gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:04:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Wild Honey(Sunshine Tomorrow) 2CD Set?  (Read 179536 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »

“I wanted to have a home environment trip where we could record at my house,” recalls Brian Wilson in the liner notes for 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow. “I wanted to try something different, something new. I produced Smiley Smile, but Mike inspired me. He said ‘Brian, let’s make a really good, easygoing album’. We had an engineer convert my den into a studio. We had my piano detuned to make it ring more.”

"We all really dug Motown, right?...So Brian reckoned we should get more into a white R&B bag. I also recall around that time the band, and Brian in particular, getting criticized very heavily for sounding like choirboys."  - Carl Wilson.

Hey, nothing says easygoing album like bullying your cousin into giving up a hit tune cuz you have bills to pay. Jeesh, if only Mike learned the lawsuit game earlier in life to get cash, perhaps Redwood would've been a successful af band under the guidance of BW.

I wonder if that inspiration included Mike going to Heider's studio during a Redwood session Brian was producing, demanding the tapes from Brian as Carl stood by and watched, then walking out with them after shutting down the plans for the Redwood project Brian had been developing for Brother.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »

“I wanted to have a home environment trip where we could record at my house,” recalls Brian Wilson in the liner notes for 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow. “I wanted to try something different, something new. I produced Smiley Smile, but Mike inspired me. He said ‘Brian, let’s make a really good, easygoing album’. We had an engineer convert my den into a studio. We had my piano detuned to make it ring more.”

"We all really dug Motown, right?...So Brian reckoned we should get more into a white R&B bag. I also recall around that time the band, and Brian in particular, getting criticized very heavily for sounding like choirboys."  - Carl Wilson.

Hey, nothing says easygoing album like bullying your cousin into giving up a hit tune cuz you have bills to pay. Jeesh, if only Mike learned the lawsuit game earlier in life to get cash, perhaps Redwood would've been a successful af band under the guidance of BW.

I wonder if that inspiration included Mike going to Heider's studio during a Redwood session Brian was producing, demanding the tapes from Brian as Carl stood by and watched, then walking out with them after shutting down the plans for the Redwood project Brian had been developing for Brother.

Eyyy, Brian was only in tears during that incident, it's not like there were any hard feelings.

I am really looking forward to this set though, hopefully the session tracks will shed light on the production of the album...ya know, who was in the studio directing and stuff.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

Eyyy, Brian was only in tears during that incident, it's not like there were any hard feelings.

I am really looking forward to this set though, hopefully the session tracks will shed light on the production of the album...ya know, who was in the studio directing and stuff.

Well, that was Brian obviously. Calling the shots and all that, i.e. producing the album.

I guess there were no hard feelings, after the Redwood tapes walked out of Heider's with Mike. (sarcasm). That's inspiration if there ever was a way to inspire!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:52 PM »

I agree, it's the perfect era to try to pick up people who know the early stuff and PS, Wild Honey material is a great next step.

Definitely.

A little off topic, but a now sadly defunct college radio station in town (the station for Rice University, if you're wondering) used to play the sh*t out of tracks from WH. Well, the *only* time I ever heard any of my tracks played on the radio came about 8 years ago...and it came after they played "Aren't you Glad".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »

Well, that was Brian obviously. Calling the shots and all that, i.e. producing the album.

I guess there were no hard feelings, after the Redwood tapes walked out of Heider's with Mike. (sarcasm). That's inspiration if there ever was a way to inspire!

Obvious to anyone who actually listens to the music maybe. Not so obvious to the jackasses trying to convince everyone here it was all Carl a couple years ago.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2017, 09:59:32 PM »

At this time, Sunshine Tomorrow is currently sitting at #3 in Best Selling Rock Vinyl & CDs list on Amazon, a truly amazing sight to behold. I'm so ecstatic to see the Beach Boys and Wild Honey earning the wider recognition that they both deserve!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 26, 2017, 01:48:42 AM »

At this time, Sunshine Tomorrow is currently sitting at #3 in Best Selling Rock Vinyl & CDs list on Amazon, a truly amazing sight to behold. I'm so ecstatic to see the Beach Boys and Wild Honey earning the wider recognition that they both deserve!

It just gets better every day.

And how I love that cover art - who's responsible for this?

I never was too fond of the band name being done in, what is it? Neon light-y? I mean, like it's done on the Made In California cover - for me it is something, erm, semiotic: it marks the transition from the BBs 'art' into 'commerce', so to speak.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2017, 04:52:05 AM »

To return to topic, if the version of H&V really is a live Hawaii REHEARSAL, then I would expect it to be different from the last track on the Live In London/Concert twofer... which was a 'real' live recording from one of the actual Hawaii concerts. And I wouldn't expect it to be the version with the Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue, as that was from the STUDIO rehearsals at Heider's, back in LA...

The track's 4:45 long, so it might be the Heroes rehearsal track without the Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue over it, and with the many recorded sections sequenced together. The 'Lei'd in Hawaii' Heroes rehearsal I've previously downloaded was a lo-fi outtake, like the ones for God Only Knows (rehearsal) on Endless Harmony. From what I've heard, it's unfinished unlike the GV and God Only Knows rehearsals.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:56:02 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2017, 06:58:06 AM »

It just gets better every day.

And how I love that cover art - who's responsible for this?

I never was too fond of the band name being done in, what is it? Neon light-y? I mean, like it's done on the Made In California cover - for me it is something, erm, semiotic: it marks the transition from the BBs 'art' into 'commerce', so to speak.

Huge improvement from the artwork in TWGMTR and MiC, that's for sure.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:18 AM »

Wait, that's a misprint on the cover - shouldn't it be "Shunshine Tomorrow?"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2017, 07:13:20 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

How astute, old sport.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: May 26, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »

I don't know if it was just a coincidence or was programmed thusly, but I think it ended up being *genius* to announce "Sunshine Tomorrow" right as the Beatles "Pepper" deluxe set is hitting shelves.

I think many folks are looking to "Sunshine Tomorrow" as a sort of "meanwhile, The Beach Boys were doing this" sort of set, and while I'm not prepared to say anything negative about multiple discs of Beatles outtakes being released (waiting to get my hands on the set today!), it has to excite BRI and the Beach Boys to see people actually saying they're *as* excited, or even *more* excited about "Sunshine Tomorrow" than they are about the Pepper set.

I know I've run into a few BB fans now and then that have a hang up about the Beatles being better/more popular, etc. But this is all great, if partially inadvertent, marketing synergy. Frankly, any BB fan that digs 1967 BB music should pick up the Pepper set, *and* any Beatles fan that digs 1967 Beatles music should pick up "Sunshine Tomorrow."

And hopefully, Amazon's "People who bought this also bought...." feature will help as well, and for once I won't have to see that people who bought Sgt. Pepper also bought a can of bug spray, a six-pack of bath towels, and a box of Omaha Steaks, and instead will see "Sunshine Tomorrow" in that list.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 26, 2017, 08:37:51 AM »

To return to topic, if the version of H&V really is a live Hawaii REHEARSAL, then I would expect it to be different from the last track on the Live In London/Concert twofer... which was a 'real' live recording from one of the actual Hawaii concerts. And I wouldn't expect it to be the version with the Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue, as that was from the STUDIO rehearsals at Heider's, back in LA...

The track's 4:45 long, so it might be the Heroes rehearsal track without the Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue over it, and with the many recorded sections sequenced together. The 'Lei'd in Hawaii' Heroes rehearsal I've previously downloaded was a lo-fi outtake, like the ones for God Only Knows (rehearsal) on Endless Harmony. From what I've heard, it's unfinished unlike the GV and God Only Knows rehearsals.

Maybe the isolated Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue is a hidden track at the very end of the set?

In all seriousness, I actually would be surprised if there wasn't a hidden track on the set.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:39:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2017, 08:45:52 AM »

Maybe the isolated Mike 'Nuclear Bomb' monologue is a hidden track at the very end of the set?

In all seriousness, I actually would be surprised if there wasn't a hidden track on the set.

I wouldn't mind the projected H&V single w/I'm in Great Shape as a hidden track  Wink

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »

I've been singing it all week but now I'm singing this. Damn. LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »

Mike Love didn't put the kibosh on Brian's Redwood outside project in its' totality--only the extent of it.  Danny Hutton has said that at the time they were beginning recording an albums' worth of material w/ Brian producing but Mike said to him 'No--not an album we'll start with a single only' and Danny wouldn't hear of it, it's a full album or nothing he replied.  So Redwood got nothing.  If Danny had agreed to a trial 45 instead then Darlin' would have not been a Beach Boys single.  In Mike's defense I think he didn't want his cousins attention taken away by a whole LP's work outside the group but 2 songs were fine
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

Comments from Chuck Negron (as told to Howie Edelson), as well as what Brian Wilson directly told Ray Lawlor, are pretty damning:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,21301.msg518000.html#msg518000

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 10:55:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2017, 11:35:56 AM »

Mike was ruthless pulling the plug on Redwood, though a single only (brother Records label) was how Danny Hutton understood it at the time.  Brian offered to pay for recording a full album (even if he couldn't be producer) because he'd no doubt promised Danny that at the outset (apparently he wasn't taken up on that financial offer).  It's apparent Mike called the new Brother Records shots by this early incident and Brian learned that the hard way.  It's my belief that Mike's name was added to the Darlin' songwriting credit only AFTER Redwood refused a 45-only deal to start (but after some Redwood vocals had been recorded), interpreting the lyrics were modified by Mike (the title was a common Danny Hutton expression)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 11:37:09 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »

Check out this animated album cover from the band's Facebook.  Cool Guy

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2017, 11:37:26 AM »

That is sweet

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »

So cool!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Scaroline No
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »

I suddenly want a Wild Honey stained glass suncatcher or window sticker!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

Nothing new but the press release is now also up on the official site:

https://www.thebeachboys.com/news/beach-boys-open-vaults-1967-sunshine-tomorrow-be-released-worldwide-june-30

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »

Mike was ruthless pulling the plug on Redwood, though a single only (brother Records label) was how Danny Hutton understood it at the time.  Brian offered to pay for recording a full album (even if he couldn't be producer) because he'd no doubt promised Danny that at the outset (apparently he wasn't taken up on that financial offer).  It's apparent Mike called the new Brother Records shots by this early incident and Brian learned that the hard way.  It's my belief that Mike's name was added to the Darlin' songwriting credit only AFTER Redwood refused a 45-only deal to start (but after some Redwood vocals had been recorded), interpreting the lyrics were modified by Mike (the title was a common Danny Hutton expression)

Darlin' was a rewrite of Thinkin' Bout You Baby which was a Wilson-Love song, so wouldn't he have to be credited as a co-writer?  Or can you replace lyrics and if the original co-writer only wrote the original lyrics, can you drop them off of the remake?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2017, 07:08:13 AM »

Mike told me that he was literally finishing the lyrics to "Darlin'" during the tracking session (he said the same was true of writing the final lyrics to "Wild Honey.")
I specifically asked if the plan was to do the same to "Hide And Go Seek" (e.g. take an early giveaway and revamp it) and he had no recollection of that.

But to answer the question, Mike said that his contribution was definitely to "Darlin'" -- not merely the lyricist to "Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx