gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:48:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 110527 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2018, 02:20:37 AM »

A user on the FECC messageboard posted this about the new HBO documentary:

HBO has included a brief (very brief) glimpse of the new 4 hour - 2 part film to be shown sometime in 2018. Current view is in a compilation of coming in 2018 announcements on the network. Clip shows a black leather clad Elvis during a sit down show segment.

Title is THE SEARCHER

Said trailer is here to be seen:

https://visiondelcine.com/hbo-presenta-avance-las-series-peliculas-del-2018/

The Elvis part is at ca. 1:06 mins.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:01:45 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »

2018 Preview: Priscilla Presley Opens Up About Elvis' Ambition and Upcoming HBO Documentary

When HBO premieres Elvis Presley: The Searcher this spring, fans of the King will get an unprecedentedly deep look at his life and music, from his first forays into Memphis blues clubs to his early stardom, up through his late ’60s comeback and exhausting ’70s touring. The nearly three-and-a-half-hour-long, two-part documentary (which will also get a soundtrack released through Sony/Legacy) features new interviews with scholars, stars like Bruce Springsteen and the late Tom Petty, and -- most notably -- Priscilla Presley, who famously met the superstar when she was 14 and was married to him from 1967 to 1973.

While the film downplays the tawdrier aspects of Presley’s epic American tale, instead zeroing in on his musical evolution (though it does touch on his drug use and his relationship to famously controlling manager Colonel Tom Parker), it offers a different kind of intimacy, thanks in part to the over seven hours of personal reflections Priscilla Presley offered. “I realized she hadn't had these kinds of questions thrown at her before,” says director Thom Zimny. “And she was excited to share the details of Elvis the artist.” Presley, 72, spoke to Billboard about making what she calls “the definitive story of Elvis and his music.”

In the film, you share a great deal about Elvis that you never have before.
​People know about his generosity, about his love of his mother, but he didn't have the peers he should have had. It would have been great to sit around with the guys and talk about, “My gosh, do you ever get nervous onstage? Do you miss your wife? Do you ever forget your lines?” He didn't have that.

You were so young when you met Elvis. Were your parents concerned?
Our relationship was too big for my parents; they didn't understand it. He courted me for two years before he asked me to join him in Graceland. It was two years begging my dad, until finally I told my parents, “You’re ruining my life; you have to let me go.”

Colonel Parker hangs over the film like an avenging angel.
[Elvis] was so grateful Colonel Parker took him where he wanted to go. The hardest thing was realizing that Parker was a great promoter but didn't know anything about music, or about his subject, Elvis Presley.

The film ends with Bobby Kennedy’s death and Elvis’ extraordinary rendition of “If I Can Dream” from his comeback special in 1968. What were Elvis’ politics?
Elvis was for peace. He didn't understand this whole thing with Vietnam. But he didn't get involved in politics. It was the one thing you didn't do: an entertainer was to entertain.

Elvis didn't live long enough to see your acting career. Were you sad that he didn't get to watch your films?
To be honest, Elvis wouldn't have wanted me to be in them. I don’t think he would have wanted to share [me] with anyone.

Being separated and watching him basically work himself to death -- was that painful to see again?
No. Even though we were divorced, we remained very close. We had long conversations at night. He wanted to perform, to get out. He had nervous energy. In fact, he wanted to go all over the world. He wanted to explore.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8092590/priscilla-presley-elvis-hbo-documentary-interview-2018-preview
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:06:18 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:58 AM »

Priscilla Presley (Executive Producer), David Porter (legendary Memphis music writer and producer) Thom Zimny (Director), Jon Landau (Producer), and moderator John Jackson (SVP A&R, Sony Music) will discuss the three-hour, two-film presentation of Elvis Presley as the musical artist which will premiere on HBO on April 14, 2018. The films take the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions.

Source:
https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/events/PP97393
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:06:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2018, 05:41:21 AM »

Thanks for all this info.
One of my sisters is gaga over Elvis and I will let her know the date for that HBO documentary.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »

Thanks for all this info.
One of my sisters is gaga over Elvis and I will let her know the date for that HBO documentary.

My pleasure. Be sure to check this thread for more info as it comes along.
As you might have seen, hopes are high that this will be finally one good and serious documentary about Elvis that focuses on his work. Can't wait for the trailer

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2018, 02:38:10 PM »

ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER, COMPREHENSIVE DOCUMENTARY EXPLORING HIS CREATIVE JOURNEY, DEBUTS APRIL 14
Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready Composed Original Score

RCA/Legacy Recordings Releases Musical Companion To Documentary April 6

The HBO documentary ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER debuts SATURDAY, APRIL 14 (8:00–11:00 p.m. ET/PT) on HBO.

This three-hour, two-film presentation focuses on Elvis Presley the musical artist, taking the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions. The films include stunning atmospheric shots taken inside Graceland, Elvis’ iconic home, and feature more than 20 new, primary source interviews with session players, producers, engineers, directors and other artists who knew him or who were profoundly influenced by him. The documentary also features never-before-seen photos and footage from private collections worldwide, and includes an original musical score composed by Pearl Jam lead guitarist Mike McCready.

As previously announced by SXSW, Priscilla Presley, David Porter (legendary Memphis music writer and producer), Thom Zimny (director), Jon Landau (producer) and moderator John Jackson (SVP A&R, Sony Music) will discuss the film, the cultural impact of Elvis’ music and how that impact became the embodiment of rock’n’roll at the 2018 SXSW Festival in March. The panel is expected to cover:

• how Elvis found inspiration in black and white gospel music of Tupelo
• his early experience with the great African-American blues and r’n’b of Memphis
• his evolution as an artist with Sam Phillips
• the creative impact of his time serving in the U.S. Army in Germany
• the creative highs and lows of his career in the 1960s, culminating in the triumphant ’68 special
• an assessment of Elvis as a performing artist in the early ’70s, featuring a discussion of Jon Landau‘s seminal 1971 review of Elvis in concert
• a discussion of the interviews conducted for the film, including insights into the conversations with Scotty Moore, Red West, Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty, among others
• insight into the creation of the film’s score by Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready
• an inquiry into the artistic and personal struggles that preceded his death in 1977

RCA/Legacy Recordings, a division of Sony Music Entertainment, will release “Elvis Presley: The Searcher”, the musical companion to the HBO/Sony Pictures documentary, on Friday, April 6. It will be available in digital and physical configurations.

ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER is an HBO Documentary Films Presentation in association with Sony Pictures Television; executive producers, Glen Zipper, Priscilla Presley, Jerry Schilling, Andrew Solt, Alan Gasmer and Jamie Salter (chairman and CEO, Authentic Brands Group); producers, Jon Landau and Kary Antholis; directed and produced by Thom Zimny.

Source: https://medium.com/hbo-cinemax-pr/elvis-presley-the-searcher-debuts-april-14-on-hbo-e9e1e00b95e2

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 06:24:37 AM »

The official Perl Jam site also updated it's content to let people know about Mike McCready's score to "The Searcher".

Mike McCready Scores 'Elvis Presley: The Searcher'

https://pearljam.com/news/mike-mccready-scores-elvis-presley-the-searcher

EDIT:

Saw this on the FECC messageboard. The independend "The King" movie (earlier titled "Promised land") will be shown at Sundance Film Festival:

Sundance: Oscilloscope Buys Elvis Presley Documentary ‘The King’

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/sundance-oscilloscope-buys-elvis-presley-the-king-1202666985/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Oscilloscope Buys Eugene Jarecki’s ‘The King:’ Sundance Docu On Elvis Presley Demise Mirrors U.S. In Trump Age

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-king-elvis-presley-donald-trump-eugene-jarecki-sundance-film-festival-oscilloscope-1202244529/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:24:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2018, 04:34:49 AM »

This seems to be the tracklist for the soundtrack's vinyl version

Trouble / guitar man
    My baby left me
    That's all right
    Baby let's play house
    Heartbreak hotel
    Lawdy, miss clawdy
    Hound dog
    Crawfish
    Mona lisa
    Milky white way

Like a baby
    Are you lonesome tonight?
    It's now or never
    Tomorrow is a long time
    Suspicious minds (take 6)
    Separate ways (rehearsal version)
    Hurt (take 5)
    If i can dream

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/elvis-presley-searcher/hnum/8110780

My Baby Left Me, Crawfish, Baby Let's Play House, Like A Baby.... some of my very favorite Presley recordings. Although all in all it leaves a lot of room, this should be a nice listen.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:09:41 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »

HBO released a trailer for their movie about Andre The Giant, which will premiere on April 10th. 4 days before "The Searcher" will be shown. So hopefully we'll get a trailer for the Presley documentary soon as well.

Here's the trailer for Andre The Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_jTeuajas0

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2018, 02:46:54 AM »

It looks like the cover for the soundtrack will be the same as the picture above for the promo.

https://www.standaardboekhandel.be/seo/nl/cds/rock-roll/0190758326917/elvis-presley/searcher

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2018, 01:14:04 AM »

Goodnes, gracious, here's the full 3-disc soundtrack, including a 40 page book!

The new multi-part documentary Elvis Presley: The Searcher, directed by Thom Zimny and airing on HBO on April 14, pushes past the larger-than-life image of The King of Rock and Roll, portraying him instead as a man and an artist "who wanted to heal, to find that thing that was always felt to be missing, and to do it through the music."

The 3CD deluxe edition box set offers an expanded 55-track overview of Elvis' career as heard in the film including familiar hit recordings ("Heartbreak Hotel," "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"), powerful vocal performances ("That's All Right," "Tomorrow Is a Long Time," "Trouble/Guitar Man") and rare outtakes ("Suspicious Minds," "Separate Ways"), plus a bonus disc of additional recordings relevant to the film-including singles that inspired Presley (Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup's original version of "That's All Right," Odetta's gospel version of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow is a Long Time") and two original instrumental pieces composed for the documentary by Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready.

Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) [Deluxe] includes a 40-page book of photos, liner notes by Warren Zanes, and a producers note from film director Thom Zimny.

Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) is also available on 2LP.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079BF4GDT/sr=8-2/qid=1517987970/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1517987970&sr=8-2

Disk 1 von 3

Trouble / guitar man
    My baby left me
    Baby, what you want me to do
    Old shep
    That's when your heartaches begin
    That's all right
    Blue moon of kentucky
    Fool, fool, fool
    Tweedlee dee
    Baby let's play house
    Good rockin' tonight
    Trying to get to you
    Blue moon
    When it rains it pours
    Blue christmas
    Heartbreak hotel
    Lawdy, miss clawdy
    Money honey
    Hound dog
    (there'll be) peace in the valley (for me)
    Crawfish
    Trouble
    Farther along
    Mona lisa
    Hide thou me
    Loving you (end title take 16)
    Lonely man (solo version)
    Power of my love

Disk 2 von 3

Milky white way
    A mess of blues
    Fame and fortune
    Love me tender / witchcraft (duet with frank sinatra)
    Like a baby
    Are you lonesome tonight?
    It's now or never
    Wooden heart
    Swing down sweet chariot
    Reconsider baby
    Bossa nova baby
    C'mon everybody
    Tomorrow is a long time
    Take my hand, precious lord
    Run on
    Baby what you want me to do
    Suspicious minds (take 6)
    Baby let's play house (rehearsal)
    Words (rehearsal)
    That's all right
    Never been to spain
    An american trilogy
    You gave me a mountain
    Burning love (rehearsal version)
    Separate ways (rehearsal version)
    Hurt (take 5)
    If i can dream

Disk 3 von 3

Mike mccready - dissolution 2
    The blackwood brothers - satisfied
    Arthur "big boy" crudup - that's all right
    Joe hill louis - she may be yours but she comes to see me so
    Little junior's blue flames - mystery train
    Howlin' wolf - smokestack lightning
    The blackwood brothers - rock-a-my soul
    The prisonaires - just walkin' in the rain
    Jackie brenston and his delta cats - rocket 88
    The ravens - write me a letter
    Bill monroe - blue moon of kentucky
    Eddie snow - ain't that right
    Johnnie ray - just walkin' in the rain
    Lloyd price - lawdy miss clawdy
    Gladys presley - home sweet home
    Odetta - blowin' in the wind
    Odetta - tomorrow is a long time
    The staple singers - the weight
    The orlons - heartbreak hotel
    Tom petty and the heartbreakers - wooden heart
    Mike mccready - rebound

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/elvis-presley-searcher-box-set/hnum/8117516

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2018, 05:46:07 AM »

Here are a couple more pictures and links.

2-disc LP version

https://www.shopelvis.com/product/EPLP75/elvis-presley-the-searcher-the-original-soundtrack-2disc-lp?cp=796_16330

Deluxe 3-disc CD version

https://www.shopelvis.com/product/EPCD304/elvis-presley-the-searcher-the-original-soundtrack-deluxe-3disc-cd?cp=796_16330

O.S.T. CD

https://www.shopelvis.com/product/EPCD303/elvis-presley-the-searcher-the-original-soundtrack-cd?cp=796_16330

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 08:01:38 AM »

And yet here's even more:

Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, and RCA Records will release Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) on Friday, April 6.

The musical companion to the two-part documentary directed by Emmy® and Grammy® award winner Thom Zimny, Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) will be available in digital and physical configurations including an 18-track definitive soundtrack, a 2LP gatefold 12″ vinyl edition and a 3CD collectible deluxe box set.

Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) includes the 18 essential Elvis Presley hits, powerful performances, and rare alternative versions of songs at the musical core of the groundbreaking three-hour two-part film which focuses on the development of Elvis’ spellbinding artistry, from his early blues and country roots and influences through his seismic contributions to popular culture to his 1976 recording sessions at the Jungle Room in Graceland. The two-part documentary film, which will premiere in the United States on HBO on April 14, 2018, uses rare footage lensed throughout Elvis’ life and career as a means of exploring Elvis’ singular musical vision in all its complexity.

The 3CD deluxe box set features 37 additional Elvis cuts plus a special disc featuring selections from Mike McCready’s (Pearl Jam) original score for “Elvis Presley: The Searcher”; Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers performing “Wooden Heart”; and the music that inspired Elvis (including R&B and country classics and “Home Sweet Home” sung by his mother, Gladys Presley). The Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack) deluxe 3CD set includes a 40-page hardcover book featuring rare photography, liner notes by Warren Zanes, and a director’s note by Thom Zimny.

In his package notes for Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack), director Thom Zimny writes, “the soundtrack was in my mind from the beginning. I wasn’t just making a film, I was thinking about the collection of recordings I would gather for a person who saw the film, who wanted to complete the experience, just as I always had. Thankfully, our friends at Sony gave me and the Searcher team the chance to create this collection. It’s been in my mind for years now. To me, this collection is part of the film.”

“So, in this collection, one gets not a Greatest Hits package but a song-by-song, curated portrait of an artist,” writes Warren Zanes in the book featured in Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack [Deluxe Box Set]), “….an artist who very consistently and courageously gave himself to his performances, as if in the giving he might find some missing part of himself. The truth in his voice, in the end, was the sound of a searcher. Along the way, he built a catalogue as deep as any found in the broad and beautiful vistas of American music.”

As Bruce Springsteen observes in the documentary, Elvis Presley belonged to a singular category of musicians in the pantheon. “You hear performers in the thrall of the beauty of invention, not knowing quite where they’re going to go, not knowing exactly what they’re doing,” Springsteen said. “Just discovering and doing it literally as the music is being played…. You’re out on the frontier and it’s a very pristine and exciting place to be.”

“You know, God bless him,” said Tom Petty. “He was a light for all of us. We all owe him for going first into battle. He had no road map and he forged a path of what to do and what not to do. And we shouldn’t make the mistake of writing off a great artist because of all the clatter that came later. We should dwell in what he did that was so beautiful and everlasting, which was that great, great music.”

http://elvisthemusic.com/elvis-presley-searcher-original-soundtrack-released-april-6/

Elvis Doc 'The Searcher' Pulls Hits, Rarities for Soundtrack
Deluxe edition will feature selections from original score composed by Pearl Jam's Mike McCready

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/elvis-doc-the-searcher-pulls-hits-rarities-for-soundtrack-w516443

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »

"The Searcher" will premier at SXSW this year as reported. Here's a little more info:

The film takes the audience on a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood in Tupelo, Mississippi - where he absorbed the inspirations of black and white gospel music - through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions at his iconic Graceland home in Memphis. It includes stunning atmospherics shot inside and around Graceland and features new interviews with session players, producers, engineers, directors and other artists who knew him or who were profoundly influenced by him including Priscilla Presley, Emmylou Harris, Robbie Robertson, Bruce Springsteen, Stax Records Producer David Porter and, in interviews conducted before their passing, Scotty Moore, Red West and Tom Petty.

[Programming descriptions are generated by participants and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of SXSW.]

The first part will be 109 mins, the second 98 mins.

https://schedule.sxsw.com/2018/films/96922

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2018, 11:26:03 AM »

The trailer is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLpCVGgabA
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:33:12 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »

Billboard also reports:

Watch the Trailer for HBO's 'Elvis: The Searcher' Documentary

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8221823/trailer-hbo-elvis-the-searcher-documentary

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »

Mike McCready tweeted this:

Was an honour to score the @ElvisPresley film The Searcher. Thank you Thomas Zimmy for trusting me with such an important project. I love the different stories that created an even bigger picture of Elvis' genious (sic!). Thanks also to Priscilla & Lisa Marie.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:31:41 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2018, 05:40:25 AM »

As you know, Record Store Day is not far away. There will be a fabulous Presley release. If it is what it promises, this is a good way to start your Elvis collection.

Elvis Presley, The King In The Ring (2LP – Individually Numbered – Red Vinyl – First Time on Vinyl)

Elvis Presley re-established himself as The King of Rock and Roll with ELVIS, the widely-seen “comeback special” broadcast on NBC at the end of 1968. The show’s many highlights included laid-back live performances recorded in the round before a small audience and featuring a powerful ensemble—including guitarist Scotty Moore and drummer D.J. Fontana, both part of Elvis’ original, classic backing band. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of ELVIS, both electrifying, intimate “sit-down” sets will be released on vinyl for the first time in an individually numbered 2LP package with a newly created gatefold sleeve, pressed on red vinyl. The history of Presley’s amazing “comeback special” is told in Elvis Presley: The Searcher, the new documentary premiering April 14 on HBO.

http://www.elvisthemusic.com/elvis-presley-king-in-the-ring-2lp-released-record-store-day/

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2018, 05:34:35 AM »

HBO Documentary Elvis: The Searcher Debuts at SXSW
New archival footage of the king, the musician, the man behind the music

Elvis: The Searcher offers a fresh look at one of the most famous musicians in history, with a dedicated focus on the man as a working musician, not just the caricature that time and fame has drawn. “This is really, I think, the definitive documentary about the artist, the man behind the music,” says Priscilla Presley, former wife of the late superstar. Divided into two films, the three hours of archival footage, photo stills, and narration reveal a rare intimate glimpse of Elvis, almost like stepping inside of his private photo albums.

“My heart goes out to him,” she said. “[This film] humanizes him so much. ... He’s known for rock & roll. He’s known for the stigma of the ‘ultimate man’ – the good looks, the whole package. And here you see the vulnerability, what he went through, and his ups and downs.” Presley, executive producer of the film, continued: “I don’t want to focus on the drugs because that’s part of rock & roll, first of all, and I hate to say it. I don’t want to take anything away from the creativeness of who he was. He was a genius. ... His management [just saw] him as a moneymaker.”

Austin, a musical city where Priscilla has roots, is seemingly the perfect place to premiere a film about a working musician. (She was living on Bergstrom Air Force Base when her father got his orders to move to Germany in 1959. She met Elvis about three weeks later.) “Austin and Nashville are the places to go for musicians to really congregate and talk about music – truly the capital of the music industry right now,” she said. “People think that Elvis was an overnight success. He was not. He worked hard. He was doing malls, highs schools, colleges, little places out in the boonies. ... It’s true: He was a struggling artist.”

According to director Thom Zimny, “Elvis got in the car with a bass on top and traveled on the road; he learned his craft playing one-night stands.” That thinking was why executive producer Glen Zipper convinced him to premiere the film at SXSW, “and I think he was right. It really is a reflection of a lot of the energy in the movie, and of the love for music, and for the South, in the film. ... When I was thinking about the Elvis story, that was the key: to keep discussing the music and not fall into some sort of examination of his lifestyle, to really to look at history differently. What were the influences on Elvis? Who were the people surrounding Elvis as a child that helped develop that sound?”

With “absolute carte blanche” access to the archives, including thousands of stills and over 6,000 digital recordings, Zimny digs deep into the personal musical history of Elvis. The second film even includes a previously undiscovered recording – “a really haunting vocal” – of Elvis’ mother Gladys singing. Zimny said, “I was chasing those [lost] details because it paints a much more complex, layered vision of Elvis than had been out there before. [Priscilla] gave me a side of him that I hadn’t seen in other books or films. got to hear about his frustrations with his career, and also just his frustrations as a person who loved music, and the destructive force of making those films.”

“I think if there’s any tragedy in the two films it’s to realize that Elvis as an artist was held back,” added Zimny.

To anchor the films stylistically, Zimny decided not to include any visuals of the interviews, instead focusing exclusively on the archival footage and photos, with voiceover narration peppered throughout. “I came into filmmaking as an editor and worked on many documentaries. There have been moments where I just dealt with voice – and the rhythm of voice – and with the Elvis film it was really important that I lived in the space that Elvis occupied. ... I felt that the idea of seeing someone talk in a chair would ground you to a contemporary vision of the film taking place. I wanted the film to feel like a dream where you were going back into time seeing Elvis in Super-8 home movies, seeing the space of Graceland as a character, and hearing these voices – the voice of Elvis or the voices of people who spent time with him. I wanted the voices to have this musical feel, and I wanted to be able to play with images and ideas against the soundtrack.”

Elvis: The Searcher explores far more than his greatest hits. Little-known recordings and performances, as well as Elvis’ gospel roots, are highlighted, and interviews with Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, and industry giants such as Jon Landau and David Porter shed light on his other critical influences. “You also get a real concept of his life on Beale Street. He got his style and his look going down that street,” said Presley. “Elvis already knew very early on that he was unique. He was very different and as a young child he knew something big was going to happen to him – never in his wildest dreams as big as he got – but he definitely wasn’t your normal teenage boy. He never was so complicated, or trying to position himself for what he was set out to be. That was just who he was. He loved style. He loved the music.”

A lifelong Memphian, Porter watched Elvis transform from just a kid hanging around the Beale Street clubs to a major talent who explored the influences of black artists while still maintaining his own style. The legendary songwriter and producer, formerly in charge of A & R (artists and repertoire) at Stax Records (Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes, the Staple Singers), said, “Elvis was amazing – not at trying to make anyone think he could dance like Jackie Wilson – but he had that animation and that movement that gave him an individual identity that was just as impactful as it was to watch Jackie Wilson dance at the Flamingo. It just speaks to the visionary parts of his creative mind.

“There are no new emotions, so when a person has the ability to find an impactful way to [affect] people’s emotions, based on how they are creatively able to do that, that’s a stroke of genius, a stroke of creativeness that’s hard to find,” added Porter. “I think true artists find things about themselves that amplify their credibility, and not every artist has the intellect to seek things in their inner core to do that. But when you find ones that are able to do that, they become the greats, like Michael Jackson, like James Brown, like Elvis Presley.”

https://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2018-03-09/hbo-documentary-elvis-the-searcher-debuts-at-sxsw/

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2018, 06:32:46 AM »

As you know, Record Store Day is not far away. There will be a fabulous Presley release. If it is what it promises, this is a good way to start your Elvis collection.

Elvis Presley, The King In The Ring (2LP – Individually Numbered – Red Vinyl – First Time on Vinyl)

Elvis Presley re-established himself as The King of Rock and Roll with ELVIS, the widely-seen “comeback special” broadcast on NBC at the end of 1968. The show’s many highlights included laid-back live performances recorded in the round before a small audience and featuring a powerful ensemble—including guitarist Scotty Moore and drummer D.J. Fontana, both part of Elvis’ original, classic backing band. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of ELVIS, both electrifying, intimate “sit-down” sets will be released on vinyl for the first time in an individually numbered 2LP package with a newly created gatefold sleeve, pressed on red vinyl. The history of Presley’s amazing “comeback special” is told in Elvis Presley: The Searcher, the new documentary premiering April 14 on HBO.

http://www.elvisthemusic.com/elvis-presley-king-in-the-ring-2lp-released-record-store-day/

Rocker, I can't wait for this album.  I just wonder if there's a mistake in the 'article.'  How can they fit both shows on 2 LP's?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »

I don't know. Maybe they cut off some parts of the dialogues? Wouldn't hurt the listening experience too much.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:50 AM »

You can see the interview with Priscilla Presley and Thom Zimny at SXSW here:

https://www.livelist.com/shows/interview-with-elvis-presley-the-searcher-director-thom-zimny-and-priscilla-presley
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:23:39 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2018, 04:47:50 AM »

Priscilla Presley Presents Documentary on Elvis at SXSW

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/priscilla-presley-presents-documentary-on-elvis-at-sxsw/1045667513

'It takes you on a journey': Priscilla Presley unveils new Elvis documentary during appearance at South by Southwest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5503285/Priscilla-Presley-unveils-new-Elvis-documentary-SXSW.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »

An Inside Look w/ Director Thom Thom Zimny & More | Elvis Presley: The Searcher | HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9CqvE30Rc

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2018, 02:05:11 AM »

Priscilla Presley: Revisiting Elvis' Final Days, Drug Abuse in New Documentary Was 'Difficult'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/priscilla-presley-revisiting-elvis-final-days-drug-abuse-in-new-documentary-was-difficult/ar-BBKgZ6s?li=BBnb7Kz#image=BBhwHhI|4

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx