gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:36:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 110538 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 01:54:13 AM »

Well, it's August 16th. The 40th anniversary of Presley's death. Here's some music to get dirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJWZeCIHydE

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 02:05:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 02:35:36 AM »

Nice one, Rocker. I remember that day well----total shock!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 02:54:32 AM »

Yes, it's one of those events in which I remember where I was at the time. While leaving my college campus in the late afternoon, as I was about to turn right onto the city street, the news came over the car radio.

RIP

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »

I wasn't even born at that time.  angel

There are of course a lot of happenings in this week. At one event Priscilla Presley talked about the upcoming HBO special and a short clip was shown. her's what a member of the FECC forum posted about that:

The clip shown offered little in new footage as it covered a little slice of the SUN Records era...thou some of the clips were longer...included were interview segments from Sam Phillips and Scotty Moore.... ( from what's believed to be his last interview before his passing ) ...the interviewees are not shown as they speak but photos of ELVIS - many rare - were shown.

The sound was incredible...and the two films now run an hour and forty minutes each so it looks like it's been expanded some 20 minutes.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »

So much Elvis, so little time...
While running some errands in the morning I listened to the Sun Sessions CD, then to a bit on the satellite Elvis channel. No music, it was a "town hall" meeting
Then back home, my sister stopped by and we listened to some of A Boy From Tupelo, available on Amazon Music.
Then watched a couple of Elvis shows on a cable channel, including one on Did Elvis Die in 1977? After a big buildup, the host said, 'Yeah."
My Mom's microwave died, so I went out to get a replacement. The Elvis channel was playing deep cuts from his early albums.
Then watched Elvis:That's The Way It Is on one of the TV channels.
Am taping a show coming on later tonight that's about Elvis' first RCA album.
Will settle down, listen to an Elvis gospel album, then go to bed.

PS. I've read Part I of Guralnick's bio of Elvis twice. Has anyone read Part II? If so is it any good?

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:47 AM »

PS. I've read Part I of Guralnick's bio of Elvis twice. Has anyone read Part II? If so is it any good?

Oh sure! It's not as in depth as the first one, because it spans a wider range of years. But it's definitely worth reading.

Elvis Presley: His 10 Best Country Songs
On the 40th anniversary of his death, we look at the immortal vocalist's interpretations of songs by Hank Williams, Ray Price and more

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/lists/elvis-presley-his-10-best-country-songs-w497827

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 09:59:46 AM »

In my opinion the two guaralnick books are the best biography of any entertainer ever written. They are fair to the man while presenting all his faults as well as his triumphs. Really if you have those two and Ernst Jorgensen's book about Elvis recording sessions then you don't need any other books.  They keep coming out anyway but they are redundant . Guralnick also wrote a great book about Sam cooke, that is well worth reading if you like him.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »

In my opinion the two guaralnick books are the best biography of any entertainer ever written. They are fair to the man while presenting all his faults as well as his triumphs. Really if you have those two and Ernst Jorgensen's book about Elvis recording sessions then you don't need any other books.  They keep coming out anyway but they are redundant . Guralnick also wrote a great book about Sam cooke, that is well worth reading if you like him.

Not to forget his book on Sam Phillips (which I still haven't gotten to read yet  Sad )

Interview with Ernst Jorgensen:

Elvis Presley’s Archivist on the Heartbreak of Tapes Trashed by RCA, Scouring the South for Lost Recordings

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/elvis-presley-archivist-ernst-jorgensen-interview-1202529943/

Elvis’s death was a perfect example: The media doesn’t understand Middle America

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/elviss-death-was-a-perfect-example-the-media-doesnt-understand-middle-america/2017/08/15/2012d268-8123-11e7-b359-15a3617c767b_story.html?tid=ss_fb-bottom&utm_term=.3179d597daad

Edit:

Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood interview | Tribute Elvis Presley 40th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7RyZCb0qXc
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:48:36 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »

Rocker and Ian, thanks for letting me know about the second half of the Elvis bio. Will add it to my reading list.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2017, 08:52:25 AM »

This was posted on the FECC forum:

From Backstreets website;

GRACELAND INSIDERS GET FIRST TASTE OF ZIMNY & LANDAU'S ELVIS DOC

Thom Zimny's HBO documentary Elvis Presley: The Searcher isn't coming until next year, but in Memphis this week — the 40th anniversary of Presley's death — a small group got a sneak peak. At Monday's Official Graceland Insiders Conference, part of Elvis Week 2017, director/producer Zimny took the stage along with executive producers Jerry Schilling and Priscilla Presley to present a clip from the three-hour, two-film doc and reveal more about this project he's been working on with producer Jon Landau (Bruce Springsteen's manager)

Based on Thom's remarks, and as is evident in the sneak preview, the doc will be focused squarely on Elvis' music, his legacy as an artist and musician. No kitsch. Graceland granted Zimny access to rare footage, documents, and stills; he also worked with collectors to include additional photos, Super-8 and other never-before-seen footage. Noting what a "great experience" it was to work closely with Landau again, Thom spoke of conducting more than 50 interviews for the project, with subjects including Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Robbie Robertson, and Emmylou Harris.

The preview Zimny showed is the first time any of the documentary has been seen outside production, and the surprised crowd ate it up. Springsteen's voice could be heard in the clip — discussing Presley as a musical pioneer, "out on the frontier" — over footage ranging from Sun Studios to the '68 Comeback Special; Scotty Moore also spoke, from the last interview he gave before his death. These were voiceovers rather than talking heads, however, as Zimny kept the visuals sourced purely from the archival materials he's gathered — based on our eyes in the room, a decision that's effective and refreshing.

Set for 2018, Elvis Presley: The Searcher is an HBO Documentary Films Presentation in association with Sony Pictures and will be, as ElvisPresley.Newsreports, "a comprehensive creative journey from his childhood through the final 1976 Jungle Room recording sessions."
- August 17, 2017

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »

This article about Bruce Springsteen and Elvis' death was linked to on the FECC forum.

40 YEARS AGO TODAY: "YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO DIE"
On this date in 1977, Elvis Presley died far too young at 42. His death did nothing, of course, to stop his enormous and enduring cultural significance, influence and meaning. It was, however, the final, tragic result of an unnecessary decline — a process that enabled Presley to deny himself a long, rewarding life. It also denied his worldwide multigenerational audience many more years of great music and performances.

On the day that the sad news reverberated around the planet, Bruce Springsteen was in New Jersey. He was scheduled to leave the next day for a photo-shoot journey through the Utah and Nevada deserts with photographer Eric Meola.

Certainly Meola, who shot the 1975 Born to Run album cover featuring Springsteen sporting a Presley fan-club button on his guitar strap, already knew what a major Elvis fan Bruce was. Therefore it wasn't surprising that, as Meola recently related to us, Springsteen seriously considered not making the trip in the wake of Presley's death. Fortunately, Eric helped to persuade Bruce to go anyway, resulting in some of the most iconic and beautiful Springsteen photographs ever taken. Check out Meola's recent Facebook essay about how their time in the desert also led to Springsteen's creation of "The Promised Land," a song deeply connected to Chuck Berry's classic "Promised Land." In the mid-1970s Elvis covered Berry's "Promised Land;" it is one of Presley's greatest later records.

While Meola and Springsteen were out west, writer Dave Marsh contacted Springsteen by telephone to get his comments on Elvis' passing for Rolling Stone's special memorial issue. "I could not imagine that guy dying," Springsteen, then in his late 20s, told Marsh. "He was so incredibly important to me, to go on and do what I want to do. When I heard the news it was like somebody took a piece out of me. He was not primitive, like people think. He was an artist and he was into being an artist. Of course, he was also into rockin' his ass, but that was part of it. Onstage, he encompassed everything — he was laughing at the world, and he was laughing at himself, but at the same time, he was dead serious. To me, he was as big as the whole country itself, as big as the whole dream. He just embodied the essence of it, and he was in mortal combat with the thing. It was horrible and, at the same time, it was fantastic."

Within a month or so of Presley's passing Meola also shot some stunning photos of Bruce wearing a t-shirt with an Elvis image on it, while Springsteen rode his motorcycle near his home in Holmdel, NJ. Backstreets is honored that Eric Meola has allowed us to share these untouched photographs on this special anniversary date.

The shirt Bruce wore in these photos actually was a souvenir from the first location of the legendary Providence, RI rock club Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, incorporating imagery from the 1956 picture sleeve for Elvis' Heartbreak Hotel EP. Click here and here to see images of punk rock legends Johnny Ramone and Joe Strummer also sporting Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel shirts. (Some additional photos of Strummer wearing his Lupo's shirt can be found here and here.)

Over the four decades following Elvis's death, Springsteen often has commented publicly about it. Onstage talk about "how it was that somebody who seemed like such a big winner could lose so bad in the end" occurred frequently during Bruce's concerts in the 1980s. Eventually, he even released two recordings about the tragedy: "Come On (Let's Go Tonight)" (recorded shortly after Elvis' death and available on The Promise box set) and "Johnny Bye-Bye" (released B-side version recorded in 1983 and later available on the Tracks box set).

Just last year, Springsteen again offered his insight on Presley's early demise and so many others like it. This time, however, he did it from the perspective of a mature, lifelong artist approaching his 70s, writing in his autobiography Born to Run:

"The heart of rock will always remain a primal world of action. The music revives itself over and over again in that form, primitive rockabilly, punk, hard soul and early rap. Integrating the world of thought and reflection with the world of primitive action is not a necessary skill for making great rock 'n' roll. Many of the music's most glorious moments feel as though they were birthed in an explosion of raw talent and creative instinct (some of them even were!). But... if you want to burn bright, hard and long, you will need to depend upon more than your initial instincts. You will need to develop some craft and a creative intelligence that will lead you farther when things get dicey. That's what'll help you make crucial sense and powerful music as time passes, giving you the skills that may also keep you alive, creatively and physically... Now, some guys' five minutes are worth other guys' fifty years, and while burning out in one brilliant supernova will send record sales through the roof, leave you living fast, dying young, leaving a beautiful corpse, there is something to be said for living. Personally, I like my gods old, grizzled and here. I'll take Dylan; the pirate raiding party of the Stones; the hope-I-get-very-old-before-I-die, present live power of the Who; a fat, still-mesmerizing-until-his-death Brando — they all suit me over the alternative. I would've liked to have seen that last Michael Jackson show, a seventy-year-old Elvis reinventing and relishing in his talents, where Jimi Hendrix might've next taken the electric guitar, Keith Moon, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and all the others whose untimely deaths and lost talents stole something from the music I love, living on, enjoying the blessings of their gifts and their audience's regard. Aging is scary but fascinating, and great talent morphs in strange and often enlightening ways. Plus, to those you've received so much from, so much joy, knowledge and inspiration, you wish life, happiness and peace. These aren't easy to come by."

Amen, hallelujah and rest in peace, Elvis.
- August 16, 2017 - Shawn Poole reporting - photographs by Eric Meola

Source: http://www.backstreets.com/news.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »

Obviously there are a lot of TV news clips about the 40th anniversary on youtube. But as it is, most of them don't give too much info or interesting interviews and show mostly the freaky stuff. So here are a couple of clips that for one reason or another (maybe just because they feature nice clips of old Elvis performances) that I found. I won't look through many more because I nearly have to throw up when I see that crazy sh!t.

America Remembers Elvis 40 Years After His Tragic Death

CBS Chicago - Mike Stoller is interviewed shortly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksxWlcKvXo

Fans mark 40 years since death of Elvis Presley

Al Jazeera English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R79dN55TjN4

How Elvis' family, fellow artists and fans remember The King | ABC News

ABC News - Guralnick a.o. get to talk a little

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__NwcPi1I8

Priscilla Presley remembers Elvis | Untold story behind the legend

TORYmax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdFIUOcZRo
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:58:23 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »

Goldmine magazine

Elvis Presley legacy explored in the September 2017 issue

http://www.goldminemag.com/news/elvis-presley-legacy-explored-september-2017-issue

The Elvis content:

• The secret to Elvis’ legacy: his music

• Legacy Recordings rediscovers Elvis’ youth with a reissue of the “Boy From Tupelo” box set

• Top 10 Elvis box sets

• Graceland Makeover. We visit Graceland as it expands in time for Elvis Week.

• Top 10 Elvis films

• Elvis New Release Roundup

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »

Smithsonian Channel to Present the Story of the U.S. in AMERICA IN COLOR; Liev Schreiber Narrates

The expansive series takes viewers on a visually stunning journey through American history - including fascinating footage of illegal drinking in speakeasies during the 1920s, rare home movies of President Franklin D. Roosevelt during the Great Depression, scenes of the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Elvis Presley's television debut on the Ed Sullivan Show, and the Nixon-Kennedy debate. Using revolutionary methods in footage restoration and colorization, AMERICA IN COLOR accurately restores and colorizes archival black-and-white visuals from the early part of the 20th century up through the '60's. Filmmakers meticulously researched original colors to confirm the correct tones from each era and used source materials from obscure archives and forgotten family vaults.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Smithsonian-Channel-to-Present-the-Story-of-the-US-in-AMERICA-IN-COLOR-Liev-Schreiber-Narrates-20170630

I wonder if this will be Elvis' first appearance on Ed Sullivan's show or his actual debut on TV which happened on the Dorsey Bros. Stage Show.

It's a decade many consider to be America's glory years, despite fearful conflicts at home and abroad. Join us as we revisit the 1950s, when families reaped unprecedented riches, teens discovered rock 'n' roll, and a nation found itself in the throes of civil unrest and on the losing end of the Space Race. Through digital colorization, we present the most significant moments of this incredible decade like they've never been shown before, including the Korean War, the Little Rock Nine, Elvis Presley, and more.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/tv-schedule?tvScheduleDate=20170723

Here's the colorized Elvis footage. Thanks to the FECC forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=117hxUXEvCY

Just look at the Tupelo footage... Wow!!  Shocked  Really well done!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:18:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »

ELVIS - The Seven Ages of Elvis - (NEW Documentary 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GFO7zPA14

European pay-TV operator Sky Arts has commissioned a new documentary from Fireball TV and copro and distributor Raydar Media about the legendary singer Elvis Presley.

The Seven Ages of Elvis goes on a search to explore who Presley was and his impact on pop culture. Using Shakespeare’s “Seven Ages of Man” as a framework, the film examines his life act by act: from his impoverished childhood in the American South, through his rise to international fame, to his Las Vegas years and his death in 1977.

Combining archive material with personal testimonies from those who knew Presley best, the film sheds new light on his global success and asks why audiences are still drawn to him decades after his death. The doc is slated to premiere this year as to mark the 40th anniversary of the singer’s passing.

The Seven Ages of Elvis was commissioned by Barbara Lee, commissioning editor, Sky Arts. David Upshal is the producer and director; Alison Rayson, executive producer; Iris Maor, head of production; and Will Yates, producer.

http://backinmemphis.blogspot.de/2017/06/the-seven-ages-of-elvis-new-reality-doc.html

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »

Here's footage and sound of Elvis' opening night in Vegas in August 1970 (That's the way it is). Someone mixed bootleg footage with some other clips and sound from official releases. Not perfect but it's Elvis at his (or one of his) peak(s)

https://vimeo.com/73834270

Go here for a couple of more infos on the show:

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/Concert_expand.php?id=121

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »

Seen on the FECC board. Click on "watch again":

Watch: The King at B: Top Musicians Remember Elvis

https://livestream.com/accounts/24965350/events/7673221/player?width=640&height=360&enableInfoAndActivity=true&defaultDrawer=&autoPlay=true&mute=false&t=1504271707033

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »

Thanks to the FECC. Someone recorded the snippet of the new documentary that was played during Elvis-week. Here is his recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49E0rF0IunA&feature=youtu.be

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »

Here's a recent interview with Annette Wolf who was involved in the making of the infamous "Elvis in Concert" special from 1977.

Annette Wolf talks about Elvis In Concert 1977

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ounGOD5tCsw

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »

You know what? I'll change the topic title and make this a Presley thread for all news etc. I think that is better than to start a new thread everytime something that doesn't totally fit the description. The title can be changed everytime something new comes into focus.

I'm saying this because I wasn't sure about where I should post this new information, since I started a thread about the HBO documentary as well as this one about the 40th anniversary of his death.
So, a member of the FECC forum posted this information that he got from a Q&A with Priscilla Presley:

Spring of 2018. Narrated by Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty. 4 hours and shown in 2 parts.

I guess this is some the last work Tom Petty did  Sad

A little trivia:
When Elvis was filmimg "Follow that dream" in Florida, Tom Petty got to meet Elvis:

Tom Petty's love for rock 'n' roll began the day he met Elvis in Ocala

Tom Petty Discusses Meeting Elvis
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:24:37 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »

BBC4 is running a documentary on Dec. 29th.
I got the following infos and pictures of the FECC-messageboard:

Elvis: The Rebirth of the King

The widely accepted Elvis narrative is that The Vegas Period was the nadir of his career but this film argues that Elvis reached his peak, both as a singer and performer in the first few years of his Vegas period. He became, in those short years, the greatest performer on earth.

Elvis: Rebirth of The King, tracks this five year renaissance with some of his key musical and artistic collaborators of the period, including the creator of his most memorable jumpsuits, to celebrate the greatest pop reinvention of all time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas17tv/bbcfour#heading-elvis-the-rebirth-of-the-king

http://www.ericastarling.com/elvis-sings-vegas/

Not a very good picture the production company used. But at first they used a picture of an impersonator (!!) until they were told it wasn't the real Elvis.  Roll Eyes

Radio Times:

One user notes:

For those interested, the trailer included footage from the following ..... Las Vegas 1970 (TTWII), LA Forum 1970, Rapid City 1977 (Unchained Melody) and behind the scenes footage from GI Blues.

Credits
Role    Contributor
Director                   Mike Connolly
Executive Producer   Emma Cahusac
Executive Producer   Alison Millar
Executive Producer   Sam Collyns
Editor                    Adam Finch
Interviewed Guest   Steve Binder
Interviewed Guest   Terry Blackwood
Interviewed Guest   Tony Brown
Interviewed Guest   Gene Chrisman
Interviewed Guest   Tom Constanten
Interviewed Guest   Gene Doucette
Interviewed Guest   Larry Geller
Interviewed Guest   Ginger Holladay
Interviewed Guest   Mary Holladay
Interviewed Guest   Mark James
Interviewed Guest   George Klein
Interviewed Guest   Greil Marcus
Interviewed Guest   Jimmy Mulidore
Interviewed Guest   Bobby Wood
Interviewed Guest   Reggie Young
Archive Source           Roy Hamilton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09kkkbx
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 09:42:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »

BBC4 is running a documentary on Dec. 29th.
I got the following infos and pictures of the FECC-messageboard:

Elvis: The Rebirth of the King

The widely accepted Elvis narrative is that The Vegas Period was the nadir of his career but this film argues that Elvis reached his peak, both as a singer and performer in the first few years of his Vegas period. He became, in those short years, the greatest performer on earth.

Elvis: Rebirth of The King, tracks this five year renaissance with some of his key musical and artistic collaborators of the period, including the creator of his most memorable jumpsuits, to celebrate the greatest pop reinvention of all time!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/xmas17tv/bbcfour#heading-elvis-the-rebirth-of-the-king

http://www.ericastarling.com/elvis-sings-vegas/

Not a very good picture the production company used. But at first they used a picture of an impersonator (!!) until they were told it wasn't the real Elvis.  Roll Eyes

Radio Times:

One user notes:

For those interested, the trailer included footage from the following ..... Las Vegas 1970 (TTWII), LA Forum 1970, Rapid City 1977 (Unchained Melody) and behind the scenes footage from GI Blues.

Credits
Role    Contributor
Director                   Mike Connolly
Executive Producer   Emma Cahusac
Executive Producer   Alison Millar
Executive Producer   Sam Collyns
Editor                    Adam Finch
Interviewed Guest   Steve Binder
Interviewed Guest   Terry Blackwood
Interviewed Guest   Tony Brown
Interviewed Guest   Gene Chrisman
Interviewed Guest   Tom Constanten
Interviewed Guest   Gene Doucette
Interviewed Guest   Larry Geller
Interviewed Guest   Ginger Holladay
Interviewed Guest   Mary Holladay
Interviewed Guest   Mark James
Interviewed Guest   George Klein
Interviewed Guest   Greil Marcus
Interviewed Guest   Jimmy Mulidore
Interviewed Guest   Bobby Wood
Interviewed Guest   Reggie Young
Archive Source           Roy Hamilton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09kkkbx
Not a good photo to use for a doc about 69/70 Elvis in Vegas. There are lots of good shots of Elvis in those years, hope the show itself is better.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »

Not a good photo to use for a doc about 69/70 Elvis in Vegas. There are lots of good shots of Elvis in those years, hope the show itself is better.

Looking at the names that are listed, it sounds very promising. The picture on the other hand... The kind of things that shouldn't be messed up. But somehow they did it...

A user on the FECC message board posted this clip of the TV show "Where it's at" with Little Richard from 1968. They also talk about Rock'n'Roll in general and on that occasion show movie clips of Elvis in Toronto in 1957 that haven't been seen before. Very rare stuff and interesting. It starts at 2:22 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZjYpFjmalk

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2017, 03:22:45 AM »

The "Rebirth of the King" gets some positive reviews on the FECC messageboard, although it seems that the usual myths were told and that the quality of the footage wasn't overly impressive. So, I guess: nothing special, but probably nice as a way to get Presley to a "new" audience. Unfortunately I can't watch it on BBC for copyright reasons. Maybe it will be up on youtube soon.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2018, 04:21:32 AM »

Here's the documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPx3uZaq0Ug

EDIT

Unfortunately it has some soundproblems.
I like very much what Greil Marcus has to say about Elvis' performance of "Baby what you want me to do", but his comments on Elvis' '69 monologues are very over the top. Anyway, take a look and see what you think. I still have 10 mins. left to watch but all in all the documentary is ok.

EDIT 2

Without soundproblems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=lWNR6rttqJ8
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:14:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx