King of Rock & Roll, what you need to tune in for or die tryin' this month

Elvis Presley: The Searcher (HBO, Apr. 14th)
We know the dewy eyes, the sneered lip, the swiveling hips. But this documentary peels back the layers of the King's complicated public persona to locate the fragile, yearning man at the center of it all. From his days as a rock 'n' roll pioneer and dreamboat cultural ambassador to his latter bloated-Vegas version, Elvis captured the public imagination. With his beloved Priscilla's blessing, this three-hour deep dive uses new archival footage to form a more detailed portrait of this singular figure as a thoughtful, philosophical artist. Better clean up those blue suede shoes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/10-best-tv-shows-to-see-in-apr-westworld-elvis-jesus-w518471

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2018, 12:50:38 AM »

‘Elvis Presley: The Searcher’ on HBO: We Sit Down With Priscilla Presley And Music Documentarian Thom Zimny!

https://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-news/2018/04/02/elvis-presley-the-searcher-on-hbo-we-sit-down-with-priscilla-presley-and-music-documentarian-thom-zimny/

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:51:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2018, 09:58:47 AM »

Hear Elvis Presley's Rare, Stripped-Back Take of 'Suspicious Minds'
Track will appear on soundtrack to new HBO doc 'The Searcher'

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-elvis-presleys-rare-suspicious-minds-take-w518599

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »

'Elvis Presley: The Searcher' Pulls Back the Veil on the King
The upcoming two-part HBO documentary tells the story of Presley's life through his music

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/elvis-presley-the-searcher-hbo-doc-w518496

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

How ‘The Searcher’ Filmmakers Set Out to Save Elvis’ Legacy
How a comprehensive new doc tracks the roots of rock's one true king

http://www.realclearlife.com/movies/searcher-filmmakers-unearthing-hidden-elvis/

EDIT:

Take 6 of Suspicious Minds is also available to listen to on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvq_PY2Zcis
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:34:30 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2018, 04:17:04 AM »

Join the GRAMMY Museum for a special screening of HBO’s two-part music documentary, Elvis Presley: The Searcher. The film takes the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from Elvis’ childhood in Tupelo, Miss.—where he absorbed the inspirations of black and white gospel music—through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions at his iconic Graceland home in Memphis. It includes stunning atmospherics shot inside and around Graceland and features new interviews with session players, producers, engineers, directors, and other artists who knew him or were profoundly influenced by him, including Priscilla Presley, Emmylou Harris, Robbie Robertson, Bruce Springsteen, Stax Records Producer David Porter, and, in interviews conducted before their passing, Scotty Moore, Red West, and Tom Petty. Following the screening, GRAMMY Museum Executive Director Scott Goldman will moderate a panel discussion with Priscilla Presley, film producer/director Thom Zimny, and Jerry Schilling, the former personal aid to Elvis.

https://www.grammymuseum.org/events/detail/elvis-presley-the-searcher

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »

Elvis Is Back With New Money Maker As U.S. Album Certifications Total 146.5 Million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markbeech/2018/04/07/elvis-is-back-with-new-money-maker-as-u-s-album-certifications-total-146-5-million/#7b50461c5f94

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »

Here is one of the original tracks composed by Mike McCready for "The Searcher"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUBuYJ8CKM

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »

Interview: Thom Zimny Reminds Us of Elvis, The Man Behind the Music, The Artist, The Creative in New HBO Doc, Elvis Presley: The Searcher

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2018/04/10/interview-thom-zimny-reminds-us-of-elvis-the-man-behind-the-music-the-artist-the-creative-in-new-hbo-doc-elvis-presley-the-searcher/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2018, 01:07:05 AM »

“Elvis Presley: The Searcher” Director Thom Zimny On Elvis, Bruce Springsteen & What’s Ahead

http://www.thehypemagazine.com/2018/04/elvis-presley-the-searcher-director-thom-zimny-on-elvis-bruce-springsteen-whats-ahead/

'Elvis Presley: The Searcher' aims to restore the King's reputation
When the Pretenders played the Tower Theater last month, Chrissie Hynde took time out to praise the epochal life force and ultra-talented vocalist who set off a post-World War II youthquake in popular culture.

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/music/elvis-presley-the-searcher-aims-to-restore-the-kings-reputation-20180411.html?mobi=true

EDIT:

Goldmine's May issue will have a title story on The Searcher:

http://www.goldminemag.com/news/goldmine-may-2018-issue-celebrates-record-store-day-elvis-the-searcher
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:43:01 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »

Review: A Reverent Elvis Doc Separates the Trailblazer From His Tragedy

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/arts/television/elvis-presley-the-searcher-hbo-review.html

'Elvis Presley: The Searcher': 10 Things We Learned From Epic New Doc

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/elvis-presley-hbo-doc-the-searcher-things-we-learned-w519021

From the Times:

Then he was drafted and sent overseas, his pompadour clipped. He had signed a management contract with the documentary’s villain: Colonel Tom Parker, who was only an honorary colonel and not an American citizen (he was Dutch), which resulted in Presley never touring internationally. When Presley came back from the army, the Colonel envisioned a conventionally grown-up career for him: pop singing (a TV special with Frank Sinatra), movies, merchandise.

This is exactly the stuff that is wrong. Elvis always wanted to be a pop star, who is loved by everyone. That's what he tried when he first came to the Memphis Recording Service. It was a natural thing for him after the army to become the all around star instead of keeping up the James Dean rebel like figure. Why have people so often problems to understand that the man evolved? There's no need to portray the Colonel as the villain. Why the need to have a villain anyway? Everyone tried to do his best and everyone certainly also made a couple of mistakes along the way. So what? Gosh, it's these kind of things that really go on my nerves.

The Gospel Origins of Elvis Presley
HBO’s ‘The Searcher’ chronicles the rock star’s persistent relationship with faith.

https://relevantmagazine.com/culture/tv/gospel-origins-elvis-presley/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:39:32 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »

‘Elvis Presley: The Searcher’ review: Documentary fit for a King

https://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/elvis-presley-the-searcher-review-1.17941404

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2018, 08:27:35 AM »

This is all one of my sisters is obsessing about. She's an absolute Elvis freak.
Even watched Harum Scarum the other day (it's listed as a movie so bad that it's "good"). At least Billy Barty was in it.

She thinks the "Colonel" was the devil incarnate. I tend to agree with you that his relationship with Elvis was more complex, that Elvis wasn't necessarily a "prisoner" without any say about movies, tours etc.

I'll definitely be watching this.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2018, 08:38:25 AM »

Even watched Harum Scarum the other day (it's listed as a movie so bad that it's "good").

I'd call it just bad.  Grin
But I like the song "So close, yet so far". And the soundtrack - as bad as the songs are - is a very good production.

She thinks the "Colonel" was the devil incarnate. I tend to agree with you that his relationship with Elvis was more complex, that Elvis wasn't necessarily a "prisoner" without any say about movies, tours etc.

I'll definitely be watching this.

Elvis was certainly smart enough to know about his situation. The Colonel worked for him and not the other way around. The last article I posted seems to get it better. In the end it was Elvis' decision what to do and what not to do. That of course doesn't mean that everything Colonel Parker did was the right thing. But many fans can't bring themselves to acknowledge that Elvis himself is also to blame for some shortcomings.

I hope you let us know what you think. I have to wait to get it online somewhere because it's not broadcasted in Germany. Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:39:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2018, 12:57:10 AM »

Tonight the documentary will air on HBO!

Here is a new promo uploaded by HBO:

HBO Documentary Film "Elvis Presley: The Searcher" Promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxMsuQShHk

Bruce Springsteen's Twitter account also posted a short clip from the movie:

https://twitter.com/springsteen/status/984822493285318657

And here's a discussion about the movie between two people:

Review: HBO’s “Elvis Presley: The Searcher” restores the lost luster to his musical legacy

http://artsatl.com/review-hbos-elvis-presley-searcher-restores-lost-luster-musical-legacy/

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:47:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2018, 03:47:55 AM »

‘Elvis Presley: The Searcher’ is a beautiful way to rediscover the man who became King

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/elvis-presley-the-searcher-is-a-beautiful-way-to-rediscover-the-man-who-became-king/2018/04/13/cdd2835a-3dcd-11e8-974f-aacd97698cef_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.10a8916ed258

Listen to Tom Petty talk about Elvis Presley for a new HBO documentary

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-elvis-presley-tom-petty-audio-clips-20180413-story.html

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx