gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
625412 Posts in 25129 Topics by 3574 Members - Latest Member: Saxapahaw January 22, 2018, 02:07:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley - HBO documentary April 14th + O.S.T.  (Read 3983 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2018, 02:20:37 AM »

A user on the FECC messageboard posted this about the new HBO documentary:

HBO has included a brief (very brief) glimpse of the new 4 hour - 2 part film to be shown sometime in 2018. Current view is in a compilation of coming in 2018 announcements on the network. Clip shows a black leather clad Elvis during a sit down show segment.

Title is THE SEARCHER

Said trailer is here to be seen:

https://visiondelcine.com/hbo-presenta-avance-las-series-peliculas-del-2018/

The Elvis part is at ca. 1:06 mins.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:01:45 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »

2018 Preview: Priscilla Presley Opens Up About Elvis' Ambition and Upcoming HBO Documentary

When HBO premieres Elvis Presley: The Searcher this spring, fans of the King will get an unprecedentedly deep look at his life and music, from his first forays into Memphis blues clubs to his early stardom, up through his late ’60s comeback and exhausting ’70s touring. The nearly three-and-a-half-hour-long, two-part documentary (which will also get a soundtrack released through Sony/Legacy) features new interviews with scholars, stars like Bruce Springsteen and the late Tom Petty, and -- most notably -- Priscilla Presley, who famously met the superstar when she was 14 and was married to him from 1967 to 1973.

While the film downplays the tawdrier aspects of Presley’s epic American tale, instead zeroing in on his musical evolution (though it does touch on his drug use and his relationship to famously controlling manager Colonel Tom Parker), it offers a different kind of intimacy, thanks in part to the over seven hours of personal reflections Priscilla Presley offered. “I realized she hadn't had these kinds of questions thrown at her before,” says director Thom Zimny. “And she was excited to share the details of Elvis the artist.” Presley, 72, spoke to Billboard about making what she calls “the definitive story of Elvis and his music.”

In the film, you share a great deal about Elvis that you never have before.
​People know about his generosity, about his love of his mother, but he didn't have the peers he should have had. It would have been great to sit around with the guys and talk about, “My gosh, do you ever get nervous onstage? Do you miss your wife? Do you ever forget your lines?” He didn't have that.

You were so young when you met Elvis. Were your parents concerned?
Our relationship was too big for my parents; they didn't understand it. He courted me for two years before he asked me to join him in Graceland. It was two years begging my dad, until finally I told my parents, “You’re ruining my life; you have to let me go.”

Colonel Parker hangs over the film like an avenging angel.
[Elvis] was so grateful Colonel Parker took him where he wanted to go. The hardest thing was realizing that Parker was a great promoter but didn't know anything about music, or about his subject, Elvis Presley.

The film ends with Bobby Kennedy’s death and Elvis’ extraordinary rendition of “If I Can Dream” from his comeback special in 1968. What were Elvis’ politics?
Elvis was for peace. He didn't understand this whole thing with Vietnam. But he didn't get involved in politics. It was the one thing you didn't do: an entertainer was to entertain.

Elvis didn't live long enough to see your acting career. Were you sad that he didn't get to watch your films?
To be honest, Elvis wouldn't have wanted me to be in them. I don’t think he would have wanted to share [me] with anyone.

Being separated and watching him basically work himself to death -- was that painful to see again?
No. Even though we were divorced, we remained very close. We had long conversations at night. He wanted to perform, to get out. He had nervous energy. In fact, he wanted to go all over the world. He wanted to explore.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8092590/priscilla-presley-elvis-hbo-documentary-interview-2018-preview
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:06:18 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:58 AM »

Priscilla Presley (Executive Producer), David Porter (legendary Memphis music writer and producer) Thom Zimny (Director), Jon Landau (Producer), and moderator John Jackson (SVP A&R, Sony Music) will discuss the three-hour, two-film presentation of Elvis Presley as the musical artist which will premiere on HBO on April 14, 2018. The films take the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions.

Source:
https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/events/PP97393
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:06:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 05:41:21 AM »

Thanks for all this info.
One of my sisters is gaga over Elvis and I will let her know the date for that HBO documentary.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Someone...handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known." - Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize Speech.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »

Thanks for all this info.
One of my sisters is gaga over Elvis and I will let her know the date for that HBO documentary.

My pleasure. Be sure to check this thread for more info as it comes along.
As you might have seen, hopes are high that this will be finally one good and serious documentary about Elvis that focuses on his work. Can't wait for the trailer

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »

ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER, COMPREHENSIVE DOCUMENTARY EXPLORING HIS CREATIVE JOURNEY, DEBUTS APRIL 14
Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready Composed Original Score

RCA/Legacy Recordings Releases Musical Companion To Documentary April 6

The HBO documentary ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER debuts SATURDAY, APRIL 14 (8:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO.

This three-hour, two-film presentation focuses on Elvis Presley the musical artist, taking the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions. The films include stunning atmospheric shots taken inside Graceland, Elvis’ iconic home, and feature more than 20 new, primary source interviews with session players, producers, engineers, directors and other artists who knew him or who were profoundly influenced by him. The documentary also features never-before-seen photos and footage from private collections worldwide, and includes an original musical score composed by Pearl Jam lead guitarist Mike McCready.

As previously announced by SXSW, Priscilla Presley, David Porter (legendary Memphis music writer and producer), Thom Zimny (director), Jon Landau (producer) and moderator John Jackson (SVP A&R, Sony Music) will discuss the film, the cultural impact of Elvis’ music and how that impact became the embodiment of rock’n’roll at the 2018 SXSW Festival in March. The panel is expected to cover:

• how Elvis found inspiration in black and white gospel music of Tupelo
• his early experience with the great African-American blues and r’n’b of Memphis
• his evolution as an artist with Sam Phillips
• the creative impact of his time serving in the U.S. Army in Germany
• the creative highs and lows of his career in the 1960s, culminating in the triumphant ’68 special
• an assessment of Elvis as a performing artist in the early ’70s, featuring a discussion of Jon Landau‘s seminal 1971 review of Elvis in concert
• a discussion of the interviews conducted for the film, including insights into the conversations with Scotty Moore, Red West, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty, among others
• insight into the creation of the film’s score by Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready
• an inquiry into the artistic and personal struggles that preceded his death in 1977

RCA/Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release “Elvis Presley: The Searcher”, the musical companion to the HBO/Sony Pictures documentary, on Friday, April 6. It will be available in digital and physical configurations.

ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER is an HBO Documentary Films Presentation in association with Sony Pictures Television; executive producers, Glen Zipper, Priscilla Presley, Jerry Schilling, Andrew Solt, Alan Gasmer and Jamie Salter (chairman and CEO, Authentic Brands Group); producers, Jon Landau and Kary Antholis; directed and produced by Thom Zimny.

Source: https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/elvis-presley-the-searcher-debuts-april-14-on-hbo-e9e1e00b95e2

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 06:24:37 AM »

The official Perl Jam site also updated it's content to let people know about Mike McCready's score to "The Searcher".

Mike McCready Scores 'Elvis Presley: The Searcher'

https://pearljam.com/news/mike-mccready-scores-elvis-presley-the-searcher

EDIT:

Saw this on the FECC messageboard. The independend "The King" movie (earlier titled "Promised land") will be shown at Sundance Film Festival:

Sundance: Oscilloscope Buys Elvis Presley Documentary ‘The King’

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sundance-oscilloscope-buys-elvis-presley-the-king-1202666985/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Oscilloscope Buys Eugene Jarecki’s ‘The King:’ Sundance Docu On Elvis Presley Demise Mirrors U.S. In Trump Age

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-king-elvis-presley-donald-trump-eugene-jarecki-sundance-film-festival-oscilloscope-1202244529/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:24:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx